Raiders clear D.J. Hayden for contact

D.J. Hayden AP

The Raiders first-round pick has been cleared for contact, giving him the chance to shed the red jersey he’s been wearing as a result of the May surgery to remove scar tissue in his abdomen related to last year’s emergency surgery to repair the torn inferior vena cava in his heart. Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Hayden was “anxious and excited” to get back to a full workload, something he thinks is a good thing even if no one’s certain how things will play out for Hayden.

“Nobody knows how he’s going to respond when that happens,” Allen said, via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com. “We’ve had to hold him back at practice, because he wants to do everything. From that standpoint, I think he has a great mindset going into this thing. I think it’ll be great for him to get that first team appearance under his belt.”

If all goes well, Hayden will make his preseason debut against the Bears on Friday and the Raiders will start to get a clearer idea of where their first-round pick is at this point and how much he’ll be able to help them as a rookie.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Raiders clear D.J. Hayden for contact”
  1. elliottcovert says: Aug 18, 2013 9:45 AM

I’m rooting for this kid, but I know I’m going to be nervous for him every play of his career.

2. MyTeamsAllStink says: Aug 18, 2013 9:59 AM

that’s great but how bout a pass rush now?Because there isn’t one

3. williamwallacewouldhavebeenaraider says: Aug 18, 2013 10:06 AM

Nice!!!!!!Raider haters, well u know what Raider haters. I don’t want my post deleted. Silver and Black will rise

4. radrntn says: Aug 18, 2013 11:41 AM

good to get him back. Now maybe we can get our entire starting D-line healthy as well.

Whats the latest with Watson? With Velhdeer going down we need him.

5. tooz56 says: Aug 18, 2013 7:36 PM

“It’s been more than a year since Raiders cornerback D.J. Hayden has taken part in a full-contact football practice, but that will change on Sunday.”

Huh ?? Now if he got hurt on Nov 6th 2012, if my math is right, that is a bit LESS then a year ago. Please do a little research BEFORE putting up your stories.

6. dougydougdoug says: Aug 18, 2013 8:10 PM

“Raiders clear D.J. Hayden for contact”

Uh, okay…

That’s like TEPCO declaring that Fukushima is safe and secure.

7. raidadon says: Aug 18, 2013 8:47 PM

DO WORK IRON HAYDEN!!!

8. aldavis4president says: Aug 21, 2013 8:46 AM

Hayden is a better outside corner then Tracy porter. A little tighter coverage on the outside, 3starters on our DLINE should be back (Houston, walker, and Sims) I think we might be able to get enough pass rush if our secondary holds strong. I do like what Jack Crawford showed last week though! We need 1 guy to show up in a big way at DE,OL!! #RAIDERNATION!!