McKnight gives “media bridges” card to local media

McKnight Getty Images

Every year, the league requires its 32 teams to conduct a one-hour mandatory media training session for all players.  This year, the Jets opted to give their players something tangible that could assist them later.

Specifically, players received a wallet-sized, laminated card entitled “Media Bridges.”  Per a league source, the goal was to give the players phrases that could be used to take a question they may not be comfortable answering and redirect the discussion toward another topic.

It was perhaps inevitable that the “Media Bridges” would end up in the hands of the media.  And it happened quickly.  The training occurred on Monday, and running back Joe McKnight gave his copy of the card to Seth Walder of the New York Daily News on Tuesday.

Walder showed it to colleague Manish Mehta, who tweeted a photo of the front and the back.

Making the card a bit more bizarre is the presence of a phrase that would never be used as a transitional message:  “You will each receive a copy of these as you leave today.”  We’re told that the card came from a batch that contained a typo, and that some of the cards with typos accidentally slipped through to the final supply.

While it all seems a little odd, every team provides media training to its players.  Some provide talking points every week.

For the Jets, the goal was and is to help players deal with the media in the nation’s No. 1 media market.  While NFL players are great at what they do, some aren’t very great at talking to the media.

McKnight, as it turns out, also isn’t very great when it comes to keeping the advice he has received for talking to the media from the media.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “McKnight gives “media bridges” card to local media”
  1. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Aug 22, 2013 5:23 PM

I think it was in 2008 there was a redskins 7th round draft pick who has a killer preseason game and went to talk to the media. Poor guy was so nervous he said “you know” and “like” after every word. Anyone remember who that player was and if hes still in the league?

2. brohamma says: Aug 22, 2013 5:27 PM

Classic! How about the one on the back…

“That’s not my area of expertise, but I think your audience would be interested to knowing that.”

Why not “All your base are belong to us.”

“… interested IN knowing that.”

3. vaster says: Aug 22, 2013 5:28 PM

The Jets beat writers are the biggest clown hats on the planet. Yes, I’m talking about Mehta World Peace and Cimidiot.

4. coltzfan166 says: Aug 22, 2013 5:29 PM

Has anyone noticed that the Jets have actually gotten worse since Rex shut his mouth? His mouth was worst his first two years and that’s when they were good. He didn’t say anything last year and the Jets had their worst year with Ryan. Just saying.

5. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 22, 2013 5:31 PM

What a circus

6. kgun80 says: Aug 22, 2013 5:31 PM

Hahahahaha!!!! Oh Jets from buttfumble to this I would really like to thank the entire Jets organization. It’s a long time from the Super Bowl to opening day, the endless entertainment you provide during the off season has been greatly appreciated. I’m sad to say all this will probably change when Rex is fired after week 6… Then they will just be another bad team.

7. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 22, 2013 5:39 PM

Josh didn’t want to burn his media bridge so he gave it away.

8. delmonte55 says: Aug 22, 2013 5:43 PM

Why does it seem odd to try and help players with their encounters with the media. Say one thing wrong and it produces a thousand posts.

9. jakec4 says: Aug 22, 2013 5:48 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me. You’d have to think a lot of players are shy and/or inarticulate. It doesn’t mean they are stupid by any means, it just helps helps them to avoid embarrassing themselves or the team by getting nervous and saying something stupid when at a loss for words.

10. tfbuckfutter says: Aug 22, 2013 5:59 PM

If their players are too dumb to talk what makes the organization think they can read aloud?

11. shakabraddah777 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:06 PM

“…your audience would be interested to knowing that…” Maybe the Jets Media PR Dept. needs their own Proper Grammar Bridge before they start “educating” the players. It’s like Dumb and Dumber. Gotta be da Jets!

12. jakec4 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:08 PM

tfbuckfutter says: Aug 22, 2013 5:59 PM

—————————————————————-

Teams rarely draft players for their oratory skills as far as I know.

13. pacopicopiedra says: Aug 22, 2013 6:16 PM

REPORTER: So Joe, tell us about that fumble in the third quarter.

McKNIGHT: Let me answer you by saying that I wouldn’t even try to take on the job of coaching; what I can tell you is that’s not my area of expertise, but I think that your audience would be interested to knowing that what’s most important is, you will each receive a copy of these as you leave today.

REPORTER: What?

McKNIGHT: Let me just add that, that reminds me, that’s an important point because, what that means is, if you look at it closely you’ll find…what I can say is this.

REPORTER: (shakes head and slowly walks away)

14. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 22, 2013 6:24 PM

I think McKnight better get with the program or he’s going to get cut from the worst team in the league.

15. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 22, 2013 6:34 PM

McKnight. Such high hopes for him in college. He’s not even a poor man’s Reggie Bush

16. jr507 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:56 PM

Pacopicopiedra – I’m a defensive Jets fan but your post was priceless. well done.

17. drunkwino says: Aug 22, 2013 7:07 PM

————

If it works, watch a dozen other Jets sign onto his brilliant idea.

18. gmenfan1982 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:50 PM

I can’t stand watching reporters interview athletes. Nothing interesting is said, it’s all the same typical sayings, and no player ever actually answers the question.

19. waldoampere says: Aug 22, 2013 8:03 PM

Let’s face it: Anyone criticizing the Jets for this meaningless story just hates them with a passion that is barely rational.

20. rajbais says: Aug 22, 2013 9:16 PM

I thought that you need talent to get away with trouble.

21. reprocity says: Aug 22, 2013 10:00 PM

Tebow running in the rain without a shirt… Hernandez friends…
    Pilot Flying J…

Would it be possible to split this site up into two categories: Football and non football stories???

22. green41563 says: Aug 22, 2013 11:17 PM

waldoampere says:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:03 PM
    _________________________________

Not so fast.

I’ve been a Jet fan since 1989, love them to death, and I think these tips are asinine. It’s not the Jets’ fault, but whomever they hired to produce these “media bridges” is incompetent. And the result is rather embarrassing, frankly.

23. lance19 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:20 AM

The irony here is,
    that now, when a guy says any of these things,
    (whether ‘on-script’ or because he would’ve anyway)
    people will roll their eyes and laugh.

I think the Jets just made things worse for these young men…especially those who already had trouble articulating…

24. rcp29 says: Aug 23, 2013 11:01 AM

I love the irony of people in an internet comments section criticizing NFL players for being incapable of talking to reporters. Internet commenters are often incapable of writing coherently when they have plenty of time to put their thoughts in order, never mind talking to two dozen reporters who will rake you over the coals for saying even one wrong thing.

I also love pacopicopiedra’s fake transcript. That is priceless.

25. steelerben says: Aug 23, 2013 11:05 AM

Joe McKnight gave his media bridges card to the media.

The Jets gave McKnight’s roster spot to a rookie.

26. zeke2517 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Somewhere, in a press room, we hear… “fapfapfapfapfap.”

27. zeke2517 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:14 PM

You’ve gone totally meta, by the way.