John Harbaugh praises Aaron Mellette’s play and preparation

Aaron Mellette, Deveron Carr AP

Performance in preseason games is important for young players trying to make a roster; no one would say otherwise. But practicing like a pro is vital, too.

Look no further than the case of Ravens rookie wide receiver Aaron Mellette.

In the preseason opener at Tampa Bay, the seventh-round pick caught a touchdown pass.

However, two days later, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh chewed Mellette out for his practice play, calling him “lazy,” per BaltimoreRavens.com.

That’s hardly the way for a rookie drafted in the final round to make a good impression.

The good news for Mellette? He caught another touchdown pass in Thursday’s preseason win vs. Atlanta.

Most importantly for the rookie, Harbaugh liked Mellette’s game performance and his practice play this week.

“Aaron has had a good week of practice. Not just in the two games has he played well, but he’s had a great week of practice and I’d like to take credit for that,” Harbaugh said after the game, eliciting laughter from observers, per a transcript from the club.

“But, it probably wouldn’t be fair. I think he has done a great job of battling through some adversity and responding well to some hard coaching, and that’s the mark of a guy that I think has a lot of character, a lot of confidence – so, he’s done really well. [I’m] proud of him, very proud of him.”

Mellette didn’t hurt his cause to make the Ravens with the touchdown on Thursday night — and his preparation being up to Harbaugh’s standards was surely helpful.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “John Harbaugh praises Aaron Mellette’s play and preparation”
  1. ravenousmind says: Aug 16, 2013 1:16 PM

In it says “after their preseason loss to Atlanta”….. WRONG, Ravens won last night !

2. ravenousmind says: Aug 16, 2013 1:17 PM

“He caught another touchdown pass in Thursday’s preseason loss to Atlanta.”

WRONG…THE RAVENS WON!

3. ravensmike410 says: Aug 16, 2013 1:22 PM

You do know it wasn’t a loss, right?

4. theravenlives2 says: Aug 16, 2013 1:29 PM

The good news for Mellette? He caught another touchdown pass in Thursday’s preseason loss to Atlanta.

==============================
    Ummm….in spite of how horribly they played in the first half, the Ravens won the game 27-24. Look it up!

5. joeflaccoownsyoulosers says: Aug 16, 2013 1:29 PM

The Ravens WON Mike Wilkening!! Now apologize to the reigning champs!

6. kane337 says: Aug 16, 2013 1:30 PM

Well the Ravens first and second teamers lost

7. doe22us says: Aug 16, 2013 1:31 PM

Factually it was a win, but practically it may as well have been a loss for the starters. Anyhow, preseason no one cares well except for Irsay.

8. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 16, 2013 1:58 PM

He doesn’t have the workout measurables the other young WRs on this team have, but he has two huge things the rest of these guys haven’t shown too much of: awareness (of his own body, where the ball in the air is, and of his defender) and great hands

This kid should get a real long look for the 53 man roster

Jones isn’t a true 2

Doss is inconsistent unreliable

The rest are run and jump out of the building athletes but haven’t developed any real receiving skills like route running, awareness, and hands

9. ingraven says: Aug 16, 2013 2:03 PM

Need to give him a chance to run with the starters since no one else has stepped up. give him a shot. it wouldnt hurt!!!

10. lovefootball4life says: Aug 16, 2013 2:11 PM

My guess he makes the team because he was just drafted and is a rookie. You know Stokley and Clark will make it. Pitta might take up a spot on IR return list, Dickson keeps his. Smith and Jones keep theirs. That leaves a LOT of guys at both TE and WR fighting for a job. Not sure I’d keep Visanthe. Maybe he can block but appears his hands have turned to stone.

11. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 16, 2013 2:20 PM

Harbaugh hyping another one of his players. Who could have seen this coming?

12. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 16, 2013 2:21 PM

the champs discovered another gem

#REPEAT

13. dcapettini says: Aug 16, 2013 2:27 PM

He was pretty well covered on both those catches too. They should have Shincoe’s supposed roster spot available, but they may want to give that to Furstenburg.

14. lovefootball4life says: Aug 16, 2013 2:42 PM

“Harbaugh hyping another one of his players. Who could have seen this coming?”

Its called positive reinforcement in coaching. Harbaugh dressed him down, Mellette responded well, Harbaugh is praising his reaction to further build loyalty. Parents do it to kids, leaders do it to followers.

Ah, why bother explaining to you. You’re one of the worst trolls out there.

15. Mike Wilkening says: Aug 16, 2013 2:48 PM

The reference to the loss has been removed. Thank you for pointing it out. My mistake.

16. gtisme says: Aug 16, 2013 2:51 PM

Almost as shocking that 6-trolls would be on here with a haterade comment about the Ravens….I just can’t believe that…next thing you know that Crown of the Helmet guy will be on here saying something in a negative light towards my team…this is shaping up to be a crazy day I’ll tell you what! Will wonders never cease?!

17. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 2:52 PM

You got it right Wilkening, they did loose – they lost their dignity after that pathetic display.

18. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 16, 2013 3:02 PM

how was that gtisme?

19. moagecu says: Aug 16, 2013 3:09 PM

gtisme says:Aug 16, 2013 2:51 PM

————–

crownofthehelmet says:Aug 16, 2013 2:52 PM

————–

The timing on this made me laugh

20. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 16, 2013 3:46 PM

_______________________________

21. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 16, 2013 4:17 PM

@youarejealous
    That’s all you got? My, you could have said:

1.I’m glad Harbaugh is treating his players like children. What’s next? Reward them with ice cream…oh wait.

2. Well, obviously you are a follower because you believe every platitude that comes out of Harbaugh’s mouth.

3. I’m glad Harbaugh is building loyalty. That way, there’s no mutiny when the team goes 0-8 the first half of the season.

These you might have said, had you some tinge of wit or letters. But wit, you don’t have an atom. And as for letters, we need but three to describe every one of your posts: L-O-L.

22. jtbsteeler says: Aug 16, 2013 5:43 PM

“T.O. is that you? Your agent gave us this number, look we’d like you to come to Baltimore for a physical” – Ozzie

23. lovefootball4life says: Aug 16, 2013 7:21 PM

“It’s only positive reinforcement if it works. “Leaders do it to followers” is a very broad statement and is misrepresented.”
    ~~~~
    Its a leadership tool. You don’t call a hammer a hammer only if it pounds a nail. “Leaders do it to followers” is indeed a broad statement meant to imply any position of authority meant to lead and inspire others – military officers to junior officers, officers and NCO to enlisted, chiefs of fire/police to detectives, coaches to players, good managers to employees, etc. Harbaugh is using a very straightforward leadership tool to inspire Mellette to be all he can be. Tomlin does the same I’m sure.

and jmf, you don’t need to teach someone how to troll. In fact you should back off some yourself it is extreme.

24. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 16, 2013 8:20 PM

I commend you for your wisdom for admonishing JMF..raven—-
    And will temper my approach once he does the sae…..sometimes being banned from a site means nothing.

25. lovefootball4life says: Aug 16, 2013 9:43 PM

@nofool, I appreciate your comment, thank you, but I don’t need your validation. Your style to defeat trolling by trolling and insulting doesn’t work. You served our country and because of the war you fought I assume also have lived a good life. You know the difference between positive and negative motivation. I would assume you apply that here.

26. deathonwings410 says: Aug 17, 2013 7:39 AM

I hope this kid pans out and turns into our Markus Colston…7th rounder starting AND thriving day 1. Because I’ve seen enough of the Tandon Doss experiment. The fact that Stokley was signed off the couch and is running with the 1’s and Foss is running with the 3’s as he’s been here for years, is telling.

27. scoobies05 says: Aug 17, 2013 8:06 AM

mr owens cant come to the phone….mr colbert wont let him

28. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 17, 2013 3:14 PM

lovefootball4life says:
    Aug 16, 2013 9:43 PM

3 0 I wasn’t validating anything. I complimented you for telling a raven troll to back off which was very nice. My service to our country has nothing to do with my life being good or bad. It did teach me not to back down in the face of adversity and to not suffer fools gladly. I also know the difference between joking and mean spirited comments meant to taunt others. I would suggest you learn the difference and preach that to your fellow raven fans on this thread. Have a great day.

29. ampatsisahypocrite says: Aug 17, 2013 4:33 PM

C’mon, the real Ravens team got its butt kicked 23-7, so yeah they did lose in a real sense. Good thing Baltimore didn’t have to face Atlanta in the Bowl, they’d have gotten whipped and no MVP and big overpay for Joe. Fortunately they got to play brother Harbs who goofed up big time.

30. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 17, 2013 4:51 PM

“I also know the difference between joking and mean spirited comments meant to taunt others.”

Pretty sure that suggesting a devout member of LDS uses banned substances is the latter (no religious pun intended). Cheers! or Yikes! or whatever.

31. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 17, 2013 5:15 PM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    Aug 17, 2013 4:51 PM

0 0 Taunting is your trade mark as the president of the raven little boys trolling club…..your sense of humor needs help.