Browns name Brandon Weeden their starting quarterback

Cleveland Browns v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski has finally stopped delaying and made the widely expected announcement: Brandon Weeden is his starting quarterback.

“Brandon has earned this job. That’s extremely important to me. He’s gained my and his teammates complete trust,” Chudzinski said, via Steve Doerschuk ‏of the Canton Repository.

The biggest question is why Chudzinski waited so long to confirm that Weeden would start ahead of Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer. Chudzinski said today that part of it was he wanted to gauge what kind of competitor Weeden is.

“Everything about this process is wanting to see how [Weeden] reacted,” Chudzinski said. “Weeden has seized the opportunity and produced.”

Weeden has played very well this preseason, completing 18 of 25 passes for 229 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Browns name Brandon Weeden their starting quarterback”
  1. 12444uggg says: Aug 20, 2013 11:06 AM

Oh boy!

2. annapterp says: Aug 20, 2013 11:06 AM

Don’t follow the browns at all, but was this really even a competition?

3. hakunamangata says: Aug 20, 2013 11:08 AM

Chudzinski later went on to say that Joe Thomas was his starting LT, Trent Richardson his starting RB and the sky, in fact, was blue.

4. ifyousmellwhatthe3rdiscooking says: Aug 20, 2013 11:08 AM

Then of course this is the preseason …..

5. seauxwhut67 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:09 AM

Crowd yells, “Meh”.

6. randyschwimmer7 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:11 AM

We officially have the SHOCKER of the day…..SIKE!

7. scrp2 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:13 AM

Norval!

8. wwwfella says: Aug 20, 2013 11:13 AM

im stunned

9. twilson962 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:13 AM

No brainer.

10. phillyphan975 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:20 AM

and Vick has just been named the starter for the Eagles… BOOOSSS all around

11. onlythebest36 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:20 AM

I like this kid. Hope he has a good season.

12. christophershearin says: Aug 20, 2013 11:20 AM

Chud also announced the browns do in fact play football, regardless of what it looks like, he wants to assure the fans they are actually playing football

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 11:21 AM

Don’t stop B. Weeden!

14. thetooloftools says: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 AM

about time.

15. bestbitter says: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 AM

“Browns announce 7 wins will be considered post-season parade worthy”

16. barkymingo says: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 AM

Mind = Blown

17. vicnocal says: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 AM

“Cause I’m just a Cleveland dirtbag, baby.” – Brandon Weedus

18. blantoncollier says: Aug 20, 2013 11:26 AM

And in other news–Mike Lombardi will be leaking that Brian Hoyer is really still in the mix.

19. audient says: Aug 20, 2013 11:27 AM

But have they named an official starting streaker?

20. realfootballfan says: Aug 20, 2013 11:28 AM

Just like Vick in Philly, I’m shocked.

21. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 20, 2013 11:29 AM

Like it matters. Top 10 draft pick next year for Cleveland again. This time maybe they will draft a quarterback under the age of 29.

22. breakingb says: Aug 20, 2013 11:29 AM

It’ll be announced later today Drew Brees will be the starter for the Saints.

23. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Immediately after, TP and Shamarko renegotiated their contracts to include incentives for interceptions.

24. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Aug 20, 2013 11:31 AM

I’m a life-long Browns fan and I’m more excited this year for the team than I can remember (I was 4 the last time they were in an AFC championship game).

Weeden is showing off his arm in the preseason and I’m looking forward to seeing more of that in the regular season!

GO BROWNS!!!

25. alexdane436 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:33 AM

The Denver Broncos name Payton Manning their starting QB.

26. iamthefootballjerk says: Aug 20, 2013 11:34 AM

Brown’s starting QB, AKA, AFC North tackling dummy. Congrats!

27. vegasdogg says: Aug 20, 2013 11:36 AM

People who are thinking these are the ‘same ‘ol Browns’ are going to be a little bit surprised. Of course we as fans have to take the smack talk because nothing has been accomplished yet.

But we have two really decent coordinators for the first time since our return, and a HC who isn’t afraid of letting them do their job.

Weeden may turn out to be a huge surprise to everyone this season. I don’t think people are paying attention to what is happening with this team since March.

No predictions from me, but just remember we told you so back in August.

28. eatitfanboy says: Aug 20, 2013 11:39 AM

The Browns are getting extremely heavy play on the over in Vegas from the sharps (professional gamblers), more so than any other team. The number is 6. I think I agree with them.

They have two of the best coordinators in the league and their first unit has looked sharp. I could easily see them winning 8-9 games this year.

29. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:50 AM

@80sbroncosfan

Why don’t you worry about getting your entire organization sober, then maybe they will be able to work the fax machine properly.

Browns are finally gonna shut some people up this year. I look forward to it.

Some people are just flapping their lips when they really aren’t paying attention to what’s going on. Don’t pretend like you know what going on with this team, so don’t bother flapping your lips.

30. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 20, 2013 11:51 AM

Having watched Campbell closely in Oakland, I suspect Popeye could beat him out in a fair competition.

31. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:52 AM

Eatitfanboy,

As much as I want to agree with you, a team can’t go 8-9 haha.

But 8-8 is certainly possible.

32. eatitfanboy says: Aug 20, 2013 11:59 AM

clebrowns216 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:52 AM
    Eatitfanboy,

As much as I want to agree with you, a team can’t go 8-9 haha.

But 8-8 is certainly possible.

Yeah, that’s why I said “I could see them WINNING 8-9 games this year”, not going 8-9 for the season.

33. bigtime1957 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:02 PM

I’m very very surprised, I have to admit, Because since haslam Bought them with stolen money all I have seen has been the scowl From some old fart saying he is the leader of the Browns, I thought he was our starting Qb, I think his name was like josh band or something like that, who new?

34. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:03 PM

Yeah I got that right after I responded. My bad

35. eatitfanboy says: Aug 20, 2013 12:09 PM

clebrowns216 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 12:03 PM
    Yeah I got that right after I responded. My bad

No problem, bro. Just wanted to point it out so nobody else will think I didn’t know how long an NFL season was. :-)

36. steelerben says: Aug 20, 2013 12:13 PM

hakunamangata says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:08 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He is, however, holding off on declaring water to be wet until he sees a little bit more from it.

37. rutchaser says: Aug 20, 2013 12:26 PM

I hope he doesnt get caught under that gigantic flag again.

38. alphaq2 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:48 PM

As a Skins fan, trust me Browns fans, be happy that Captain Checkdown Jason Cambell is not your starting QB. Nice guy and a class act, but crazy long delivery and dinks and dunks all day long.

39. lingsun54 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:51 PM

The real issue is Chud claiming there was a QB competition when there wasn’t. He also had people leak the story that Weeden wasn’t their guy and they were going to look for a better guy in the draft. Hey, why not just castrate him while you’re at it???

40. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 20, 2013 12:54 PM

Browns fans are the most sensitive fan base. I guess they should be. After losing Lebron James, Bill Belechek, Ozzie Newsome, and the Browns organization the first time who are now the Ravens. Then seeing them all win championships after leaving Cleveland. That must really hurt.

41. ctsegall says: Aug 20, 2013 12:56 PM

“Eatitfanboy,

As much as I want to agree with you, a team can’t go 8-9 haha.

But 8-8 is certainly possible.”

Actually, a team could go 8-9. They would finish the regular season 8-8, make the playoffs, and lose. They would, in fact, finish the season with a record of 8-9.

But, the original poster did say he could envision the Browns with 8-9 wins, and I think that is in the realm of possibility.

42. brownsclown says: Aug 20, 2013 12:57 PM

And in related news Tony Grossi has tweeted that he is still banned from the Plain Dealer Building and has yet to receive his invitation to Randy Lerner’s end of summer party.

43. gopokes0714 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:59 PM

I really don’t understand the Weeden hate from Browns fans. Do you really expect every rookie to instantly play like Peyton Manning?

All you need to do is watch the 2009 OSU vs Colorado game. Robinson was injured, the #2 QB hadn’t completed a pass, and Weeden comes in the the 2nd half and turns the lights out on Colorado.

Or you can watch the 2011 A&M game, or the 2011 Fiesta bowl.

He is a smart player, with very live arm. If the Browns can keep his jersey clean, he will be in the top passing. Especially running a system closer to what he ran in college.

44. hakunamangata says: Aug 20, 2013 1:03 PM

iamthefootballjerk says: Aug 20, 2013 11:34 AM

Brown’s starting QB, AKA, AFC North tackling dummy. Congrats!

Ummmmmm did you see the Steeler’s O line last night?

45. gopokes0714 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:06 PM

I will add the 2012 Texas Tech game where Weeden made throwing in 40+mph winds look like he was in a dome.

I realize he threw a few picks last year, but let’s be honest he had never played under center before. To get ready for NFL speed, and learn a whole different style is pretty tough. And he still came out with decent stats.

I would be surprised if his throws many picks this year in this system. In college most of his picks were caused by deflection and receiver error. His passes come in so hot, most CB’s and safeties aren’t used to it, and it was rare for an out right pick.

46. pmars64 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:11 PM

Browns also announce Joe Banner is changing his shade of hairpiece from black pearl to autumn breeze.

47. gopokes0714 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:15 PM

*2011 Tech game

@iamthe…*yawn*…thisguyknowsusernamesshouldn’tbesentences,right?

It won’t matter how good the line will be, because if it takes longer than 2 seconds to get to him, it’s too late.

48. godofwine330 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:23 PM

Browns fan since 1986 (born in 77 & my old man wasn’t a sports fan), I cannot wait to see them this season. I haven’t been this happy in a decade plus. I’d love to see playoffs for us. Hell, I’d love to see a worst to first ala the Rams in 1999. Not counting chickens, not betting money, just hopeful for the first time in forever. Even with the Derek Anderson led 2007 team he had me scared like watching Jose Mesa pitch that I never really got comfortable enough to be hopeful.

Maybe this time is different.

49. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:27 PM

80sBroncosFan,

Your comment couldn’t be more wrong.

People have been crapping on Cleveland forever, we had had some of the worst luck when it comes to sports, including everything you just listed. Yet Cleveland fans still come out to support and defend their teams every year. Doesn’t seem sensitive to me.

Cleveland fans are widely known as some of the best. Crapping on the Browns can certainly be justified, but trying to crap on the fans is just plain stupid…

But like your previous comment you don’t seem to know much about Cleveland or what’s going on here. You are just one of those people who blindly hates on Cleveland for absolutely no reason.

50. seauxwhut67 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Oh well.

Onward to your 78th offensive coordinator, young Jason.

51. agc99 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:39 PM

Weeden named the starter is English for it’s party time in Pittsburgh. This guy sucks.

52. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:46 PM

And last nights preseason game was party time for the entire AFC North. I mean your so called best offensive lineman, the dude who supports murderers, got absolutely annihilated.

Looks like another injury riddled season for Ben!

53. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Would have been a no brainer who the starting quarterback was if they didn’t fumble the RG3 trade or drafted Russel Wilson, or Kirk Cousins instead of Brandon Weeden.

54. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:54 PM

Or we could wait before writing someone off after 1 season…

Man some people just don’t know anything about football…

55. wildwalt7 says: Aug 20, 2013 2:16 PM

80sbronco fan ,you’d think you would have enough to worry about with your Broncos and their drunk front office can’t operate a fax machine personnel.Or your bong smoking linebacker,or your defensive backs who got toasted against Baltimore.Not to mention your thirty seven year old, windows closing on quarterback.Sure hope Elvis doesn’t light him up in that first game.

56. steelcurtainn says: Aug 20, 2013 2:39 PM

That’s two wins for the steelers!!!!

57. d10ballfan says: Aug 20, 2013 2:48 PM

After last nights performance steelcurtain, I would be quiet.

58. doe22us says: Aug 20, 2013 2:52 PM

It obviously was going to be Weeden all along. Has anyone seen J. Campbell play in recent memory.. go check Bears game tapes lmao.

59. urbusted2 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:36 PM

agc99 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 1:39 PM

We’ll see. As a life long Browns fan, I’ll look forward to watching the party you refer to. Twice!

60. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 20, 2013 3:55 PM

Be careful Steelers fans. Brandon Weeden is the preseason MVP. He is the man at going against vanilla defenses.

61. tinbender2000 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:59 PM

But who’s going to be the starting owner?

62. shadowcell says: Aug 20, 2013 4:00 PM

@gopokes0714

Weeden also had the bad luck to share his rookie season with the likes of Russell Wilson, RG3, Andrew Luck, and (for all intents and purposes) Colin Kaepernick. Had they not been around, Weeden might have gotten a better look, and more people might have noticed that Shurmur’s system was terrible for him.

63. bobsacamano2 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:46 PM

In the words of T.O….”That’s my (tear) quarterback…..That’s my (crying pause) teammate…

64. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 4:47 PM

@80sBroncosFan

Ohhhh yeah I forgot that Weeden is playing against vanilla defenses but every other QB is playing against exotic defenses.

Great attempt at an excuse, but the problem is that this is the case for every QB. So if Weeden is so terrible (after just 1 year, genius!) like you say, then every other QB should be able to shred these vanilla defenses.

65. clebrowns216 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:11 PM

80sBroncoFan should be more worried about his best player being suspended for 6 games, instead of talkin crap about a team he don’t know anything about haha.

Between Von being out, and your organizations inability to send a fax, looks like your pass rush will be pretty weak. Although I guess it won’t matter much in that sorry division, y’all will be good.

On a serious note though too bad about Von. He is the defensive player in the entire league in my opinion and by far the most fun to watch. I was hoping to watch him wreak havoc on the Ravens in week 1.

It’s sad how many Broncos fans I have seen talking about how they hate him and wish they didnt draft him. Dude is a monster.

66. hibrownsfan says: Aug 20, 2013 7:00 PM

iamthefootballjerk says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:34 AM
    Brown’s starting QB, AKA, AFC North tackling dummy. Congrats!

Ummm… yeah no one is taking that crown from Big Ben.

67. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Aug 20, 2013 9:43 PM

I’d like to see weeden or Campbell succeed

68. mrfrostyj says: Aug 20, 2013 10:49 PM

I think Chud has a great point in why he waited. Wasn’t the last QB competition he was involved in between a head case in Derek Anderson and a crybaby in Brady Quinn.

Weeden is 13 wins from being Peyton Manning 2.0 cause the 2013 Browns are built a lot like the 99 Colts who went fom worst to first but with a better defense.