James Harrison not a fan of Hard Knocks, people

James Harrison AP

Bengals linebacker James Harrison has made it clear, he doesn’t like reporters, and he doesn’t like television cameras. Magazines which feature him shirtless and brandishing guns and inflammatory opinions are apparently the lone exception to his attitude toward the media.

So when his team allowed HBO’s Hard Knocks crew to embed itself in camp, Harrison wasn’t pleased.

I don’t feel they deserve to be here,” Harrison said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “They did nothing to be here, other than want to be here,” he said. “They didn’t put no blood, sweat and tears into none of this. All these men in here, they did that. They [the cameras] did nothing. No one deserves to see this, to come inside of this unless you’re a part of this. That’s why.”

Harrison has also described it as a “pain in the [butt].”

It also turned him into a bit of a trespasser, as he jumped into a car of a unknown passerby to avoid the cameras.

“It’s kind of like this: Everybody knows I’m getting into the car with him. There’s a bunch of cameras watching me get in the car. It wouldn’t be too smart. They’ve got his license plate and everything else,” Harrison said. “And plus, I think I can kind of handle myself. He’s driving and I’m behind him, so I think I’d be all right.”

Of course, it’s not just the camera crews. Harrison has been available to the Cincinnati media, but made it clear he’s not there to be pals.

Nothing against you personally,” he said. “You might be a good guy. I just don’t like your profession.”

Permalink 129 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
129 Responses to “James Harrison not a fan of Hard Knocks, people”
  1. steelbydesign says: Aug 13, 2013 9:59 AM

Well the Steelers are about business, and the Bengals are about making money.

2. mdpickles says: Aug 13, 2013 10:00 AM

You see, the thing with James Harrison is, you can’t tell if he has a concussion or not.

3. ravenmuscle says: Aug 13, 2013 10:01 AM

Harrison can’t spell his own name.

End of story.

4. 1heatedtoombrayduh says: Aug 13, 2013 10:01 AM

Just based of persona alone, i didnt think he was a fan of people…If i was the cameraman I’d be scared he may eat me…dude is terrifying lol

5. jebbiesmallz says: Aug 13, 2013 10:01 AM

It’s not Harrison’s obligation to justify the economics of professional football, or to placate a bunch of whiny media types. Beyond the league mandated availability post-game, why should he care?

His responsibility is to stay fit, hit people, and obey the coaches. It’s not his job to start daisy chains.

6. pryor4heisman says: Aug 13, 2013 10:02 AM

ROID RAGE

7. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Aug 13, 2013 10:02 AM

8. spellingcops says: Aug 13, 2013 10:03 AM

I think if I were in his shoes, if hate the media as well. Maybe if they weren’t so intrusive, or could come up with good thought out questions it’d be a different story.

9. mickmars says: Aug 13, 2013 10:03 AM

This ass clown would probably be in jail for knocking off a 7-11 if it weren’t for football. I give him credit for busting his tail to get there,but just shut your mouth James. Nobody wants to hear your whining about the “evil media”.

10. iceburgskin202 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:05 AM

He needs a hug or some skittles!!!!

11. olcap says: Aug 13, 2013 10:07 AM

Yes, one should always smile and sell their soul to the devil for a huge paycheck.

12. larrydavid7000 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:08 AM

Its guys like Harrison who have to walk around mad at the world or scarce people and get off on it.Are the kind of people I would like to meet in an alley and kick the crap out of them.

13. hakunamangata says: Aug 13, 2013 10:08 AM

James;
    YOU PLAY FOOTBALL.
    THE FANS WATCH FOOTBALL.
    THE MEDIA COVERS FOOTBALL FOR THE FANS.

Do you get it? If you want anonymity give up the paychecks and go work in a toll booth. No one will bother you there.

14. vincentbojackson says: Aug 13, 2013 10:10 AM

James is certainly a different breed and has always had trouble accepting the things that come along with fame. However, nobody ever questions the guy’s intensity and work ethic.

15. fdugrad says: Aug 13, 2013 10:10 AM

“They didn’t put no blood, sweat and tears into none of this.” Perhaps it’s not that he really dislikes the media. It could be simply an unfamiliarity with the English language the reporters are utilizing when they attempt to talk with him.

16. schmitty2 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:10 AM

Whether you hate Harrison or love him most would agree he is one intimidating man.

17. vdogg says: Aug 13, 2013 10:11 AM

“So basically, Harrison’s a grouchy old man, who would prefer you to get off his lawn.”

When will the media ever get it? You are not an important part of the story. The fact that media types have become celebrities is just sickening. If you’re good at your job, great. But don’t try to make this whole sob story about how the athletes are mean to you….the media didn’t create the NFL, the people in the media didn’t popularize it either, the gigantic TV contracts did that. The money these guys earn is inflated by those deals being made, not because some guy with a mic is talking about it. They can put anybody in front of the camera (Emmitt Smith, Dan Dierdorf, Dennis Miller) and the game still stays popular.

18. kd75 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:14 AM

Philophobia…

You know what they put in? Straight Cash Homie!

That increases the NFL’s revenue stream and inflates the salary cap allowing you to earn more money.

19. edawg7l says: Aug 13, 2013 10:14 AM

I’m a Cleveland fan and I am willing to admit this – Pittsburgh is smart when it comes to managing their players. Wallace will prove to be a waste in Miami and Harrison took less to play in Cinnci after demanding too much in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers are dealing players to your team, more often than not, your team is getting the bad end of the deal. Harrison will prove to be a loud, overpriced player with diminishing skills.

20. datd00d says: Aug 13, 2013 10:14 AM

Regardless, Harrison has been one of the most entertaining guys on the show. Aaron Maybin said it best, “We’re all alone out there. James Harrison is just less apologetic about it.”

It’s makes me happy to know there are old school guys still like him still running around.

21. randomfan999 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:15 AM

People will bash Harrison, and yes he gets paid to play football, and the media covers football for the fans, but honestly, does anyone REALLY care all that much what he has to say day-to-day? He’s a no BS guy. He gets paid to play and that’s what he does. He works hard at his job and he’s good at it. He’s not a QB or a star WR. He gets paid to stop the ballcarrier, not spit out the same old jargon we hear day in and day out from NFL players.

22. govikes82 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:16 AM

I can understand why athletes harbor a dislike for media, but to comment or be rude is not professional. If he hates the media so much he should ignore them altogether. A tough guy with thin-skin makes no sense.

23. nananatman says: Aug 13, 2013 10:17 AM

24×7 roid rage? I like football but a lot of those players don’t deserve to be there. They didn’t put honest work into their profession, it isn’t honest competition. It is a competition of who has an edge nobody knows about. When this guy retires we can just plug in another and the team will have all the same fans, the brand will live on without you. Oh and stop telling people you have your “hand in the dirt.” You know who really has their “hand in the dirt?” Laborers, builders, military, police, target employees, we have our hands in the dirt. You play a game.

24. bizono says: Aug 13, 2013 10:17 AM

He’s not so tough. I saw him eating ice cream.

25. acmepackers says: Aug 13, 2013 10:17 AM

I’m special, I’m entitled, I’m better than you. Thanks, James.

26. Steeley McBeam says: Aug 13, 2013 10:17 AM

Maybe part of his problem is that writers like you deduce that he doesn’t like “people,” when he clearly said its nothing personal and doesnt like the medias profession.

Where in any of that did he say he doesnt like people? You simply added that to the headline to make him look bad….

27. lovefootball4life says: Aug 13, 2013 10:24 AM

steelbydesign says: Aug 13, 2013 9:59 AM

Well the Steelers are about business, and the Bengals are about making money.

~~~~

Well aren’t businesses “in business” to make money? Steelers don’t do it for the sake of the game. Its about exposure and fan base which leads to money. Steelers are no exception.

Harrison may not like it but he is asked to tolerate it in a professional manner. It is the machine that fills his bank account.

28. buckhuckster says: Aug 13, 2013 10:24 AM

Man, he’s dumb.

I’m only saying this because I’m hiding behind a keyboard. It would be a different situation if Harrison and I were face to face.

29. DaveKShape says: Aug 13, 2013 10:25 AM

I don’t think this guy perceives reality the same way that most people do. It’s a bunch of people with cameras making a TV show – of course they didn’t put in the “blood, sweat, and tears” to be football players. That’s why they’re… you know, making a TV show. Not saying it’s necessarily wrong, but the guy’s line of thinking is clearly off-kilter.

30. r8rsfan says: Aug 13, 2013 10:25 AM

Would love to see Colleen Dominguez ask him if he knows which actor he looks like.

31. im4cincy says: Aug 13, 2013 10:27 AM

I am scared of James Harrison and I pray that I never make eye contact with him for fear of wetting myself.

The dude is a savage and I think anybody would welcome that type of mentality on the roster of their favorite team. Mine happens to be Cincinnati.

32. realskipbayless says: Aug 13, 2013 10:28 AM

larrydavid7000 says:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:08 AM

I hope your wish comes true and you meet James in a dark alley. I want to see you try to kick the crap outta him. James Harrison could probably beat you up with just his pinkys.

33. uwachampion says: Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM

Here is a newsflash James….Most people don’t like you either.

34. wtfchiefs says: Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM

Other things Harrison dislikes:

Puppies
    Babies
    Kittens
    His mom
    Smiling
    Laughing
    People that breathe air

35. ravanator says: Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM

36. tgifcarterthefourththefifth says: Aug 13, 2013 10:31 AM

Whine me a river Harrison…. I’d like to see him spend a week in Afghanistan and see the kind of blood, sweat and tears our soliders put in, while getting paid crap!

37. ryann252013 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:32 AM

Here James, eat a snickers.

38. troy43mvp says: Aug 13, 2013 10:33 AM

“To date, however, there’s no record of Harrison complaining about the size of the paychecks he receives. You know, the checks swollen by the league’s year-round popularity which allowed the NFL to sign broadcast deals worth billions of dollars”

Gantt, he gets payed to be a linebacker. Nothing more. If he does his job poorly he is no longer there. He is not agreeing to help HBO make a football show. If he finds it distracting that’s his right. Reggie Bush said that the same show edited the footage to make it look like the coaches were having a problem with him, which was not true. Now if made an agreement to be a part of the show and didn’t follow up with what he agreed to do then you have a story.

39. stampnhawk says: Aug 13, 2013 10:33 AM

Like the opinion or not, he’s allowed to have one. It’s not as if he’s dismissing his obligations to his team with this.

Always interesting to see the media get bent out of shape when they get attacked, hiding behind the “we’re doing this job on behalf of the common fans”, them turning around and asking questions only the dumbest fans would ask and egging players on in looking for a reaction or scoop, which the common fans would have more tact and common sense.

40. desal2ds says: Aug 13, 2013 10:33 AM

Media does blow whether it be the evening news or sports. I don’t blame him for not grandstanding or closing doors. However James for guys like me who can’t play football and love it, hard Knicks is pretty damn neat. I love watching what the coaches are saying. Especially coach Zimmer he is great. However I do understand why teams say no to this show.

41. eatitfanboy says: Aug 13, 2013 10:36 AM

So what’s his excuse for having his back to the rest of his fellow linebackers and his coaches while they watch tape together and he watches it on his own private screen? And the disrespect he showed for Jay Gruden?

I have nothing against the guy personally, but he has major socialization issues. He has a long life in front of him and no one is going to make excuses for him anymore when he is no longer able to play football. He’d better learn some social skills or it’s going to be a rough ride.

42. overweightman says: Aug 13, 2013 10:36 AM

He sounds like the celebrities that live in Hollywood and complain about the paparazi… You don’t like the attention, pick a different profession.

43. purpleguy says: Aug 13, 2013 10:37 AM

Hey, it’s a free country, and he has as much right to criticize the media as he wants, subject to everyone else criticizing him for trashing a media driven practice common and expected in his public-profile profession. At least the guy’s honest.

44. troy43mvp says: Aug 13, 2013 10:37 AM

paid

45. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 13, 2013 10:38 AM

The Steelers would never stoop so low.

46. shackdelrio says: Aug 13, 2013 10:40 AM

Overrated

47. steeelfann says: Aug 13, 2013 10:41 AM

How do you not love Harrison!!!!!!!!!! Go Debo!!!!!

48. bmoreravens1012013 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:43 AM

James Harrison is an idiot!(shocker right) He’s the type that gives NFL players a bad name. He is the type of player that could get hurt and end his career, and I wouldnt bat an eye. I’ll be glad when he’s gone from the league, but we all know Cincinnati is a last ditch effort so after he wears out his welcome, it’ll be it for ol James….

49. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Aug 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Yea, I couldn’t tell by the way he was flippen off the camera men every two minutes or just plain slammin the doors in their faces.

50. packerihardlyknowher says: Aug 13, 2013 10:51 AM

So sick of people pointing out the poor grammar in players’ statements. They are not English professors and you know what they’re saying. You should just focus on the content. Also he doesn’t have to like the media just because the media has made him wealthier. He can obviously get away with disliking the media and still make money. And from the looks of the dozens of comments this article has received, it looks like he is helping out the media by hating the media. I would prefer someone to be candid about how they feel rather than give the answer you want to hear. Otherwise whats the point of asking someone a question? Wish more politicians would take that approach.

51. steelfan1 says: Aug 13, 2013 10:56 AM

If any of you folks truly dislike everything Harrison had to say, then i recommend you go into a dark alley with him and air your your opinion.

52. ravenmuscle says: Aug 13, 2013 10:57 AM

Anybody ever hear what Harrison’s IQ was or if he ever took the Wonderlic test. I’ll bet if you added both his scores together they would still only add up to 50.

53. eatitfanboy says: Aug 13, 2013 11:00 AM

ravanator says:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM

Um…….you mean except for the Ravens, who were on Hard Knocks the year after they won their first Super Bowl?

54. tombradyswig says: Aug 13, 2013 11:05 AM

If he wasn’t in the NFL, he’d be locked up for murder!!

CAAAARRRRRRaaaaZZZZZyyyyy!!

55. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 13, 2013 11:08 AM

bmoreravens1012013 | Aug 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT

Does bleach boy Suggs ring a bell for idiots! As a Raven fan calling any player an idiot is hilarious….just look for a white suit hypocrite.

56. funkels says: Aug 13, 2013 11:09 AM

Ironically, he is helping the media and HBO. Everyone will watch to see what he does next. It’s pretty hilarious.

57. cfeeley52 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:09 AM

ravanator says:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM
    ————————————
    Actually the pilot season was filmed with the ravens, they were the first team to ever appear on the show…

58. stainlessstill says: Aug 13, 2013 11:10 AM

Lmao, this is awesome. Harrison has so many people fooled. I’ve met James Harrison many times and he’s actually a pretty nice dude and he’s actually funny as hell. He’s a downright nasty player on the field and toys with the media so damn hard. It’s part of his exterior but outside of football, the guy is actually really nice (to my astonishment.)

A diehard Steelers fan I am, I thank James for his contributions for my favorite team over the years. His work ethic is second to none. An old-school type mentality.

Too bad he went to a rival where he is laughably out of place in that 4-3 defense. Dude is going to get picked on mercifully this season.

59. dvnelson72 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:12 AM

let me get this straight. Harrison jumped in some guy’s car without asking him.

And…

It is ok because James can “handle myself” and “I’m behind him, so I think I’d be all right” ????

No one else noticed this. Picture it. You are driving along and some dude jumps in your car in the back seat. He’s huge and [probably] surly.

I would argue he should be in jail. It sounds like a car jacking. I mean, did he order the dude to drive somewhere? Or was it like an action movie where the bank robber says “just keep driving”.

I’m shocked the guy didn’t just flee the car at a red light.

Harrison is lucky he didn’t jump in with someone who has a concealed carry permit. Jebus!

But it’s ok. Harrison can handle himself. Meanwhile some poor immasculated little man is crying himself to sleep about the event.

60. luxm40 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:16 AM

“ravanator says:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM
    You will never see a classy organization that is accustomed to winning being filmed for Hard Knocks. The show is for losers with no goals. Perfect for the Bengals!”

Coming from a fan of the team WHO STARTED HARD KNOCKS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Because the Ravens are “super classy”. As usual …. Quite the brilliant comment from ravanator. Can’t wait to see the “class-less” Bengals play ur classy Ravens this fall. We’re better top to bottom this year. Who-Dey!

61. siggtacular says: Aug 13, 2013 11:17 AM

Big bungle baby

62. 25yearindyfan says: Aug 13, 2013 11:18 AM

He is afraid the cameras might catch him trying to eat a teammate while he sleeps. Big Dumb Animal.

63. nocitpeced says: Aug 13, 2013 11:27 AM

ravanator says:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:29 AM
    ————————————————————-

Ravens did the first Hard Knocks in 2001. Good job inadvertently calling your own team losers with no goals.

64. fryeways says: Aug 13, 2013 11:28 AM

I detest this moron, and have ever since he bought an aggressively-bred pit bull that attacked his own child, because he thinks a dog like that makes him tough. All it does is hurt adoption rates for non-aggressive shelter-bound pit bulls who deserve a good home.

65. jpaq68 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:29 AM

He may be a grouchy old man, but he’s no Marv Levy.

66. joewilliesshnoz says: Aug 13, 2013 11:34 AM

John Amos on steroids.

67. officialgame says: Aug 13, 2013 11:39 AM

The only thing he likes are his PED’s and a needle.

68. larrydavid7000 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:39 AM

@therealskipbayless. I am 6’4 260lb. Solid muscle and an athlete all of my life.I think I hand handle myself.

69. stainlessstill says: Aug 13, 2013 11:45 AM

BAHAHAHA. Raventaintor just got owned.

70. fdugrad says: Aug 13, 2013 11:54 AM

Of course, when football is done with him in the VERY near future, he will be begging ESPN or The NFL Ch. or NBC for an on air job.

71. phishan says: Aug 13, 2013 11:55 AM

people talk a lot about the Bengals being cheap. I don’t know but those facilities and meeting rooms looked pretty nice. Hell, even the utility vehicles were painted in Bengals stripes.. Just seems that a cheap organization wouldn’t of bothered to have that done..Also Harrison hates media but he is a Facebook junkie. He updates every 5 minutes. Who Dey!

72. maximusprime107 says: Aug 13, 2013 12:00 PM

Oh I’m sorry you can’t comply with something that goes with the stigma of getting paid millions of dollars

73. lt1976 says: Aug 13, 2013 12:06 PM

Ok, by his line of argumentation “They didn’t put no blood, sweat and tears into none of this. All these men in here, they did that. “, the fans that wanna watch their team practice don´t belong there either.

I actually used to like him, but the more he says…

74. peytonwantsaflag says: Aug 13, 2013 12:10 PM

well considering anybody with a computer can start a blog and call themselves a journalist, he’s kind of got a point

75. tindeaux says: Aug 13, 2013 12:17 PM

this dude’s life must suck. he seems to be bitter about lots of things.
    Get on with life man. people just try to make a living. no harm, no foul.

— although i’m not a fan of hard knock.

76. i10east says: Aug 13, 2013 12:21 PM

GODell will probably fine him for saying that. If you talk unkindly about a NFL related product, the NFL strikes back.

77. drunkenpackblogger says: Aug 13, 2013 12:27 PM

Shouldn’t he be mad at the Bengals organization for allowing them to be there and not the camera guys whose job it is to be there?

78. dbennett65 says: Aug 13, 2013 12:29 PM

To date, however, there’s no record of Harrison complaining about the size of the paychecks he receives. You know, the checks swollen by the league’s year-round popularity which allowed the NFL to sign broadcast deals worth billions of dollars.”

That snide remark is why Harrison and others have a distaste for journalists.

79. brutus9448 says: Aug 13, 2013 12:29 PM

someone tell this guy that he has a job because of the cameras. Without cameras there would be no NFL.

80. walkinginthewasteland says: Aug 13, 2013 12:40 PM

dvnelson72 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:12 AM

let me get this straight. Harrison jumped in some guy’s car without asking him.

I’m shocked the guy didn’t just flee the car at a red light.

_______

True, Bengals fans are used to players jumping in the back of pickups.

81. chiadam says: Aug 13, 2013 12:47 PM

Is there anything that he does like?

82. mackcarrington says: Aug 13, 2013 1:06 PM

If you Google “James Harrison Men’s Journal article” you will find an account of him slapping the mother of his child in 2008.

83. kronadon says: Aug 13, 2013 1:09 PM

dvnelson72 says:Aug 13, 2013 11:12 AM

let me get this straight. Harrison jumped in some guy’s car without asking him.

And…

I’m shocked the guy didn’t just flee the car at a red light.

*******************************
    the guys was sitting on the road between the stadium and practice field. there are people with helmets and jerseys all over. a guy in a 92 jersey with cleats and a helmet gets in your car and he looks like Debo. i would say the person knew exactly who got in his car.

84. rukkus1 says: Aug 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Who cares hes a human being entitled to have his own perception. If I had cameras on me all day id get annoyed a little too… and if I had someone writing stories picking apart everything about everyone, id have a strong disliking for the media…

85. steelerfanjo says: Aug 13, 2013 1:14 PM

James is still following the Steeler way!! Bengals are a joke and the show is a joke. Media doesn’t provide paychecks – sponsors and fans do – media just likes to take credit!

86. ottomanismydog says: Aug 13, 2013 1:20 PM

Keep commenting trolls, James doesn’t care.

87. SparkyGump says: Aug 13, 2013 1:20 PM

He’s not going to like being constantly fined and suspended if he doesn’t improve his tackling technique. You can no longer use your head as a weapon and that’s Harrison’s game.

88. alchemistcirca1979 says: Aug 13, 2013 1:36 PM

When did America start viewing the guy who worked hard to get where he is at and no trouble with the law as the bad guy.

I like James because he doesn’t feel the need to kiss any ones butt. No really concerned about his image, just playing football.

89. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 13, 2013 1:40 PM

mackcarrington says:
    Aug 13, 2013 1:06 PM

0 0 Google Suggs and his use of bleach then tell what was worse…. James is no saint but trolls like you tend to over look the transgressions of their own heroes…..get real skippy.

90. neemdaddy13 says: Aug 13, 2013 1:41 PM

steelbydesign says:
    Aug 13, 2013 9:59 AM
    “Well the Steelers are about business, and the Bengals are about making money.”

Typical Steelers fan.. Business’ are about making money, no?? Do they even have schools in Pittsburgh?? Right on par with logicalvoicesays.

91. @Cereal_22 says: Aug 13, 2013 1:42 PM

Add biggest jerk towards the media to his resume next to dirtiest player in the league.

92. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 13, 2013 1:44 PM

ravenmuscle | Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
    Harrison can’t spell his own name.

End of story.

An even shorter story would be your telling him that in person.i know yor muscles are not in your head…

93. jh4prez says: Aug 13, 2013 1:44 PM

Leave james alone.cant wait to see if hes got anything left.except for two times a year.

94. mackcarrington says: Aug 13, 2013 1:54 PM

@ nofoolnodrool: Uuhhh…. Don’t give a damn about Suggs and am not a Ravens fan. Assumptions begin with … Ass.
    And I didn’t have to bend the Harrison story.
    He really did slap his old lady. I only point that out for all of the people who say what a nice guy he is.

95. stillers213 says: Aug 13, 2013 1:56 PM

Dude is an NFL linebacker who tackles people for a living! How exactly would you like him to be? Go talk to the place kicker if you’re looking for “kind” responses. I like the fact that James does not live in the PC world and he is exactly how I like my LB’s to be.

96. granadafan says: Aug 13, 2013 2:01 PM

Newsflash to Harrison and poster vdogg, the “media” are the ones giving exposure to teams and the NFL. Without this publicity those billions wouldn’t be given to the NFL, which by the way is considered “non-profit” and is tax exempt. James enjoys his multimillion dollar contracts, doesn’t he?

97. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 13, 2013 2:15 PM

I love watching Hard Knocks, and it would be really cool to se the behind the scenes goins on of the Texans. But I sincerely hope they never allow it.

Only 3/8 of of the Hard Knocks teams have made the playoffs and none have made a Super Bowl.

Maybe the Bengals can buck that trend but I doubt it. Not so much about Hard Knocks on that but I just don;t think they are tough enough to get there…. same reason I doubt my Texans can get there….

98. ravanator says: Aug 13, 2013 2:20 PM

99. koenig61 says: Aug 13, 2013 2:30 PM

Chris Berman of ESPN loves to say no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. I think that statement should be used for the Media. If anyone dares speak out against them, they circle the wagons and then go after that player. Take this article. James Harrison is hurting the poor media who is just there trying to do their job, and James isn’t helping them do their job, even though the Media is helping James Make millions of dollars. Even the part about James getting in the car. I watched Hard knocks twice and both times it looked to me as if he was asking the driver to give him a ride, not just jumping in the car. Everyone says without the Media theres no football, no huge paychecks. Well guess what, without football, the media would be out of a job or be covering ice skating or lawn bowling. In the end, I get it. the media has a job to do. However that doesn’t mean the player has to kiss their butt so they can get it done. That locker room is the players inner sanctom. Especially during training camp. Seems like the players who tend to kiss the medias butts, are the divas (WR’s RB’s QB’s DB’s) who want their name in the paper anyway, players who want the attention. Some players prefer to just go to work do their job and not be asked stupid questions. Just think about your own work place. I was in the military for 30 years, and we had a ton of kiss A$$ people looking to get awards and be recognized, and we had a small core of people who just showed up and worked. James is just one of those players who wants to just show up and work.

100. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 13, 2013 2:30 PM

I’m not a fan of James Harrison, people.

101. bloodisred says: Aug 13, 2013 2:36 PM

I’ve said twice before that “football is what he does, not who he is” and followed it with a link to some info about him off the field. Apparently I’m not allowed to do that as my post has been removed twice.

102. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 13, 2013 2:44 PM

And I didn’t have to bend the Harrison story.

So from an article you are ASSumming you now can judge him as a person….pathetic. You don’t like him or the steelers which is your axe to grind…duh! I didn’t say he was a nice guy, but I don’t know him as well as you seem to.

103. 1phillyphan says: Aug 13, 2013 2:59 PM

first off..James Harrison is a feared player not because of his skill set, but because of his late hits and his carefree attitude of hurting another player. He is nowhere near the “baddest man” in football. he isn’t the most feared guy on his own team ( Geno Atkins by far)..I think he is just trying to appear tougher then he really is..As far as the media goes. J. Harrison is a veteran. he should know by now that the NFL and ownership is about one thing. FANS. They pay the bills and keep him employed in the NFL. Hard Knocks isn’t about making money. I’m pretty sure HBO is doing fine in that dept. The Bengals would be better served to just cut Harrison. It already seems like he is uncontrollable. By week 3 he will have already had a run-in with the NFL/ ownership/ of even a team mate..All he is doing is showing what he has always shown. That is that he is all about Himself. He has done magazines interviews when they portrayed him as being mean/ tough..But if he can’t show that he is a tough guy..he won’t do it..CUT HIM BENGALS..why you think the Steelers didn’t want him back??

104. 1phillyphan says: Aug 13, 2013 3:11 PM

To the poster that said “Bengal fans are used to players jumping in the back of pick-ups”..

That was totally out of line ! A man died and you make light of it? James Harrison is just a jerk, period. If he doesn’t want to give an interview with Hard knocks.so be it. But it looks like he goes out of his way to be a jerk to them and by doing that he makes himself look even worst. Harrison isn’t even a player that Hard Knocks would want to feature anyways. He isn’t Atkins, Dalton, Green ect. Plus, after watching the Miami Hard Knocks. Its night and day how the Bengals coaches treat their players. I was never a Bengals fan..but after seeing their coaching staff. I am now. Coach Philbin and coach Sherman in Miami are jerks to their players..Coach Jackson and coach lewis gain the respect of their players by treating them like people…

105. geezohman says: Aug 13, 2013 3:23 PM

1. He’s a 200% passion old school defense player

2. You don’t see the Steelers pulling this HBO stuff

3. He’s old school Steelers

4. Bengals record versus Steelers

5. He took a pay cut to join Bengals.

6. I agree with him, get their butt behind the spectator fence like everyone else… oh the Bengals say they paid how much money to crawl in their pants?

106. howiehandles says: Aug 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Harrison loves the attention, don’t be fooled by his antics. For a guy who said that he doesn’t like the media, he certainly is the center of attention.

107. coachbeck says: Aug 13, 2013 3:57 PM

JH is the man. Unless you have been in a serious locker room you would never understand what he is talking about

108. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Aug 13, 2013 4:03 PM

To my knowledge, JH doesn’t have a problem with fans, just cameramen following him around. It’s doubtful that anybody would care much for that no matter how much money is being paid. On that note, I doubt he’s getting paid a dime extra for the Hard Knocks treatment and I’m sure he didn’t have a vote in the decision in the first place. I hope he has a Pro Bowl year but benched for 2 (maybe 3) games this season.

109. forsbergler says: Aug 13, 2013 4:04 PM

Wow a perfessional athelete that his privacy respected. He is absolutly correct. These camera’s never did anything to deserve the right to be inside the locker room. I love guys like this. They’re so good that they can stand up for what they believe in and not get booted for it. if this was a second stringer this guy would have been released. This is what he’s talking about. He doesn’t want to be on camera, like great players such as marvin harrison, and ricky williams. The bengals agreed to be filmed not harrion the bengals. So if a player wants his privacy nosey hollywood should respect his rights. sounds like a Microcosm of whats wrong with todays society. people called out for wanting thier privacy respected

110. rcali says: Aug 13, 2013 4:05 PM

I honestly think it’s about time we start getting worried for this guy. Something is not working right upstairs.

111. mackcarrington says: Aug 13, 2013 4:18 PM

@nofoolnodrool: My previous response to you was deleted, probably because it was too vicious. I will tone this one down. You only prove how stupid you are by assuming I have some “axe to grind” regarding the Steelers. I never mentioned them. You have also proven that you have an irrational love for a man who hits women. That is a documented fact, and not one that I fabricated. You have also shown that you have a difficult time digesting facts that do not fit your view of the world. You are the pathetic one who needs to get real!

112. bigalhebdman says: Aug 13, 2013 4:18 PM

I was laughing to myself trying to imagine if Belicek or Mike Shanahan’s teams were on Hard Knocks. Will never happen. They both have the personality of a dead fish.

113. bigalhebdman says: Aug 13, 2013 4:21 PM

Now Harrison knows how Kim K felt.

114. tjzoo says: Aug 13, 2013 4:35 PM

James no like camera… James SMASH!!!

115. EJ says: Aug 13, 2013 4:36 PM

If it wasn’t for the media and its prying ways, James Harrison wouldn’t have earned the amount of money he has throughout his career. Every time the media said his name, put out a clip of a tackle or interception, it built his reputation, bigger and bigger. Which in turn gave teams and companies looking for advertising opportunities something to look at. Without the media, his football games wouldn’t be on TV, which would drop many fans that can’t afford to go to the games away. Then things he makes money on, like jersey sales wouldn’t be as high. You should than the media for helping to bring all of the great things about the NFL to light, making the sport #1. The media made you millions of dollars Mr. Harrison.

116. stillers213 says: Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM

“Nice to see the dumb Bengals and Steelers fans sticking up for an HGH using women beater. Hope the Steelers and Bengals fans enjoy watching those teams fight for the basement of the AFC North. Even Cleveland has a brighter future then those two.”

I’m not sure if you’re a troll or a tool. Nobody is sticking up for him. We just don’t care that he hates the media like the rest of the free-thinking world. Oh, and you have that division order all wrong. Cincy and Pit will be fighting it out for the top, while the new Browns will have company with the “old” Browns in the basement. I don’t mean your momma’s basement so don’t get so excited..

117. bensstinkyfingers says: Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM

In about 3 years when James is out of football, and broke as a joke, he may realize why it was important for the game to have media around to generate revenue from fans, thus helping pay his undeserving paychecks. I have a feeling he will never have a clue about the “real world” outside of football. His only hope to not be sleeping in the dumpster behind 7-11 in 5 years or less is if he can latch on with a pro wrasslin show, or convince a local fire department to let him use his huge melon as a battering ram to bust through doors of houses that are on fire. Can’t wait to see him implode in Cinnci this year.

118. vstar1us says: Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM

Ok Harrison I will turn off my tv and ask my friends to turn off their tv’s and we will turn off players pay check then you can hire out your services reading library books to 3rd graders.

119. Matthew Kitchen says: Aug 13, 2013 5:48 PM

‘Hard Knocks’ is shot and produced by NFL Films, not HBO. The latter is just a distributor. And NFL Films is owned by the NFL, so good luck getting them out of camp.

120. bonniebengal says: Aug 13, 2013 6:31 PM

“PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Aug 13, 2013 10:02 AM

The guys working on Hard Knocks are also busting their asses, working 18 hour days for a month straight, hauling heavy equipment or holing up in stuffy editing bays, missing their families, all to do their own jobs. James Harrison doesn’t recognize hard work outside of his own little world.”

Not to mention the fans who work hard all week and choose to spend some of their hard earned dollars on football tickets. They are paying Harrison’s salary. They deserve to see the inner workings of training camp too, through Hard Knocks. Shut your entitled mouth, Harrison. I really am not convinced this whole Harrison experiment is going to work.

121. northstarnic says: Aug 13, 2013 6:32 PM

He makes a strong case in his candidacy for king of the clueless dimwits. This guy is going to have a hard time staying out of jail once the NFL is done with him. He’s going to need a new outlet for his antisocial, violent tendencies. Pray you don’t cross his path.

122. lance19 says: Aug 13, 2013 11:34 PM

Read your contract James…
    those gigantic checks come with lots of little,
    mildly inconvenient responsibilities in addition
    to showing up on 16 Sundays.

Cameras create those massive checks.

123. swagger52 says: Aug 14, 2013 1:45 PM

James Harrison plays a game in stadiums that we all pay for with ridiculous ticket prices. He doesn’t deserve to be in our wallet.

124. geodude11 says: Aug 14, 2013 2:00 PM

Harrison passes the stupid test with flying colors, careful with the concussion testing.

125. bighurt228 says: Aug 14, 2013 11:03 PM

Another one of the most dirtiest players in the league…..this salami is lucky he’s still playing…..guess the fans don’t pay his bloated salary?? If he doesn’t like it why doesn’t he just leave training camp or else shut up and do your job, which your way overpaid to do !!

126. mattw70 says: Aug 18, 2013 12:32 AM

He better not get a TV job after he retires,or one of those fake reality shows.

127. robgilman says: Aug 19, 2013 12:24 AM

Anyone see the irony here? The media loves to hate his attitude and statements. Here we are reading a story about it and it has made the top ten in most comments. James is giving the media what it wants…a story

128. tientzu1 says: Aug 19, 2013 1:56 PM

I have a family friend who was at the last Bengals’ game. Sat right in front of James’ mother. The friend stated that James was nothing but nice and friendly to her kids in the family area after the game. Signing autographs and taking pictures with all the kids before (as she stated) he knew that his mom was cool with them and knew members of my family back in Akron. The dude doesn’t like the media. But that should have no bearing on how he is perceived when it comes to the actual fan. He puts in his work and goes about his business. I’m not crying for some reporter who got their feelings hurt.

129. Deb says: Aug 20, 2013 2:12 PM

I love James Harrison. And he is anything but stupid. Hope he has a SPECTACULAR year in Cincy. Except when they play Pittsburgh.