Von Miller gets a six-game suspension

AP

Early today, Broncos linebacker Von Miller said he hadn’t heard from the league.  Now he has.

Miller officially has been suspended six games.

“The Substances of Abuse policy requires everyone to comply with the rules,” Miller said in a statement released to the media.  “Although my suspension doesn’t result from a positive test, there is no excuse for my violations of the rules.  I made mistakes and my suspension has hurt my team, Broncos fans, and myself.  I am especially sorry for the effect of my bad decisions on others.  I will not make the the same mistakes about adhering to the policy in the future.  During my time off the field, I will work tirelessly and focus exclusively on remaining in peak shape.  I look forward to contributing immediately upon my upon my return to the field and bringing a championship back to the people of Denver.”

The fact that the outcome of the suspension is official implies that a hearing happened.  Which means that the reports from last Thursday that he was meeting with NFLPA lawyers and not attending a hearing on his situation may have been false — unless the league was pushing for something more than six games and the situation was resolved via negotiations between the NFL and the union.

Indeed, Miller received a hearing.  He advanced his arguments.  And the league rendered a decision.  Miller’s statement suggests he’ll accept the suspension, serve the time, and move on.

At a base salary of $2,284,125 in 2013, the loss of six game checks will result in the sacrifice of $806,161.76 in wages.

Whatever Miller did to get suspended, it probably wasn’t worth $806,161.76.

85 responses to “Von Miller gets a six-game suspension

1. Funny how getting caught changes your tune so quickly.

From this is a mistake on their part, to there is no way I did this, to I don’t even know who the NFL is, to I’m sorry in less than a day!

2. I like Miller’s game, but sometimes untouchable star players aren’t so untouchable. If he violated the policy in some way then I’m glad he’s getting suspended.

3. 619sdfan4life says: Aug 20, 2013 5:02 PM

Yeahhhhhhh!
    ————————————
    Says the 6 teams that just had a sigh of relief from being crushed.

4. Dang it !!! Buts thats o.k. Now now he knows…..we all know how many games are going to be missed. Broncos can brush it off. Broncos are only playing one division foe in the ffirst 6 games. Main focus winning division getting to playoffs and moving forward.

5. He deserves a full season suspension, and the organization should forfeit draft picks for enabling/ condoning cheating.
    The Broncos have overcome New England as the leagues most unethical cheaters.
    Pathetic, despicable, and shameful that an organization will not only keep players like that, but actually supports them, encourages them, and provides a defense/alibi for them because they support cheating.
    Kansas City is the classiest team in the division and they were going to take back what rightfully belongs to them regardless. Chiefs are the new model franchise and will win multiple titles while Denver goes down as a team full of asterisks

6. Von is a good guy. His transgressions are those of an immature kid. He’s not out murdering or beating women.

That being said, no one wins in the NFL with a bunch of choir boys.

I support you Von. Serve your time and come ready to eat greedy.

7. 6 games seems VERY excessive for weed….

———————————————————-

Multiple reports say the issue was that he “spilled” one test and then provided a diluted sample for another. No idea what he felt he was going to get caught with but the violation was for trying to buck the test, not for getting caught using anything specific.

8. According to 3 articles ago, Von said “the funny this is…I haven’t heard from the NFL.”
    Oops…..shoulda kept your mouth shut.

9. Whatever Miller did to get suspended, it probably wasn’t worth $806,161.76.

Unless, ya know, he used PED’s to get into the league which allowed him to sign this contract in the first place. Then what he did turns out to be worth far more than $806,161.76.

10. Broncos will still be a contender. One man doesn’t make a team… well except for maybe Peyton. LOL!
    The offense will just need to score a lot and they’ll get Miller back in time where the games have more meaning and of coarse the playoffs. Shouldn’t be a big problem.

11. I don’t see how this affects the Broncos Super Bowl chances at all…he’s only missing the first six games and it’s clear that they will easily make the playoffs already. I still think they have a great shot.

12. There’s no reason to submit a bogus sample unless you knew you would test positive for something. its funny how he throws in “even though I didn’t test positive”. Does he think people are stupid?

13. Denver fans will support you through this. Let it be a learning experience for everyone and lets move on to the task at hand. Del Rio will Shuffle things up and Maybe give others the opportunity to shine. Let’s put the offseason behind us and regain the integrity that this city is blessed with. Take it to ’em and leave all of the negativity to the ones always wrapped up in it.

14. gloryfromheaven says:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:05 PM

Should Broncos be Super Bowl favorites? Not anymore…

————————–

as long as Peyton Manning is there, they will be super bowl favorites (like the colts were,even if they always choke in the playoffs)

They could be 6-0 when von comes back

15. Ah ye olde form letter dusted off from file of excuses in the lawyer’s file to “apologize” for his cheating, er “mistakes”.

16. no one misses six games for weed. tamba hali was suspended one game for a positive test, because it was his first offense. this is not von’s first offense, and he is being punished accordingly.

17. Wait, what exactly did he do? Weed? Molly? Skip tests? 6 games is one of the longer suspensions I have heard of.

18. patriotinvasion says:Aug 20, 2013 5:12 PM

CHEATER!!!!

—————————————————

Says a fan of one of the biggest cheating teams in NFL history.

Spygate much???

19. Why didn’t Von just do what Richard Sherman did? “Ya gots da crak dat cup bro! I’m betta at cheatin da system dan you”

20. First off he smoked pot… he didn’t “cheat” from what I can tell… also… the first 6 games for the Broncos look pretty easy with maybe the Giants and the Ravens being an actual challenge. The other games might be closer but I don’t see the Broncos losing any of those games without Miller.

21. hakunamangata says:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:05 PM
    Funny how getting caught changes your tune so quickly.

————————————————————————————————————————————————- well at least he didn’t pull a ryan braun!!! signed a brewers fan…

22. denbronx says:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:13 PM
    He deserves the 6 games.

We will move on and are still going to DESTROY the Ravens.

That’s what you guys said last time. Kiss our Lombardi, LOSERS!

23. for those of you who are bashing him, it’s not how you fall in life it’s how you pick yourself back up. i’m sure you made a few dumb decision’s or mistakes in your life too.

24. Lame. Six game suspension for him, meanwhile Antonio Smith tries to bash someone’s skull in with a helmet and only gets a one game suspension. Logic? You’ll find none in the NFL’s disciplinary system.

25. vgferenzi says: Aug 20, 2013 5:11 PM

At least he is being a man about his punishment. *cough* ARod *cough* *cough* Antonio Smith.
    ——————————————————-
    Do you need a cough drop?

Miller isn’t being a man about anything. He exercised his right to appeal, just like ARod and Smith. He said that he will fight it from the start.

The NFL just happens to be faster at hearing appeals than MLB.

26. Living in Broncos Country for the last month you would have thought this was not going to happen. Two weeks ago, word out of camp was nothing but confident as to the possibility of no suspension. He took all first team reps as if he was going to be here. Arrogance is embarrassing at this point. Bleed orange and blue but, this will hurt!

27. well he couldve tore an ACL in week 1 or 2 .so be grateful it could always be worse. he didnt stop the mile high miracle so next man up bamas

28. Sherman wasn’t suspended because the sample COLLECTOR mishandled urine. Sounds to me like in this case the player (Von Miller) mishandled the sample then tried to dilute the said sample. Probably spilled his urine then tried to top it off with water or something stupid like that.

Sucks for Miller and the Broncos. They’ve had a pretty rough offseason so far. Front office personnel getting in trouble. Fax machine snafu with Dumervil, now this.

In Millers’ case, what’s done is done now. How he handles himself from now on will determine his future in the league.

I did some stupid things in life at his age as well.
    (Of course it didn’t cost me millions of dollars),
    but…..like vikescry1 said, let’s see how he responds to it before we go throwing stones at him!

29. I wonder who writes these Bronco “statements”?
    We know Miller could never put that many coherent sentences together. The guys in suits are always drunk, so it’s not them. Elway can’t spell Cat without spotting him the C and the a

I think I know who but really, does Peyton have to do everything?

30. Denver fans were relentless & brutal when Merriman was suspended. Miller will forever be labeled a cheater. Eat that big plate of crow Donkeys!!!

31. In reality the Broncos will only feel a 4 game suspension at worst. They’ve got Oakland and Jacksonville in their first 6 games, and should be able to come into those short-handed without a lot of concern. Local fans of those 2 teams will hate it, but truth is truth.

32. seansds3d says:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:34 PM

Curious how you can “tell” he smoked pot? Did you test him? Guys don’t cheat drug test over a positive for pot. Every report says he was masking PED’s and had done so multiple times. Hence he’s out for six games which is a lot.

33. How did he “cheat”? A guy smokes a lil weed to relax after work and he gets suspended 6 games. Meanwhile you can be a violent drunk and try to bludgeon someone with a helmet and get a slap on the wrist. Disgusting. Whoever made this decision should be ashamed of themselves.

34. He wasn’t taking PED’s so he isn’t a cheater you idiots… This was a substance abuse policy… Nowhere does it says PED’s…
    Von will be back and better than ever.

35. denbronx
    Aug 20, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
    He deserves the 6 games.

We will move on and are still going to DESTROY the Ravens.
    ——–
    That’s what EVERYONE said about that playoff game. Ya know, the one where jacoby caught that pass and manning threw two picks. Usually I don’t rub it in but the ignorance on here is astounding

36. from the perspective of a lifelong giants fan.

yay!

we’re gonna win a manning bowl finally 🙂

37. Stupid appears to be overtaking Miller like a relentless shadow. The arrogance/ignorance on display by Miller is rather astounding given his prominence, or maybe because of it. He also may loose $1.2 million of prorated Signing Bonus I read somewhere. Wow, that’s be $2 mil for transgressing.

38. Well, this at least, will allow the ratbirds to keep the game close and only lose by 10 points instead of 24. Broncos still strong favorites to win the SB.

39. I laughed out loud at “Miller’s statement”. That semi-literate, lying dolt couldn’t write out a statement like that if his life depended on it. What a moron.