Mike McCarthy says Jermichael Finley’s having his best camp

Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Early in the offseason, all the talk about tight end Jermichael Finley concerned whether or not the Packers would be asking him to restructure his contract in order to remain in Green Bay for the 2013 season.

That question reflected the general dissatisfaction with Finley’s 2012 season, but the answer wound up being that the Packers didn’t ask Finley to make any changes to his contract at all. He’ll play out the final year of his deal at $8.25 million and the word out of Packers camp is that Finley’s doing his best to earn that sum. He’s been praised by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, offensive coordinator Tom Clements and coach Mike McCarthy for his work this summer and all that praise is best summarized by McCarthy.

“He’s having his finest training camp, I think it’s clear-cut,” McCarthy said, via Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Finley had four catches for 78 yards in the last preseason game, a usage rate that was surely helped by the absences of wide receivers Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson but also illustrates the best of what Finley has done as a receiver over the course of his career. Finley’s blocking is also drawing strong reviews, something that hasn’t been the case for the last couple of years, and the overarching message of the lovefest is that Finley’s done everything the team has asked him to do in order to tap into his potential as deeply as possible.

That potential has always been there, but Finley’s never wound up drawing all he can from it. Should that change this season, the Packers offense will be even harder to stop.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Mike McCarthy says Jermichael Finley’s having his best camp”
  1. jhein23 says: Aug 21, 2013 8:23 AM

The offensive line is the whole key. They have the game’s top QB – Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Finley. And now a running game of Lacy and Harris. This offense could be very scary.

2. scoops1 says: Aug 21, 2013 8:28 AM

I’m a packers fan….but I still hate this guy….

hopefully he stops flapping his gums

3. thepvyharvin says: Aug 21, 2013 8:30 AM

Maybe he is sick of the best te in the North, Kyle Rudolph being the man. Don’t matter. Jer Jer couldn’t hold Rudolphs jock….

4. jimmysee says: Aug 21, 2013 8:35 AM

When everything is clicking, the Packers’ offense is way greater than the sum of its parts.

Adding Finley and Eddie Lacy to that is pretty impressive.

5. jaketdogg says: Aug 21, 2013 8:47 AM

drops are under 50%??

6. officialgame says: Aug 21, 2013 8:48 AM

Eight million for a tightend you better believe he is having a good camp.

7. hitemhard215 says: Aug 21, 2013 8:51 AM

Good to hear. Now if we can get a consistent Jermichael Finley from the Arizona playoff game years ago then this offense will be a problem. Even though offense was never a problem to begin with our super bowl hopes fall on the D

8. packfntk says: Aug 21, 2013 8:57 AM

Junkie sure looked great in the last preseason game and ARod likes to throw to him. I noticed he caught the ball, finished his run, put the ball down and went back to the huddle. I like it.

9. bennyb82 says: Aug 21, 2013 8:59 AM

I am sure he is not as concerned with earning this year’s salary as he is with getting a big contract next year.

10. dgt178 says: Aug 21, 2013 9:15 AM

….why does he wait until his back’s against the wall before he gets productive?….way overpaid…..get well cobb and nelson….

11. bjennejohn says: Aug 21, 2013 9:16 AM

YOTTO!

12. gbmickey says: Aug 21, 2013 9:33 AM

Took a while but I believe he finally has matured. Kind of mirrors Vernon Davis.

13. stellarperformance says: Aug 21, 2013 9:58 AM

I hope he has a great year. And I expect that next year he will want to stay with the guy that can put the ball in his hands too. No fears.

14. derekczajkowski says: Aug 21, 2013 10:07 AM

so he will have half the drops?

15. jrmbadger says: Aug 21, 2013 10:26 AM

I’m kindof excited to see how the season plays out. With Lacey freezing the linebackers on play-action fakes that should free up Finley. And Finley is a matchup nightmare for most linebackers.

16. nman087 says: Aug 21, 2013 10:38 AM

Every offseason we hear how he’s in great shape and having a great camp, then when he gets to the season and he’s counted on he drops more than he catches. I hope he proves me wrong this season but I’m sick of the offseason stud and the regular season dud.

17. tremoluxman says: Aug 21, 2013 10:44 AM

Well, paint me green and call me ‘Gumby’. Let’s just hand the Lombardi Trophy to the Packers right now and end all the suspense.

18. cmstrick says: Aug 21, 2013 10:46 AM

If we can keep the opposing safety in the box with the threat of a running game, game over man. Game over.

19. purpleguy says: Aug 21, 2013 10:46 AM

With Rodgers as his QB he should be having a great camp.

20. blergy says: Aug 21, 2013 11:12 AM

packfntk says:
    Aug 21, 2013 8:57 AM

——————————-

That’s what I noticed. No more “YOTTO” bull, no more of that stupid “fin” on the top of his helmet after an 8 yard reception.

He tosses the ball to the ref and heads back to the huddle with his mouth shut like he should. Once he has a couple 8-900 receiving yard/6-7TD seasons under his belt, then he can do that stupid crap if he wants.

21. rikker12 says: Aug 21, 2013 11:44 AM

tremoluxman says:
    Aug 21, 2013 10:44 AM
    ______________________________
    Well color me purple and call me “Barney”.. If there are no major injuries to this team, I think there is a great possibility that they could win it all!! Most educated fans know the Packers will contend this year…. If you take the top 10 teams in the league, anyone of those could win it all… Packer fans as well as 49er, Patriots, Falcons, Seahawks, Steeler & Bronco fans, would say the same thing… Unlike the other fans in the NFC North…

22. mack2x says: Aug 21, 2013 12:27 PM

2 words- contract year.

23. axespray says: Aug 21, 2013 2:08 PM

dgt178 says:
    Aug 21, 2013 9:15 AM
    “….why does he wait until his back’s against the wall before he gets productive?”
    ———————————————
    Could say that about most of McCarthy’s teams since 06 – aside from 07 and 2011, we always sort of stumble out of the gate, people doubt us, then we get on a good winning streak to finish the season, clinch a playoff spot.

24. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 21, 2013 6:59 PM

Can Finley live up to all that potential and become a poor man’s Jimmy Graham.