Alex Smith on A.J. Jenkins: I think the change will do him some good

A.J. Jenkins, Duke Ihenacho, Robert Ayers AP

The Chiefs did more than exchange disappointing former first-round wide receivers when they dealt Jon Baldwin to the 49ers for A.J. Jenkins.

They also reunited Jenkins with quarterback Alex Smith, who was acquired in another trade with the 49ers early in the offseason. As a result, Smith’s got more insight into Jenkins’ game than most members of the Chiefs organization and he said Tuesday that he thinks the fresh start in Kansas City will be a good thing for the wideout after not getting much of a chance in San Francisco.

“That’s a veteran team with a lot of pieces in place,” Smith said, via the team’s website. “So it wasn’t his job from the jump. He came in and had to battle for it. I could say, I think it was a deeper roster there. For whatever reason, it didn’t work out. He’s got a ton of talent, a lot of speed, so I think the change is doing some good.”

That’s a more positive review of Jenkins’ game than we heard from tight end Vernon Davis, although you’d expect that kind of dichotomy given Smith has more to gain from Jenkins finding a way to succeed at the NFL level. He’ll get a chance to do that in K.C., but there might not be many more if a change of scenery doesn’t do the trick.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Alex Smith on A.J. Jenkins: I think the change will do him some good”
  1. unbiasfan says: Aug 20, 2013 5:19 PM

But A.J. Jenkins rock hands and terrible route running smarts still won’t do him any good..

2. doall24 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:20 PM

chiefs will win 6 games now.

3. ingraven says: Aug 20, 2013 5:22 PM

The change will do them BOTH some good. Gives them both a FAIR shot….especially Alex.

4. Iknoweverything says: Aug 20, 2013 5:27 PM

Jenkins will thrive in Andy’s system just like Alex will. Baldwin is a bust that John Dorsey unloaded onto Seattles stepchild. The Chiefs clearly swindled the Whiners in this deal. While KC wins the AFC West, Seattle will run away with the other West.

I can hear the Whining from the Bay area slime pits…..”We should have kept Alex instead” and ” I wish we had Pete Carroll as coach”

5. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 20, 2013 5:34 PM

Don’t get it twisted, this is a lose-lose trade for both teams. Also, Jim Harbaugh is a complete fraud. Outside of Kaepernick (jury’s still out) and Aldon (worthless without Justin Smith cheating), he inherited practically the entire team.

6. braceyourselffor12 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:38 PM

I hope so for both of them. As a Niner fan I wish Alex the best of luck and as for A.J I hope this lights the fire under him to get his game going. I see K.C as a suprise playoff team.

7. 49erstim says: Aug 20, 2013 5:39 PM

@iknoweverything…. your shtick worked better when you were proclaiming RG3 to be GOD. KC fans don’t sound like you. If anything they’re very self deprecating, fun and loyal fans. Be ashamed of yourself.

8. braceyourselffor12 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:45 PM

@ aaroncurryisthebestseattleeverhad

So Navarro Bowman, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Bruce Miller and Chris Culliver just fell in their lap. DOLT.

And if anyone is a fraud it’s that overrated group of juicers up North that will fall back down to Earth like a meteor this year while the entire League laughs at your hubris.

9. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:55 PM

I think Andy Reid utilizes and develops WRs better than Harbaugh. I wouldn’t be surprised if AJ’s star rises in KC.

10. 49ermbr says: Aug 20, 2013 6:00 PM

CUE Seahawk fans trolling whenever they see 49ers news article. Same old story…pathetic fans.

11. fumblenuts says: Aug 20, 2013 6:03 PM

A.J. Jenkins and QB Alex Smith should put a lot of time in together before and after practice to get the timing down together……….

12. searchthedeep says: Aug 20, 2013 6:03 PM

I Don’t know much about Jenkins play but I know he fits Big Reds system better than Baldwin, who seemed like he was out of place from the moment Reid came to KC. Baldwins problem is not just dropping passes, but getting open period.
    Maybe he’ll be a better fit in San Fran, but I’m sure he wasn’t a good fit in KC. Jenkins is more the outside speed guy that Reid wants, and if he can just get open on a fly route he’ll be an upgrade.

13. jayniner says: Aug 20, 2013 6:13 PM

Is it just me or does KC love 49er hand-me-downs?

14. thestillcity says: Aug 20, 2013 6:41 PM

Jenkins wouldn’t be the first young player who couldn’t gain traction on a championship contending team; in fact, SF will likely be cutting half it’s draft class in a couple of weeks here.

The trade was made for money reasons. Jenkins would have counted against the cap as dead money for years to come, while Baldwin, who is going to have a really hard time sticking too, will not count past this year.

15. bobhk says: Aug 20, 2013 6:57 PM

Iknoweverything says:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:27 PM

———-
    Seattle has a pro sports team??? Oh, the CFL team!!
    I get it…

16. jimmylions says: Aug 20, 2013 7:07 PM

Here’s to hoping it works out well for both of them. Anybody who’s cheering for either to fail has never worked for a living.

17. bobhk says: Aug 20, 2013 7:27 PM

@jimmylions says:
    Aug 20, 2013 7:07 PM
    ———-
    For once, I agree with you. :)

18. alldonesmith says: Aug 20, 2013 8:39 PM

I’m not so sure Alex’s take on AJ Jenkins is more positive than Vernon’s.

“So it wasn’t his job from the jump. He came in and had to battle for it.”

Competition should elevate a pro athlete’s game, not hinder it. Very few jobs in the NFL outside of the QB position are ever just handed to someone. Only time will tell who got the better end of this trade, but as a 49er fan I feel Chiefs fans should know that Jenkins was gift-wrapped EVERY opportunity to win a starting job this offseason and crashed and burned in spectacular fashion.

19. azjahwkr says: Aug 20, 2013 8:41 PM

jayniner says:
    Aug 20, 2013 6:13 PM
    Is it just me or does KC love 49er hand-me-downs?
    —————————————————-

seems to me the 49er’s got 2 Chief hand -me -downs…Glen Dorsey and Baldwin

20. crooner73 says: Aug 20, 2013 10:52 PM

Good riddance.What were those guys doing for the Chiefs?Who cares what they got in return.

21. crooner73 says: Aug 20, 2013 10:58 PM

Chiefs dumped their garbage on the 49er’s doorstep.

22. crooner73 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:17 PM

49er’stim you are right about Chiefs fans being friendly but we are as avid as it gets and we won this one.you aint gonna like those guys.

23. willtalk65 says: Aug 21, 2013 1:07 AM

AJ main problem is that he has a very low strength to weight ratio. Meaning he is far weaker than he looks and will not get any stronger no matter how much weight he pumps. He will never be a receiver that can break a press, but if he is put in the slot he might get his confidence back and give you some production. He just needs to break free from the line and then he can run good routes.

They 49ers drafted him to be an edge receiver something he was incapable of achieving, so it affected his confidence. In the slot position with out that pressure he might have a chance to succeed.

24. forever9ers says: Aug 21, 2013 4:53 AM

Jenkins has good speed and Baldwin has good size. Jenkins needs to be force-fed passes to build up his confidence and Baldwin just needs to focus on catching balls coming his way.

25. alexsmithpwnswhinners says: Aug 21, 2013 10:55 AM

LOL “Jim Harbaugh on Sunday said that Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore occupy the first three spots.” if you have Kyle Williams even as your 3rd WR still, in the 3rd season of your current regime (coaches and FO), you have got some serious issues in your WR crop… He should have been gone last season already, yet he’s still here and has a chance to make the team…
    I’m not even going to sugar coat this, the 49ers will not win the SB, until Kyle Williams is no longer on the team. Bet on it. That’s what happened last year, lack of a strong WR crop. And worse the year before.
    And you are still in the same situation this year? Furthermore you failed and desperately traded your 2012 1st round pick WR in the middle of preseason??? LOL…! What a joke.

26. alexsmithpwnswhinners says: Aug 21, 2013 10:56 AM

With this AJ for Baldwin trade, the 9er FO and Harb basically show and folded their cards even before the regular season has even started. Now every other team they will faced in the regular season already knows, they have NO WRs, except Boldin. They are just going to double team Boldin and rush Kap. The other WRs will not produce. Too easy.
    They showed and folded their cards before the season even started rofl!!! There will be some tough times ahead for kap this season…