Asa Jackson gives the Ravens something positive

Ravens' Jackson scores a touchdown on a punt return against the Falcons to provide the winning margin for the Ravens in the second half of their NFL pre-season football game in Baltimore Reuters

Ravens cornerback Asa Jackson is about to go away for two months.

But he gave the Ravens something to remember him by, and hopefully something that makes them want to keep him.

Jackson returned a punt 78 yards for a touchdown, for the game-winning score for the Ravens against the Falcons. It was a nice reprieve for a guy who was suspended the first eight games of the regular season for a second violation of the league’s PED policy, making his future there tenuous.

“Absolutely,” Jackson said, via Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun. “It’s all part of football. It’s all part of life. You’re going to go through ups and downs, but it’s how you handle things when things are bad that really define your character, not when they’re good.

Of course, proving that value’s trickier since he’s going to miss half the season. The Colts released tight end Weslye Saunders after his second positive test and half-season suspension, and Jackson’s job is by no means safe.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh reportedly chewed him out and threatened to Jackson after he jumped into a practice scrum last week, and the suspension is going to loom over him for some time.

One punt return in the preseason won’t make that go away, but anything he can do to convince them he’s trying to fix things will help.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Asa Jackson gives the Ravens something positive”
  1. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 8:55 AM

Of course he scored, he was faster than everyone else because of the performance enhancers he was on.

2. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 16, 2013 8:58 AM

At least he’ll be back for Thanksgiving when the Ravens roast, I mean host, the Steelers.

3. bmorepositive123 says: Aug 16, 2013 9:18 AM

“It’s all part of football. It’s all part of life. You’re going to go through ups and downs, …”

No, it’s called don’t cheat. Then you get to play a full football season. I have no sympathy for guys who get caught… TWICE.

4. jobotjones says: Aug 16, 2013 9:45 AM

Cheater.

5. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 16, 2013 9:56 AM

Typical drug-failing Ratbird.

6. si1m says: Aug 16, 2013 9:58 AM

Please select the following Ravens desperate trolling attack:

(a) Ravens will be 6-10 if not worse
    (b) SB MVP Flacco overpaid
    (c) Matt Elam won’t make the team
    (d) Ozzie Newsome worst NFL GM
    (e) Something something RATBIRDS
    (f) Something about Ray Lewis

Thank you for participating in this Survey. This is just easier on everyone.

7. mbart94 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:04 AM

“I’m just going to keep trying to go out there and do what I can to help the team win games and show that I can still be a valuable asset to the team.”——-yeah except when I am selfish and take PEDs (for a 2nd time) and get suspended and let my teammates down….. Do these idiots really think before they talk…… They should allow them to play at the beginning of the season then suspend them for the last few games and post season to get the point across

8. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 11:59 AM

@mbart, great post. In Jackson’s case though, he should be suspended the last 8 games of the season, as the post-season is just a dream for this current squad.

9. steelerben says: Aug 16, 2013 12:26 PM

“You’re going to go through ups and downs, but it’s how you handle things when things are bad that really define your character, not when they’re good.”

So, like when you are struggling to make a team and you make the decision to cheat that defines you as someone that doesn’t have the heart to do the work on their own? Or is it that when you are not being caught cheating it is the “good times” and the money you made makes it easier to deal with the “bad” of being suspended?

Do you plan on being in shape to come back and prove how you can help your team by running another cycle of steroids during your two month vacation?

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 16, 2013 12:33 PM

I’m sure you weren’t called crownofthehelmet in 2010 but I’d love to see what you wrote (or thought) about Roethlisbooger’s (4 game) suspension since you purport to have a better sense of fairness than the NFL.

11. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 12:36 PM

@si1m, those aren’t trolling posts.

a) & b) are factual statements
    c) might be factual, only time will tell
    d) he’s not the worst GM (not the best either, see Colbert)
    e) that’s name-calling, not trolling
    f) not sure what that “something” might be

Maybe you should post the same survey on EVERY article.

12. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 12:45 PM

@jmf, in 2010 I promptly trashed my Ben jersey, as I have a daughter and some moral issues are bigger than football. Whether he actually did anything illegal, or just put himself in a bad situation, doesn’t matter at that point, there’s enough smoke to form my personal opinion. Here’s my general rule of thumb, if I wouldn’t want you hanging around my house, I don’t own your jersey. My #43 jersey is pretty lonely in my closet these days.

But I also think it was wrong BB got suspended solely based on allegations of a non-football related situation. Using drugs to cheat is a different story. Jackson did it, got caught (2X), end of story.

13. finallythevoiceofreason says: Aug 16, 2013 1:16 PM

Please select the following Ravens desperate trolling attack:

(a) Ravens will be 6-10 if not worse
    (b) SB MVP Flacco overpaid
    (c) Matt Elam won’t make the team
    (d) Ozzie Newsome worst NFL GM
    (e) Something something RATBIRDS
    (f) Something about Ray Lewis

Thank you for participating in this Survey. This is just easier on everyone.

How about the truth? (g) The Ravens fans are the most delusional and hypocritical fans in all of sports.

14. finallythevoiceofreason says: Aug 16, 2013 1:20 PM

Roethlisberger was suspended because the NFL and the Steelers wanted to set an example of him. He did not rape anyone and the alleged victim’s story did not hold up since she changed it 3 times.
    Too bad the suspension did not hurt the Steelers though. They went 3-1 without him and appeared in the Super Bowl.

15. finallythevoiceofreason says: Aug 16, 2013 1:23 PM

Asa Jackson gives the Ravens something positive

Well yes he did. He gave them a positive result on a second PED test.

16. lovefootball4life says: Aug 16, 2013 2:05 PM

steelerben it was Adderall not roids for Jackson.

Whatever it was and whether the story of Dr approved or not it was against the rules and he should pay the price. He was, after all, at this point of the game playing as the 3rd or 4th option at return man. Ravens tried out a bunch of other guys in the first half.

This is my third attempt at a comment. Either I’ve really po’ed the editors or something…I don’t know.

17. si1m says: Aug 16, 2013 2:57 PM

16 comments, 10 of them by mad, bitter fans of the irrelevant Steelers. Nothing else going in life fellas? Thought so. The first Ravens article of the day is like the best part of your day, I get it now!

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 16, 2013 3:56 PM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    Aug 16, 2013 12:33 PM

1 1 crown your answer was spot on if I don’t wont you in my house I don’t wear your jersey.
    But we both know what you were called last year and why you are not called that anymore…….right? Too funny r-v-n—-.

19. rcali says: Aug 16, 2013 4:02 PM

Anyone else see his “look at me” moment on the sidelines after he scored that touchdown? He had to wait to do his dance until the penalty flag was figured out. No wonder he’s gone for half the season.

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 16, 2013 4:30 PM

si1m says:
    Aug 16, 2013 2:57 PM

1 0 I guess it is something we learned from you Raven trolls as every steeler thread is started off by raven trolls led by flaccomontana Joe. Surprised you just got it….no I am not as you are not the sharpest tool in the box …a little like Asa Jackson with his second offense.

21. youcallthatreporting says: Aug 16, 2013 7:32 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    ““
    And every Ravens story has you on it telling Ravens fans how stupid you think they are. You get what you ask for troll.

22. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 16, 2013 7:53 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    ““

0 0
    Report comment. Not every story moron…but some ..it’s good to remind some of what thy so fiercely deny… You are light roof…yikes and cheers

23. taosravenfan says: Aug 16, 2013 8:30 PM

if colbert is such a better gm than ozzie how do you explain the ravens in the playoffs 5 years in a row while the squealers were watching us win the superbowl last year with the 17th ranked D

24. ampatsisahypocrite says: Aug 17, 2013 4:31 PM

Well I guess they needed something bright, as the Ravens first team certainly got crushed by Atlanta.