Vick thanks Chip Kelly for making football fun

Michael Vick, Chip Kelly AP

Through two weeks of the preseason, Michael Vick is playing very well in Chip Kelly’s offense. He’s also having a lot of fun.

I’m having fun playing football,” Vick said, via CSNPhilly.com. “I fell in love with the game again, and I’m very thankful for that. You’ve got to play this game with intense passion and a purpose and I thank Coach Kelly for what he’s done for me, and that’s given me that confidence that I felt that I was losing at some point in my career.”

Vick hinted that last year’s poor play and losing record wore him down.

“When things don’t go well and when everybody’s pointing the finger at you, sometimes it can hurt your confidence,” Vick said. “You can be one of the best players in the league and sometimes outside sources can maybe waver your feelings or your emotions, and I read everything that was said. I lived it. But, you know, when I first sat down with Coach Kelly, his main concern, his main goal, was to help me get back to tip-top shape and get me to a point where I can be comfortable and believing in myself again, and I thank him for that.”

Vick has completed 13 of 15 passes for 199 yards this preseason. If he keeps playing like that, he and Kelly are going to have a whole lot of fun together.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Vick thanks Chip Kelly for making football fun”
  1. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 16, 2013 7:20 AM

Loser.

2. PFT=crap says: Aug 16, 2013 7:26 AM

OK, now stay healthy for 19 games.

3. vstar1us says: Aug 16, 2013 7:26 AM

Good for Vick hi is a talent we get every now and then, just keep away from the folks who give you bad vibes. I know you are a grown man, but if you hang with trailer trash white or black you. Can become them. Prove to people to can rise above that. Green Bay Packer Fan……..

4. marima07 says: Aug 16, 2013 7:27 AM

“Football is fun?” Coach Boone wouldn’t like that one bit.

5. kozmathomas says: Aug 16, 2013 7:30 AM

Can’t wait for the regular season.

6. pissondallas7 says: Aug 16, 2013 7:31 AM

Yeah its fun when your not getting smoked by line backers , looked good last night but took another hit that he did not respond well too.The fun will end once he is injured for the year again .

7. pinion8ted says: Aug 16, 2013 7:38 AM

Everybody was pointing their fingers at you because you SUCKED.

P.S.
    Having fun does not necessarily mean winning ;)

8. cobrala2 says: Aug 16, 2013 7:42 AM

I understand people won’t like Vick because of his past and/or because he’s an Eagle.

But nobody in media is publicly-questioning IF he’s a changed man anymore.

He may not have been someone to respect and you don’t have to like him now, but football aside the man is trying, and that’s a lot further than most people can lay claim to.

9. pissondallas7 says: Aug 16, 2013 7:44 AM

Its fun when your not getting smoked by line backers .He looked good last night ,but he did not respond well to that hit .Making me nervous ,fun will be over if he does not finish the season .

10. gustwo says: Aug 16, 2013 7:49 AM

Regardless of ones personal opinion of Vick, he has looked very polished and relaxed in this system. He obviously is extremely confident in his offensive line and the options being provided by it for him overall. If the reports coming out of camp are to be believed, then he has also assumed a true leadership mantle with this team. Staying healthy and continuing to improve with this offense could make for a very interesting and entertaining season.

11. southbeachtalent says: Aug 16, 2013 7:50 AM

That was fun to watch, used to love watching Oregon but didn’t think that would translate to the NFL, I was wrong. If he and shady can stay healthy it should be exciting to watch.

12. sampulls says: Aug 16, 2013 7:53 AM

I’ve always liked Vick….but he needs to keep his mouth closed.

13. eastkoast49er says: Aug 16, 2013 7:59 AM

At some points last season, you could tell Vick still had it. I thought he was just paranoid he was going to get his ribs broken again from the horrible O-Line play!

But Vick, stop saying you read what was written about you and it wavered your confidence. I like what Vick has done for the game, but if bad press makes you play bad, you can’t be my QB if I was a GM. Feels like this thanks was a plea to get on coach Kelly’s good side…

14. floratiotime says: Aug 16, 2013 8:07 AM

Translation: Please can I be the starter coach … please.

15. 23chameleons says: Aug 16, 2013 8:09 AM

It’s gotta be better than playing “pitch & catch” in Leavenworth …

16. jvw1982 says: Aug 16, 2013 8:18 AM

Good for you Vic, Love watching you play when you’re at the top of your game…First sign of maturity was how he handled the Riley Cooper situation…good to hear he’s having fun again…..

17. lovedabirds says: Aug 16, 2013 8:25 AM

“You can be one of the best players in the league and sometimes outside sources can maybe waver your feelings or your emotions, and I read everything that was said. ”

But you’re not one of the best players in the league. You have proven to be mediocre at best. 2-3 career playoff record, 3 coaches fired that have put their stock in you. This it typical Vick, never taking responsibility for HIS role in the losing. This guy is a under-achieving, over-hyped windbag that will never be a big game QB & always has a million excuses for his bad performances. Philly will never win a damn this with this guy at QB.

18. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Aug 16, 2013 8:32 AM

Man this team is going to the DOGS! What? Too Soon?

19. whatjusthapped says: Aug 16, 2013 8:33 AM

Vick made football fun last year for the opposing teams. His Red Zone turnovers killed the Eagles and help seal their losses. Before we pronounce Vick as the starter, let’s see if they can get him to avoid fumbles and INT’s.

20. greymares says: Aug 16, 2013 8:40 AM

I was hoping that Foles or Barkley would win this job because I thought Vick was to old to help this team when they will be ready to win. That being said Vick is really looking good in this vanilla version of Kelly’s offense. He looks very smooth and in control I’m still concerned about his ability to read but I’m excited to see where it goes.

21. spellingcops says: Aug 16, 2013 8:46 AM

One of the best players in the league? He wasn’t even in the top half of the best QBs in the league.

22. Youknowimright says: Aug 16, 2013 8:53 AM

Remeber when he killed all of those dogs. The dogs did not think that was fun.

23. mp4philly says: Aug 16, 2013 8:53 AM

Love you, Mike. That’s enough with the boot licking though.

24. nananatman says: Aug 16, 2013 8:58 AM

Both he and Jackson were limping towards the end of their series last night.

25. mack2x says: Aug 16, 2013 8:58 AM

Brown noser.

26. Colt Cassidy says: Aug 16, 2013 9:09 AM

Vick will be just fine thanks to a system which actually makes more sense for his particular style of QB.

Nick Foles is also an excellent QB, and will light up the scoreboard.

Looking forward to the Eagles having a very good – if not a spectacular season. Go Eagles!

27. bleedgreen says: Aug 16, 2013 9:17 AM

Vick’s ABILITY was never in doubt. He has the ability and the physical tools and always has. His problem is going to be once he starts experiencing live fire regular season defenses and having to make quicker decisions. He also needs to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy and get time behind the line to make decisions, he’s been phenomenal. See: 2010. Good O-Line, was 100% healthy. As soon as he started getting hit in 2011 and 2012, it was all downhill.

28. abninf says: Aug 16, 2013 9:17 AM

It’s fun except until the herpes flares up.

29. adm350 says: Aug 16, 2013 9:33 AM

He is en fuego. Staying healthy is a whole lot easier standing upright. That o line is tight. Weeeeeeeeeere baaaaaaack!! Fly eagles fly!!!! N

30. Steeley McBeam says: Aug 16, 2013 9:37 AM

How many second chances does this guy need?

31. sevensgottago says: Aug 16, 2013 9:46 AM

As an Eagles fan, football won’t be fun for me until Bad Newz Vick is gone from the roster.

32. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 16, 2013 9:49 AM

Love how Kelly is treating Vick. Success is fun and if Vick is going to start and the team succeed, Vick will have earned it this offseason & preseason.

33. patriots420 says: Aug 16, 2013 9:51 AM

I knew Vick would thrive in Kelly’s offense, maybe 3-4 years ago he would have been the ultimate qb for his offense but he still has plenty in the tank to run it at a high level.

34. jpk6044 says: Aug 16, 2013 9:51 AM

It’s a lot easier to play behind a healthy and effective offensive line.

35. youngmouth83 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:08 AM

you haters micheal vick is a great player.
    dont forget the atl. days vick make a mistake he paid for lets judge his play on the field not his personal life are y’all need to grow up Michael Vick is the man philly in my blood.

36. realfootballfan says: Aug 16, 2013 10:14 AM

Should be an easy decision. Vick has looked excellent so far in this offense. The Eagles problem is their defense, but if they can fix this even a little bit, Kelly might just take the league by storm.

37. awesomo2000 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:18 AM

As an Eagles fan, he has not been blitzed yet. Wait until then.

38. bobbyhoying says: Aug 16, 2013 10:27 AM

It’s amazing what protection and a run game can do for a QB’s confidence. I hope Mike stays healthy but I think Kelly is acting as if both guys will be the starter because he knows both eventually will.

39. nealjr80 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:39 AM

I see the haters are out in full force 2day! I rocks wit cha Vick! #MV7

40. kvanhorn87 says: Aug 16, 2013 10:41 AM

Hugh Douglas has a few names to call you after that rear end kissing

41. baddegg says: Aug 16, 2013 11:14 AM

A lot of folks are ragging on the Eagles but I think they could be a bit of a sleeper team this year. I’m not predicting Super Bowl or even playoffs, but they may shock some teams this year.

I know it’s “only pre-season,” but the fact that the Eagles have so quickly taken to Kelly’s offense is a good sign for them, and they will have the advantage of having a really fresh philosophy that D Coordinators will not have tons of film on.

As a Redskins fan, I am actually a little nervous about that first game. They won’t have film on all of Kelly’s new wrinkles, the Eagles still have lots of weapons, and RGIII will be playing in his first game of the season with live action. I’m sure the Redskins will be “favored” playing at home and fresh off a division title season, but if it is possible to have a “trap game” the first game of the year, this is it…

42. robgilman says: Aug 16, 2013 11:26 AM

Glad to hear. A good Michael Vick in an offense he enjoys playing in is fun to watch and good for the league

43. dolphins4 says: Aug 16, 2013 11:46 AM

What I find amazing is when Nick Foles is playing QB Jackson don’t try hard but when Jackson’s boy Vick comes into the game Jackson is wide open all the time.

44. realskipbayless says: Aug 16, 2013 11:48 AM

Vick is a piece of garbage

45. skinsfanwill says: Aug 16, 2013 12:04 PM

Can you play defense though? New England ran for 200 yards in the first half against you guys. Imagine what the running teams in the NFC East will do. chip Kelly better start paying some attention to that defense. Can they make it to the 4th quarter. the faster your offense plays the faster your sorry defense is back on the field.

46. jwil007 says: Aug 16, 2013 12:10 PM

Philly FO and Fans dont want him…CUT HIM! As stated earlier Mike Brown and Cincy will sign him a heartbeat in the event Dalton cant get the ball past 30 yards with accuracy….You all dont want him…Cut him loose…. Foles will take you all the SB this year….So whats the hold up????? IJS! LOL

47. furnhole says: Aug 16, 2013 12:49 PM

Nice way to suck up to the boss. I guess Mikey really wants to start.

48. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Classy, Vick. Blame everyone else. Reid did what he could to put Vick in a position to succeed. Let’s see if Vick is having fun when the team isn’t winning most of the games this year and he is back to his regular self– turning the ball over and getting banged up because he refuses to run out of bounds or slide.

49. phelbin says: Aug 16, 2013 1:11 PM

This also happens to be the first year that the starting QB job wasn’t handed to Vick on talent and reputation alone. Probably the first time since peewee football. It’s no coincidence that he’s stepped up his game this year. He’s had to.

50. janvanflac says: Aug 16, 2013 1:47 PM

Yes it’s “just preseason” but he looks extremely sharp while playing within a system, not freelancing. Having said that Foles does a good job too. Either way they are going to score lots of points. If the defense is just so-so this team will surprise people this year.

51. lovedabirds says: Aug 16, 2013 1:56 PM

jwil007 says:
    Aug 16, 2013 12:10 PM
    ================================
    One thing is certain, Vick isn’t taking ANY TEAM to the Super Bowl any year.

52. mikellie says: Aug 16, 2013 2:07 PM

Jason Witten TE 110 1039
    Dez Bryant WR 92 1382
    Miles Austin WR 66 943

53. mikellie says: Aug 16, 2013 2:09 PM

COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS
    COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS

54. bookofelisha10 says: Aug 16, 2013 3:07 PM

if iwas an eagle fan id be wondering how a man who just did a prision stint fell out of love with the game after only like 3 years back. after a fat contract. NYG

55. kev86 says: Aug 16, 2013 3:20 PM

Eli has two rings. Fun to say.

56. mikellie says: Aug 16, 2013 4:50 PM

57. channer81 says: Aug 16, 2013 5:48 PM

I’m a skins fan and I find myself looking forward to watching Vick operate this offense. Of course if he beats us I’ll probably say ” Screw that offense”. But this seems like the offense that he should have been running when he entered the league.

58. bigbwoy000 says: Aug 16, 2013 6:47 PM

“you haters micheal vick is a great player.
    dont forget the atl. days”

Great player?? Seriously?? Where does that come from? 3 winning campaigns in 10 NFL seasons? His career 2-3 playoff record? What did he do in Atlanta that was so special? Did Vick win a Super Bowl in Atlanta? He dumped off to Crumpler or ran while in Atlanta, check his stats. This guy has never been a great player.

“Eli isn’t a top 10 QB. It is a team game and he wouldn’t have ANY rings if it weren’t for the rest of his team. (Fun to say).”

Your team hasn’t seen a ring in 53 years and that’s A LOT more fun to say. And right, Eli had NOTHING at all to do with the winning 2 minute drives to win both games. Nothing what so ever, he was a spectator. Hate on E all you want but 2 SB MVP’s say he sure is a top 5 QB. How many SB MVP’s do Eagle QB’s have again?

59. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 16, 2013 11:33 PM

All the talk about Chip’s Oregon up tempo offense and getting lots of offensive plays. How will defenses possibly handle it?

And they scored only 14 points? Against defenses that had no game plan for it.

60. ajw4277 says: Aug 18, 2013 4:08 PM