Six-game suspension suggests multiple violations for Von Miller

Von Miller AP

On the Von Miller suspension front, the news is even worse than expected for the Denver Broncos, as Miller appears to be facing a six-game suspension, rather than the four-game suspension that was reported last month.

The news also suggests that Miller and the league are engaged in a negotiation to find some middle ground between the ordinary substance-abuse suspensions of four games (for a first suspension) or a full year (for a second suspension). If the NFL intends to suspend Miller for more than four games, then the NFL must be contending that Miller did something more than just the violation that triggered the initial reports of a four-game suspension.

Previous reports indicated that Miller was in the process of appealing the ordinary four-game suspension, but according to Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Miller is actually probably going to be suspended for at least six games.

So why would the previously reported four-game suspension now be bumped up to six games? One possibility is that there has been some other violation since word leaked out last month about Miller facing a four-game suspension.

Another possibility is that Miller’s violations were an attempt to cheat the league’s drug-testing system. For instance, Miller’s former teammate D.J. Williams was suspended six games last year after the league said he twice provided a substance other than human urine for his drug tests, then was seen attempting to pour something from a bottle hidden in his waist band into his urine sample. A report surfaced in late July that Miller had never actually tested positive for anything, but as Williams found out, you can be suspended for six games without testing positive for anything if the league thinks you tried to cheat the system.

Word surfaced last week that Miller had been arrested, but it seems highly unlikely that the suspension has anything to do with that: Miller’s arrest was for a failure to appear in court on a traffic violation, and that’s not the type of thing that gets players suspended for a first offense of the personal-conduct policy.

The NFL and Miller have been mum about what Miller actually did to violate the league’s substance-abuse policy. But it appears that the NFL is accusing Miller of going beyond the ordinary substance-abuse violations that typically trigger a four-game suspension.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Six-game suspension suggests multiple violations for Von Miller”
  1. ctattles says: Aug 19, 2013 12:04 PM

He is the next O.J. Simpson.

2. rc33 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Middle ground my butt; why should the league have to settle for any kind of “middle ground” agreement if they’ve got the goods on this guy?
    I recommend a 211 game suspension.
    Just like ARod.

3. sdisme says: Aug 19, 2013 12:08 PM

Next thing you know he will be retired, studying holistic medicine, at the California College of Ayurveda.

4. jwil007 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:09 PM

something aint right…..

5. willbrownimaging says: Aug 19, 2013 12:10 PM

If the pass rush can’t get to Flacco, he’ll light you up, no matter how old and/or crappy his targets are (excluding Smith and Rice).

6. blacknole08 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:12 PM

Maybe he tampered with the urine samples that he provided to the league? The whizzinator somehow comes to mind here.

7. iamhoraceknight says: Aug 19, 2013 12:12 PM

There are too many unknowns. There is too much secrecy regarding the CBA. Did he test positive or not? Did he miss a test?

All this does is allowed the ” Know it Alls” to speculate and leave ridiculous comments.

Tell us what exactly happened?

8. jtbaudendistel says: Aug 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Dub step

9. justsomerandomguy24 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:14 PM

I was gonna appear in court… but I got high. Now I’m sitting out, and I know why! Hey hey! Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high.

10. tindeaux says: Aug 19, 2013 12:15 PM

what? are you serious? there’s more on these doping for Miller?

11. EJ says: Aug 19, 2013 12:17 PM

I’m glad that Denver chose Von Miller over Marcell Dareus. If they hadn’t, then he would have fallen to Buffalo. Yes, great player, but massive baggage. A player is not worth much if he can’t make it on the field.

12. wjarvis says: Aug 19, 2013 12:18 PM

“The NFL and Miller have been mum about what Miller actually did to violate the league’s substance-abuse policy.”

Well considering the entire process is supposed to confidential, isn’t that what both parties should be doing.

13. marcuswelby1 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:20 PM

why would the league be negotiating anything with Miller?
    Just dole out the penalty!

14. gridassassin says: Aug 19, 2013 12:24 PM

15. nananatman says: Aug 19, 2013 12:27 PM

I dunno he was facing four games before he got arrested for giving the American justice system the finger so maybe they tacked on 2 games for not straightening out while on appeal.

16. ravensruleandharbaughisgod says: Aug 19, 2013 12:29 PM

The Broncos are the team that keeps on giving. The Ravens and Elvis D. thank you.

17. denverwally says: Aug 19, 2013 12:29 PM

I heard Ryan Braun tampered with Von’s sample.

18. nananatman says: Aug 19, 2013 12:30 PM

He hired me to pee for him but at 137 and Caucasian they just weren’t buying it. I tried hard too, dark glasses and a mustache but those guys were sharp.

19. thetwilightsown says: Aug 19, 2013 12:33 PM

He’s a Denver Bronco – this is all some sort of misunderstanding.

20. ill42 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:36 PM

“Champ Bailey hurt, Welker ailing, Elvis gone because of paperwork – and now this.

I sure hope Peyton Manning’s arm is ready, he’s gonna be coming from behind in a boatload of games this season.”

They’ll still sweep their division and win 11+ games

21. broncsfan72 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:42 PM

just gotta roll on. The Ravens sucked it up last year until the last half. they got healthy and hot. Hoisted that Lombardi in the end. Its any teams season. Von is stupid for risking it. If he messed up he’ll pay for it. So will I..lol..But the season is long and we have a great offense.

22. misterpigglesworth says: Aug 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Remind anyone of the career path of Shawn Merriman?? Lights out Denver!

23. allhailkingflacco says: Aug 19, 2013 12:45 PM

R Goodell: Von, the good news is that you passed your drug test. The bad news, according to this, you’re pregnant.

V Miller: Uh, ok, thanks Roger..

R Goodell: Von, get back in here. I may be dumb but I’m not stupid. Take 6 and call me in late October.

24. Insomniac says: Aug 19, 2013 12:46 PM

Why isn’t anything besides a negative test treated as a failure. If you try and cheat or circumvent the test, it should be an automatic failure. If he did that twice, they should suspend him for 20 games.

25. raqaiw says: Aug 19, 2013 12:49 PM

broncsfan72 says:Aug 19, 2013 12:42 PM

__________________________________
    The Ravens faltered in the second half of last season, not the first. They went into their bye week 6-2.The defense gave up late leads against Pittsburgh and the Slurskins at the end of the season when they lost 4 of their last 5 games.

26. patriots123456 says: Aug 19, 2013 12:50 PM

Hey, if several of the front office were arrested for DUIs, whats a few Doobies among the players?

27. pcoisma says: Aug 19, 2013 12:58 PM

The more vehemently a player argues the suspension the more convinced I’m he is lying like a rug. Thanks Braun(MLB) and Armstong(A Freaking bike pedelar).

28. joetoronto says: Aug 19, 2013 12:58 PM

The Donkeys are disgusting, they’re almost as bad as the Bungals.

Have another drink, John.

29. trollaikman8 says: Aug 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Well at least they still got Dumerville.

30. footballradioshow says: Aug 19, 2013 1:07 PM

This is obviously more serious than we thought.
    2, 4, or 6 games could certainly negatively impact the Broncos season. But this would appear to mean that Miller is 1 misstep away from a full year suspension, and that is a huge problem for him and the Broncos.

31. truthfactory says: Aug 19, 2013 1:08 PM

Hey Von, there is a coach up in NE that can help you get away w/ cheating….

32. NotoriousKDV says: Aug 19, 2013 1:21 PM

Is it too late to trade Peyton for whatever you can get, tank the season and if Brock’s not the future then draft a QB next year?

I mean it seems to me like Denver’s doing everything they can to waste what’s left of Peyton’s career. After the epic failure last year, I don’t see him getting that close to another SB again. Especially not this year with all of the stuff that’s happened. Injuries, suspensions, the Dumerville fiasco.

Better to start the rebuilding now when next year’s QB class is good, rather than keep going one and done in the playoffs for a few years then bottoming out when Peyton retires and hope that the next QB is any good.

33. doe22us says: Aug 19, 2013 1:21 PM

He prefers Molly not that weed stuff, anyway i am sure some Bronco fans are still convinced that this suspension wont happen. Its happening alright just have to come to terms with it.

34. granadafan says: Aug 19, 2013 1:22 PM

After Ryan Braun and Lance Armstrong, no player/agent vehement denial can be trusted. I also laugh that Miller tried to appeal the 4 games but got more. That’s the way it should be. You get caught cheating, take it like a man. If you appeal and lie again, you get more. That’s why baseball should give A-Roid an additional 2 years after the appeal. What a crock that he’s still allowed to play.

35. kindbass says: Aug 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Shame, I thought he was going to be a really good player. He’ll probably just be Shawne Merriman 2.0

36. malibudave66 says: Aug 19, 2013 1:38 PM

Boy my buddy John must pulling his hair out which he can’t loose!!! Now he understands what Mr Davis went through! Got to be tuff!!! Let him fulfill his suspension and move til Raiders come to town!

37. armoderate says: Aug 19, 2013 1:39 PM

I guess Elway didn’t hit a home run after all in his first draft. Perhaps his Scouting Department buddies were out drinking with Miller and didn’t bother to do a thorough investigation of Miller’s college partying record.

38. doe22us says: Aug 19, 2013 1:41 PM

kindbass says:
    Aug 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Merriman was just a roided up meat head.. von-is just a druggie pothead that is all.

39. goldrush4949 says: Aug 19, 2013 1:42 PM

I said long before training camps started that Denver would be one of this season’s disappointments. With Miller’s suspension and the injury to Champ Bailey does anyone want to doubt me?

40. chrisbermanpleasegoaway says: Aug 19, 2013 1:49 PM

I hope this means he can stop wearing the “look at me I’m intelligent” glasses.

41. jnbnet says: Aug 19, 2013 2:04 PM

Not a Denver fan, but give the guy a break. He has to face his suspension and hopefully learn from it. Every team (including mine) has players who screw up. Let them move on wait to see if they are repeat offenders before your crucify them.

42. apkyletexas says: Aug 19, 2013 2:09 PM

This was the team that was going to win multiple Super Bowls because they were going to put Peyton Manning together on a defensive loaded team with Dumervil and Miller.

Guess you can throw that idea out the window.

Nice job Elway. Might as well hit the mini-bar with your friends in the executive suite. It’s probably going to be a long year.

43. baddegg says: Aug 19, 2013 2:15 PM

Why should the league negotiate terms with him? That one guy on the Redskins got 4 games for taking an over the counter supplement from GNC, because it wasn’t on the NFL’s “pre-approved” list and it gave him a reading.

So Miller will get only 2 more games for willingly try to cheat vs. guys who just “make a mistake.”

I thought Goddell was supposed to be some sort of hard-a$$ cop. Hard only with some people I guess…

44. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 19, 2013 2:19 PM

The chickens just did a face palm and furrowed their eyebrows. “Oh, no, now he’s going to be hanging around here for the next three months, prodding and poking us.”.

45. thegronk87 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:29 PM

Broncos lost dumerville, now their best defensive player is a certified cheater. Without roids, von miller won’t be the same presence on the field. Denver really has no defense next year. Darn fax machine.

Baltimore and NE are the teams to beat in the AFC.

46. chiadam says: Aug 19, 2013 2:36 PM

Let me get a little bit for my cataracts.

47. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 19, 2013 2:37 PM

Feel bad for Denver fans. They were so classy prior to the Divisional playoff.

48. mclovin07 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:40 PM

Anyone else sick of these guys cheating constantly?? Put a lifetime ban of it, and that would solve 99.9% of the problem…

49. billhicks666 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:42 PM

Von Miller: not the sharpest knife in the drawer. What do you expect from someone who went to Texas A&M?

50. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Aug 19, 2013 2:45 PM

EJ says: Aug 19, 2013 12:17 PM

———————————-
    I’m glad about that too. Because Dareus sucks.

51. billhicks666 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:45 PM

thegronk87 says:

“…Baltimore and NE are the teams to beat in the AFC.”

LOL You keep telling yourself that, Skippy, and maybe eventually you’ll actually believe it!

52. briang123 says: Aug 19, 2013 2:57 PM

Von Miller is a victim of a sample collector that is a Raiders fan. Signed, Ryan Braun

53. slugdub says: Aug 19, 2013 2:58 PM

Loser player on a loser franchise. The perfect match

54. broncsfan72 says: Aug 19, 2013 3:02 PM

I stand corrected. The point is that it’s anyone’s season. The question is whose? I still like Denver’s chances. Its three weeks from the opener so there’s healing time. If Von gets suspended it will suck but theres some superstars waiting to make their mark. Its a seventeen week season. It’s ok!!!

55. patriots420 says: Aug 19, 2013 3:05 PM

We will see how the bronco experiment will work out over the long run. I think the Dumerville fax snafu will hurt more than everyone wants to admit. I also think the cap strapped Ravens will regret signing him also in 2-3 years especially when Torrey Smith comes calling for his next deal which is not going to be cheap.

I understand trying to frantically load your team for Mannings twilight years, but now with no Von, Elvis and an aging and clearly showing age Champ Bailey and depending on Wes at 32 could get ugly quick

56. richeisennflnetwork says: Aug 19, 2013 3:14 PM

Maybe he got caught using the wizinator?

57. otis52gsh says: Aug 19, 2013 3:30 PM

CHEATER

58. lflib69 says: Aug 19, 2013 3:34 PM

truthfactory says: Aug 19, 2013 1:08 PM

Hey Von, there is a coach up in NE that can help you get away w/ cheating

Leave it to a two year old to bring the Patriots into an unrelated story. SMH Kids these days

59. praetorian12 says: Aug 19, 2013 4:18 PM

Hey, Von remains innocent until proven…. (Ahem)… ah, nevermind. I couldn’t get that out with a straight face.

60. listenup823 says: Aug 19, 2013 4:53 PM

Why does everyone here think that Von Miller is the only reason the Broncos went 13-3 last year? Why do they think that Dumervil was the only one that tackled anybody last year? He was non-existent in the playoff loss last year.. Denver will win with our without Miller and Dumervil in the lineup this year… I see a couple of beasts in Inhenacho and Nate Irving.. They will step it up until Miller returns.. In the meantime.. Peyton will be making other teams play catch up every game.. Oh.. And Joetoronto can K my A…

61. agc99 says: Aug 19, 2013 7:39 PM

He might be another Shawn Merriman. No PEDs No sacks.

62. shovelhunter says: Aug 19, 2013 8:03 PM

Merriman was kind of obvious, but miller really fooled me I thought this young man could really play. Shame. He was the only person I seen beat Kevin zeitler for a sack last year. But now I feel better about my teams right guard. The only man to beat him was a CHEATER!

63. allday420ap says: Aug 19, 2013 8:24 PM

legaliz eweed

64. raiderapologist says: Aug 19, 2013 8:50 PM

Fetushead must be wondering how he got himself involved with such a bunch of drunks and druggies, while still being relieved that he didn’t choose Kansas City.