Carl Nicks dealing with permanent toe injury

Nicks AP

Last year, the Buccaneers splurged on three big-name free agents:  Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Eric Wright.

Wright already is gone.  While Nicks is still there, he’s not really there — because of a toe injury that will always be there for Nicks.

Nicks showed up for camp with his foot heavily bandaged, and he has participated sparingly in practice.  He explained to reporters that it’s a condition that won’t completely be going away.  Ever.

I will have to deal with it my whole life,” Nicks said, via JoeBucsFan.com.  “Honestly, it is not 100 percent, yet. I plan on playing some this next preseason game and obviously, the third one.  We will see how it goes.”

Regardless of how it goes, it’s never going away.

“I have all the confidence in the world I will be back to playing,” Nicks said.  “I will just have to deal with it my whole life.  I would lie if I told you it didn’t affect me at all.  It affects the way I walk, the way I stand around.  I have to stand a certain kind of way.  It is something I just have to deal with.  I don’t want to get into taking painkillers and not knowing if it is hurting.”

It’s unclear whether Nicks is suffering from turf toe or some other toe injury.  Regardless, it’s affecting him — and it will be affecting him forever.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
18 Responses to “Carl Nicks dealing with permanent toe injury”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 12, 2013 2:41 PM

He’s toen deaf.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 12, 2013 2:41 PM

Big toe injuries are bad, and little toe injuries are no fun, either. But injuries to your permanent toe are the worst.

3. willbrownimaging says: Aug 12, 2013 2:56 PM

The same kind of toe injury ended Jon Ogden’s career.

He played for several seasons barely practicing, and getting an injection on Sunday in order to play. Carl Nicks is an excellent Guard. I don’t know what the long-term ramifications are of doing what Ogden did…hopefully Nicks reached out and got a little guidance on what the best course is, plus how it will affect him down the road.

Tough situation.

4. westampa says: Aug 12, 2013 3:00 PM

Since he didn’t have a history of foot injuries I doubt that he had foot xrays before signing. I can’t help but wondering if they would have noticed something if they wold have taken xrays. It should be mandatory to xray the feet of guys over 300lbs before making this kind of investment. Call me skeptical, but I don’t think week 2 of last season ws the first time this guy ever had his foot swell.

5. jgslamdunk says: Aug 12, 2013 3:02 PM

He’s all toe up

6. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Just whack it off ala Ronnie Lott.

7. whysomanylosers says: Aug 12, 2013 3:04 PM

translation: “I’ll be hurt all year and out of football by this time next year…”

Hope I am wrong, but this does not look good for the Bucs.

8. ccjcsr says: Aug 12, 2013 3:48 PM

I guess the Bucs didn’t think this was a problem when they signed him to all that money…lol!

#DumbMove

9. jjb0811 says: Aug 12, 2013 3:53 PM

Proves why the draft is better than FA.

10. mrlaloosh says: Aug 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Oops. A little VooDoo from NOLA. Ask Meachem how that works.
    You’re next Bushrod.

11. spicymudbugs says: Aug 12, 2013 4:01 PM

That sucks
    Sgt. Hulka

12. evilglazers666 says: Aug 12, 2013 4:37 PM

Maybe the Glazers can find some way to cut him and not pay him? They are usually pretty good at that.

13. tpa43 says: Aug 12, 2013 4:47 PM

Is there ever any good news? Hillis injured. Bowers is a bust. Revis signed to mega deal with torn ACL. Nicks injured for life and now Martin won’t be as effective. Gave Mike Williams #1WR money. Eric Wright signed mega deal then cut, then signed, then cut, then traded then cut. Connor Barth injured and cut. Dan Orlovsky is on the team. Myron Lewis bust cut. All recently. Woahzers!

14. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 12, 2013 5:19 PM

Geeze Nicks don’t give away the farm or anything.

All he should have said was “it’s a toe injury and I’m day to day”.

15. dcsween says: Aug 12, 2013 5:49 PM

Its not that it won’t go away. Its that it won’t grow back. It was cut off to cover the ransom for Bunny Lebowski.

16. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 12, 2013 7:13 PM

I’m starting to believe NFL GMs would be wise to avoid high price veteran free agents and build their teams through the draft.

17. ningenito78 says: Aug 13, 2013 12:09 AM

Another notch in Mickey Loomis’ belt. Just another reason he’s one of the best in the business.

18. mmeredith82 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:31 PM

Nicks will be fine, he’s just saying that he’s always going to have to play through some pain. Nicks loves football and dominating defenders. He’ll be out there week 1 and be fine.