Report: Dolphins concerned Dion Jordan won’t be ready for opener

AP

Defensive end Dion Jordan won’t play in Saturday’s game against the Buccaneers as he continues to rehab his surgically-repaired right shoulder and Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that concern is growing in the organization that he’ll also be on the sideline for the season opener on September 8.

Per Salguero, there’s discussion about whether it’s better for the team to continue to keep Jordan out of practice in hopes of avoiding another setback with his shoulder. The specific worry is that the pass rushing moves that Jordan will be utilizing will put stress on his shoulder that would lead to further injury. Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said that his hope is that Jordan stays on target for Week One, but admitted that the team is formulating defensive plans that don’t include their top draft pick as well.

“There’s always going to be a plan A, plan B, plan C as you approach the season,” Coyle said. “We have a plan in place to utilize Dion, provided that he’s up and ready to go. I think he’s making strides with his rehab and working with our trainers and strength coaches. So we are ready to implement that plan if in fact we get the green light. If not, we are proceeding as if we wouldn’t have him in another plan. That’s just part of football where a guy goes down you’ve got to have a plan. One person doesn’t necessarily completely alter your game plan, so there are other people who can play the role we originally had planned for Dion as well on the current roster. That won’t keep us out of doing certain things that we think are going to help us win the game.”

Jordan has missed a lot of practice this summer and the Bucs game will make two straight preseason contests that the Dolphins have played without him, a long enough absence that it is hard to believe he’s set to make too big of an impact early in the season even if he does get the go-ahead to play in a couple of weeks.

31 responses to “Report: Dolphins concerned Dion Jordan won’t be ready for opener

  1. Based on how the Bucs have looked so far Miami won’t need Jordan or any other players from the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd strings.

  2. Kid had three pressures in limited play in his first half of NFL football and drew a 15 yard penalty. Clear indication of a BUST.

  3. He’s looked real good but he pushed it a little too fast and reinjured himself.
    Those called him a bust are just trolls that have no clue.

    He’s going to be special, weather it’s the 1st game or not.

  4. Bust?

    Isn’t that the same thing we heard about Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor? How’d that work out?

  5. He had surgery 6 months ago, and was supposed to be ready in three to four months.The Dolphins could have had Jarvis Jones and Eddie Lacy if they didn’t trade up.

  6. Not a Dolphins fan but why would the Dolphins want Eddie Lacy? I’m surprised so many people are calling this guy a bust when there are players who are healthy that are rookies doing a lot worse considering.

  7. Die hard fins fan here but I would have rather had Lane Johnson at 3. Fins own fault for bringing this guy back too early but he did look good vs Dallas.

  8. Why would the Dolphins want Eddie Lacy? I don’t know,maybe because he’s a brute, and going to be one of the best players from this draft.

  9. “hehateme2: He’s going to be special, weather it’s the 1st game or not”

    how is the weather ? I think we all know who is special…

  10. thegreatgabbert says:
    Aug 22, 2013 2:03 PM
    “Dolphins better hope that looks are deceiving. There are no visible indications of brain life on that face.”

    You really should consider changing that name before you speak about brain life.

  11. The Miami organization let their emerging, young, quarterback down when they drafted Dion Jordan. Hopefully, it doesn’t manifest itself with Tannehill on the ground injured… and I’m a Patriots fan.

    It’s no secret that Dion had zero inside-move off the line and it now looks like the arm injury will prevent him from developing a proper one.

  12. bust? the season hasnt even started yet. i dont get it. you people are out of your minds. its even more unbelievable that these “bust” comments are coming from our own fans. yeah lets draft lane johnson, he can really make plays. or eddie lacy, a power back in a league where a power back hasnt had success in 10 years. i sometimes wonder if these morons are watching the same games that I am. dion jordan looked fantastic in the limited time on the field this preseaon. he will be a good if not great ball player. when that happens my fellow dolphans will unfortunately be back on this website chanting ” best pick ever!” what a bunch of imbeciles.

  13. slick50ks says:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:25 PM

    This on a team with no left tackle, or any decent tackle period.

    Another Ireland failure. They’re adding up.
    ———————-
    Wow. Someone better contact Pro Football Focus and alert them because they had Martin rated the #2 best LT so far in preseason, and if I’m not mistaken Tyson Clabo went to the probowl. But what would they know when a blogger makes such a well researched point.

  14. I’m with you @gregoryp3234. The trolls will disappear (like they did when Tannehill proved to be pretty good last year) and the band-wagon Fin fans will deny saying it. Like I stated earlier, I heard the same “bust” talk with ZT and JT. But, since I’m no expert, I leave it up to the coaches and GMs that get paid millions to make decisions.

    Could he be a bust? Sure. Could Lane Johnson be a bust? Sure. No one can say until they actually play the game. Well, except for the clowns that have the crystal ball and know before the players even take a snap. Look how right they all were with Sancheezy. Heck, he was even re-named the Sanchize. Now look how good he……..oh, wait. Never mind.

Leave a Reply