Joe Flacco: I love Ray Lewis, but his speeches didn’t even make sense

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

When Ray Lewis was asking his teammates if any dogs were in the house, Joe Flacco wondered what all the woofing was about.

For the second time this offseason, Flacco has said that while Lewis was a great player and teammate, the pregame speeches that were intended to fire up the locker room often left Flacco feeling more confused than anything else. In March, Flacco said Lewis used to lose him while addressing the team, and now in an interview with ESPN the Magazine, Flacco has said that as he takes more of a leadership role, he’s not leading the way Lewis did.

“That’s not me,” Flacco says. “I love Ray, and I love how he always spoke from the heart, but if you listened to those speeches, a lot of them didn’t even make sense. He meant everything he was saying, but I didn’t know what he was talking about 90 percent of the time.”

Flacco also said that the Ravens had grown too dependent on letting the Lewis-led defense win games, with the offense basically just being tasked with not losing.

“I don’t think they’d won more than one playoff game from the time they won the Super Bowl in 2000 to the time I got there. So we obviously needed to take another step,” Flacco said.

Flacco is right about that: After the 2000 Ravens won the Super Bowl, the 2001 Ravens won one playoff game, and then the Ravens didn’t win any more playoff games until Flacco arrived in the 2008 NFL draft. His arrival put the Ravens over the top, and he sounds confident that he can keep the Ravens on top, even without Lewis’s pregame speeches.

Permalink 176 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
176 Responses to “Joe Flacco: I love Ray Lewis, but his speeches didn’t even make sense”
  1. floratiotime says: Aug 23, 2013 1:01 PM

His brain is ravaged by guilt over the murder he committed years ago. His dreams are probably haunted. Who wouldn’t be incoherent?

2. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 23, 2013 1:03 PM

#REPEAT

dont believe me , just watch!

3. jtbsteeler says: Aug 23, 2013 1:04 PM

Kiss of death.

4. twilson962 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:04 PM

They didn’t make sense to us either.

5. cajunaise says: Aug 23, 2013 1:04 PM

That part about, “Any dogs in the house?” always confused me. Wouldn’t you know if there were just by looking around?

6. papoose059 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:04 PM

Flacco doesn’t come across as someone who would understand the type of analogies Ray Lewis would use..

He might have not understood 90% of them, but 90% of the team did.

7. gumbogumbo says: Aug 23, 2013 1:05 PM

Lol

8. respectgsh says: Aug 23, 2013 1:05 PM

Just not sure what Joe means.

9. flaccodelic says: Aug 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Yet another thing Flacco probably shouldn’t be saying out loud, even if it’s true.

I speak for most of the Ravens fans I know personally who went from really really loving Ray to kind of being ready for him to move on with the crying and the Jesus and whatnot.

10. flash1283 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:07 PM

watch out Joe, you’re going to get stabbed!

11. xLith says: Aug 23, 2013 1:08 PM

I love lamp.

12. ctiggs says: Aug 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Flacco looked terrible last night.

13. patriotinvasion says: Aug 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Well, that’s embarrassing. Whatever, I’m a Pats fan and feel privileged to have watched Ray Lewis throughout his HOF career. Crazy speeches and all.

14. footballradioshow says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM

Joe’s ego bigger than his eyebrow

15. bucrightoff says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM

Don’t worry Joe, no one knows what that self-promoting blow hard is talking about most of the time.

16. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM

That’s ok Joe…I never understood half of what he said either. And to think some network idiot hired him to be on TV.

17. stoytashaan says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM

Joe, it is called mad hood speak. I recently learned the term myself.

18. corkspop says: Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM

This is the best PFT story all week!!!! Really!

19. dlw492 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

So your speeches are much better, Joe?
    Good luck “leading” this team for the first time in your career.
    He’s gonna wish Ray was still there.

20. reesesteel23 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

All of the highlight of his speeches I saw made since to me….and I was sitting on my couch passing gas and working on 12pk number 2

21. 49faithful says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

Notice He waited until after Lewis left the locker room to bring it up..

22. mrcosio says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

Finally someone has the balls to admit something all of us already knew but were too scared to admit.

23. basballguy says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

“I don’t think they’d won more than one playoff game from the time they won the Super Bowl in 2000 to the time Ray Rice got there. So we obviously needed to take another step,” Flacco said.

——————

I went ahead and fixed Joe Flacco’s statement.

24. turk2875 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM

Yea, I’ve been saying for awhile now that he made no sense with his speeches. Just a bunch of yelling and spitting. Brian Dawkins was by far a better motivator when it came to pre-game speeches and as good a leader as Ray Ray. Just my opinion.

25. reesesteel23 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:11 PM

papoose059

Exactly

26. metrocritical says: Aug 23, 2013 1:12 PM

Best headline of the day.

27. steelerben says: Aug 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Well, Ravens fans, this puts you in a bit of a predicament. Joe Flacco has confirmed what many of us Steeler fans have been saying for years. Your move.

28. rubbaz says: Aug 23, 2013 1:14 PM

Time for Lewis to get that white suit out of the closet….

29. gochargersgo says: Aug 23, 2013 1:14 PM

LOL. Think I just started liking Flacco a little bit more.

30. thegoodfight12 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:14 PM

Anybody else picture Ray Lewis in Ultimate Warrior make up ranting about outerspace??

31. johnnybgood19 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM

I forsee a day when they pull 52 down from the ring of honor to make room for 5….

well maybe not/////

32. sarcasm says: Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Get over yourself Joe. What an over-rated, over-paid dork.

33. realfootballfan says: Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Better not be playing like he was last night because that was brutal after that first drive.

34. ireadpftforthecomments says: Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Neither does your contract, Joe.

35. (oYo) Chesticles (oYo) says: Aug 23, 2013 1:16 PM

I was less confused by is incoherent rah rah from the heart pre game speeches than I was watching his half robot half Saturday Night Fever dancing during warm ups

36. captainwisdom8888 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:17 PM

Ray Lewis could have been emphatically shouting pure gibberish, he could have been speaking in tongues with his eyes rolling into the back of his head…it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that he instilled pure fearlessness into his teammates and gave them a confidence going into the game that made them feel like invincible warriors of destiny.

I think Flacco was a bit jealous that the unquestionable leader of the Ravens was not himself.

37. cfeeley52 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:18 PM

footballradioshow says:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:09 PM
    Joe’s ego bigger than his eyebrow
    ——————————————
    hey, he’s done some serious manscaping since his rookie season…

38. bengalsucker says: Aug 23, 2013 1:18 PM

Joe just speakin what everyone else is thinkin. But everyone else is afraid to get shanked for sayin it. Noone understands that hood crap he was yapping. All his “boys” were just hootin and hollering with him. It’ll be Emmitt Smith 2.0 on ESPN when Lewis is on.

39. gochargersgo says: Aug 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Scratch that. Just read the second thing he said. Arrogant douche. News flash Joe, the team doesn’t exactly rely too heavily on you either. You’ve never passed for more than 4000 yards in a time when QBs do it with their eyes closed. Without Lewis in the lineup they won like 4 out of 15 games last year.

40. Max says: Aug 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Without the Raven’s Offense the Ravens will suck, without the Raven’s Defense the Ravens will suck a lot more.

Both sides need each other, but when you think about the Ravens you think about their Defense.

When you think about offense in the NFL you think about teams like Patriots, Saints, Packers and now the Broncos. You don’t think about the Ravens. Yes Ray Rice is dynamic and one of the best back in the NFL. But Ravens remain a 2nd tier offense in the league. Which isn’t a bad thing.

Flacco just being a kid in the neighborhood park, who wants everyone to know that it is his ball their playing with.

41. SouthTexasRaider says: Aug 23, 2013 1:20 PM

LMAO!!!

42. cfeeley52 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:21 PM

turk2875 says:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:10 PM
    ——————————————
    And how many superbowls did Dawkins lead the eagles to? How many superbowls has any eagles captain led the team to? Ouch…

43. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Aug 23, 2013 1:21 PM

Joe, Ray Lewis is one of the best vocal leaders/motivators in NFL history.

This guy would get his players ready to run through a brick wall.

If you say his speeches didn’t make sense, maybe you weren’t listening enough.

44. rajbais says: Aug 23, 2013 1:23 PM

And yet Lewis will be working for ESPN this year???

45. godolphins133499 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:26 PM

Just like I love Ray Lewis, but I still think he’s guilty… Guess ppl love hypocrisy over frankness, just look at Magic taking offense to LeBron giving his personal opinion! Ray your speeches rival those of the pope,its so eargasmic and it makes so much sense!!!!!!!!!!

46. kenstabler says: Aug 23, 2013 1:28 PM

Wow, I know if Michael Vick was QB for the Ravens he would totally understand the phrase “if any dogs were in the house”.

And then the police entered the house.

47. FinFan68 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:29 PM

You were not supposed to listen to Ray Lewis. You were only meant to “hear” him or “feel” him or whatever the proper phrase is nowadays.

48. 64post says: Aug 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Seems every picture of Ray Lewis has his mouth wide open for some reason, loud mouth maybe?

49. 64post says: Aug 23, 2013 1:31 PM

Flacco’s comments should make for some uncomfortable team reunions.

50. lovefootball4life says: Aug 23, 2013 1:33 PM

A Ray Lewis hater article saying the same thing as the one earlier this year. Let’s just let him go already and focus on guys actually playing.

51. patriotsdefense says: Aug 23, 2013 1:34 PM

I now respect Joe Flacco.

52. lovefootball4life says: Aug 23, 2013 1:38 PM

~~~~
    That’s because the Ravens have a running game. It is called a balanced offense. QBs who throw for that much also don’t have much of a running game. Ask any one of them, they’d gladly give up a thousand yards in the air for a decent ground game.

53. krillian says: Aug 23, 2013 1:39 PM

Just don’t understand why so many professional athletes are unguarded with the media in the way they make disparaging comments about their teammates. I’m sure it was tongue-and-cheek, but the media runs with “any” soundbite that will attract interest & feedback.

Joe needs to be the new leader of that team and goofing on the Ravens previous leader the moment he hits the stage is probably ill-advised. Your job as a leader is to bring people together…quotes like Joe’s may do the exact opposite.

54. scoobies05 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:41 PM

just to be clear, joe flacco is not the first raven vet to say this. lots of the guys that had been with ray for a while tuned out on his speeches. it was done mainly for the younger guys. but no one is questioning who the team leader was. and now ray is gone and its time for new leaders to step up. for those that think ray is a killer, educate yourselves. you dont know your facts. and to the poster who brought up the ultimate warrior….funniest thing ive read in a while

55. vgferenzi says: Aug 23, 2013 1:41 PM

I definitely didn’t understand the one where he explained what happened to his white suit.

56. PFT=crap says: Aug 23, 2013 1:41 PM

Joe: I dont even know what that means.
    Ray: Nobody knows what it means, but its provocative!

57. matterson20 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:43 PM

I’m just glad Flacco shaved his unibrow.

58. southpaw2k says: Aug 23, 2013 1:45 PM

godolphins133499 says:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:26 PM

—————————————————

I am at a loss to understand how anyone can still think Ray Lewis is guilty when the two other (non-celebrity) defendants in that trial were both found not guilty on the grounds of self-defense. How does that fact escape everyone else when they bring the subject up?

As for Joe, he knew that as long as Ray Lewis was in Baltimore he’d be second fiddle at best. He also knew that with so many outspoken and loud personalities on the team (Lewis, Reed, Suggs, etc), the best counterpart would be a quiet leader on offense. Now the Ravens are his team, but he has the support of guys like Ray Rice, Suggs, Ngata, Webb, and Torrey Smith to back him up if anyone acts out of line.

59. indytom87 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Speeches? His deposition didn’t make sense either.

60. melikefootball says: Aug 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Good luck ESPN and fare well.

61. loucella1 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:49 PM

I can’t believe he just said that…… really?

62. vwbrown19 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:50 PM

One of Ray Lewis favorite terms was “No weapons” but as I recall there was a knife.

63. letemplay says: Aug 23, 2013 1:51 PM

Joe is a bit of a goofball, (but wait, I thought he was super boring!!??) He does in fact start off by saying how highly he thinks of Ray.

I kind of agree with him. He was one of the most dominant players I’ve ever seen play, but sometimes, I would find myself shaking my head and rolling my eyes, thinking, Ray, you do know that God really doesn’t care if we win or lose this football game right? He’s got bigger fish to fry.

64. dcboltsfan says: Aug 23, 2013 1:52 PM

wtf is he talking about? So, now Joe flucking Flacco doesn’t understand slang filled emotional analogies. Way to douche it up Joe!

65. bmoreravens1012013 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:53 PM

I don’t understand 90% of what Flacco is thinking when he plays well for half a season.

66. cmcclain16 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:53 PM

Well no one expects Joe to understand Ray for the simple fact you don’t even understand the rules of football. If a player breaks a kickoff you can’t run off the sidelines and tackle him Joe.
    P.S I’m also convinced you don’t understand coverages either

67. bighurt228 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:53 PM

I’m sure Ray Ray the hypocrite is not going to be liking what he hears as he preps for his new gig on ESPN. Maybe those were the dogs barking when the sheriffs were hunting him down after the murders?? We better hope ole Joe (big bucks) Flunko doesn’t make fun of that douchy squirrelly dance the pastor use to do before a game. Maybe this is a ploy by the FBI, and Flunko to piss off the hypocrite soooo much , that he dons the white suit, and comes after him!! Then we can finally solve the 2 murders??

68. bmoreravens1012013 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:54 PM

Watch it Flacco. Ray is a first time hof’er . You haven’t even sniffed a probowl so be easy young buck.

69. daroc88 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:55 PM

Well Joe, in all fairness you are from Delaware. Having been a resident there for the past two years, I’m not surprised that you aren’t able to comprehend and respond to any voice that doesn’t resemble a bagpipe being built into one’s nostrils.

70. facetooth says: Aug 23, 2013 1:59 PM

Joe Flacco? More like Joe Plaque-o. Terrible teeth on that guy!

71. 25cuts says: Aug 23, 2013 1:59 PM

Hilarious opening line to the article….flacco not real big on lingo I see.

72. udontknowjaq says: Aug 23, 2013 1:59 PM

captainwisdom8888 says: Aug 23, 2013 1:17 PM

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha!!

73. wikipediasaidso says: Aug 23, 2013 2:00 PM

Awesome. This was almost as good as the Wes Welker foot reference-laden interview. (But not quite.)

74. bighurt228 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:03 PM

As a longtime fan of the NFL, and someone who enjoys the integrity of sports and its announcers, I pledge here to STOP watching ESPN for as long as this accessory to murder is sitting at a desk. I hope millions of other sport fans join me to send ESPN a message, that we are not fooled by the stations hypocrisy!! The BOYCOTT will commence immediately, until ESPN has a change of heart. What’s next?? Do we get Hernandez to do color segments from his jail cell?? And we thought Goodell was the only one ruining the game as we knew it!!

75. brassknuckles47 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:04 PM

Ray never made any sense, especially after his visit to Atlanta. But, he sure do look good in the gloves I lent him.

~OJ

76. ambitoos says: Aug 23, 2013 2:07 PM

LOL. Yea but man could he play.

77. bighurt228 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:09 PM

Imagine sailing the Nantucket Bay on the Three Rings with ole Bill Belichick and Joe Flunko for a weekend of sport fishing??
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I’d rather paint my house……….!!

78. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:10 PM

Not sure what joes talking about. When ray actually gives a speech, he’s great. The one where he’s talking to the kids at elon is one of the most motivating things I’ve ever heard about work ethic and achieving goals.

When joe was more quiet he came off as dull. The more he talks the dumber he seems. I prefer he just stay dull.

-ravens fan

79. raiderman81 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:10 PM

Hypocrites usually ramble and don’t make any sense. Glad someone from the team finally came out and said it.

80. godofwine330 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:11 PM

Whether they make sense or not they motivated the men and that is all that matters. My boss now all he does is tear people down. Do you think we work hard for him? No, but the men played hard for Ray Lewis. I have heard players say that they didn’t want to let Ray down. There are leaders of men and there are managers, and all managers cannot and were not meant to lead. Many aren’t fit to lead people to the cafeteria, much less on the job. Ray had that ability to lead men and motivate them to follow his lead.

Joe Flacco could have and should have kept this to himself. There was no need to share it. When the team hits the skids this year Joe is going to wish he had Ray Lewis there to pick up the pieces and begin to put them back together. The coach only can do so much, you need a leader among the players to give the guys the extra push. The Ravens will sorely miss that this year. Bet on it.

81. raybguilty says: Aug 23, 2013 2:12 PM

Uh oh. Flacco should have saved that for his
    death bed.

82. baltimoresnativeson says: Aug 23, 2013 2:12 PM

I’m a big Ray Lewis fan but even I can admit he rambled more and more in his twilight years. Joe is spot on.

83. salmen76 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Ray Lewis was and is, well, a little around the bend! But he is a hell of a leader. Joe Flacco is a good QB but he couldn’t lead a fox to a hen house. So good luck with that one Ravens fans! Ha Ha! Geaux Saints!

84. briang123 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Sounds like there is some Riley Cooper in those remarks. Unlike Cooper, Flacco was smart enough to leave himself wiggle room for denial.

And, Flacco is not from Delaware, he is from Audubon, New Jersey, which is just across the bridge from Philly.

85. golynxgo says: Aug 23, 2013 2:16 PM

Lewis should be in Prison

86. fredbull337 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:23 PM

How do you get confused by “peel his muffin cap back blue?”

87. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Flacco’s had some really great speeches this off-season:
    1) making fun of participants of the special olympics
    2) “I got a lot of money and will get plenty more”
    3) and now, “I’m the reason we won all those playoff games….me!”

You’ve found a gem, Oz.

88. heyzeus143 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:27 PM

Joe Flacco – always the life of the party.

89. citizenstrange says: Aug 23, 2013 2:27 PM

You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind! — Young Frankenstein

90. alphaq2 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:29 PM

When it all goes down, and it gets funky like a monkey baby; We gotta reach deep deep down inside into our inner potato salad and we gotta put up for each others shoe lases. Praise Jesus…or something like that.

91. ravishingrickrude says: Aug 23, 2013 2:34 PM

How much money will Pastor Ray make doing his “heart felt” schtick all around the country this season?

Respect for the eyebrow for saying what most people think.

92. pisano says: Aug 23, 2013 2:35 PM

I wonder if he and his buddies were praising Jesus after they whacked that guy, just a thought.

93. raybguilty says: Aug 23, 2013 2:38 PM

wow briang123 you could ruin a lottery ticket winner party with your whiny thin skinned
    post. How about mentioning the 89 year old
    that was beat to death or the guy who was just
    set on fire????

94. historyisyourfriend says: Aug 23, 2013 2:39 PM

Flacco next up for “Walking the Green Mile” with Ray guiding him…

95. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 23, 2013 2:49 PM

In the end I guess only football matters, when you’re talking about football

You guys are like a bunch of little girls on tmz or twitter or something

In language you understand:

#SBchamps

96. espnfeedback says: Aug 23, 2013 2:49 PM

.love or hate ray lewis..his bigger than life personality…his boisterous nature..his dance…his off the field issues…one thing was certain…and flacco obviously doesn’t get this…ray lewis’ ‘speeches’ started each week early monday or tuesday morning before the sun was up..watching film…being the first in the facility..the first in the weight room..the first to congratulate or criticize his teammates…playing through injuries that many wouldnt even attempt to …then the first to have teammates over for dinner….and watch more film…..every single year for 15 seasons…as loud and as rambling as joe thinks ray was when e spoke…his actions spoke even louder….he lived it!…
    that’s what they believed in….that’s what they followed

97. raybguilty says: Aug 23, 2013 2:50 PM

In all fairness, the Ravens would not have
    won the Super Bowl without Flacco. Not saying
    he’s worth the contract, but the offense dwarfed the defense last year and lit up the scoreboard in the playoffs. Ray Rice was key in the regular season but Flacco was the key in the playoffs.

98. lovefootball4life says: Aug 23, 2013 2:52 PM

crownofthehelmet says: Aug 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Flacco’s had some really great speeches this off-season:
    1) making fun of participants of the special olympics
    2) “I got a lot of money and will get plenty more”
    3) and now, “I’m the reason we won all those playoff games….me!”

You’ve found a gem, Oz.
    ——————————
    Compared to Ben’s
    (1) Doing his Mark Sanchez impression – we have no leadership issues in the locker room, I am the leader, coach told me so
    (2) I want the most super bowls of any QB, and I want the rest of my team to cover up my awful play through those too
    (3) Me and Haley are like, totally, BFFs now
    (4) After seeing his O line and stilled position players “My knee hurts”

99. southpaw2k says: Aug 23, 2013 2:53 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Aug 23, 2013 2:24 PM
    Flacco’s had some really great speeches this off-season:
    1) making fun of participants of the special olympics
    2) “I got a lot of money and will get plenty more”
    3) and now, “I’m the reason we won all those playoff games….me!”

You’ve found a gem, Oz.

——————————————–

1. He didn’t make fun of Special Olympics participants. He said the idea of playing the Super Bowl in a cold weather city was “retarded,” and immediately corrected himself, knowing the offensive nature of his comment.

2. Wrong again. He gambled on his skills, knowing he could be worth more than what the Ravens had originally offered him prior to last season. It paid off for Flacco since he won a championship, which meant the Ravens had to pony up the cash. He certainly isn’t the first player in NFL history to gamble like that, and he won’t be the last either.

3. Mucked that one up too. He merely said the Ravens hadn’t been able to get far in the playoffs between 2001 and 2008. He wasn’t saying he was the reason the Ravens finally won a playoff game, but the team clearly needed to do something to be competitive. Like say, bring in a new head coach and staff in addition to drafting a QB.

Aside from all that, you’re spot on.

100. wallacejay says: Aug 23, 2013 2:53 PM

Too much deer antler spray

101. si1m says: Aug 23, 2013 2:58 PM

you can tell how many jealous haters the Ravens have just by reading these comments.

Big deal, he said his speeches didn’t make sense. We all thought it, even us Ravens fans.

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t effective because it was. Doesn’t have to make sense – just has to WORK.

Hate on, ye fans of irrelevant teams.

102. cglacius says: Aug 23, 2013 2:58 PM

Its called, I have been jealous the whole time that you could lead the team and I couldn’t. Flacco thinks he wonthe superbowl by himself……he is a marginal qb surrounded by good role players on offense and a great defense….a few yrs ago, there were wispers of bust……you will see this year how good he really is…..

103. ravensbosslady says: Aug 23, 2013 3:00 PM

What I have always respected about the Ravens is their ability to stick together and not hate on each other..they’re one unit, one team..now here comes this inflated blowhard..joe, you did your thing in the playoffs and it led to the Superbowl…but this comment makes me wonder if it is the reason you were playing half ass before the playoffs? Because you couldn’t understand what ray was saying? Let’s not forget we made it in because other teams lost, you didn’t carry us into the playoffs…or are you sore that they rallied around him to get it done and not you? Nice comments after the fact..you looked real good last night as the leader…love the ravens, but a fan of yours? NOT after this garbage comment..

104. fdugrad says: Aug 23, 2013 3:03 PM

OK, lets review: He danced like that Geico lizard on mushrooms, painted his face to resemble a warlord, and talked in tongues, along the lines of Jimmy Swaggert. All of this and I mean ALL of this is more understandable compared to him mangling ANYTHING that requires even the faintest familiarity with the English language, especially if it takes dealing with is, are, was, were . As for adverb vs adjective usage, well, ESPN had better be prepared for a great deal of : “We was playing “aggressive” during that game.” It is a complete mystery contemplating the decision to hire this man to pursue a career in communication.

105. breadslicer says: Aug 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Aaaaand…I just gained a little respect for Flacco.

106. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 23, 2013 3:04 PM

@southpawk-spindoctor

1. you’re right, very offensive.
    2. didn’t bring anything up him getting paid, just how he talked about all “his money and how he’ll get more.” Gambling on yourslef is confidence, talking about it is egotistical.
    3. ““I don’t think they’d won more than one playoff game from the time they won the Super Bowl in 2000 to the time I got there.” If that’s not taking credit, I don’t know what is.

107. metalhead65 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:08 PM

what did he say that was so wrong?he did not say what lewis did was wrong only that he did not understand anything he said. he said that nobody should expect him to be that type of leader because that is not who he is. where’s the problem? just letting everyone know they will not be hearing any of that rah rah say anything nonsense from him. if they need him to lead them like lewis did then they are in trouble.

108. lawchick35 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:18 PM

WOW, Ray Lewis is retired, and you idiots are still taking shots at him. I loved ray’s speeches, and NO RAVENS fans can speak for me.

109. hehateme2 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:23 PM

That’s what was so funny with the “press cards” given out by the jets.

Clearly written by one not from the hood and you know, using proper grammar, etc.
    It will be a riot to hear those words coming out of some of their players mouths.

Can’t wait!

110. lawchick35 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:23 PM

Reading these comments, it’s interesting to see how lots of you “I’m A Ravens Fans” have turned your back on Ray. Now that he’s retired, you nuts really show your colors. I wish Ray was still playing.

111. thetruthcampaign says: Aug 23, 2013 3:25 PM

Flacco will be the biggest fail of this season.

112. mikejonesforum says: Aug 23, 2013 3:29 PM

I love you, BUT… is never a sign of a good and healthy relationship.

113. scoobies05 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:35 PM

sit this one out crown. between the best of ben and woodley’ predictions the steelers are high up on the ridiculous comment meter. and again folks….the killers were found not guilty due to self defense. theres no mystery here

114. ogbobbydeas says: Aug 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Joe Flacco’s star will be in freefall in 5-4-3-2-1……BOOM !!! TEAMATES DONT LIKE YOU

115. ringheadcrusher says: Aug 23, 2013 3:38 PM

Barbasol, that speech may have been motivating but personaly I’d rather my kids never get within 5 miles of Ray Lewis, much less sit in the same room with him and listen to anything he has to say. Go ahead, call me what you will. I’m just being honest about it.

116. ampatsisahypocrite says: Aug 23, 2013 3:42 PM

Yep, Ray’s gone, and for Joe and the Ravens fan base, time he went from “the emotional leader whose presence we couldn’t win without” to “eh, we don’t need him anyway his best days were behind him”. Now even his speeches are being ripped on as irrelevant. Oh my! What’s next, saying the pre-game Ray-Ray Chicken Dance was stupid or something? Say it isn’t so Joe! (And help yourself to another 120 mil earned by the rest of your team for you.)

117. ringheadcrusher says: Aug 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Ray’s personal moral fiber and more-than-questionable violent criminal conduct aside, there’s nothing to see here. His “speeches” did exactly what they were supposed to – get the blood flowing and get his teammates fired up. He wasn’t there for a poetry reading.

118. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 23, 2013 3:46 PM

Allow me to translate it for you, Joe. Here is what Ray meant:

“I didn’t do it!”

119. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 23, 2013 3:52 PM

Imagine him giving you fatherly advice through one of his rambling speeches. At the end of the speech you say, “Thanks for the advice, but I’m not your child.” And he’s frustrated because he can’t keep track of all of his kids by all those women. I wonder if he’s spending more time with all of his kids. If he is, then he must be racking up frequent flyer miles. Saint Ray!

120. johninthewest says: Aug 23, 2013 4:00 PM

Over rated=Flacco.

121. @Cereal_22 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:02 PM

The Ravens have always had tight locker rooms b/c Ozzie drafts guys who are not selfish & love the game, the bond is easy. This is a non-story

122. urbusted2 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:02 PM

Joe, the man responsible for Ray’s speech making prowess is Professor Irwin Corey. ( Google him if you’re familiar..funny man )

123. inallsincerity says: Aug 23, 2013 4:14 PM

Audubon, New Jersey- At the 2010 United States Census, there were 8,819 people, 3,600 households, and 2,293 families residing in the borough. The population density was 5,925.7 inhabitants per square mile (2,287.9 /km2). There were 3,779 housing units at an average density of 2,539.2 per square mile (980.4 /km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 95.23% (8,398) White, 1.44% (127) Black or African American, 0.14% (12) Native American, 1.13% (100) Asian, 0.01% (1) Pacific Islander, 0.91% (80) from other races, and 1.15% (101) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.29% (290) of the population.

First of all, a white guy from the ‘burbs not able to comprehend hood lingo is not unusual. Secondly, it is completely understandable if “Low Joe” Flacco said Ray rambled a bit, but to say he didn’t make sense is disrespectful and doesn’t make sense. 51 other guys understood but he didn’t? Thirdly, when you consider that severely underthrown ball, he might want to put Rahim Moore on his Xmas list. Fourthly, he’s not very humble, as I recall he won the starting QB job by default, as Troy Smith got sick. Finally, his Super Bowl performance wasn’t that impressive either, when the only significant things he did was audible out of a few plays and throw the ball up for grabs to Anquan Boldin. Those plays were made because of Boldin’s receiving prowess, not because Flacco placed the ball in a tight window. To preserve that SB victory, the Ravens had to hang their hats on that Ray Lewis-led defense…AGAIN. Just sayin’…

124. gochargersgo says: Aug 23, 2013 4:20 PM

No matter what how Ravens’ fans want to dress it up, Flacco just suggested that hes more important to the team than Ray Lewis ever was. How else are you supposed to interpret that second comment? “Ray led the defense, but clearly that wasn’t enough until I got here”. Guy has a hell of an attitude.

125. denbronx says: Aug 23, 2013 4:21 PM

wearethechampsandyourenot says:Aug 23, 2013 1:03 PM

#REPEAT

dont believe me , just watch!

71 – 434

————————————————–

Comment Hidden Due To Low Rating

126. wallacejay says: Aug 23, 2013 4:22 PM

I can’t wait to see Flacco’s version of the squirrel dance!

127. tindeaux says: Aug 23, 2013 4:23 PM

at least he won a superbowl and now talks craps. unlike that dude in san fran, making lots of noise and hasn’t won jacks

128. grudenthediva says: Aug 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Flacco’s getting credit for jumping on a guy after the play is over. Looks like he learned at least one thing from Ray Ray.

129. endzone says: Aug 23, 2013 4:29 PM

Admit it. Hate Ray Lewis or Love Ray Lewis, he got your attention and you stopped what you were doing to watch him. He was entertaining! We can all probably agree about that. That’s why ESPN hired him.

130. chas88 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:32 PM

I can’t stand Joe Flacco or the Ravens, but I thought this was hilarious!

131. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 23, 2013 4:34 PM

Anybody who thinks WHAT Ray Lewis said was anywhere near as relevant as the passion with which he spoke or the confidence he exuded or the excitement he was creating, obviously doesn’t know much about rallying the troops. I bet ol’ Joe never had the balls to Lewis to his face that his speeches didn’t make sense.

Ps. Are there any dogs in the house is metaphorical folks. Like, “You can take the dog out of the fight but you can’t take the fight out of the dog”. Dogs are instinctual, primal, predators. That’s what Ray Lewis was asking…. Damn, and I thought QB’s were supposed to be the smart ones?

132. basedrum777 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:40 PM

I’m pretty sure FINFAN just referenced white men can’t jump.

133. mackcarrington says: Aug 23, 2013 4:41 PM

These are the all-time funniest comments EVER !!!

134. nygiants4rings says: Aug 23, 2013 4:45 PM

“Flacco says. “I love Ray, and I love how he always spoke from the heart, but if you listened to those speeches, a lot of them didn’t even make sense”

LOL entirely true, but this unnecessary talk just divides a team.

135. noring4youstill says: Aug 23, 2013 4:50 PM

How bout that elite showing last night Joe?

136. TheWizard says: Aug 23, 2013 4:53 PM

…you will see this year how good he really is…..

The team that won it all has been dismantled.

If they rip off a bad year, there’s your reason.

137. jmblosser82 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:54 PM

Flacco is overrated and overpaid. Lewis tried to cover up 2 killings, weather he did it or knew it was going to happen only he can say, and we know he isn’t talking. People hate on Ben, but there was never charges against him. He is injured a lot but that I line hasn’t been able to block a wet towel fir the last 3-4 years. His team has a win % of .690 when he plays, nothing to laugh at. He was above average in all of his seasons that lead to a superbowl appearances, he totally tanked against Seattle, off to a slow start against Arizona, and kept his team in it against Green Bay.
    Jose’s skill did not carry this team to the playoffs last year, he was rather horrid in a lot of games. He did have an outstanding playoff run but his 2 security blankets are gone. The first team offense has yet to look good this preseason, but with that defense I can see a 9 win season. I can see both the ravens and patriots sitting at home this seasons playoffs.

138. sillec28 says: Aug 23, 2013 4:56 PM

If I didn’t understand what someone meant when they said something, like if they said “are there any dogs in the house,” and I didn’t know what they meant, I’d say “Ray, what’s that mean?” Not right before the game of course but maybe over a beer or at the next practice. Seems kind of obvious to me but then I’m not an NFL QB making millions of dollars a year.

139. tedmurph says: Aug 23, 2013 5:00 PM

Not a fan of Lewis’ BS, and his leadership always seemed to come out when he was sure the cameras were poised( great player on the field). Still, good or bad, it’s Flacco’s team now. He’s not a leader, and statements like that prove it. No reason to say that. Great playoff run, but IMO Flacco’s contract is gonna be a great GM’s biggest mistake.

140. originalsteelcurtain says: Aug 23, 2013 5:01 PM

Flacco not understanding Ray-Ray the G.O.A.T. 90% of the time is better than the 100% of the time I didn’t understand him.

Hopefully, Ray-Ray the G.O.A.T. won’t ‘earn” a job as an NFL talking head.

141. donth8thehorns says: Aug 23, 2013 5:01 PM

If flaccid flacco loves Ray so much, why doesn’t he marry him????

142. demjoneses says: Aug 23, 2013 5:09 PM

That’s the beauty of language, you don’t have to understand the words to get the message. Flacco should be happy the D got the message. Yall can all hate on Lewis but that dude would get me pumped up, did yall listen to his intro on Madden 13? I personally wouldn’t care if he did the hokey pokey before games if he was going to play lights out like he did EVERY GAME and by doing the hokey pokey the rest of the defense stepped their game up a couple of notches.

Give me the guy who doesn’t make sense but can make the rest of a unit play better over the guy who makes all the sense in the world but can’t inspire. Some of you guys nit pick like a naggy girlfriend.

143. northstarnic says: Aug 23, 2013 5:18 PM

Love it. Not convinced flacco is much above average as a QB, but this is funny. Lewis is windbag bonehead of a killer.

144. sgtsmitty2013 says: Aug 23, 2013 5:18 PM

Pissed Off for Greatness!!

145. itsfootballbaby says: Aug 23, 2013 5:19 PM

At least he’s willing to admit it. The rest of the players that had no clue what Ray was talking about wouldn’t dare say so.

146. eamadden00 says: Aug 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Ray Lewis = Ultimate Warrior in WWF

lol

147. granadafan says: Aug 23, 2013 5:50 PM

I picture Ray Lewis giving his fiery speeches as a combination of a WWE wrestler, Tim Tebow with constant references to God/Jesus/Bible/ onward Christian soldiers, and Mike Tyson using multisyllabic words that make no sense in the context of the speech. Everyone gets excited and yells, but walks away shrugging their shoulders.

148. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 23, 2013 5:52 PM

scoobies05 says:
    Aug 23, 2013 3:35 PM

0 0 I am sitting this one out…but I feel your embarrassment … Hate Ray, but respect his leadership record with our arch rival….I respect your dedication, but think its time to sit it out. Let Ray just fade away until his HOF induction.

149. leatherhelmets says: Aug 23, 2013 5:58 PM

Just give Joe and Ray their own TV show.
    A remake of the odd couple.

Call it…. Awkward

150. newjerseygiants says: Aug 23, 2013 6:09 PM

And just think, ESPN is PAYING good ‘ole Ray for his insightful commentary. And speaking of his Jesus stuff, did you know that Lewis never gave a single dime to his own charity? What a joke this clown is.

151. warhammer420 says: Aug 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Ever since I suffered severe brain trauma, Ray’s speeches started to make sense!

152. faithlessheathen says: Aug 23, 2013 6:10 PM

Must have been all that Deer Antler spray…

153. holeinone09 says: Aug 23, 2013 6:28 PM

Steeler fan here. I respected Ray Lewis as a football player and motivator. Joe Flacid made a totally dumb comment he will now have to live with in the locker room and with mnay Ravens fans. Watch for the “My comment was taken out of context” followup. Just dumb.

154. whiningpatriotfans says: Aug 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Patriot killer

155. pabulone says: Aug 23, 2013 6:57 PM

What happened to if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all……no matter what he said and how inane it sounded he was a teammate and teammates don’t diss teammates!

156. bert1913 says: Aug 23, 2013 6:59 PM

the singer james brown couldn’t understand ray either

157. mwatts1 says: Aug 23, 2013 7:10 PM

@wearethechampsandyourenot says:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:03 PM
    #REPEAT

dont believe me , just watch!

——-

Not sure why you think people care about your opinion there random dude on a post…..

158. gatorguru says: Aug 23, 2013 7:23 PM

Being that Ray is borderline illiterate,I’m with Joe.By the way,Ray couldn’t carry Dick Butkus’ jock with a wheelbarrow.

159. bonniebengal says: Aug 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Don’t understand the point of Flacco dissing Lewis. Makes no sense to me.

160. dec1956 says: Aug 23, 2013 7:38 PM

Whatever he said, it worked Joe! Any real football fan know that Lewis was 90% of the Ravens! U take away Lewis, these guys struggle to be playing .500 ball. Lewis were their juice, so to speak. Joe’s like a quaker, he’s not outspoken, nor should he be, but he could never replace Lewis as a motivator in the locker room, and I’m sure, the Ravens would tell you the same. Joe should thank his lucky stars for Lewis, it’s why this Top 15 QB’s is ,making the big bucks! He’s not that hot demand list, as far as a QB in the elite. He QB’d at Delaware, he could’nt even start for Pitt.

161. dec1956 says: Aug 23, 2013 7:43 PM

Butkus, could’nt come close to the athletes of today! Don’t fool yourself. For one thing, he’s only be able to play a few positions, due to the size of these athletes today! You’re speaking of morality of course. Not pure talent. Butkus would do a 5.2 in the 40 yard dash today. He’d be lucky if he made it as a slow FB or TE, as far as a LB, hell no, too slow!

162. bighurt228 says: Aug 23, 2013 8:32 PM

Red light Ray was a blow hard, self hyping phony who admitted to obstruction of justice and ditching the bloody white suit. To this day it hasn’t been found. Red light Ray doesn’t understand that all the self promoting, praying and crying, still won’t get him into and beyond the pearly gates. How ESPN can LOWER themselves and associate their station to this baboon is beyond me. This is a story about a face painting, blow hard who retired about 2 years too late as we witnessed from his loss of about 2 steps on the field. Most teams didn’t exploit it maybe not wanting him to look bad. As a fan, I’m happy he and his squirrel dance are long gone. I will switch to the Fox network, as most of my friends will, as we BOYCOTT ESPN for hiring someone of such low standards!!

163. gatorguru says: Aug 23, 2013 10:05 PM

@dec1956,

You are clueless. Butkus was 6′ 4″,245 and could run before his knees went.Feared by the offense,check out his picks and vicious hits.Ray made a lot of tackles downfield this year.

164. watermelon1 says: Aug 24, 2013 3:42 AM

So flacco has 4 good games in a row… After 5 seasons of the same underperforming stuff…

And he thinks he deserves a huge contract that exiles much better talent than himself.

Then he thinks he can insult Ray Lewis?!?

Flacco… The ravens might be okay going forward. But you won’t!

Notice how the defense didn’t give up a touchdown, but your offense gave up three against the panthers.

165. bearsoxass says: Aug 24, 2013 5:06 AM

He was a fake ! Cheap preacher!

166. johnnytarr says: Aug 24, 2013 12:20 PM

If you use the term “haters” you risk being thought of as a teenage prissy girl. Fair Warning.

167. harbourimages says: Aug 24, 2013 1:45 PM

Hey Ray, do you drive to work or take your lunch?

168. bighurt228 says: Aug 25, 2013 2:12 AM

It also doesn’t make any sense why the great wizard handed you 120 as an average QB. We all know in a year or two the cap hit will implode this rag tag bunch and the great Oz may have to answer a few questions. It will take a decade for the ratbirds to compete due to this anchor of a contract they will be saddled with.

169. orivar says: Aug 25, 2013 2:25 AM

I remember I used to argue with friends over who gave the best speeches. They were team Lewis and I was with Brian Dawkins the entire way. Lewis was passionate but Brian Dawkins made sense enough to make me mad!

170. lovefootball4life says: Aug 25, 2013 11:11 PM

Quarterback is a cerebral position but linebacker is visceral. That’s the difference. Listen to a Lewis speech. It’s not what he says it’s how he says it.

171. tommyturbo1969 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:39 AM

why would you even go there

172. radrntn says: Aug 26, 2013 3:58 PM

well all i can say is just looking at lewis on tv, kind of fired you up…almost like looking at the whites of mike singletary eyes….so now that Flacco is the new leader, I am curious to see where “his style” leads them…..time will tell, but i don’t think it will be the same place where Ray led them.

173. onwisc0nsin says: Aug 28, 2013 12:18 AM

What? Over? Did you say ‘over’? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!…

174. kingpel says: Aug 28, 2013 4:23 AM

This article reminds of the story about the Emperor’s New Clothes. Everybody talked like Ray was saying something powerful and insightful and then one guy speaks the truth and we all laugh.

175. fmc651 says: Aug 29, 2013 5:21 PM

Joe this surprises no one. It wasn’t about what he was saying it was about him being in front of the team. ME ME ME. Your team was full of weak men that never told Ray to tone it down.
    His entrance to every game was an embarrassment.

176. i10east says: Aug 30, 2013 11:00 AM

“Joe is wrong, Ray’s pregame speeches made plenty of sense”

Signed- Drew Brees