Bengals suddenly getting the star treatment

AP

Maybe it’s time to re-think the whole “America’s Team” thing.

Because suddenly, the Bengals have become media darlings. Yes, the Bengals.

Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer points out that in addition to their Hard Knocks stardom, the Bengals are also drawing the A-team announcers for each of their first three games.

CBS is sending Jim Nantz and Phil Simms to their Sept. 8 opener at Chicago. That’s followed by a Monday game against the Steelers on ESPN. The Sept. 22 game against the Packers will draw Fox’s top crew of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

The Bengals aren’t typically thought of as a prime-time draw, but they have made back-to-back playoff appearances, and should have one of the league’s top defenses, which will make them interesting to watch.

56 responses to “Bengals suddenly getting the star treatment

1. Joe Buck needs to be demoted….

Sam Rosen is 10x better the announcer then Buck is….and he is unbiased

2. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 22, 2013 11:16 AM

I wonder which play by play crew will call their inevitable playoff loss in Houston next January…

Extremely confident for a team who won last year by 6 points and then was spanked the next week…I hope we do see you all….I believe this year will be much different than last year…. Eifert, Gio, James Harrison will change the outcome of this game BIGTIME! We are going to see if those LB’s you have can cover Eifert and Gresham…as well as Gio….I say NOT! stay tuned….long season…..

3. If history is any indication, Coach Giggles will lose every prime time game (as usual) because this team always under performs on the big stage. They could be playing Saint Dorothy’s school for quadriplegic nuns but if the game was on Monday night they’d lose 35-0. Marvin just doesn’t know how to prepare his not ready for prime time players.

4. I really want to know how Aikman and Buck are Fox’s top team. It’s very sad, as just about any person has more broadcasting talent than them.

5. Well Monday would be set regardless of who is playing. Is it possible the others are set because of the matchup with Chicago and the Packers not just because of the Bengals? A Cincy-based newpaper wouldn’t see it that way.

6. Can anyone tell me the last time that a team was hyped in the preseason and then went on to be successful? Remember last year’s media darling? They fired their coach, “earned” the first overall pick in the draft even with five probowlers, neither of the two starting QBs from last season are on the roster anymore, and generally looked like a pile of garbage.

I’m not saying that the Bengals don’t look like they have a decent team. They do. Solid defense. Great wide receiver. Young QB that is improving every year. Picked up some decent looking guys in the draft.

Just don’t read your own press clippings, guys.

7. I can’t wait until they start losing , so we can stop this nonsense. They are a good team but they will choke when it matters the most because that’s what they do. Meanwhile the actual superbowl champs won’t even sniff the playoffs according to almost everyone outside of Baltimore! I.love it and like Bart Scott said. ” can’t wait”!

8. They will be getting the A-team one and done come January when they score zero Touchdowns in a wild card playoff loss.

Did the world collectively forget that Dalton is their QB?

9. Eifert, Gio, and Harrison does not change anything. Bengals our are little brother and probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC. We have players coming back also Mitchell and Cushing. Add ons of Swearinger , Ed Reed, and Hopkins just makes us more potent! Not to mention Tate is back at punishing force…. Texans are just better at every skilled position….

10. As goes Dalton, so goes the Bengals. They are stacked at every other position. Benard is going to be something special. They have remade their roster from the bottom up though with mostly homegrown talent.

11. Vikings fan here who likes the Bengals. Ignore the trolls Cincy. You guys have been on the rise now for a few years, and I think they are better on paper now than they were a year ago.

Now carry it over to the field.

12. I am a Browns fan first, so I hope they dont’ get wins there, but I am a Bengals fan, too. They are Ohio and founded by the same man, so chill. It is going to be big this year for the best division in the NFL (or the 2nd if you wanna make the NFL West tops) because all 4 teams look capable of winning week in, week out.

Go Browns! But then Go Bengals.

I’m a homer. Sue me.

13. I’m not a Bengals fan but I hope they do great this season. With that being said I think most fans would agree they don’t want to listen to Buck or Nantz call play by play for their teams.

14. I think this has more to do with ratings-grabbing Bears, Steelers and Packers being the opponents. All three of those are big TV attractions.

15. This franchise is so pathetic. They are losers and the fans accept it. They are not a prime-time caliber team. They will be sewpt by the Ravens and Steelers, and split with the Browns this season. Soon they will be leaveing the weak fan base in Cinci, and be moving to LA.

16. The Bengals are NOT the pushover team they’ve been for the majority of the last 25 years or so. They’re a quality team, one who will likely finish with 9 or 10 wins again this season. I still don’t necessarily buy them as a powerhouse team or Super Bowl contender yet though. Andy Dalton needs to beat the likes of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Joe Flacco before the team can be seen as a true contender.

Before anyone asks, the Bengals beat the Ravens with Joe Flacco on the sidelines for most of last year’s Week 17 meeting.

And this comes from a Ravens fan.

17. Cheer up, ravanator. You know you’ll be watching, just like everyone else. You may still be searching for a rational thought, but you’ll be watching.

18. southpaw2k says:

—————————————————

From someone critiquing QBs, putting Brady, Manning and Flacco together is pretty darn funny. Thanks for the laugh, man! I’ll enjoy that one all week!

19. thegenoatkinsdiet says:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:06 PM
    southpaw2k says:

—————————————————

———————————-

I guess there are still some people who refuse to accept the idea that Flacco is one of the best QBs in the AFC. If you want to add Ben in that mix since he’s won two championships that’s fine, since those four QBs are the ones who have won championships in their careers thus far.

20. Bengals have went from being an overrated joke to one of the best teams to watch. Getting rid of Chad Johnson really helped. This is a team you want to root for.

21. ravanator says: Aug 22, 2013 12:42 PM

Yet the Ravens have allowed this pathetic Franchise to hold a 15-19 record against them and that includes the lost years…So we were beatin you alls head in every so often when we had a team of NAIA players…BOL., Cant wait to see what happens this year….

22. Haha watch america as this teams fortunes turn. First Atkins and A.J green blow out the knees then Little red Gets knocked out. Its over for the Bumgles. Just watch you’ll See!!

23. It’s always nice to see a team go from garbage to good… my dad always tells me how awful the Packers were from the 70s-80s – and how awesome it was to see ’em just go 9-7 during the early Favre years.

So, best of luck to Bengal fans – you, browns fans, raider fans, bills fans, and lions fans all deserve something good out of your teams.

24. southpaw2k says:

————————————————–

Why would I accept what is not true? JF is a good QB that had a fantastic post-season last year, but no one is ever going to confuse him for Brady or Manning. Find me a year where his stats looked anything like theirs, and I will humbly apologize. But I’m not worried you’ll find it. Again, thanks for the laughs.

25. modellforprez says:
    Aug 22, 2013 2:04 PM

Your life must be sad if anticipating injury to others is where you find pleasure in life. I pity you, and it saddens me to see Ravens fans sinking to the troll-ish level of Steelers fans.

26. As a longtime Bengals fan I thought the same thing many of you did- that the announcers were a result of who they are playing and not the Bengals; however, while the Monday night crew is constant, the other games would not get those announcers if they were playing the Jags or Chiefs. So the Bengals did help draw the ‘top’ announcing crew.

I don’t really care as long as its not Dierdorf.

27. realfootballfan says:
    As goes Dalton, so goes the Bengals.
    ————————————————-
    That about sums it up. And any of you Cin fans that are happy about that, then all I can say is your expectations are too low. Understandably so.

28. It would seem the A-team draw has more to do with the Bengals opponents than it does with them.

29. joetoronto says: Aug 22, 2013 5:30 PM

This team, city and it’s fans are a joke, a complete joke.

Andy Dalton, LOL!

———————-

How many low life posts did you try until they finally relented and let one of your ignorant comments through? By the way, I was your 8th thumbs down.

30. I think this team is on the rise. Hopefully they can handle the media attention. Our only really weak spot is O Line. We are so deep in other positions that most of the players we cut will quickly get picked up by other teams. I expect great things from the Bengals this year.

31. joetornonto is still crying over the Carson Palmer trade. Besides, if you were a Raiders fan, you too would have little else to do than whine.

On a positive note, his fave team will have the first pick next year, and unless they totally tard out, they’ll get Clowney.

32. t8ertot says: Aug 22, 2013 11:41 AM

Hate on haters. The Bengals are legit contenders. Forget the 90′s Bungles. Every great team was horrible once
    ————
    Every horrible team was great once, too. Except the Bengals.

33. For all those Lamenting the fact that the Bengals play the NFCN this year remember the last time it took place 2009 when we played all those teams Chicago, Packers ,Vikes and Lions we Owned them and won the division title and we have a more talented and mature team not to mention coaching ….one game at a time…Who Dey!