Randall Cobb balancing being smart and tough

Packers Camp Football AP

Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb is trying to work, but he’s approaching the point where it’s reasonable to wonder if he’s able to do so effectively.

Cobb was visibly in pain during practice Tuesday, the first signs of the right biceps injury which has cost him some practice time and kept him out of the preseason opener.

I have some pain,” Cobb said, via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “I’m dealing with that. The hardest part for me is that I’m a tough guy. I don’t like missing practice. I’m trying to be smart and tough and that’s a little bit difficult for me. I understand I have some limitations and have to be smart about it, but it’s difficult.”

Cobb said one part of it will be talking with the coaches and training staff about his condition, so they can determine whether he’s best served by rest or pushing through.

“There’s a line between being tough and being smart, and I think us collectively together, between the coaching staff, myself and the training staff, we have to figure out what that line is,” he said. “We’re playing with it right now. I’ve got to take it upon myself personally to be smarter with my communication with the coaching staff.”

Cobb emerged as a trusted receiver last year, and it’s admirable that he wants to keep working after going through some drops. But he also has take the long view of this, and the fact the Packers are counting on him more heavily matters now.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Randall Cobb balancing being smart and tough”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 13, 2013 5:24 PM

Two things no one wearing purple and gold have ever been.

2. mrhornitos says: Aug 13, 2013 5:27 PM

HOGAN KNOWS BEST

3. unbiasfan says: Aug 13, 2013 5:27 PM

First it was Bryan Buluga saying he was going to play this season with a torn ACL and now Randall Cobb playing in practice while injured?

LOLOLOLOL, the packers are a joke

#ExpectA7-9Season

4. jakec4 says: Aug 13, 2013 5:30 PM

With arguably the best QB in the NFL right now who can make it work with any receiver they give him, why dog Cobb in August? I like Cobb’s attitude but the coaches should be smarter.

5. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 13, 2013 5:41 PM

That noodle armed Ponder chick worries about balancing playing with an arm bruise vs. a playoff appearance.

6. thepvyharvin says: Aug 13, 2013 5:43 PM

tokyoteabagger says:
    Aug 13, 2013 5:24 PM
    Two things no one wearing purple and gold have ever been.
    ====================================
    There has been only ONE smart and tough Packer in history ….Brett Favre. Seems to me he did wear purple and gold and beat you twice …Snap

7. bagadeez04 says: Aug 13, 2013 5:50 PM

This has got to be the worst training staff in football. I have never heard of so many injuries year after year like this. Maybe one bad year is understandable but enough with the freaking injuries already!

8. macdaddyspeed says: Aug 13, 2013 5:52 PM

First rule of Tough Guy Club: legitimate tough guys have no need to say “I’m a tough guy”.

9. textexington says: Aug 13, 2013 5:57 PM

The Minnesota Viqueefs have never won the Superbowl.LOLZ.Go Pack Go!!!

10. emperorzero says: Aug 13, 2013 6:01 PM

tokyoteabagger says:
    Aug 13, 2013 5:24 PM
    Two things no one wearing purple and gold have ever been.
    ====================================
    ==================================

And had his butt handed to him the last two times. Double snap.

11. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 13, 2013 6:02 PM

Too bad he’s neither tough or smart.

12. thepvyharvin says: Aug 13, 2013 6:11 PM

Cobb is to tough guy like tokyotool is to Mensa…worlds apart

13. jkindler429 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:31 PM

Cobb will show you all this season with what’s his name gone

14. vikescry1 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:32 PM

Why would u even ponder passing right there? U can take a knee and kick a 50 yard field goal! This is not detroit this is the superbowl! Yep farve was tough alright… smart though??? Sending pics of lil favre and the list goes on….

15. GenXJay says: Aug 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Well, this isn’t good.
    The headline is too easy to criticize. Tokyo is the the 1st to dumb that one down.
    However, after READING the article, it is apparent that McCarthy has lost control of the team. His blatant dismissal of questioning cheeseheads “toughness” is now come into play. Good luck w/the recoveries.
    p.s. it’s only the 2nd week of preseason & your team is in jeopardy.

16. beerbratscheese says: Aug 13, 2013 7:42 PM

I guess I can’t blame all the Vikings fans making comments on Packers threads. All we’ve heard out of Minnesota’s camp is Greg Jenning’s bitter comments and how AP thinks everyone in the NFL takes HGH but him.

17. aa1829 says: Aug 13, 2013 9:17 PM

The tough guy award in GB goes hands down to Jimmy Taylor.

18. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 13, 2013 9:55 PM

I thought we were told repeatedly that this injury was nothing. Of course, we were also told that Eddie Lacy isn’t fat.

19. landof10000lakes says: Aug 13, 2013 10:05 PM

@GenXJay

You seem kind of nervous about something… And I’m a Vikes fan.

20. greej1938l says: Aug 13, 2013 10:51 PM

^^^^^fact^^^^^

21. icornholedmcnastysmom says: Aug 13, 2013 10:57 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 13, 2013 5:41 PM
    That noodle armed Ponder chick.
    ———————————————-

Its funny you commenting on a professional athletes physical strength. In fact I will give you a thousand dollars cash, all you have to do is ten REAL push-ups, in a row, and no knees Missy.

22. mitchlt3ski says: Aug 13, 2013 11:26 PM

^^? youre right. he does think everyone in the league took steroids..except the packers D

23. greenbaychells says: Aug 14, 2013 12:33 AM

I think everyone should calm down and take a shot every time the word “smart” is used in this article. #DrunkByTheSecondParagraph

24. truthserum4u says: Aug 14, 2013 2:28 AM

@ beerbratscheese

Read the comments again. Your buds tokyo & filthy make comments about the Vikings first, on a story that has nothing to do with Minnesota. We all know they’re closet Viking fans though. That’s the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from their obsession of the Vikes.

25. monkeyboymotors says: Aug 14, 2013 6:47 AM

Even cobb says it’s difficult for him to be tough and smart. It seems to be like catching a football this year for him.

26. jimnsota says: Aug 14, 2013 10:33 AM

Wow, I thought Cobb wasn’t as much of a diva as the other media hungry girls on the Pack. Guess I was wrong again, just another episode of The Real Housewives of the NFL.

27. Frazier28/7 says: Aug 14, 2013 4:37 PM

Smart and tough, two things nobody associates with the packers defense outside of clay matthews.

28. chi01town says: Aug 15, 2013 3:13 PM

Cobb has been hurt the whole time
    he’s been in green bay. he is only a role player IT’s NOT LIKE HE IS THE #1 WR.. OOPS!! green bay dont have a #1 WR on that team anymore. Whats worse is Rodgers knows it. Hey Dom!! you should run now man cause the packers will blame this season on you.