Dunbar denies using PEDs, won’t reveal source of positive test

St Louis Rams v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who has been suspended four games for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing drugs, denies taking PEDs.

“First and foremost, I just want to say that I did not take a performance-enhancing drug,” Dunbar told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I mistakenly took something that prompted a failed drug test. I want to say that I sincerely apologize to my teammates, the organization, Coach [Jeff] Fisher, [General Manager] Les Snead, my family, and friends. I’m deeply saddened by this but I plan to serve my four-game suspension and get back to playing football as soon as possible.”

Asked what banned substance he tested positive for, Dunbar refused to answer.

“I just don’t want to get into that right now,” Dunbar said. “That’s something we don’t want to talk about — we just want to move past.”

When the NFL suspends players for banned substances, it doesn’t reveal the specific banned substances that turned up in the players’ drug tests. So with Dunbar refusing to say what he mistakenly took, there’s no way to know what the specific violation of the PED policy was. All we know is that Dunbar won’t play in the first four games of the season.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
9 Responses to “Dunbar denies using PEDs, won’t reveal source of positive test”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 14, 2013 7:59 PM

Great follow up work to the original news MDS!

And fine, whatever, just don’t do it again Dunbar. A lot of people would give anything to have a shot to play in the NFL, including giving up their drug habit. Try and get high on competitive football.

2. dgoens3109 says: Aug 14, 2013 8:08 PM

Professional athletes know EXACTLY what they are putting in their body. For the idiots that don’t, if you “mistakenly” took a substance and failed a test you should have no issue telling what that substance was. Just once I’d like to see an athlete admit it, do his time and get back to business, like a man.

3. blackngold4life says: Aug 14, 2013 9:47 PM

Yeah..Yeah..that’s what they all say

4. fdugrad says: Aug 14, 2013 10:02 PM

OK, so he didn’t take PEDs, he mistakenly took something. To prove this beyond a doubt, he will clam up and move on. Another “student athlete,” strikes again, directly to the heart of reason and logic.

5. wtfchiefs says: Aug 14, 2013 10:30 PM

How can guys that play such a hardass sport be such big cowards when they get caught doing something they’re not supposed to be doing?

6. tigershark49 says: Aug 14, 2013 10:30 PM

Probably HGH. If it were something more innocent, we woulda gotten a different answer. Beat it, cheater!

7. folkcrusader says: Aug 14, 2013 11:51 PM

Sounds like he tested positive for a masking agent.

8. alldonesmith says: Aug 15, 2013 3:03 AM

Seems like every single time a suspension comes down the guy “didn’t know” or “made a mistake.” So tired of excuses. It would be really refreshing to hear a guy admit it and apologize for real. What happened to personal accountability?

9. steelerben says: Aug 15, 2013 7:56 AM

The team was doing a ritualistic drinking of seahawk blood in order to get themselves hyped about winning some games in that division. He was unaware that he was actually drinking the blood of a Seattle Seahawk player and not a bird.