Joe McKnight headlines list of 14 Jets cuts

Joe McKnight AP

Back in May, running back Joe McKnight said that you’d have to kill him to take away his spot on the Jets roster.

It’s time to administer last rites because the Jets made McKnight one of the 14 cuts they needed to make to get down to 75 players by Tuesday’s deadline. The team made the announcement on Monday morning that McKnight’s Jets tenure has come to an end.

That tenure started with Hard Knocks cameras catching McKnight throwing up during his first conditioning test with the team and ended this summer with McKnight barely practicing after suffering a head injury, getting arrested and giving a combative performance during a press conference. There weren’t many bright spots on the field in between, which is why the 2010 fourth-round pick’s time is up with the Jets.

The Jets also cut veteran guard Stephen Peterman, which likely means that 2010 second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse will get a chance to play left guard and shake the disappointing label he’s picked up over the last three years.

Running back Chad Spann, offensive lineman Patrick Ford, offensive lineman Trey Gilleo, wide receiver Joe Collins, wide receiver Marcus Rucker, wide receiver K.J. Stroud, wide receiver Rahsaan Vaughn, linebacker Sean Progar-Jackson, defensive back Donnie Fletcher, defensive back Bret Lockett, punter Ryan Quigley and long snapper Patrick Scales were the other players let go on Monday.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Joe McKnight headlines list of 14 Jets cuts”
  1. adamjac78 says: Aug 26, 2013 8:34 AM

I’m just dumbfounded that the kept Vlad! What kind of photos does he have n Woody and Rex? It’s the only possible reason that Vlad is still a Jet

2. revischrist16 says: Aug 26, 2013 8:39 AM

As a Jets fan, I’m more concerned over cutting Stephen Peterman, who was picked up to start. Gonna be a long season.

3. pettytom says: Aug 26, 2013 8:51 AM

Another busted Trojan from USC??? Nooooo, I’m shocked!!! I don’t see how guys from USC still actually get drafted in the early rounds. Can anyone name a former Trojan that is actually any good in the NFL? It’s looking more and more that the only reason they look any good in college is because the PAC-12 is garbage.

4. concord148 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:01 AM

Oh boy, I’m glad the jets didn’t cut Tebow. I can sleep at nights now. Jet fan. Go gets, I mean, go qets, I mean, go jets.

5. damnsureis says: Aug 26, 2013 9:08 AM

As a Pats fan, I was hoping they would keep him.

6. jpb12 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:19 AM

Danny Woodhead was better

7. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Aug 26, 2013 9:27 AM

How bad do you really have to be to get cut from this team. Well at least they all have something in common with the head coach now, they will all be looking for a job next year too.

8. lgw91s says: Aug 26, 2013 9:53 AM

Well…. I’ve at least heard of McKnight. The others could have been random names from the phone book.

9. rcp29 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:54 AM

I think cutting Peterman is probably a good sign – that means they think either Ducasse or Winters, two pretty high draft picks, are ready to start. I’d rather give the young guys a chance anyway, it’s not like Peterman is a long-term solution.

10. Wisconsin77 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:57 AM

His downfall started when he picked USC over his home state team LSU, whom he originally committed to. I remember the state was in an uproar when he did that. I am sure Louisiana is reveling in his failures.

11. Wisconsin77 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:58 AM

ettytom says:
    Aug 26, 2013 8:51 AM
    Can anyone name a former Trojan that is actually any good in the NFL?

Not on offence, but on defense they have a few. Clay Matthews is one that comes to mind.

12. jetsoptimist says: Aug 26, 2013 10:01 AM

It’s too soon to cut McKnight, he is a very gd return man. Plus nobody knows if Goodson is coming back.

13. pftfan says: Aug 26, 2013 10:06 AM

pettytom says: Aug 26, 2013 8:51 AM

—————————-

While I agree with your overall point, McKnight was taken in the 4th round.

14. tsizzlesucks says: Aug 26, 2013 10:06 AM

I think people are happy that the Jets cut them! The Jets should cut everyone and make their team from the 31 other teams’ cuts. Trust me, between this week and next week they would end up with a better team…certainly a better record!

15. karl422 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:07 AM

As a Jet fan I have watched all three preseason games and Stephen Peterman was done. His last year with the Lions was BAD. Vald has worked hard to turn around his career and it looks like in his fourth year he has finally found success.

16. zingo1978 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:07 AM

Cue the unoriginal “If you”ve been cut by this team you might as well call it a career” posts in 3…2…1…

17. hehateme2 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:20 AM

The jets have no clue of what they’re doing. Good times ;-)

18. bucsfan5000 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:21 AM

Why isn’t Mark Sanchez on this list?

19. ryann252013 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:27 AM

Vlad Ducasse looked very good so far, he is a hard working and I’m glad it’s finally paying off. Go big ugly!

20. salsendardo says: Aug 26, 2013 10:28 AM

If you”ve been cut by this team you might as well call it a career

21. floridafootballologist says: Aug 26, 2013 10:32 AM

We all know the real reason McNight was cut. He gave away the “Media Bridge” card and it was actually Rex Ryan’s card. That’s why he sounded like such a buffoon yesterday.

22. modellforprez says: Aug 26, 2013 10:34 AM

pettyTom TROY “OUTLAW”POLAMALU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Aug 26, 2013 11:19 AM

He was a JET through and through.

24. lrjets says: Aug 26, 2013 11:34 AM

concord148 says:Aug 26, 2013 9:01 AM

___________________________

Do you for one second think that reply is funny? It’s the rubber doll that helps you sleep I think,

25. suite34 says: Aug 26, 2013 12:28 PM

I remember watching “Hard Knocks” with the Jets and Danny Woodhead running circles around McKnight. Ryan talked a good game about players who played the “Jet way,” then cut Woodhead to keep the higher drafted McKnight. Walk the talk, big man.

26. bighurt228 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:30 PM

Life in the NFL has to hit an all time low when the Not Yets cut you…!!

27. steelerben says: Aug 27, 2013 3:20 PM