Jones-Drew wants wins, not yards

Jones-Drew AP

The last time Maurice Jones-Drew was healthy, the Jaguars running back won the NFL rushing title.  Now that he’s in a contract year, Jones-Drew has every reason to try to climb to the top of the ladder, again.

But Jones-Drew said that’s not his motivation.  In an interview with Scott Pioli that aired on Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, Jones-Drew said that, at this stage of his career, he prefers racking up wins to yards.

“Obviously at 1,511 that year, I mean we did run the ball, we ran the ball well against some great defenses but I want to win,” Jones-Drew said.  “That’s the main goal is to try to get wins.  You know, it’s my eighth year in the league, you want to get back to the playoffs and see what it’s like.”

With Jones-Drew entering his eighth NFL season, some may say he’s getting a little too worn down.  Jones-Drew has a specific reaction to that perception.

“I laugh because the first couple of years I was a backup,” Jones-Drew said. “Obviously, I missed a whole year last year so I feel fresher than what my age is but there’s always going to be naysayers and that’s what the talking heads’ jobs are there to do is to kind of find controversy and question certain things. One of the things I really enjoy about this game is getting back out here with my team and teammates and not being out here with them, not being out here to fight with them all offseason, during the season, those are things that I want to continue to build that bond and relationship with as well as getting my body back and ready to play at a high level.”

He needs to play at a high level, because Jones-Drew has embarked on the final year of his contract. But he says that’s not a concern.

“I really don’t worry about it too much,” Jones-Drew said. “I just focus on now and every day to get better and whatever happens in January, February or whatever that time comes, happens. I’m going to give everything I have every year and then, if that’s good enough it’s good enough and if it’s not, so be it.”

Jones-Drew said it’ll definitely be good enough for anyone who has the well-known fantasy-football owner on their team.

“Listen, if you want to win, put me in, simple as that,” Jones-Drew said. “If you don’t, then that’s your fault.”

It could be a little easier to get Jones-Drew this year than last year. And it may be a smart move to grab him.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Jones-Drew wants wins, not yards”
  1. skinsrock says: Aug 14, 2013 2:15 PM

… Then he should request a trade.

2. 12444uggg says: Aug 14, 2013 2:15 PM

If he wants wins he’ll have to wait until next year when he can sign elsewhere.

3. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 14, 2013 2:17 PM

Then Jones-Drew should ask for a trade…

4. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 14, 2013 2:22 PM

This is refreshing take from Jones Drew.

This stands in stark contrast to players around the league like Adrian Peterson who are selfishly consumed with their own stats to the detriment of their teams. Peterson is obsessed with Eric Dickerson’s record after failing to break it last year.

5. gibbstastic says: Aug 14, 2013 2:24 PM

You want to win, put Boobie in.

6. ejmat2 says: Aug 14, 2013 2:40 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:Aug 14, 2013 2:22 PM

This is refreshing take from Jones Drew.
    —————————————-
    One of the most hypocritical statements from a Packer fan. I see you don’t only troll on Viking threads.

Out of one side of your mouth you criticize Peterson for having personal goals. Yet, on the other side of your mouth you and many other Packer fans tote that the Vikings were a 3-13 without him last year.

Therefore if Peterson wants to have goals of rushing 2000 yards or 2500 yards and it is able to win them 7 more games than they should have according to you and other Packer fans, then I say so be it. If Jones-Drew wants to be political and say the right things, that’s okay too. But let me ask you, where has saying the right things got the Jaguars? No disrespect to the Jaguars or their fans. Just making a point to this Packer fan that does nothing but troll in Viking threads.

7. thehuckster404 says: Aug 14, 2013 2:53 PM

Does that mean he won’t be drafting himself in his fantasy league?

8. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 14, 2013 3:10 PM

________

That’s what you said last year.

9. td30 says: Aug 14, 2013 3:12 PM

poor guy wasted some good years there. this year being one of them

10. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 14, 2013 3:17 PM

First off, Gabbert has had 3 different systems in TWO YEARS, (signed Aug, 2011), along with 4 different head coaches and 4 different position coaches.

Henne wasn’t “great down the stretch” at all. After a good game where he took over when Blaine was hurt (and the other team was not prepared for him) he managed a 66 passer rating for the final five games of the season. With one win, 7 Tds and 11 Int.

11. grandpoopah says: Aug 14, 2013 3:23 PM

He’ll get nothing and like it!

12. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 14, 2013 3:23 PM

You get neither.

13. flawdaelite1headbussah says: Aug 14, 2013 9:49 PM

first off to the slow selfish people that didnt understand wat he was saying….all he was expessing is HE WANTS TO WIN…..wats so wrong with….He said.HE WAS GOING TO GIV100%…..He said I CAN’T WAIT TO GET OUT ON THE FIELD WITH HIS TEAMMATES…He also sad IF U WANT TO ,PUT ME IN…….HES COMPETITIVE PEOPLE.U KNOW THAT AND I KNOW,plus the nfl does to…..but thats besides the POINT.ALL HE IS SAYING,which i myself understand myself is.HE LOVES THIS TEAM …..when youve been apart of something for as long as he has, it becomes like family.Hes put in work we all know that.HE JUST WANT HIS FAMILY TO WIN.u cant blame him for that……so ask for a trae for wat

14. cwk22 says: Aug 14, 2013 10:03 PM

Henne sucks. He cost the Dolphins games. But Gabbert is not much better. The constant excuses made for him are ridiculous

15. billhicks666 says: Aug 14, 2013 11:46 PM

Better settle for yards, MJD, ’cause wins ain’t comin’!

16. guitarace2 says: Aug 15, 2013 9:50 AM

If this dudes game was as big as his mouth the Jags would be in the playoffs