Jairus Byrd doesn’t know what to do to convince Bills of his value

Brian Hartline AP

Bills safety Jairus Byrd spoke to reporters Monday for the first time since signing his franchise tender and he sounded less than thrilled to be back in Buffalo on a one-year deal.

Byrd said he was disappointed about being tagged in the first place, but thought there would be a resolution that involved a long-term contract with the Bills. When asked if he was hurt by the way the team handled contract talks, Byrd said he feels “how anyone else would feel if you’re in my position” and that acknowledging that it is a business decision doesn’t stop you from taking it personally when a deal doesn’t materialize. Byrd also struggled to answer a question about whether he’d be going out to prove his worth to the Bills management this season.

“Do I want to prove to them anything?” Byrd said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “I guess in four years if I didn’t, I don’t know what I can do, you know what I’m saying? Their mindset is what it is. I just have to go out there and focus on football and just help this team in any way possible.”

Byrd said he didn’t want to comment on “business” matters when he was asked if he requested a trade, but the rest of his comments did more than enough to express his feelings about the current state of affairs.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Jairus Byrd doesn’t know what to do to convince Bills of his value”
  1. silverandblackfan77 says: Aug 26, 2013 4:13 PM

If the Bills don’t think he is the best center fielding FS in the game that’s their problem

2. gbpicksix says: Aug 26, 2013 4:18 PM

It’s good to see a young talented guy like Byrd handle the media so well in this situation.

He is fun to watch.

3. sdemp says: Aug 26, 2013 4:22 PM

When are the Bills going to start making good “business” decisions. . . It’s really tough being a fan of a team (Bills) that continuously makes poor decision after poor decision.

4. supremekingz says: Aug 26, 2013 4:22 PM

He’ll be gone next offseason, signing a huge multi year deal with a contender in a better market. I bet everyone will know his name and recognize his talents then

5. w0rkh0lic1 says: Aug 26, 2013 4:24 PM

As a Skins fan, I’d love to see Byrd in the Burgundy and Gold. That’s the Bills loss if they don’t realize his value. The Redskins have been looking for a great talented safety since Sean Taylor died. If the Bills let Byrd go, they’ll regret it…

6. titansbro says: Aug 26, 2013 4:26 PM

You build a good team by drafting well. You build a SB contender by locking up the players who prove to be studs.

7. marvsleezy says: Aug 26, 2013 4:27 PM

supremekingz – they can use franchise tag next year too

8. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 26, 2013 4:31 PM

the bills defense stinks. none of their players could hack it on my team. they should just blow it up & that includes getting rid of this slow safety

9. gpack22 says: Aug 26, 2013 4:34 PM

Start the season well and then “pull” a hammy by week 6 and sit the rest of the year. Bills should be out of the playoffs by then anyway. Maybe then he won’t be franchised again next year and can get the hell out of that dysfunctional franchise.

10. jeffreyshulenburg says: Aug 26, 2013 4:36 PM

I love how he manages to spin the media so quickly

He wanted to be the highest paid S in NFL history

The Bills offered him top 3 money and he didnt even offer to counter the offer

Those are the facts of the matter. He turned down a 5 year deal that made him the 3rd highest paid S in the game behind Polumalu and I believe Berry.

11. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Aug 26, 2013 4:37 PM

Ok, If you want to say “I’m 3rd best safety in the league, I deserved to be paid that way.” I’ll protest the Bill’s Front Office until you’re a player for life. Like I’ll quit my job and bang on the windows day in and day out until you are signed to a 20+ yr unprecedented contract.

But, that’s not what your “business matters” consist of. The reason you refuse to speak of them is because you know that our wonderful arctic tundra of a city would die if they found out you were actually taking the “you need me more than anyone else on the team, make me the highest paid player on your team.” angle.

I wish you would stay Jarius, but if you are gonna sit here and count your pennies, then go to the JETS where they can hold on to you as “that one player that is the whole team.” Don’t worry J-byrd, you got all the mad talent though, you can learn cornerback in no time.

I have no sympathy for millionaires who get to play an amazingly fun game for a living.

12. jeffreyshulenburg says: Aug 26, 2013 4:44 PM

Jairus byrd, you are talking out of your arse.

The team offered you a 5 year contract worth top 3 S money and you refused to even counter it. So you can take your sympathy trip and shove it.

Frankly, Im going to laugh when the team tags you again next year(that tag goes up 25% I believe) and STILL gets to pay you less than you want

Im replacing my Byrd jersey with Gilmore, Manuel or Spiller with my next paycheck

13. firstroyal says: Aug 26, 2013 4:49 PM

—they can use franchise tag next year too

They had over 20 million left in cap room and did not sign him to a long term deal. What makes anyone think they would give him a 14 percent raise next season

14. marvsleezy says: Aug 26, 2013 4:59 PM

firstroyal

- the tag is at a minimum a great negotiating tool. They will look to sign him long term knowing they can still use the tag – He was asking for around 9 this past year. We dont know how much they were offering – It was probably in the 8 range though.

15. yanksbills says: Aug 26, 2013 5:04 PM

Exactly how much more work does Byrd out in for the Bills versus our other safeties? 10 times more work? Is he 10 times more productive on field? Then why does he deserve 10 times the money as everyone else?

16. yanksbills says: Aug 26, 2013 5:22 PM

17. silentfreedom5 says: Aug 26, 2013 6:03 PM

I’d Love to see him and Purple and Gold. Pair him with Harrison Smith and you would have the best safety tandem in the NFL for the next 8+ seasons

18. surfinbird1 says: Aug 26, 2013 6:10 PM

A Diva in the making.

19. mackcarrington says: Aug 26, 2013 6:37 PM

I’m going to get rid of my Jairus Byrd jersey…. Oh, wait!!.. I’m a grown man who doesn’t buy jerseys with someone else’s name on the back.

20. allnflfan says: Aug 26, 2013 7:05 PM

J-Byrd, you’re about to make nearly $7 million guaranteed over the next 18 weeks of work. No one feels bad for you and the fact that you and your greedy agent couldn’t compromise for another $1 mil.

21. yanksbills says: Aug 26, 2013 7:46 PM

Lawyer Milloy and Donte Whitner were pretty great safeties too, but they didn’t get us to the playoffs either.

22. EJ says: Aug 26, 2013 9:28 PM

In my eyes, Jairus Byrd is a top 5 Safety and should be paid like one, No more, No less. I am not sure what Buffalo offered him, but I’m sure It wasn’t chump-change. You should have signed the contract Byrd!

23. ydousuk says: Aug 26, 2013 10:48 PM

mackcarrington says: Aug 26, 2013 6:37 PM

_____________________________________

Post of the day!!!

24. smurph12 says: Aug 26, 2013 11:25 PM

“Byrd’s 2012 Buffalo defense gave up more than 44 points in 4 different games. Buffalo won 6 games in 2012. I can’t find any one stat of his from last season that wows me. Maybe it’s the 6 passes he defended, or the 5 picks. Anyone else have a reason to pay him more?”

Although I agree that he should stop whining about not being paid 10 mil a year, the stats you list are out of context. He only defensed 6 passes, and only intercepted 5…and according to Pro Football Focus, he was only targeted 21 times on the whole season. That’s incredibly efficient, if you ask me.

25. billsfan1 says: Aug 26, 2013 11:51 PM

he is a very good safety but im sorry, safety just isnt the most important position on the field. dont get me wrong, id rather have him than not but lets not fool ourselves… Buffalo went to 4 super bowls with the likes of mark kelso, matt darby, henry jones (ok he was pretty good) and leonard smith at safety…

besides lets face it, its a win win for Byrd. He gets his way now that BUffalo wont pay him- i believe he purposely set his price tag too high so it would be tough for Buffalo and if Buffalo matched his asking price, well hey, he just got a boat load of extra cash

26. nytroutdog says: Aug 27, 2013 10:31 AM

Safety isn’t important? Numbers aren’t there from last year? Where are your minds? A good safety (which Byrd is) can be a game changer…especially with the Bills lack of depth at CB. He’s great against the pass and very good against the run.

Byrd is deserving of the contract, has a great agent that is properly conducting his business and the Bills need to work out a deal next off-season. Continuing to draft (when they hit on a pick) and then lose quality players is one of the reasons the Bills haven’t been to the playoffs in 13 years.

27. leninthebuff says: Aug 28, 2013 8:07 AM

@nytroutdog
    I disagree with you…how many players that Buffalo has let go, have gone on to star in the league…Pat Williams? Nate Clements got beat deep consistently. Winfield was a good all around cornerback but cornerbacks are easy to replace in the draft.
    They missed the playoffs for 13 yrs because they drafted poorly, especially their no 1 picks like Williams and Maybin to name a couple and most importantly never replaced Jim Kelly. They went cheap on hiring head coachs after they let Phillips go.
    I honestly think they are on the right track now as they are thinking young as evidenced by hiring Marrone and installing Whaley as GM.
    Time will tell but this last draft brought us talent and with two more similiar drafts and some smart free agent signings when the time is right will bring this franchise back to respectability.