Barkevious Mingo expected to miss a week or so with bruised lung

Barkevious Mingo AP

A bruised lung sounds like a highly unpleasant injury, but it doesn’t look like it will cause Browns linebacker Barkevious Mingo to miss much time.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports that Mingo will be released from the hospital on Friday after spending the night there after getting hurt against the Lions on Thursday. Rapoport also reports that Mingo is expected to miss the next week or so while recovering from the injury, which likely means he’ll miss the third preseason game while being healthy in time to start the regular season on the field.

The prognosis could be considerably worse, all things considered, and Mingo shouldn’t have much of a problem holding onto his projected role as a rotational pass rusher on defense.

There’s also an update on the health of guard Jason Pinkston’s ankle. It’s a high ankle sprain for Pinkston, according to veteran NFL writer Jason Cole, and that will put his availability for the start of the season in doubt. With Shawn Lauvao recovering from his own ankle surgery, that would likely place Garrett Gilkey at right guard for the open of the season.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Barkevious Mingo expected to miss a week or so with bruised lung”
  1. hehateme2 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:14 AM

Did Suh stomp him in the chest?

2. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 16, 2013 10:15 AM

In all my years of following the NFL and college football (plus other sports and non-sports-related injuries), I can say I’ve never once heard of a “bruised lung.”

If the lungs are bruised, how are the ribs (and/or sternum) at the contact point doing?

3. jimmyt says: Aug 16, 2013 10:16 AM

Bruised lung? What the heck was he smoking?

4. godofwine330 says: Aug 16, 2013 11:06 AM

I didn’t even see him get hurt. I saw him get the block on that punt return that was called back due to Joe Haden’s unnecesary hold. That was the last time I saw him. Hopefully he will be fine.

5. scmems07 says: Aug 16, 2013 11:09 AM

does this mean he is injury prone? most news outlets and fans think as soon as a player gets one injury and misses any time they are injury prone….just wondering

6. nolanwiffle says: Aug 16, 2013 11:19 AM

Who names their kid “Barkevious”?

7. prmpft says: Aug 16, 2013 11:43 AM

OUCH! I am not a browns fan – but I hate that for him…that has to hurt – get well soon.

8. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 12:28 PM

One of the down sides to having a lean, quick linebacker is their body won’t hold up to the pounding as well as a bigger LB.

Not a shot, Cle fans, just an observation. He’ll help your D tremendously, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2-3 games missed a year.

I’d expect Weeden to miss a couple too, but that’ll be from old-age arthritis. Yes, that was a shot.

9. dcp29 says: Aug 16, 2013 2:26 PM

Only a week or so for a bruised lung? It must not be that bad. I had a bruised lung years ago and it took a couple of months before I felt better. I couldn’t imagine trying to play a contact sport a week after it happened. You don’t realize how much you move around, even while sitting, until every move you make feels like someone’s hitting you in the chest with a bat.

Then again, I wasn’t a pro athlete, so his recovery time may be much quicker. I couldn’t find a comfortable position to sleep in nor could I take full deep breaths for a few weeks. I hope he’s only out a week or so, but wouldn’t be surprised if its longer.

10. oimakkamio says: Aug 16, 2013 3:38 PM

i’m sure this Ndamukong Suh’s fault too right PFT?