Jaguars release Mohamed Massaquoi, Jason Spitz

Mohamed Massaquoi, Tony Sorrentino AP

As the preseason starts to wind down, more and more notable names will be pared from rosters.

The Jaguars released two players with multiple years of NFL starting experience on Monday, letting go of wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and offensive lineman Jason Spitz, John Oehser of Jaguars.com reported.

Massaquoi, 26, signed with the Jaguars in the spring after four seasons with the Browns. He started 43 games for Cleveland, catching 118 passes for 1,745 yards and seven touchdowns.

The 30-year-old Spitz has 45 career starts, all with the Packers, for whom he played from 2006 through 2010. Spitz appeared in 10 games as a reserve for Jacksonville in 2011. He missed the 2012 season with a foot injury.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jaguars release Mohamed Massaquoi, Jason Spitz”
  1. unbiasfan says: Aug 19, 2013 2:48 PM

If you get cut from the Jaguars, there’s a big chance you will be taking orders in a McDonald’s drive-thru in 2 years…

2. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 19, 2013 2:51 PM

Sending all the over 25 players off on ice floes….

3. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 19, 2013 2:52 PM

Allah is displeased with this decision.

4. ingraven says: Aug 19, 2013 2:52 PM

back to the browns?

5. shackdelrio says: Aug 19, 2013 2:53 PM

It was a bad sign for Mohamed Massaquoi that he was being outplayed by two UDFA’s in Mike Brown and Tobaias Palmer.

6. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Aug 19, 2013 2:53 PM

As a Raider fan I could be completely off base but I’m really surprised about Massaquoi’s career. I saw him in the preseason when he was a rookie on a few games and thought he was a bright spot. But the same could be said about Chaz Schilens. Preseason superstar, not much after that.

7. raiderinvader says: Aug 19, 2013 2:53 PM

Come on Raiders ! pick up Spitz for some o-line help

8. pathsovglory says: Aug 19, 2013 2:54 PM

I’m sensing a Seahawks counterpunch to the Baldwin/Jenkins trade coming soon…

9. bmorepositive123 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:58 PM

I thought Massaquoi was pretty decent?

10. brownsfanincali says: Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM

I’m still wondering how massaquoi made it this long in the NFL … I’m still trying to recover from watching the Browns waste two 2nd round picks in the same draft on MM and Brian Robiskie.

11. howiefeltersnatch says: Aug 19, 2013 3:04 PM

Both of Mangini’s second round WR draft picks from four years ago are sitting on the couch waiting for the new Madden to come out.

12. brownsfanincali says: Aug 19, 2013 3:08 PM

brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–
    A chimp with a handful of darts and draft board couldn’t have come up with a worse overall draft the the Browns did that year.

13. bettis3636 says: Aug 19, 2013 3:16 PM

14. Steeley McBeam says: Aug 19, 2013 3:17 PM

Massaquoi would be a starter in Baltimore haha

15. jackblackshairyback says: Aug 19, 2013 3:34 PM

brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:08 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.

16. ravenallday says: Aug 19, 2013 3:36 PM

Steeley McBeam says: Massaquoi would be a starter in Baltimore haha!

Well ass clown, I guess he would have a ring if that was the case.

Are there no speeding cars for you to play with?

17. vdogg says: Aug 19, 2013 3:42 PM

Cut by the Jags….? Ouch.

18. zoxitic says: Aug 19, 2013 4:22 PM

He will be on a plane to detroit in a day or two.

19. zoxitic says: Aug 19, 2013 4:26 PM

bettis3636 says:Aug 19, 2013 3:16 PMummmmm… the Jags have a receiver better then Massaquoi on their roster???.. news to me.. Isnt Blackmon suspended for 4 gomes?…
    ————————————————————-

You don’t have too much football knowledge, do you?

20. brownsfanincali says: Aug 19, 2013 4:40 PM

jackblackshairyback says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:34 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:08 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.

—————————-
    That’s true, Jack, my bad…. Also, accidentally hit the ” submit ” button on my phone before I was finished with the first post, I’m not usually a self-quoter.

21. shadowcell says: Aug 19, 2013 5:01 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Chargers snap up Massaquoi.

22. audient says: Aug 19, 2013 5:19 PM

————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.
    —-

Mack in the first round, and only Mack. First round should be a gimme. But blowing THREE second round picks on Mo Mass, Robiskie, and David Veikune? Mangini’s unforgivable sin. And the rest of the draft? None of the rest are with the Browns any more. The ones that are still in the league are with such fine teams as the Raiders.

23. i10east says: Aug 19, 2013 5:27 PM

Cut by “fill in the blank NFL team” ouch….

24. laxcoach37 says: Aug 19, 2013 7:06 PM

As usual a non-topic related spat breaks out between a typical Steelers fan who lacks NFL current knowledge and an over-bragging Ravens fan !@?*

Anyway…. The Jaguars have a very solid stable of WRs and “Offensive Weapons”, excellent RBs and a decent OLine, the issue is no QBs at all ( apologies to @thegreatgabbert), but I am not a fan of the Jags and still setting the record straight with praise. This Team is a QB away from being 10-12 wins. Massequoi is a WR3 journeyman, but Spitz will find a home soon, lots of teams need veteran depth

25. tangysizzl says: Aug 19, 2013 10:46 PM

Can we please stop calling them the Jaguars, they are now officially to be known as the Shaguars…yeah baby!.