Packers get Casey Hayward back at practice

Casey Hayward, Devin Hester AP

The Packers have been down two cornerbacks for much of training camp, but they got one of them back at practice on Monday.

Casey Hayward’s hamstring has healed enough for him to start working with his teammates for the first time this summer. It’s an opportunity to catch up on the “very important reps” that coach Mike McCarthy recently said Hayward has been missing and a chance to rediscover the groove that the cornerback was in when he picked off six passes as a rookie.

They told me to go a little light today, light reps,” Hayward said, via Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “But when you’re out there, you want to get more reps. But we are going to ease into it. I feel pretty good. I wouldn’t be out there if I wasn’t 100 percent. I felt pretty good out there. There are a few kinks I want to work out with my leg.”

Tramon Williams is still out, though he said last week that he expects to play in the season opener. Having a healthy Hayward in the lineup makes it less crucial to get Williams back for that game, although the Packers would surely prefer to have a full house in the secondary sooner rather than later.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Packers get Casey Hayward back at practice”
  1. sandblastermoron says: Aug 20, 2013 11:19 AM

well, its not like this Defense can get any worse………

2. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 11:20 AM

Glad to have Ironhead back at practice.

3. mn1288 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:22 AM

Really helped fill the void with Woodson’s decline…One of the better up-and-coming corners.

4. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:26 AM

Tremendous player – looking forward to the big 2nd year jump.

5. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2013 11:26 AM

Important part of what will be a vastly improved defense this year.

6. dannomac21 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:27 AM

I hope we cut Tramon. He’s expensive and had one great postseason but hasn’t lived up to that since. Hayward, House, Shields, Hyde, and Bush is a solid 5.

7. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2013 11:27 AM

sandblastermoron says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:19 AM
    well, its not like this Defense can get any worse………

Well, they could be the Vikings defense, which is way worse and declining.

8. greenandgold1972 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:29 AM

Well, yes, they can get worse. They can go back to 2011 levels.

Because of AP and the SF game everybody conveniently forgets they improved a lot in 2012.

9. aa1829 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:41 AM

This just in, AR named the Packers starting quarterback for week one of the regular season.

10. GenXJay says: Aug 20, 2013 11:43 AM

Injury prone.

11. mn1288 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:50 AM

greenandgold1972 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:29 AM
    Well, yes, they can get worse. They can go back to 2011 levels.

—————–

And that Hayward would be no worse than the #2 corner for the Vikings in 2013.

On another note, still can’t believe they low-balled Winfield when they clearly could have used him in the slot this year. After seeing Finley last week when Lacy was in the game, he should do well on them.

12. jazsrt says: Aug 20, 2013 11:53 AM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:26 AM
    Tremendous player – looking forward to the big 2nd year jump.
    _________________________________

*Tramon-dous player.

You see what I did there!?

Ayyyooooooo.

13. mn1288 says: Aug 20, 2013 11:56 AM

GenXJay says:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:43 AM
    Injury prone.

———————–

Jealous-prone.

14. rtp295 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:00 PM

People are so ignorant, the Packers defense was ranked 11 last year, thats almost top third, but because they gave up two big games to AP and one to the 49ers thats all people remember.

With Datone Jones and Nick Perry heathly, the Packers will be improved on defense.

15. firestarter0728 says: Aug 20, 2013 12:08 PM

sandblastermoron says:
    well, its not like this Defense can get any worse………
    ——————–
    That’s what I was about to say about the Vikings’ QB…..

16. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Aug 20, 2013 12:13 PM

Getting a little nervous, vike fans? Cuz you should be.

17. jrmbadger says: Aug 20, 2013 12:14 PM

rtp295 says:
    Aug 20, 2013 12:00 PM
    People are so ignorant, the Packers defense was ranked 11 last year

========================

More likely just trolls trying to get attention.

18. ilovemyringlessfranchise says: Aug 20, 2013 12:18 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Aug 20, 2013 11:20 AM

Glad to have Ironhead back at practice.

——

It took me a second, but good one!

19. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 12:19 PM

greenandgold1972 says:Aug 20, 2013 11:29 AM

Well, yes, they can get worse. They can go back to 2011 levels.

______

Well, it would hard not to improve after having the worst defense in NFL history.

The Packers defense was fine last year (it isn’t like Adrian didn’t run over any other defenses). I’m not sure where all the improvement is coming from, but they’ll probably be fine again this year. That doesn’t make me nervous, though.

20. ruvelligwebuike says: Aug 20, 2013 12:39 PM

The Vikings starting corners have combined for 2 arrests and 0 interceptions in their careers, and their middle linebacker is named Erin.

You would think that would make them a little hesitant to talk so much.

But you would be wrong. They are Minnesotan. Just google the world’s opinion about these passive aggressive cowards and their smug arrogance (for no reason considering Minnesota is about as worthless as Saskatchewan). Justin Bieber is more respectable, honorable, manly and stable than a Minnesota, and he’s actually more entertaining. It’s not possible to be more boring than your average Eagan resident. Or Shakopee, or wherever…it’s all the same. Bland, lifeless nothing.

21. axespray says: Aug 20, 2013 1:17 PM

If we’re gonna have injuries, it may as well be these little 1-2 week sorts of injuries. It gives young late round/undrafted guys more of a shot at making the roster and what not.

Loyce Means and Micah Hyde looked good last game.

22. trollsetter says: Aug 20, 2013 1:29 PM

…get him back. For a weekend. That secondary’s softer than brie. Like the cheese reference ya yokels?

23. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 1:37 PM

ruvelligwebuike says:Aug 20, 2013 12:39 PM

______

To paraphrase Big Julie from Guys and Dolls, Cook has a perfect record: 2 arrests, 0 convictions.

I’m feeling it this year, though. This will be the year that he gets that first career interception. Believe!

24. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Aug 20, 2013 1:37 PM
    ruvelligwebuike says:Aug 20, 2013 12:39 PM

______

—–

Did you just quote a musical?

25. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 2:12 PM

tokyosandblaster says:Aug 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Did you just quote a musical?
    _____

Why? Is there something wrong with that? It’s called Guys and Dolls, not Guys and Guys. Living so close to Broadway, I’d think you’d get out to see a few musicals. Maybe you need to broaden your horizons beyond what’s happening at Packers training camp.

26. ruvelligwebuike says: Aug 20, 2013 2:17 PM

Cook has the physical tools but he has absolutely no ball skills. If they could combine him and Robinson into one person, he would be a decent corner. Rhodes should be okay.

Didn’t the Vikings have 8 interceptions as a team last year or was that the year before? That has got to be some sort of a record.

27. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2013 2:21 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Aug 20, 2013 2:12 PM
    tokyosandblaster says:Aug 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Did you just quote a musical?
    _____

Honestly, I am impressed. In my youth I performed in quite a few musicals.

Btw, it’s Jule, no “I”

28. deltaoracle says: Aug 20, 2013 3:29 PM

I don’t know whether the Packers have one great DB. But if everyone’s healthy, they should have 5 or 6 good ones, each with his own strengths.

29. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 20, 2013 4:13 PM

tokyosandblaster says:Aug 20, 2013 2:21 PM

Honestly, I am impressed. In my youth I performed in quite a few musicals.

Btw, it’s Jule, no “I”
    ______

I must have spelled it wrong because of all the men named Erin and Leslie and Lacy.

It was always my dream to play Sky Masterson. Unfortunately, it was unrequited.

30. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2013 4:55 PM

I played Sky twice and directed the show once. Good music. Great characters.

Don’t look now, but we are bonding!

31. jazsrt says: Aug 20, 2013 5:17 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Aug 20, 2013 4:13 PM
    tokyosandblaster says:Aug 20, 2013 2:21 PM

Honestly, I am impressed. In my youth I performed in quite a few musicals.

Btw, it’s Jule, no “I”
    ______

It was always my dream to play Sky Masterson. Unfortunately, it was unrequited.

0 0
    tokyosandblaster says:
    Aug 20, 2013 4:55 PM
    I played Sky twice and directed the show once. Good music. Great characters.

Don’t look now, but we are bonding!

_________________________________

Mother.Of.God.

32. jazsrt says: Aug 20, 2013 5:37 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Aug 20, 2013 4:55 PM
    I played Sky twice and directed the show once. Good music. Great characters.

Don’t look now, but we are bonding!

__________________________________