Josh Gordon defends his work ethic after criticism

Josh Gordon AP

Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has spent a lot of time apologizing and/or explaining himself since the end of last season.

There’s the suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, which Gordon said was triggered by codeine in medicine for a sore throat, and the decision to hang out with Cleveland public enemy No. 1 LeBron James after the Heat won the NBA title this year each led to acts of contrition from Gordon. Gordon took a more defensive stance on Saturday when asked about criticism that he loafs during practice and doesn’t work as hard as he should to become a better player.

Gordon said that those who criticize him for not spending extra time working with Brandon Weeden after practice don’t see that he’s in the trainer’s room to get treatment for his patellar tendinitis.

“[As for] loafing, I mean certain people see different things when they look at me run or look at me move,” said Gordon, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It might look slow ‘cause I’m a little bit larger to play at my position. So it might be a little bit deceptive, hard to look at it. It looks like, compared to everybody else, a little bit shorter strides, shorter movements, but I go out here 100 percent every day I come out here.”

While team CEO Joe Banner has made it clear that there’s only so much rope left for Gordon after getting suspended on the heels of positive drug tests in college, the wideout says he hasn’t heard any complaints from the coaching staff about his practice habits. If those habits help produce a strong season post-suspension, Gordon will likely be able to  take a break from defending himself from criticism in the future. If not, that rope will be even shorter for Gordon in Cleveland.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Josh Gordon defends his work ethic after criticism”
  1. drfeelyouup says: Aug 11, 2013 10:47 AM

When you have to defend your work habits, there is a problem.

2. wryly1 says: Aug 11, 2013 11:08 AM

Kid has the talent and opportunity to maybe be a top 10 WR but is blowing it.

3. 1oldpro says: Aug 11, 2013 11:48 AM

I know it’s hard to defend himself in the midst of turmoil, but he’s not good at it and I wonder why the team is giving access to him.
    His life patterns need to change quickly.

4. stephenolszewski says: Aug 11, 2013 12:40 PM

Gordon and Little would be such a nice combo, with Little putting in the hard work now it’s time for Gordon to get it together

5. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 11, 2013 1:18 PM

The City of Cleveland needs to get over LeBron James. If Josh Gordon wants to be friends with the man and celebrate with him when he becomes a world champ, he can.

6. brownsfan5505 says: Aug 11, 2013 1:47 PM

Dont know why he cant party with lebron in June? Its not regular season and the dude is 21 or 22 years old, let the kid have fun in the offseason. Sounds like in practice he is still beating cbs on the long ball and he his hobbled with tendinitis. Let his play this yr speak for hi work ethic before we judge

7. vegasdogg says: Aug 11, 2013 2:04 PM

His practice routine is being blown WAY out of proportion. Guy comes in last year on the Sup Draft, has no mini-camp or classroom time to LEARN what it means to be a pro, coupled with the fact he had no practice legs, and proceeded to climb into the WR1 role.

Look does he need to grow up? Sure. Is he in a solid locker room to help him do this? Yes. It is a young but very mature locker room with VERY good veteran leadership. Joe Thomas – DQ Jackson – Joe Haden – TJ Ward – A Rubin – Weeden – Norv Turner – Chudzinski.

The press is doing their job and coming down hard on diva young players. I get that, really I do. But in this case I think the kid just needs some maturity and exposure to success and veterans there to help him succeed.

Do I buy it that his 2 game was for Codeine? Yeah, otherwise why reduce it from 4 – 2 games.

Lots of people are pulling for Josh Gordon. I hope he knows this, because the vocal minority gets all the press. He is a good guy and has a strong locker room to guide him.

Hopefully those influences trump the bumps in the road from his past.

GO BROWNS!!!

8. officialgame says: Aug 11, 2013 3:32 PM

When you have to defend your work ethic it means you don’t have one.

9. vegasdogg says: Aug 11, 2013 3:43 PM

p.s. Please don’t forget Shurmur was the OC/HC.

10. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 11, 2013 4:39 PM

If I had to play for the browns I wouldnt have much of a work ethic either.

11. brannu23 says: Aug 11, 2013 5:15 PM

Once anyone in life is labeled as “something” in our world, their behavior goes under the microscope. Inescapable.

12. thegame2love says: Aug 11, 2013 10:55 PM

His parents should be embarrass.

13. thegame2love says: Aug 11, 2013 10:57 PM

His parents should be embarrassed.