RG3 says there’s no rift with Shanahan

Washington Redskins v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III made a surprise visit with the media Tuesday, to help try to put out the fire he keeps feeding.

Griffin, who normally only talks to reporters on Mondays, stopped by the podium before Mike Shanahan’s press conference to say “there is no conflict” about the way his comeback is being handled, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Of course, the whole thing started when Griffin said again Monday that he wanted to do more than he was being allowed to. But he said Tuesday that his words were “twisted and turned” into a controversy, and that he was ready to abide by his coach’s wishes.

That being said, I’m excited about tomorrow,” he said of his scheduled return to 11-on-11 drills.

Of course, Griffin has kept this thing going by continuing to push, and talk about the pushing. Everyone now gets that he wants to do more in practice, to play in games, etc. And it should be equally clear that Shanahan’s not going to let him, for fear of another flap like last year’s in the playoffs.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
50 Responses to “RG3 says there’s no rift with Shanahan”
  1. birdcen says: Aug 13, 2013 5:53 PM

Another non story yet again….I guess they have to write about something. Come on regular season!

2. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 13, 2013 5:54 PM

No rift?
    That’s awesome!!!
    Finally I can get a good night’s sleep…

3. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 13, 2013 5:55 PM

It’s official: there’s a rift.

4. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 13, 2013 5:59 PM

Can’t wait till he’s Shanacanned.

5. babyriggo44 says: Aug 13, 2013 5:59 PM

we need to trade RGIII and play Captain Kirk

6. jayzus says: Aug 13, 2013 5:59 PM

If he was my QB I would want him to want to do more, I would also not let him.

7. helloanybodyhome says: Aug 13, 2013 6:00 PM

He may not want to talk to McKnabb, but he’s sure getting Donovan’s passive/aggressive act down pat.

8. bennyb82 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:03 PM

This is situation where a different conclusion could be drawn based on which player made the remarks. RG3 has a perma-smile. It would be hard to see him having a riff with anyone. It is just as important to listen to how someone says something compared to what they actually say. For example, Jay Cutler could say the nicest thing to a fan and probably make them feel insulted.

9. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 13, 2013 6:06 PM

Hey Gruesome, that pain you had in your knee has moved to our butts.

10. mackcarrington says: Aug 13, 2013 6:06 PM

I saw the initial press conference and the only one who was doing the twisting and turning was Griffin himself. All he had to say was “I’m down with whatever coach wants to do.” But nooooo! He puts himself through all kinds of contortions to show the public how bad he wants to get back on the field. The more he talks, the less I put the heat on Shanahan for leaving him in that game in the first place. Sometimes these guys don’t know what’s in their own best interest.

11. jakec4 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:07 PM

Exactly. The fact he has to say there is no rift means there is a rift.

12. wryly1 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:08 PM

Redskins current and future starting QB is Kirk Cousins.

13. evrybdyhas1 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:09 PM

Not a skins fan but RGIII seems to be all class and how can you not root for class. Go RGIII and screw the media crap including Dunuthin (sour grapes) McNabb.

14. realfootballfan says: Aug 13, 2013 6:13 PM

I’ve never seen people acting so silly because a player, your franchise player at that, chomping at the bit to get back on the field.

15. tikisays says: Aug 13, 2013 6:14 PM

Give us some Brett Favre stories-this guy Bob is boring@im flabbergasted that you are paying more attention to him than Brett or Aaron!!

16. kabasaman says: Aug 13, 2013 6:15 PM

Aren’t we all just about had enough of RG III talk. I mean c’mon , Jeeze. What next Shanahan picks a zit on rg’s ass.

17. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 13, 2013 6:15 PM

The media is clearly on its way to the world record for number of stories created out of four sentences.
    1. “Of course I would like it if Shanahan let me play in the preseason, I can’t wait to get back out on the field.”- Griffin

2. “No, he’s not going to play.”- Shanahan

3. “Of course he’s not going to put me on the field, and I totally understand the decision”- Griffin

3.5. “Griffin/Shanahan blood feud drawing to a head?”- The Media

4. “C’mon guys, seriously?”- Griffin

Total stories: 750 and counting

Every player needs this level of drive and passion for football to succeed in the NFL. Coaches need to know when to rein them in. End of story.

18. thepvyharvin says: Aug 13, 2013 6:16 PM

RG wants to prove he can come back quick and unhuman like AD did…sorry son,there is only ONE Superman and he plays for the Vikings!!

19. ravanator says: Aug 13, 2013 6:17 PM

Of course there is a rift between Shanahan and Griffin. Shanahan realizes he is stuck with a QB that would be 3rd string on any other team in the NFL cause Snyder wanted to be in the headlines by drafting Griffin. I feel sorry for the R-Words fans for having to deal with this garbage dump organization.

20. fiverings37 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:18 PM

yeah, as far as we know. What else is he GOING to say??

21. nnagi says: Aug 13, 2013 6:19 PM

Bob, it’s very important that you realize that you haven’t achieved anything near greatness yet, you’re a second year player returning from a serious injury – you may not ever even reach your full potential – keep your head down, work hard and let things fall into place…

22. mutohasaposse says: Aug 13, 2013 6:20 PM

Local sportscaster and former Skin Brian Mitchell was just on TV. He said since Shanahan and Bellichek are so close that Mike should call up to Bill and ask how he’s able to keep his players in line; since you rarely see Brady speaking up.

I hope he does do this because RG3 is becoming a bit too vocal. Love the guy and he is the savior for our franchise but I think his over-exuberance allows the media to stir the pot.

23. surfinbird1 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:25 PM

Drama queen.

24. scrp2 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:30 PM

Before the press conference was completed RGIII offered some words of encouragement toward the playoff-challenged Tony Romo.

25. jessejames182 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:32 PM

No Christian bashing Darin? I guess you just save them for the Tebow stories.

26. babyriggo44 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:33 PM

Is McNabb jealous of RGIII ? Why is he targeting him? Ponderous man _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ponderous

27. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 13, 2013 6:40 PM

jakec4 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:07 PM

Exactly. The fact he has to say there is no rift means there is a rift
    ___________
    Or maybe it means he made a joke to a reporter last night, and when he woke up this morning, all hell had broken loose, and we’re all still trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
    Seriously, watch the interview before you form an opinion on anything. And since you’re probably not going to watch it, this is exactly how it goes:
    Reporter: “Shanahan has expressly said that you are not going to play in the preseason. How do you feel about this?”
    Griffin: “I understand Coach Shanahan has a plan, and I understand why I’m being held out, and I can’t wait to get back to football.”
    Reporter: “So you don’t want to play in the preseason?”
    Griffin: “Coach Shanahan has a plan for my recovery and for the regular season, and I don’t want to get into the specifics, but it’s a good plan, I like it and I have no issues with it.”
    Reporter: “So you really, really, really have no desire at all to play in the preseason?”
    Griffin: (chuckles)”C’mon man, do we really need to keep pressing this? Obviously, I would love to play in the preseason, but it’s really not an option– I wish it was, but I totally understand.”
    Media: “Griffin challenges Shanahan to bare-knuckle brawl in parking lot.”

28. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 13, 2013 6:42 PM

_____________
    Don’t these two paragraphs contradict each other?
    Griffin knows Shanahan is not going to let him play. The media, in an attempt to create a story out of nothing forced Griffin to answer whether or not he still wanted to play in the preseason. Watch the interview, the attempt to fan the flames is so blatant it makes Griffin laugh.

Tongue-in-cheek, he responds that “Of course he still wants to play”. Over the next 24 hours rumors begin to emerge on ESPN and NBC sports that Griffin has taken out a hit on Shanahan.

It’s entirely the media’s fault that Griffin has to now issue a statement saying “Seriously people, are you kidding me? Chill out.”

29. doe22us says: Aug 13, 2013 6:44 PM

So you are saying there is a schism??? What this is not a Favre story darn it.

30. seabreezes51 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:48 PM

RGII should sit down and get some advice from Donovan McNabb…you know…Dutch uncle stuff…. With lots of cameras and microphones around to document the historic occasion….. Trust me.. It’s all for the best.

31. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 13, 2013 6:49 PM

mutohasaposse says: Aug 13, 2013 6:20 PM

________________
    You can’t blame Griffin for being “too vocal”– you can blame the media for being too rapacious in their need for stories, but Griffin has only said two things. Last week he said he would like to play in the preseason. Shanahan said he would not be playing in the preseason. Yesterday a reporter grilled him to the point where Griffin burst out laughing, about whether he still wanted to play. To which the Third truthfully replied “I know it’s not an option, and I’m fine with that, but of course I still want to play.”

If the media could turn Brady’s every word into three separate articles he would be “too vocal” too. The ony reason Griffin is “too vocal” is because the media is desperate for stories, and they realized they can turn these two sentences into a gold mine.

32. deenice810 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:49 PM

Another RG3 non story. I like him but he needs to shut up. Haven’t heard a peep out of Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick who are all better quarterbacks.

33. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 13, 2013 7:21 PM

hes the T.O of QB’s drama queen IRG3-yearsandoutoftheleague

34. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 13, 2013 7:30 PM

im glad this clown isnt my QB, dude just play and if u gotta say theres not a conflict, there is!!! and whats up with the pics on GQ mag? dude yr no rock star

35. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 13, 2013 7:34 PM

Media hysteria nothing more.

And any player that doesn’t want to be on the field every opportunity they have isn’t well motivated and won’t have long term success. Does anyone really think Brady didn’t want to get back playing as soon as possible when his knee was hurt? Of course he did.

36. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 13, 2013 7:47 PM

Seems Shanahan can’t win on this one. Last year he wasn’t careful enough and this year too careful…

37. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 13, 2013 7:56 PM

deenice810 says: Aug 13, 2013 6:49 PM

_____________
    You do understand that’s because Griffin is the most polarizing of the four, right? Just count the number of negative posts on this article (hell, just count the number of posts, period.).

He’s a “running” quarterback, a black quarterback, a Heisman winner, ROTY, coming off an injury, and the new franchise quarterback of the historically worst team in the NFL’s most heated and rivalrous division– not to mention the size of the NFC East fan bases, all four of which are in the top ten richest teams in the NFL.

You haven’t heard a “peep” out of the other three, not because they haven’t made “peeps”, but because their “peeps” don’t attract as much internet traffic. Griffin, Luck, Russell, and Kaepernick have all spoken to the media the same number of times in the past two weeks, but we only hear about Griffin because the public wants to hear about Griffin.

As for him needing to “shut up”, all twelve stories on this site and all 12,000 elsewhere on the internet have been thrown together from two comments he has made. The media is a business, and you can’t blame the authors here for taking their families on vacation by capitalizing on Griffin’s existence.
    (I mean, you kind of can, but hey, who doesn’t love a vacation)

38. michaelwone says: Aug 13, 2013 8:07 PM

Nice Casey, Bobba Booey

39. goskins44 says: Aug 13, 2013 8:08 PM

A key word this article added that changes the tone of everything. From the article above – “But he said Tuesday that his words were “twisted and turned” into a controversy, and that he was ready to abide by his coach’s wishes.”

He did not say he was “ready” to abide as if he were not abiding by it before. Here is the actual transcript of that statement:

“Coach has a plan and I’m abiding by that plan. I’m doing everything that they ask me to do. I trust those guys. They want me to have a long career and that’s what this part of this plan is about.”

I am tired of these media writers making stuff up to make their articles sound more important. Yes Darin Gantt you made it up that he said he was “ready” to abide by the plan in your recounting of it! Try the truth man it will set you free!! And you wonder why people don’t trust the media.

40. officialgame says: Aug 13, 2013 8:31 PM

RG3 is morphing into McNabb right before our very eyes.

41. skins1313 says: Aug 13, 2013 8:38 PM

Russel Wilson and Kaperneck better than RG3.? Really! I guess everyone forgets Russel Wilson’s numbers were very average until week 7 when they decided to run the read option. And it took the Seahawks up until 8 minutes left in the playoff game to take the lead against the what 28th rank defense in the league. In the end Seattle, Washington, and SF have won nothing last year. So if everyone has figured out the read option(lol) then why is Washington doomed but SF and Seattle SB contenders. What a joke. Lets play the games!

42. goskins44 says: Aug 13, 2013 8:52 PM

@ skins 1313 – Very well said. It’s interesting how all these people say Wilson and Kapernick are such better QBs, but both started their respective seasons as back-ups. Also, RGIII had historical numbers for a rookie and actually won ROY. They way people talk he was thed runner up not Wilson. Finally, both Wilson and Kapernick had excellent Defenses keeping them in games. Seattle was the #1 scoring D. That’s the same one we shredded until RGIII went down.

43. kspells12345 says: Aug 13, 2013 9:15 PM

Any else think those prima Donna rumors we heard about RGIII during the draft are starting to sound true? This kids even whinier than McNabb.

44. gibson34 says: Aug 13, 2013 9:16 PM

enough is enough with IRIII……what other franchise has as much offseason drama and this horrid franchise. Its comical to be honest with you and they are going nowhere.

boys
    giants
    eagles
    red faces…..lol

45. johnnytata says: Aug 13, 2013 9:43 PM

much ado about nothing.

jeesh people are hypersensitive.

i’m pretty sure this type of issue has never happened before between star qb and head coach…

so why is this such a big deal?

overabundance of people with a media/social media voice who have nothing better to do than sell controversy.

i say, move along, these aren’t the droids your looking for.

46. painsyndicate says: Aug 13, 2013 9:47 PM

Media, bang that RGIII cowbell.

“Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!”

47. albanyjints says: Aug 13, 2013 10:40 PM

Anybody else sick of this clown? Great talent, but he’s become an egomaniac. He calls press conferences daily. I wish he would just shut up.

48. theheyseed says: Aug 14, 2013 12:30 AM

Third is the word I agree with all of what you said Except.
    “the new franchise quarterback of the historically worst team in the NFL’s most heated and rivalrous division”
    How does having five visits and three Superbowl wins rank them as the worst?

49. steelerben says: Aug 14, 2013 12:49 PM

So, the consensus here is that a player coming back from injury should not express a desire to get into action? If he sat back and said, “Coach says no go, so I’m gonna take it easy and be ready for game one, or whenever he lets me play,” everyone would be happier and wouldn’t think he needed to be traded away?

50. bighurt228 says: Aug 14, 2013 11:00 PM

I for one am getting sick and tired of hearing about rg whatever and shanahan!! Who cares if there’s a rift?. Isn’t their anything else to report but this crap?.