Saints getting a few guys healthy again

Jimmy Graham, Martez Wilson AP

After what seemed a non-stop cycle of bad news for the Saints on the the injury front, they’re beginning to get some guys back.

After losing outside linebacker Victor Butler for the season with a torn ACL, and then seeing replacements Martez Wilson and Junior Galette go down with less severe injuries in training camp, the Saints are beginning to get some of their pass-rush potential back.

Wilson is wearing a brace on his left arm (along with a red non-contact jersey) and close to a return from his elbow injury, and Galette is doing some work on the side after his unspecified absence. Wilson said it’s hard not being back to full speed, but he’s closer than he initially feared.

“How worried was I? Oh, I was in tremendous pain,” Wilson said, via Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I wasn’t worried, but I was just hoping that it wasn’t severe. When I got my results back, no broken bones, no serious tears to my tendons and things like that, I knew it was going to be alright.”

Wilson has missed the last two weeks, but said there’s “no doubt” he’ll be ready for the regular season opener. Galette’s not practicing yet, but there are indications he could return next week.

Getting Wilson back will be a significant step for a team that’s struggling for playmakers in Rob Ryan’s new 3-4 defense. They’ve also lost defensive end Kenyon Coleman for the year, making the transition that much tougher.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Saints getting a few guys healthy again”
  1. breakingb says: Aug 14, 2013 10:31 AM

Matt Ryan is shocked..

2. whodatsaybaby says: Aug 14, 2013 10:33 AM

This article is a breath of fresh air to say the least, although alot of the rookies looked great the first preseason game. Now I know that’s not saying alot, but shows me that Rob and Sean have a gameplan that just might pan out. Is the 3-4 the answer to all the Saints problems? Who knows at the moment, but im feeling confident this 7-9 team will turn it around to a 11-5 team this year.

3. skippynj says: Aug 14, 2013 11:00 AM

Hope they’re both healthy by week 1. I hate the falcons. I hate the falcons. I hate the falcons.

4. purplegreenandgold says: Aug 14, 2013 11:02 AM

Martez and Junior will be better than reporters are speculating. They will flourish in this new scheme that seem to fit them well… Go Saints!

5. wwttww says: Aug 14, 2013 11:24 AM

11-5 gonna b real hard after starting out 0-1. Rise Up.

6. kane337 says: Aug 14, 2013 11:26 AM

The Saints still suck. #RiseUp

7. purplegreenandgold says: Aug 14, 2013 11:55 AM

RiseUp… 5 years and counting….its not a question of “what do falcons do”… maybe its “when do falcons rise up”…just wondering?

8. breakingb says: Aug 14, 2013 12:26 PM

Matt Ryan will rise up once he changes his underwear.

9. louisianafootballfan says: Aug 14, 2013 12:55 PM

So…what’s the difference between the Falcons and a dirty toilet? The toilet has a ring. Please don’t troll on Saints’ stories shouting “rise up” as if you’ve won anything meaningful in the last…ever.