NFL fines RG3 $10,000 for wearing unapproved shirt

Robert Griffin III AP

The NFL’s uniform police have busted Robert Griffin III.

Griffin has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for an apparel violation, the Washington Post reports. The fine is apparently for wearing a T-shirt reading “Operation Patience” while he warmed up before the game against the Steelers at FedEx Field. Although Griffin didn’t play in the game, he’s still required to follow the NFL’s uniform rules while appearing with the team, and one of those rules is that only certain clothing is permitted.

“Operation Patience” is what Griffin has called the team’s plan to hold him out for the entire preseason as he recovers from knee surgery.

Griffin was also fined $10,000 by the NFL last year for wearing Adidas gear at a post-game press conference. The NFL has an exclusive apparel deal with Nike. Griffin has shown his loyalty to Adidas in the past by covering up the Nike logo on his clothing during pregame warmups.

Griffin is far from the first player to run into this kind of trouble. Wes Welker got fined $10,000 for wearing an unauthorized hat in a post-game interview, Alex Smith was threatened with a $15,000 fine for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat, and Brian Urlacher was fined a whopping $100,000 for wearing an unauthorized hat at Super Bowl media day.

Permalink 133 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
133 Responses to “NFL fines RG3 $10,000 for wearing unapproved shirt”
  1. unbiasfan says: Aug 22, 2013 6:03 PM

The NFL should donate that $10,000 to give clothes to kids in need, a fitting punishment deserves a fitting cause

2. xsfmed says: Aug 22, 2013 6:04 PM

They should have fined him for doing those half assed pullups and situps the other night.

3. jakec4 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:04 PM

Wonder what a ‘Goodell Sucks’ shirt fine would be.

4. blbrad says: Aug 22, 2013 6:04 PM

time for RGIII to break out the “Goodell” t-shirt.

5. thetooloftools says: Aug 22, 2013 6:06 PM

Goodell would have had a stroke if he would have had to deal with Jim McMahon.

6. unbiasfan says: Aug 22, 2013 6:06 PM

Who else is wondering where all this money from these NFL fines are going to?

7. jimthebuilder27 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM

God, this guy is a narcissistic clown.

At least Andrew Luck just goes about his business, unlike this guy.

8. allday28mvpmvp says: Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM

Skins are pretenders, not contenders.

9. unbiasfan says: Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM

Every Redskins player should get fined for wearing their offense jersey

10. longbino says: Aug 22, 2013 6:08 PM

Remember the good ok’ days and Jim McMahon writing stuff on his headband ?

11. shadowcell says: Aug 22, 2013 6:09 PM

Well I don’t know about you guys but I’ll sleep soundly tonight knowing that justice has been served and America has been protected from another highly paid professional athlete breaking the NFL’s sacred apparel rules.

12. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 22, 2013 6:09 PM

RGFee

13. fanfrommontreal says: Aug 22, 2013 6:10 PM

Control freaks.

14. boogymanoflamancha says: Aug 22, 2013 6:10 PM

15. sallust99 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:11 PM

I miss the days of Rozelle Headbands. What does NFL stand for these days – No Fun League?

16. bigbaldpapahawk says: Aug 22, 2013 6:11 PM

He should start wearing messages on his headband.

17. firestarter0728 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:13 PM

This will be the least of his problems in 2013.

18. gerard33 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:13 PM

I used to like Griffin but I’m starting to see him as a major narcissist and with low self awareness, a bad combo

19. cajunaise says: Aug 22, 2013 6:15 PM

If an NFL player breaks out a “Rozelle” head band this year, I’m sending them a pie.

20. finfan87 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:15 PM

The money for these fines goes to charity, for those wondering. The NFL doesn’t specify where specific money from specific fines goes, but there are a lot of organizations that credit the NFL for giving them donations through these fines.

21. canadianvikingfaniii says: Aug 22, 2013 6:17 PM

It’s been stated that all the fines the NFL imposes go to charities. However, I would love to see a list of them, and their distribution methods.

22. hakunamangata says: Aug 22, 2013 6:18 PM

N.F.L: No Fun League.

23. bucsfan5000 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:19 PM

Wonder what a ‘Goodell Sucks’ shirt fine would be.
    ————————————————————-
    At least $100,000

24. 4greatestvikingever says: Aug 22, 2013 6:19 PM

The money from fines goes to charity.

25. jason1980 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:20 PM

I’m not a Redskins fan, but am I the only person that’s sick of this drama queen Robert Griffin? I look at all players that are not on my favorite team opponents, but without malice. This guy is annoying, considering he has only been in the league one year and hasn’t done much. Reminds me of Cam Newton, all drama and no championships. Win something, then give interviews everyday about how wonderful you are. Jeeeez….

26. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 22, 2013 6:21 PM

I can’t believe the apparel rules extend to the T-shirt you wear under your jersey during pre-game warmups. Was the problem that the T-shirt had writing on it or because it wasn’t made by Nike?

27. 49faithful says: Aug 22, 2013 6:21 PM

Where is J. Edgar Hoover when you need him?

28. sillec28 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:27 PM

Where’s Jim McMahon when we need him?

29. floratiotime says: Aug 22, 2013 6:27 PM

I thought he was supposed to be smart. Guess not.

30. cadillacjosh says: Aug 22, 2013 6:31 PM

Heisman trophy, rookie of the year, got the Redskins to the playoffs and you say “win a championship.” He’s done a lot for a guy with one year in the league on a Redskins team that has been largely forgettable for the 2000’s.

Let’s be real, RG3 can a championship every year for the rest of his career and you’d still say he was a “drama queen” because he has fun and obviously doesn’t take life outside of the football field too seriously.

A drama queen makes a big deal out of nothing. And so far all RG3 has done has said he wants to play. People’s opinion of the guy clearly has nothing to do with his ability on the football field, it’s only the things handed to us by the media. He’s a young 20-something year old who’s an NFL quarterback. “Operation Patience” is funny. Once you meet him and hang out with him, I ceed my opinion of his personality to you.

And all of this is from someone who truly does not care about RG3 and the Redskins.

31. drboogerlips says: Aug 22, 2013 6:32 PM

This is getting so stupid. I understand when players wear a logo for a company that doesn’t have a deal with the NFL, but fining someone for wearing a random shirt?

And then fining Alex Smith for wearing a baseball cap?

How many more years do we have left dealing with goodell?

32. redzona says: Aug 22, 2013 6:34 PM

I’m sure his endorsement contracts cover his fines and probably have him do that for free pub/air time.

33. seabreezes51 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:35 PM

Has McNabb commented?

34. mdd913 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:35 PM

NFL is so corrupt it makes me want to be sick.

35. mackcarrington says: Aug 22, 2013 6:37 PM

At least the shirt was in Redskin colors.

36. 302baller says: Aug 22, 2013 6:39 PM

Corporations run everything these days in Sports! Our Stadium Names, Our Bowl Games and now our T-Shirts. This is a sad reflection of where we have come as a society. Incidentally, I’d tattoo Nike on my back for 20k…call me!

37. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 22, 2013 6:41 PM

Gruesome also got docked 10 grand each for the fashion crimes of the 70s headband and dreads. But what really hurt was 50k for dental neglect.

38. ravanator says: Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

I think Goodell should also fine Griffin for impersonating a NFL QB. And also fine the entire R-Words franchise for impersonating a NFL franchise for the past 10 years. Don’t worry, the Ravens will be perfection as usual and bring respect to the state of Maryland.

39. b3nz0z says: Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

I mean I was about to go buy a bunch of Nike gear because I thought every nfl player liked the brand so much that they all stopped wearing reebok at the same time. But seeing rg3 in non Nike gear has shattered the illusion. Now I don’t know who to trust anymore.

40. commonsensedude says: Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

I’m starting to suspect that Goodell gets a cut of those fines. “Unofficial socks?? That will cost you $2,500.00, Mister!! Let me think … that covers this month’s yacht payment. eh, I mean, ‘Protect The Shield'”

41. koolrepetoire says: Aug 22, 2013 6:46 PM

Let me get this straight: You twerps are complaining about RG3 wearing a T-shirt in warm-ups that the majority of the fans never saw in pre-game warm-ups, that according to some of the idiot logic he knew he would get fined for, all the while this man is staying motivated & working dilligently ahead of schedule after knee surgery from 8 months ago, logging into Redskins RG3 threads to say stupid stuff and he’s the narcissist? Ohhh-kay. Name me 1 person on earth that really cares what an NFL player wears in pre-game warm-ups? BTW RG3 and Cam are former Heisman Trophy winning 1st round QB’s. Ummmmm they are going to get major media attention. You twerps do know that right?

42. purplekoolaid1 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:47 PM

I received Sunday NFL Ticket free for the season by pre-ordering the Madden 25th Anniversary video game from Amazon. Am I going to get fined for naming all of these companies in my post?

43. painsyndicate says: Aug 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Wow, it appears that RGIII is hyper-eager, hyper-competitive, hyper-anxious and hyper-driven to return the playing field RIGHT NOW. I wonder why we haven’t been hearing about this from the media for the entire summer?

44. vtsquirm says: Aug 22, 2013 6:48 PM

———————
    No, he wasn’t wearing the jersey, just the tshirt while he was doing warm ups. So the message was clearly visible.

45. deenice810 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:49 PM

RG3= Drama queen!

46. natepalmer1 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:55 PM

The RGIII downward spiral…Thank you Ravens, thank you Seahawks…Can’t wait to see the epic fail…

47. dstep24 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:55 PM

“The Invention of Lying”s version of the T-Shirt, says:

“Give me all the attention. Wait on my every word with bated breath. This is about me, not them.”

48. s0merand0mguy says: Aug 22, 2013 6:56 PM

Yeah? Most of the NFL calls it “Operation Knee”. You Washington fans better hope he decides to settle in the pocket because if the poor lad runs that knee is going to be a prime target. I don’ see him lasting very long especially if the skins are losing and he gets desperate to make a play. Goodluck!

49. mackcarrington says: Aug 22, 2013 6:56 PM

=======
    Roger Goodell

50. jakec4 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:00 PM

commonsensedude says: Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

I’m starting to suspect that Goodell gets a cut of those fines. “Unofficial socks?? That will cost you $2,500.00, Mister!! Let me think … that covers this month’s yacht payment. eh, I mean, ‘Protect The Shield’”

—————————————————————

The skim. I was thinking that too. Like in the movie Casino where the guy walks into the count room and takes stacks off the top like that is what he’s supposed to do.

51. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:01 PM

I used to like this kid, but now I’m about all RG3’d out.
    Watching him Monday night, prancing around in that goofy hat, trying to be noticed really was a bit over the top.
    This kid craves the attention.
    Enough already!!!

52. thegonz13 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:02 PM

NFL = Next Fine League

53. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 22, 2013 7:03 PM

Gruesome had to go to the stretchy headband because he kept outgrowing his hats.

54. 302baller says: Aug 22, 2013 7:05 PM

NBC, FOX, ABC & CBS should fine the NFL for hurting viewers eyes with those ugly Redskins’ colored uniforms.

55. oldcat157 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:06 PM

He should have cracked someone’s knees. Cheaper.

56. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:09 PM

breaking news: NFL fines IRG3 100,000 for lewd text to waitress, and for being a drama queen, and for being vastly overated

57. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:10 PM

he spelled “overated” wrong on his shirt

58. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:11 PM

even when mike vick first came out, he wasnt this media drama queen-sy

59. stunzeed5 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:14 PM

blah blah blah RG3 is this….RG3 is that….when all he is…is the Redskins QB which makes you jealous because he’s better, younger, and more dynamic than yours. Class dismissed.

60. 1standinches says: Aug 22, 2013 7:14 PM

Again.. Why is Tony Romo not fined for wearing a Starters hat?.. You hypocrites..

61. massappeal12345 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:18 PM

There is no III in team.

62. banger60 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:25 PM

What, no appeal!

63. tennesseeblue says: Aug 22, 2013 7:33 PM

The NFL should fine him for those dreads and headband. Not a good look.

64. greymares says: Aug 22, 2013 7:33 PM

you really can’t blame the kid the guys asking the questions have put him on that pedestal. but he will soon be knocked into next week and don’t rule out it will start with an O’le block from a teammate.

65. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 22, 2013 7:36 PM

hey logic ur boy is not that perfect after all LETS ASK ROGER GOODELL WHY HE FINED HIM ROGER IS A REDSKINS FAN

66. 1ninerfan says: Aug 22, 2013 7:37 PM

rg3 too much hype……

67. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 22, 2013 7:41 PM

ROGER GOODELL IS A REDSKINS FAN IF U DO NOT BELIEVE GO GOOGLE IT

68. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 22, 2013 7:42 PM

deadskins suck

69. str82dvd says: Aug 22, 2013 7:42 PM

Tennessee beat me to my comment o’ choice: the dreads are the worse offense.

70. dlbpatsfan says: Aug 22, 2013 7:43 PM

Are you serious?

71. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 22, 2013 7:44 PM

what a shock something bad about this diva an no LOGICVOICE TO BE FOUND

72. keylimelight says: Aug 22, 2013 7:45 PM

Not many players are foolish enough to be willing to pay thousands of dollars in fines to make a statement.

But consider, if the NFL doesn’t knuckle down on these incidents, after awhile, they’d see all manner of statements, messages, slogans and whatever else splashed across warm up apparel on game day.

So the league might as well be consistent and enforce the rule regardless of who the player is and regardless of what the player thinks is important enough to risk the fine.

Having made my point I would like to add that RGIII sure loves him some attention.

73. taylorgangtrippymane says: Aug 22, 2013 7:46 PM

Can’t go a day without some type of RG3 news. He should get fined just for being so overrated

74. jason1980 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:50 PM

The NFL should fine him for that hugh mouth and teeth.

75. kenstabler says: Aug 22, 2013 7:51 PM

Next the NFL will put cameras in the locker room and start fining for unapproved underwear.

I think the competition committee should get involved with this issue.

76. dstep24 says: Aug 22, 2013 7:52 PM

Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are somewhere caring about their teammates.

77. EJ says: Aug 22, 2013 8:05 PM

bucsfan5000 says:
    Aug 22, 2013 6:19 PM

Wonder what a ‘Goodell Sucks’ shirt fine would be.
    ————————————————————-
    At least $100,000
    =====================
    I don’t think they can charge more than the $10,000 if it is a first offense. Now if it is the 2nd or 3rd time, It’s anyone’s guess…

78. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 22, 2013 8:21 PM

Just in: Rams organization fined 10k for the heist they pulled on the redskins, biggest robbery since The Italian Job

79. jagerbmb says: Aug 22, 2013 8:27 PM

Bet that wasn’t on his bridal registry

80. thereyougo2 says: Aug 22, 2013 8:37 PM

The National Flag league comes closer and closer to putting themselves Out Of Business. Just a matter of time with their present commissioner.

Becoming a bit much watching a 60 min. Game with an additional two hours of commercials, pauses for review and two or three talking heads showing how much or little they think they know.

81. stunzeed5 says: Aug 22, 2013 8:47 PM

What do RG3, Alex Ovechkin, Bryce Harper, and John Wall have in common? They are all super dynamic, outstanding, athletic and YOUNG superstars that opposing fans love to hate but deep down wish were on your losing city’s team. Class dismissed.

82. fafaflunky says: Aug 22, 2013 8:48 PM

once again peytonsneck18 is commenting on a redskins post. I swear he’s a closet skins fan. just come out man. people normally get frustrated when they know they cant be as good as some. or are you jealous of the dynamic player rg3 is and you secretly wanted him but got luck instead..

83. warhammer420 says: Aug 22, 2013 8:48 PM

Oh no! The fashion police are on patrol!

84. releasetheorakigan says: Aug 22, 2013 8:49 PM

I bet he’s made a lot more than 10k in endorsements from addidas.

85. manilarizzo says: Aug 22, 2013 8:52 PM

I seriously don’t understand the desire from so many to talk trash and hate on this kid. You do realize the media seeks him, not the other way around? Wilson and Luck aren’t getting any press because they have no character (great guys I’m sure)….but they also aren’t rebounding from an ACL and MCL in near record speed and they aren’t leading one of the most valuable and popular sports franchises back into relevance after 15 years without it. He’s intelligent, from a good family, a good interviewee, a Heisman winner, a ROY who broke many rookie and redskin records, and is one of a few guys changing the position.

And you wonder why the hype??? And you keep reading too????

86. gregmorris78 says: Aug 22, 2013 9:04 PM

Jeez folks overated? He tore it up mostly last year. Made Dallas look like a us team in front of one pretty big thanksgiving audience – get real. He does seem to be trying to stand out in other ways since he can’t yet play in games. Redskins should cool his jetsa bit…

87. orakpownd says: Aug 22, 2013 9:06 PM

@Ravanator

Respect to MD? I think personally we should buy out the failing state of MD and give it to VA and give Ohio another team in the middle of the night.

88. bat42boy says: Aug 22, 2013 9:10 PM

The almighty NFL has some really stupid rules. Who cares what these players wear when they are not playing. Looks like the NFL follows the almighty NCAA in stupidity.

89. trevor123698 says: Aug 22, 2013 9:12 PM

So patience works better than nutrition at healing injuries? No it doesn’t. Athletes just don’t know that DEAD ATHLETES DON’T LIE. he should have never had the injury in the first place

90. kerryc21realty says: Aug 22, 2013 9:13 PM

All you RG3 haters just shut up and look at last years stats. If you still say he is a failure or will fail then you don’t know anything about football. Stop making fools of yourselves

91. bigbluenationdb says: Aug 22, 2013 9:18 PM

RG3 does will do anything for attention. He wants the camera on him at all times. He about made me puke the way him and Shanahan were laughing prior to the last preseason game.

Since he came into the league has done anything to keep his name in the spotlight.

1) Goofy looking socks
    2) Post his wedding registry on social media
    3) Wear Adidas gear in post game interviews
    4) Throw his coach under the bus during interviews all off season. “I know the plan, but I don’t understand the plan. But we have a plan”
    5) And now this t-shirt to draw more attention to himself.

IRG3 nothing but a drama queen. He fits in good in the Nations Capital.

92. stunzeed5 says: Aug 22, 2013 9:20 PM

manilarizzo took you guys to school; well done. Class dismissed!

93. nananatman says: Aug 22, 2013 9:43 PM

He should honor the Nike deal, personally I think Addies are better all around, shell toes, black and awesome but I don’t have a multi-million dollar contract.

94. kev86 says: Aug 22, 2013 9:45 PM

He loves the attention. One bad cut and he’s toast.

95. crappygovernment says: Aug 22, 2013 9:47 PM

RGIII = McNabb 2.0

96. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Aug 22, 2013 10:07 PM

unbiasfan says:
    Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM
    Every Redskins player should get fined for wearing their offense jersey

—————————————————-

What’s there defense jersey look like?

97. michaelwone says: Aug 22, 2013 10:10 PM

hakunamangata says:

N.F.L: No Fun League.

____________________

Good one, haven’t heard that before.

98. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Aug 22, 2013 10:10 PM

their*

99. ezg1 says: Aug 22, 2013 10:13 PM

RGIII Inc. Is going to make a fortune, with the help of the NFL, selling this new slogan related to the Chosen One!

100. wolfmanpatriot says: Aug 22, 2013 10:17 PM

The NFL’s “charity” is the united way.
    Out of every $ one donates, 8¢ actually makes it to those we try to help. The top dog makes near $1mil a year plus a half mil expense / debit card.
    Only worse charity is UNICEF, where the head honcho makes about 1 mil with an unlimited expense account.

I am guessing the owners chose the united way as they get a huge kick back.
    Donate player’s salaries, get half for yourself.
    Is it any wonder they love goodell and encourage his fines?

101. skinfangray says: Aug 22, 2013 10:29 PM

ravanator says: Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

————————————————
    Hey, are you still “Proud to be born in Baltimore?” That Raven offense and defense are looking awesome out there against the Panthers. Bet your glad you gave all that money to Flacco.

102. cguy7 says: Aug 22, 2013 10:38 PM

Another money bath for Uncle Roger… How much longer will our industrious gov. allow the league and tbe NCAA proceed with their subjective.agendas? Antitrust exemptions need to be yanked, and objective criterias need to be identified. He should roll out with a wife beater and speedo for that kind of loot. Wonder if D. Snyder ultimately scratches that check for the write off…

103. cguy7 says: Aug 22, 2013 10:53 PM

He’s won nothing but regular season games. I would take Luck and Wilson over RGMe with a gun to my head. Your fundamental responsibility as an NFL qb is to throw the ball… Skins fans need to temper their expectations, London Fletcher can’t play another 5 years… NFC East is on the downswing. Bad management all around…

104. bearfan3454 says: Aug 22, 2013 10:54 PM

The NFL will be losing fans pretty soon. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

105. s0merand0mguy says: Aug 22, 2013 11:01 PM

@manilarizzo

Response: Because you are a redskins fan. You also don’t get these RG3 headlines shoved down your throat, it’s annoying and he’s annoying.

Response: Redskins organization is not even in the top 5 most lucrative, popular and/or valuable football teams. Look it up on Forbes.

Response: He is intelligent but lacks common sense. But let’s be honest here. RG3 is a poor mans Michael Vick. Vick changed the QB position years ago RG3 is just showing up late to the party. The difference between Vick and RG3 will be that RG3’s career wont last as long and he wont go to prison (at least in the foreseeable future). They are similar too. They both make dumb decisions when under duress in a game and both seem to have the same amount of haters… Yep

106. ososrule says: Aug 22, 2013 11:04 PM

Crutches and Wheelchairs is not smart. Arrogant and delusional, but definitely not smart.

107. skinsfansince71 says: Aug 22, 2013 11:05 PM

jimthebuilder27 says: Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM

God, this guy is a narcissistic clown.

At least Andrew Luck just goes about his business, unlike this guy

That’s because the press could care less about Luck.

108. skinsfansince71 says: Aug 22, 2013 11:07 PM

To all of you RG3 haters if you don’t like the player quit reading the stories,and to peytonsneck that story was proven to be a hoax so get over it.

109. fubar5150 says: Aug 22, 2013 11:42 PM

The NFL is like the government to much control

110. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 23, 2013 12:00 AM

manilarizzo:
    I feel bad for Shanahan, who is being held hostage by a second-year quarterback who has done absolutely nothing yet on the football field…
    Griffin is becoming difficult not only to embrace but to simply tolerate. He enjoys the attention way too much. And I truly believe he’s a reached the point where he and the media think he’s bigger than the organization. He conducts more press conferences than Obama.
    Ridiculous!!!

111. footballislife01 says: Aug 23, 2013 12:18 AM

I use to be a huge fan of RG3 and then he became a deadskin and now I still enjoy watching him play but I hope he loses at least 10 games this year and every year he is a QB for them.

112. taylorgangtrippymane says: Aug 23, 2013 12:25 AM

^Wait..Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck have no character? …you cannot be serious. Have you ever watched ant of their interviews? Also, the Redskins are not one of the most popular sports franchises. They’re middle of the pack

113. arnoldziffel says: Aug 23, 2013 12:51 AM

Own an NFL franchise and get caught racketeering in New Jersey? .. No Problem!

Own an NFL franchise and defraud your customers in Ohio of millions and millions of dollars? .. Look the other way.

Keep your NFL stadium field in such poor condition that players blow out their ACLs during a game? Eh! Just get some more players.

Wear an unapproved tee shirt? HOLY CRAP!! Squawk! Honk! Beep-Beep!!!! The Shield! The SHIELD!!! … Ten Thousand Dollar Fine!! BAD BAD BAD!!!

How the hell do the suits get away with it? Well, give Roger a $13 million dollar a year salary, pretend you’re a choir boy … and watch the value of your franchise escalate!!!

114. softhelmet says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 AM

Would he be fined for a shirt that said “Love All”, just asking?

115. koolrepetoire says: Aug 23, 2013 1:12 AM

Wow, Roger Goodell is a person? I thought he is a puppet controlled by Robert Kraft and Wellington Mara. Interesting he never got fined for wearing ” No pressure, No diamonds” all last year.

116. whatwhat2013 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:24 AM

And Kaepernick was given a $15,000 bonus for wearing a Miami Dolphins hat.

117. koolrepetoire says: Aug 23, 2013 1:34 AM

No pressure No diamonds Tee? Roger that. All in for Week 1 Tee? Roger that. NFL Media lies and says Shanny and RG3 have beef, so to show the NFL Media lies we are on 1 accord twear Operation: Patience and it’s a fine. Alrighty All-mighty Pinnoçhio. You win.

118. billsfan1 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:36 AM

Oh thank god. We need to keep these criminal like behaviors under wraps..I pray to the heavens above as to what would happen had he drank an unsanctioned beverage on the side lines.

bahahahah- this league is such an embarrassment

119. rukkus1 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:34 AM

Good thing we have the clothing nazis or the football field would be total chaos

120. pinoboy73 says: Aug 23, 2013 6:01 AM

These guy’s know what they can, and can’t wear…they just choose to pay the fines. This isn’t just an NFL rule, I think most of us have employers with dress codes.

——————–

Yeah, but my employer doesn’t make boat loads of money for my dress code, as far as I know.

121. crush22 says: Aug 23, 2013 8:06 AM

jimthebuilder27 says:
    Aug 22, 2013 6:07 PM
    God, this guy is a narcissistic clown.

At least Andrew Luck just goes about his business, unlike this guy.

__________________________________

100 “thumbs up” to you sir.
    Luck continues to be the ultimate professional while this guy continues to be a cartoon character.

122. grimmlock42 says: Aug 23, 2013 8:15 AM

To Jakec4:
    Awesome comment. James Harrison would wear it proud.

123. hendawg21 says: Aug 23, 2013 8:41 AM

How stupid of the NFL uniform police, I mean really…I could see if it were during the game and something like this was spotted, but before the game during warm-ups? Get real…btw check your uniform code book and see if it has ear phones and other accessories that players wear while warming up? Is this a no no as well?

I’m not sure who sat down and came up with and how to implement some of these rules, but they really need to rethink how they apply them…I mean it wasn’t like the shirt was obscene or anything.

124. hendawg21 says: Aug 23, 2013 9:04 AM

I see there is a logicalvoice in Baltimore as well….

ravanator says:
    Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

_______________________________

Dude shouldn’t you be getting your school clothes and materials ready for the start of school?

125. cowboyhater says: Aug 23, 2013 9:04 AM

For those on this site defending RG3, I appreciate your thoughts as a longtime DC Pro Football fan, but it’s not necessary. Let these individuals speak, and express their opinions as they see it because it’s free to do so. I will now just wait for the actual season to start, and until then I will chime in on these non DC Pro Football fans and see what their opinions are after each of the games. What cracks me up is the continually high number of comments this kid receives every time there is something written about him. Also, just to let you know, the DC media thrives on dishing out stories about this franchise, so this is generally why you will continue to see stories about our team, while the other media markets don’t have writers and bloggers sitting around their teams training facilities just itching for a story, so it can get posted nationally. It’s just how it’s always been here in DC, but now that social media dominates the news, we seem to get to see it first hand daily on a national level.

126. swizope82 says: Aug 23, 2013 9:18 AM

Can we PLEASE get on with the regular season??? Love the kid but am tired of hearing about his EVERY move… HTTR!

127. gibson34 says: Aug 23, 2013 9:30 AM

can we all move on from RGIII….my lord. I am so sick of the constant coverage for somebody who has done nothing in the NFL. He loves to be the center of attention its pretty obvious and the guy will be out of the league within 5 years as his knees will be bone on bone soon.

they will finish last this year and the whole DC area will be back to their normal skins suck attitudes….lmao.

boys
    giants
    eagles
    red faces….lol

128. steelerben says: Aug 23, 2013 10:50 AM

The Nike endorsement deal with the NFL is worth $1.1 billion dollars. If a popular player wears something that that fan’s are going to want, because they would like to emulate that athlete, on a stage provided by the NFL and Nike is not going to be able to get the money in sales there is friction. The game was nationally televised on ESPN. If out of the few million people that saw it a hundred thousand decide they want to buy that shirt to support RG3 and his return from injury then at $20 a shirt, Nike is looking at losing a potential $2 million in sales.

Griffin has been fined previously for attempting to circumvent the NFL rules on promoting Nike gear because he is sponsored by Adidas. The league has no choice to but apply pressure to him to attempt to stop him from doing so. It is a business. A big business. If the shirt had been made by Nike, but not previously approved by the league for Griffin to wear in pregames, and by virtue of the intense media interest in him be pictured on the internet (like this article), newspapers (if people still read those), magazines (they still make those right?) and local news channels discussing the “controversy, then somehow I doubt the league would have been nearly as concerned about all of the free advertising being given.

129. s0merand0mguy says: Aug 23, 2013 11:00 AM

@gibson34

More like:
    Eagles
    Giants
    Cowboys
    Redskins

Vick is going to shred all of your defenses. He has one of the strongest arms in the NFL and is one of the fastest mobile QB’s of all time. Now that he is focused, sharp, and on point you better believe he will be an entirely new QB. Especially with Chip Kelly a.k.a the football guru. Enjoy Jerry Jones ruining the cowboys franchise and Romo eating up all your cap just to show how terrible he is.

130. harrypairotestes says: Aug 23, 2013 11:26 AM

Don’t agree with the fine but I guess that’s NFLs policy. Not a skin nor a griffin fan but I must say, his passive-aggressive approach to how the team is handling his injury, health, and career is really intersting.

For all of the skin and griffin fans out there, good for you for having such a talented man at QB. He may very well be your answer to your team’s drought at success.

But, let me pose something here to just stir the pot, and I know skin fans will love this. If your man is supposed to be this”great, good, and humble” individual, why all the push and pull with the skins and his coach? I don’t like shanahan but he’s the coach and that is what he’s getting paid for just like you are getting paid to be the QB.

Can someone up there tell griffin that YES, while he may not play any preseason nor the first couple of games, he is, for all intents and purposes, the present and future QB of the skins.

And I do understand that reporters, a lot of times, steer you towards a controversial answer that they are looking for. But whatever happened to just doing your job. I can’t wait for the season to start.

131. harrypairotestes says: Aug 23, 2013 11:44 AM

manilarizzo says:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:52 PM

And you wonder why the hype??? And you keep reading too????

————————————————

WOW, someone who don’t understand the trash talking when it comes to griffin. I’m sorry to say this buddy, but trash talking is a big part of blogs and sites just like this. You come to this site to read about your boy griffin as a lot of people come to read about their favorite team. What makes your comment, as much as it isn’t trash, more sensible and better reading that others? Get over it.

I’m tired of seeing and reading about griffin’s every move, but I come here to read and I have no choice, a lot of times, but to read about him. And that is why I, and a lot of others, comment negatively.

And whoa, you must be a professional judge of character. I don’t know Luck and Wilson but I’m sorry to break it to you, their lack of coverage is helping their so-called “no character” as you blatantly stated, look better and better than griffin’s with his assinine, passive-aggressive moves and comments. Did you read what you wrote before you clicked on submit? YOU are defending the actions and statements of a grown ass man, more than likely making millions of dollars you will never see. A “man” who could care less about you with his “me-first” attitude. “Oh I am just going to follow what the coaches tell me but I am going to wear this shirt to silently protest the way I am not being allowed to play in any preseason games for my own good.” How does that sound?

Gosh, get over yourself. I understand your passion to be a fan but damn, sounds like you got it bad for this dude. Get off his…….

132. koolrepetoire says: Aug 24, 2013 12:03 PM

(bigbluenation)

1) Goofy looking socks
    2) Post his wedding registry on social media
    3) Wear Adidas gear in post game interviews
    5) And now this t-shirt to draw more attention to himself.

IRG3 nothing but a drama queen. He fits in good in the Nations Capital.
    ___________________________________

1. He wore those socks in college where nobody could see them and teamates called that out. It became media attention under his suit while picking up his Heisman Trophy.

2. So? He is a high-profile celebrity.

3. Addidas sponsors him silly.

4. Ultra-competitive QB that is on the same page, thus the T-shirt “Operation: Patience”.

5. Oh, yeah Nike doesn’t sponsor the T-shirt, so he is fined.

When RG3 gets on Saturday Night Live like your goofy QB then let us know. It is coming in only a matter of time.

Didn’t your big-head goofy QB go public with manipulating the NFL Draft because he didn’t want to go to San Diego? Or rather Daddy Archie didn’t want him to go to San Diego? It gets no more of a drama queen than that sir.

Didn’t your bullet-head washed up declining DE Justin Tuck suck up to RG3 post-game after getting beaten by him on prime time TV last year?

Didn’t your former RB Tiki Barber re-define drama queen?

Didn’t your gap-toothed former DE Michael Strahan constantly run his mouth his entire career? Isn’t he now on TV on 2 different TV shows? Make that 3 I mean, that’s doing anything for attention.

Didn’t Osi constantly seek media attention by holding out and getting on camera about him not being paid enough?

Wasn’t L.T. the NFL’ greatest drama queen ever?

Phil Simms went to TV.

Tuna constantly sought more attention than his team.

Dude, hush. The Giants fans could never say nothing about the Redskins 2nd year QB.

Worry about your own long-head goofy pick throwing QB dude.

133. skins1970 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:08 PM

Eli Manning is more of a Media Hog I am so tired of hearing and seeing his and Payton’s dumb rap song.