Asomugha still confident in his skills

Nnamdi Asomugha, Gerell Robinson AP

Earlier this month, 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said “the jury is still out” on veteran cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

But Asomugha himself has a different opinion, saying he doesn’t think he’s fallen off from a physical standpoint.

“I’ve been out there making plays and doing a lot of the things that I know I can do,” Asomugha said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. “So my confidence is in a good place. . . .

“I’m highly critical of myself – highly, highly critical of myself. So there’s not much that someone else might say that makes me feel like I need to be motivated in a different way. Like I said, I’m a self-motivated guy. And I’m probably saying worse [things] than the next guy’s saying anyway.”

Despite his high profile and former big-money contracts, Asomugha is effectively a no-lose proposition for the 49ers. With no guaranteed money, there’s no financial cost to cut him, and if he can get back to his pre-Eagles form, they will have found a bargain.

He’s working as a starter at the moment because of some injuries, but if he can keep his confidence, he should still be able to help a defense.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
15 Responses to “Asomugha still confident in his skills”
  1. bombayjon says: Aug 12, 2013 1:08 PM

Come on home to Oakland, Nnamdi.

2. kane337 says: Aug 12, 2013 1:09 PM

Julio Jones still confident he will toast him again.

3. 12444uggg says: Aug 12, 2013 1:13 PM

I’m sure he’d still be good if every WR in the league couldn’t run past him.

4. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 12, 2013 1:17 PM

bombayjon says:
    Aug 12, 2013 1:08 PM

Come on home to Oakland, Nnamdi.
    ________________________________

I hear it is the perfect vacation spot this time of year.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

5. realfootballfan says: Aug 12, 2013 1:19 PM

He’s lost a step, but I doubt it is as severe as he displayed in Philadelphia last year. He’s simply not a zone cornerback. If the 49ers put him back in his comfort zone, I think it will pay dividends with a nice season from him. He still has a lot of football left in him, but who could blame him for cashing out and getting home to that wife of his.

6. trytobnimble says: Aug 12, 2013 1:38 PM

He’s going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. Good luck San Fran fans.

7. sheriffrickgrimes says: Aug 12, 2013 1:40 PM

It’s gonna be a dogfight between Nnamdi and Perrish Cox for that 3rd CB spot. Cox has been lo6oking real good lately.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Was a lack of confidence Mugha’s problem in Philly? Need a short memory to play CB in the NFL.

9. doe22us says: Aug 12, 2013 1:48 PM

Nnamdi will make the team if not in San Fran elsewhere, teams are always looking for CB help. Also he has what $6m or so coming from the eagles he is not sweating.

10. despenc925 says: Aug 12, 2013 1:52 PM

i think he’ll be fine. you’ll get toasted too if you had a bad front 7 that never gave quarterbacks pressure like the eagles had (or still have). with the pressure the 49ers will give, he’ll do just fine

11. demolition510 says: Aug 12, 2013 2:01 PM

Nnamdi was tapping that last season and body was obviously burnt out. Now that he’s married, I think he’ll have more energy out there in the field

12. sfniners4life says: Aug 12, 2013 2:11 PM

Before culliver injury I would say he lucky to make team but now I believe he will get that 3rd spot and play strictly outside so Rodgers can come down and lock up the slot guy. I believe he will be worth what we payed him. He may even turn it around here like Rodgers did a few years back.

13. 49erstim says: Aug 12, 2013 2:53 PM

He looked good sporting red and gold. I obviously expect him to make the squad and as Gantt pointed out it’s win/win for ‘Frisco anyway. He’s being pushed so if he makes the squad it’ll be because he earned it.

14. uplate5301 says: Aug 12, 2013 3:13 PM

He put a very nice lick on Robinson in the Denver game…. something he hasn’t been particularly well known-for of late. I’m encouraged.

15. davereckon says: Aug 12, 2013 6:44 PM

realfootballfan | Aug 12, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
    ———————————-
    Typically, when you lose a step, coordinators will put you in more zone coverage……and he lost more than 1 step.

Going from top dollar free agent, to MAYBE making the roster as the 3rd corner, is waaaay more than a step.