JaMarcus Russell’s knee, weight gain slow comeback

JaMarcus+Russell+Oakland+Raiders+v+Denver+FdBbt2gOGkDl Getty Images

At a time when failed former first-rounders such as Matt Leinart can find work, many are wondering why JaMarcus Russell can’t find a place to continue his comeback attempt.

The answer appears to be that he’s not keeping the weight off.

According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, Russell has gained back some of the 51 pounds he lost while training this offseason.

A sore knee has doubtless contributed to the weight gain, as swelling has kept him from working out the way he had before.

Russell has a big frame, and has always leaned toward looking soft. But if he can’t keep it off at a time when he’s working on a last chance, that chance may never come.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “JaMarcus Russell’s knee, weight gain slow comeback”
  1. firestarter0728 says: Aug 25, 2013 9:50 PM

Trouble is, he’s just as soft in the head as he is in the gut.

2. ryann252013 says: Aug 25, 2013 9:51 PM

I may

3. hailskins94 says: Aug 25, 2013 9:52 PM

Why doesn’t he just switch to left tackle? He’ll get to eat all he wants and wont have to worry about not being able to throw a football.

4. icdogg says: Aug 25, 2013 9:52 PM

Surprise, surprise

5. goraidersgospurs says: Aug 25, 2013 9:55 PM

he just does not have his heart in it & teams just dont want him!!

6. ryann252013 says: Aug 25, 2013 9:56 PM

Oops, stupid phone.

I may be the only one to say this but I have respect for the guy, his documentary on espn showed how much this guys gone through in his life and I can honestly respect that. On that note I think it’s time for Jamarcus to search for a new career, he won’t have to worry about what people think about him and can support his family. And I certainly wish the kid the best in whatever endeavors he decides to partake in; in his future.

7. fordmandalay says: Aug 25, 2013 9:56 PM

“I’m shocked that JaMarcus wasn’t able to show enough self-control to keep in shape while attempting his last chance at a comeback in the NFL!!” – said no one, ever.

8. kenstabler says: Aug 25, 2013 9:59 PM

9. southwood420 says: Aug 25, 2013 10:00 PM

The weight gain is because they started making Twinkies again. He can’t help himself they are just so fluffy and good he wants to be just like a Twinkie.

10. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 25, 2013 10:00 PM

Well if JR is serious and no NFL team will provide him the necessary resources then he needs to take it upon himself to find the right mentor to help him if it’s that important to him.

11. rhabdodontidae says: Aug 25, 2013 10:02 PM

“many are wondering why JaMarcus Russell can’t find a place to continue his comeback attempt.”

Well, maybe you are.

I’m not.

12. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 25, 2013 10:08 PM

What in Earth did others see in him that I missed?
    After his first 6 or 8 games, I knew without a doubt that he’d never make it in the NFL.
    I never saw any awareness, ability to recognize different defensive looks, accuracy in his throws, anything.
    So he can throw a field goal from his knees. Is that all it takes?
    The guy had nothing.
    And he was a fat moron to boot.

Move on…

13. bcajun says: Aug 25, 2013 10:10 PM

J-E-T-S

14. bombayjon says: Aug 25, 2013 10:13 PM

So over it. I just took my Russell jersey in to have the nameplate changed to Pryor. I can finally wear that jersey with pride again.

15. mackcarrington says: Aug 25, 2013 10:24 PM

@kenstabler says: There is a tie for worst Raider draft pick with Todd Marinovich. Also it is uncanny how similar both of their off-field paths were.

16. sportfan2 says: Aug 25, 2013 10:35 PM

JaMarcus the Jaloser,

I never could understand how the Raiders could be so wrong about his overall lack of talent.

17. packfan0492 says: Aug 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Make him a lineman.

18. raiders85 says: Aug 25, 2013 10:37 PM

Just the sight of Jawalrus makes me sick

19. watchfullhose says: Aug 25, 2013 10:42 PM

He doesn’t want to play football – he wants to get paid like he plays football.

20. chazatlas says: Aug 25, 2013 10:46 PM

I like to see when a guy can resurrect himself in life but considering his gameplay & work ethic history, physical softness and now a bum knee- doesn’t look promising.

21. kenstabler says: Aug 25, 2013 10:46 PM

Yes, probably a tie between Tweeker Marinovich and Fat Boy Russell. Agreed (mackcarrington).

22. kenstabler says: Aug 25, 2013 11:13 PM

Where is the next Jim Plunkett/Rich Gannon. Why can’t the castoffs of today, become great players?

23. pooflingingmonkey says: Aug 25, 2013 11:16 PM

JaCarcuss would be a perfect NY Jet, joining the cavalcade of misfits at QB for a flailing head coach like Ryan.

24. kenstabler says: Aug 25, 2013 11:30 PM

As much as I hate Russell, Ryan leaf is still the hands down leader of bust of busts.

25. gibbyfan says: Aug 25, 2013 11:32 PM

Actually Marinovich had a few impressive games that first season but I recall when that pick was made—shocked everyone(there was some kind of family infuence but dont recall exactly what).
    I think that was the the first hint of the great decline of AL………Amazing how ove rthe years the organization passed on so may great QBs and never drafed a truly great one.

26. micker716 says: Aug 25, 2013 11:38 PM

Who exactly are these “many”? Give us names. OK, give me one name.

27. coolzog says: Aug 25, 2013 11:41 PM

Look, Al Davis said he’s a great player, so get over it.

28. indychiefsfan says: Aug 26, 2013 12:08 AM

I don’t know what is more uncomfortable to watch…..Jamarcus wasting all of his athletic attributes or watching him trying to get back onto an NFL roster.

29. bbwasright says: Aug 26, 2013 12:09 AM

Really?! Many still wonder why this guy isn’t getting another chance? He’s awful, never was worth anything, and he got paid more than most of us will earn for real work in a lifetime. He doesn’t deserve another chance, and we really need to move on from this tired old story of flops trying to relive the fantasy. Someday soon, this same story will be written, with the name Tebow.

30. securb2013 says: Aug 26, 2013 12:36 AM

Come on man. You can’t stop eating twinkies for a half million a year as a backup? Shame on you.

31. randomcommenter says: Aug 26, 2013 12:36 AM

weight gain, sore knee, and Oh yeah,, he’s still terrible.

32. granadafan says: Aug 26, 2013 12:48 AM

It’s no wonder why no team fell for his sudden weight loss. He clearly did it just to get tryouts. As soon as some gullible team fell for this scam then he would have lost his motivation and started to hit the buffets again. You can’t trust a guy who suddenly gains or loses weight before a draft or NFL comeback.

33. swaggyy says: Aug 26, 2013 1:45 AM

JaCheeseburger Russell

34. nemesder says: Aug 26, 2013 2:31 AM

The purple drank supposedly makes everything slow,

And apparently that includes JaWhatever’s comeback

35. drunkwino says: Aug 26, 2013 4:56 AM

Don’t call it a comeback

36. joetoronto says: Aug 26, 2013 5:27 AM

ryann252013 says:
    Aug 25, 2013 9:56 PM
    Oops, stupid phone.

**************************************************
    It’s not the phone.

SMH.

37. cantonbound13 says: Aug 26, 2013 6:02 AM

Hello purple drank

38. donkeydik says: Aug 26, 2013 6:46 AM

“kenstabler says: Aug 25, 2013 9:59 PM

He is a fat lazy slob that has no desire to play pro football. He has his 50 million and he pretends to come back to try and save his cough syrup image. He is neck and neck with Ryan Leaf. The bust of all busts. He wins hands down as the worst raider draft pick in history. I wish he would take his fur jackets and become a fat stripper. I hate this guy.”

I seem to remember an article that said he was losing his house for not making his payments.
    But he did just win 3 million from the Raiders who obviously hire crappy lawyers in addition to crappy quarterbacks.

39. dexterismyhero says: Aug 26, 2013 7:44 AM

Goo Goo Gajoob!!!!

40. bleedeaglegreen says: Aug 26, 2013 8:17 AM

Are we sure it’s because he is an overweight, unmotivated excuse for a top 3 pick or is there something underlying? Many will be posting here shortly despite his lack of effort, him being heavy, his lazy work ethic, his inability to learn to read pro defenses that there HAS to be another reason he isn’t getting another shot! It just can’t be that he’s terrible, we all know it’s something else at play!!

41. 49erstim says: Aug 26, 2013 8:56 AM

Why isn’t this guy a Jet? Then we’d get to read and hear about him everyday!

42. nananatman says: Aug 26, 2013 9:50 AM

I really can’t believe that people can’t believe that “Purple Drank” can’t find work. The guy fully ripped off the Raiders and it isn’t like Jolly who played pretty well for the Packers and then got busted, Russell played like garbage.

43. markburst says: Aug 26, 2013 6:51 PM

There must have been a sale on cough syrup… someone tell this guy that choking and coughing are two different things..