Jaguars release Mohamed Massaquoi, Jason Spitz

AP

As the preseason starts to wind down, more and more notable names will be pared from rosters.

The Jaguars released two players with multiple years of NFL starting experience on Monday, letting go of wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and offensive lineman Jason Spitz, John Oehser of Jaguars.com reported.

Massaquoi, 26, signed with the Jaguars in the spring after four seasons with the Browns. He started 43 games for Cleveland, catching 118 passes for 1,745 yards and seven touchdowns.

The 30-year-old Spitz has 45 career starts, all with the Packers, for whom he played from 2006 through 2010. Spitz appeared in 10 games as a reserve for Jacksonville in 2011. He missed the 2012 season with a foot injury.

25 responses to “Jaguars release Mohamed Massaquoi, Jason Spitz

1. As a Raider fan I could be completely off base but I’m really surprised about Massaquoi’s career. I saw him in the preseason when he was a rookie on a few games and thought he was a bright spot. But the same could be said about Chaz Schilens. Preseason superstar, not much after that.

2. I’m still wondering how massaquoi made it this long in the NFL … I’m still trying to recover from watching the Browns waste two 2nd round picks in the same draft on MM and Brian Robiskie.

3. brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–
    A chimp with a handful of darts and draft board couldn’t have come up with a worse overall draft the the Browns did that year.

4. brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:08 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.

5. Steeley McBeam says: Massaquoi would be a starter in Baltimore haha!

Well ass clown, I guess he would have a ring if that was the case.

Are there no speeding cars for you to play with?

6. bettis3636 says:Aug 19, 2013 3:16 PMummmmm… the Jags have a receiver better then Massaquoi on their roster???.. news to me.. Isnt Blackmon suspended for 4 gomes?…
    ————————————————————-

You don’t have too much football knowledge, do you?

7. jackblackshairyback says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:34 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:08 PM
    brownsfanincali says:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM
    ————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.

—————————-
    That’s true, Jack, my bad…. Also, accidentally hit the ” submit ” button on my phone before I was finished with the first post, I’m not usually a self-quoter.

8. I’m still wondering how massaquoi made it this long in the NFL … I’m still trying to recover from watching the Browns waste two 2nd round picks in the same draft on MM and Brian Robiskie.
    ————————————————————–

———————————————-

Now now, they did get Alex Mack out of that draft, Mr. Self Quoter.
    —-

Mack in the first round, and only Mack. First round should be a gimme. But blowing THREE second round picks on Mo Mass, Robiskie, and David Veikune? Mangini’s unforgivable sin. And the rest of the draft? None of the rest are with the Browns any more. The ones that are still in the league are with such fine teams as the Raiders.

9. As usual a non-topic related spat breaks out between a typical Steelers fan who lacks NFL current knowledge and an over-bragging Ravens fan !@?*

Anyway…. The Jaguars have a very solid stable of WRs and “Offensive Weapons”, excellent RBs and a decent OLine, the issue is no QBs at all ( apologies to @thegreatgabbert), but I am not a fan of the Jags and still setting the record straight with praise. This Team is a QB away from being 10-12 wins. Massequoi is a WR3 journeyman, but Spitz will find a home soon, lots of teams need veteran depth

10. Can we please stop calling them the Jaguars, they are now officially to be known as the Shaguars…yeah baby!.