Holmes tells teammates, “I can play”

Holmes Getty Images

The Jets still don’t have a timetable for the return of receiver Santonio Holmes.  If Holmes had his way, the would be right now.

“He definitely wants to get back as soon as possible,” receiver Stephen Hill said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  “If he could have played on Saturday, he would have played.  He kept saying, ‘I can play. I can play.’  But we’re just like, ‘Look, Tone….’”

Holmes ran routes during pregame warmups prior to the preseason contest against the Jaguars, with Geno Smith throwing the passes.

“He looked pretty good,” Smith said of Holmes.  “He was running pretty fast. He’s always had good hands, but he doesn’t look to be slowed down at all.”

The development comes in the wake of speculation that Holmes is milking a foot injury that was suffered in September 2012.  The Jets privately have denied any suggestion that Holmes is taking advantage of the situation.

Really, he has no reason to lollygag.  Though his $7.5 million salary for 2013 is fully guaranteed, neither the Jets will pay the $9.5 million he’s due to earn in 2014 unless he has a huge season.  And he can’t have a huge season if he isn’t playing.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Holmes tells teammates, “I can play””
  1. randyschwimmer7 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:45 PM

This guy got the money, and it went ALL DOWN HILL from there.

2. ingraven says: Aug 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Wow, and to think, Steelers had him AND Mike Wallace on their team at the same time. I’m a Ravens fan but man, i had respect for those two. But both have moved on, and we’ll see what they can do.

3. green41563 says: Aug 20, 2013 1:49 PM

If he comes back at full strength, the Jets’ skill- position groups probably go from bad to fringe-average. Given the presumed quality of the defense, that’s significant.

4. jetslakersfan says: Aug 20, 2013 2:08 PM

I’m glad somebody else see that Holmes has no reason to “lollygag”. Even if the Jets cut him next season it hurts him now not to play so he may get another nice contract next season. I just love how the media like to bash the Jets. If the Jets can stay healthy there going to shock a lot of people this season. No I’m not saying there going to win SB,but they will be in the playoff hunt.

5. skinsfanwill says: Aug 20, 2013 2:15 PM

At quick glance, I thought Kevin Garnett signed with the Jets too. All kinds of jump ball TD’s just went through my mind.

6. brutus9448 says: Aug 20, 2013 2:17 PM

“jetslakersfan says: ” If the Jets can stay healthy there going to shock a lot of people this season”

I think you forget you have buttfumble as your QB

7. hehateme2 says: Aug 20, 2013 2:37 PM

@jetlakerdelusionalfan- If the Jets can stay healthy there going to shock a lot of people this season. (ROFL) No I’m not saying there going to win SB,but they will be in the playoff hunt?

You’re delusional. No one is going to be shocked other than how poorly they preform.
    That roster has NO CHANCE for a playoff hunt. Lucky for 4-5 wins.

You need a competent QB first and there is not one in NJ.

8. godofwine330 says: Aug 20, 2013 2:52 PM

“They scanned my cat! I can play!” – Billy Bob from Varsity Blues

9. jetslakersfan says: Aug 20, 2013 2:56 PM

Yeah just like last season no chance Coltsx
    ,Seahawks,Redskins make the playoffs last season. If you know it all know everything why u on here and not coaching in NFL? Time will tell my boys.

10. 2bemoore43 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:02 PM

@he hate me…: Eli is in NJ…. the meadowlands even.

11. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Aug 20, 2013 3:06 PM

How do you spell Primadonna? = Santonio Holmes. I wished we never signed him because he’s a ‘me’ guy rather than a ‘team’ guy, but that he’s still here hopefully we can get some production out of him this season.

12. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 20, 2013 3:16 PM

jetslakersfan says:

If the Jets can stay healthy there going to shock a lot of people this season.
    __________________________

That’s a big if since no more than a handful of teams stay healthy all year. One of the big reasons the Pats, Ravens and a few other teams are so successful is they have very good depth on their teams and survive injuries because the backups are good. Not great usually but at least good.

Over and over we see that the bad teams have very little quality depth and I think that’s the state of the Jets roster this year. Maybe I’m wrong as I haven’t taken a good look at the Jets players yet this year.

And every team is 0-0 right now and every single team has the potential to win the Super Bowl at this time of year. Some have more potential than others but as you mentioned with the Colts last year, you just never know until the real games start.

We’ll see how the Jets do in week 2 when they come to Foxboro.

13. cool10857 says: Aug 20, 2013 5:05 PM

Santonio Holmes is a head case and is only out to benefit himself. He’s not a team player.