Akers: “Charlie Brown” injury derailed 2012

San Francisco 49ers kicker Akers lies on the turf after a late hit by Baltimore Ravens Brown in the NFL Super Bowl XLVII football game in New Orleans Reuters

More than once last year, veteran kicker David Akers had 49ers fans saying “Good grief.”

But the now-Lions kicker said part of the reason for his inaccuracy was a Peanuts-style injury that happened during a rainy practice early last season.

“I fell at practice on a kickoff,” Akers said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “It was pouring down rain in San Fran and we had new turf, and I did a full-on Charlie Brown. So I swung through, I was feeling great, and like I came back, landed on my shoulder, leg smacked my face mask, was kind of jarred. And I felt OK that day and then just the next day kind of built up.

“You lean on the doctors, you lean on the training staff, and the way I look at it is you just keep climbing, you take each and every day, feel comfortable each game trying more and more different things. Ultimately, it comes down if I’m the guy they want to have here, I’d love to be here and I’m trying to do the best I can for these guys.”

Akers is competing with trick-shot artist Havard Rugland in Detroit, and after a pair of offseason surgeries, looks solid. He was 5-of-5 in practice Monday, hitting from 54 and 63 yards.

If he can stay that consistent, he’ll provide quite a security blanket for the Lions this year.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
19 Responses to “Akers: “Charlie Brown” injury derailed 2012”
  1. unbiasfan says: Aug 20, 2013 3:06 PM

David Akers on a wheelchair with no legs is still a better kicker than Mason Crosby

2. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 20, 2013 3:07 PM

He’s a loser just like Jim Fraudbaugh.

3. purpleguy says: Aug 20, 2013 3:09 PM

Wait, he fell on a practice kick and that ruined his season? Geez, I hope he doesn’t get a paper cut on his tongue licking an envelope — they may have to put him on IR.

4. thirtyrackdash says: Aug 20, 2013 3:24 PM

If you haven’t seen clips of Harvard Rugland, they are worth a watch. Might not be practical for the NFl but the dude has skills.

5. greetingsfromminnesota says: Aug 20, 2013 3:28 PM

Who is this Jim Fraudbaugh? He sure has an unfortunate last name.

6. pesotmato says: Aug 20, 2013 3:52 PM

To aaroncurryisbust says:
    Aug 20, 2013 3:07 PM
    “He’s a loser just like Jim Fraudbaugh.”

You can call Jim Harbaugh whatever you want to call, yet he is still one the best coaches in the NFL. This is a fact.

7. mn1288 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:58 PM

Unbias Fan – Are the Packers giving you a complex? Sure find a way to try and trash the reigning NFC North Champs every chance you get. Read an article in the Star Trib not too long ago about the struggles your own kicker is having in camp (As well as your QB – The most important player on the field)…Just sayin’.

8. nananatman says: Aug 20, 2013 3:58 PM

63 yards! That’s like a yard per year in the league. If you think you have a bad kicker than please Google “Matt Dodge.”

9. squared80 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:59 PM

Kickalicious!

10. mwitt5148 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:17 PM

David Akers is a class act. We still love you in Philly Dave. Best kicker in franchise history. All time leading scorer.

11. kd75 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:24 PM

I always hated it when Lucy did that…

12. ninerfan94954 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:52 PM

Before his injury Akers was a solid,solid kicker and a real pro with the press. Good move by the Lions if he is healthy.

13. donmega72 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:53 PM

Good thing Akers wasn’t playing for the Cowboys. Tony Romo is the Dallas’ version of Lucy van Pelt.

14. emoney826 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:07 PM

@unbiasfan,

Why are you SO OBSESSED with the packers?! This article has NOTHING to do with Green Bay, yet, you feel compelled to say something relating to them. Do you dream about the packers at night? Do you wake up in the morning and daydream about the packers as you’re eating your fruit loops? Stop worrying so much about the team you can’t knock off. The packers currently have trouble knocking off the 9ers, but I don’t think about them 24 hours/day. I have a life and I really recommend you try to find one.

15. shibengal says: Aug 20, 2013 6:20 PM

I’d like to wish Akers the best of luck this season…he’s definitely my favorite kicker of all time. Any kicker who starts a fight with the opposing team during pre-game warmups is OK in my book.

16. hendeeze says: Aug 20, 2013 7:13 PM

I hope Akers does well this season. Although he was directly responsible for raising my blood pressure, and conditioning a cringe response whenever he lined up for a kick last year. I won’t forget what he ment to the club the year prior. Hope he does well and is fully recovered from his injury

17. jimmylions says: Aug 20, 2013 7:20 PM

All signs point to Rugland being let go. Punter Sam Martin will be doing the kickoffs.

I hope they find a way to keep Kickalicious around Detroit. He’s got great potential.

18. uplate5301 says: Aug 20, 2013 8:57 PM

Akers was outstanding in 2011, and started 2012 just as well. Then suddenly went south. I give him credit for taking the heat for his drop-off and not whining about the injury and making excuses, though he put the thrill back in the extra point. Class act. I wish him well.

19. jayesix says: Aug 20, 2013 11:59 PM

“Security blanket.” i see what you did there.