Kevin Williams upset about low block

Kevin Williams AP

Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams figured after this long in the NFL, he had earned a little more respect.

But he was frustrated after leaving last night’s game following a low block from San Francisco’s second-year backup guard Joe Looney.

I was just upset that I’m getting cut 11 years in [the NFL] from a guy who I don’t even know,” Williams said, via Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I figure between the pain and the fact he cut me when I wasn’t looking was my reaction.”

The pain will be more for the Vikings if the results of today’s MRI show damage to his right knee.

“Kevin Williams is probably the one injury we’re concerned about,” Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. “Other than that, whatever we had were bumps and bruises that should be fine in time. Kevin is the one we’ll take a look at [Monday].”

If Williams is forced to miss any time, the Vikings would need first-rounder Sharrif Floyd to play a larger role. He didn’t play against the 49ers after a minor procedure on his knee, but is expected to be fine for the opener.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
64 Responses to “Kevin Williams upset about low block”
  1. basilray says: Aug 26, 2013 6:44 AM

That block sure seemed like a cheap shot. I was surprised it didn’t get flagged.

Here’s to hoping it’s nothing significant. Hate to see a great vet get hurt in such a lousy way.

2. anarchopurplism says: Aug 26, 2013 7:11 AM

Looked dirty to me. The O lineman clearly saw where the ball carrier was & then dove right at William’s knee.

3. goldrush94 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:18 AM

I’m a Niners fan and that was a dirty block. I hope it’s not a serious injury and that Looney gets fined by the league. No place in this game for that.

4. doner80 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:41 AM

Wow a low block plus the face mask on Webb during a preseason game, the niners sure are looking like a dirty team.Im sure the piffer fans will have to jump on this they live for the Vikes!!!

5. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:51 AM

Viking players and their fans are always crying about some sort of perceived wrong doing.

Soft.

6. wtfru2 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:57 AM

Typical 49ers, a lot of cheap shots last night!

7. nyg201 says: Aug 26, 2013 7:59 AM

But I thought the new rule change was suppose to make the game safer Roger????????????

Soon enough defenders will need one of those arm things QBs wear so they can read how to properly tackle a defender without getting fined.

This is a result of having guys in suits, guys who have no NFL playing experience calling tinkering with NFL rules and player saftey.

How are you suppose to keep players healthy when there are Thursday games being played (don’t get me wrong i don’t mind it) You can’t tell me that a RB or an OL or a DL or LB is fully healed by Thursday after taking a pounding on a Sunday night game. If anything it leaves the player more prone to injury.

Seriously since Roger GODell took over there have been nothing but issues and a whole lot of hot air on player saftey its a shame and it will ruin the sport i love.

8. glynners says: Aug 26, 2013 8:01 AM

Cut blocking is nasty

9. niners816 says: Aug 26, 2013 8:04 AM

As a Niners fan, what Joe Looney did was completely pathetic and uncalled for. Hope they suspend or at least fine him. Trying to intentionally injure someone is low no matter what team you root for.

10. gbmickey says: Aug 26, 2013 8:08 AM

I get no respect…the mantra of about every viking poster in here. As the late Al Davis said ” just win baby”. Until then quit the sniveling.

11. mnmarine0351 says: Aug 26, 2013 8:20 AM

I think anyone would have the right to be upset about that block. Looney should be fined and if he was on the bubble then I would expect an example to be made of him. A knee injury to a big man at K Williams age could be a carreer ender and Ticket deserve better than that, especially from some punk just looking to get noticed.

12. getyourownname says: Aug 26, 2013 8:21 AM

That was a real and uncalled for cheap shot.

13. msmith954 says: Aug 26, 2013 8:22 AM

That was a dirty play. Get well, K-Will

14. jrmbadger says: Aug 26, 2013 8:30 AM

It was a dirty block, but in the end, that’s what can happen when you have the starters of one team in while the backups of another team are in.

15. Land of Sky Blue Water says: Aug 26, 2013 8:39 AM

Not sure why he was even still in there…

16. banlarson says: Aug 26, 2013 8:48 AM

Players do what their coaches coach them to do.

17. vikestud says: Aug 26, 2013 9:15 AM

Joe Looney will be a target this year, Kevin is a good guy and has lots of friends in the NFL. 49ers are a cheap team. 0 class in a preseason game.

18. reesesteel23 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:32 AM

Cut this Looney….

19. willbow5253 says: Aug 26, 2013 9:41 AM

Man, I hope Williams is ok because that was UGLY. There’s no place in the NFL for that play. If that wasn’t an illegal hit, it should be. I don’t think Looney is a bad guy, but he needs to be called out for this. I will say one other thing. Frazier needs to understand that this stuff can happen when you play your starters against the other teams 2nd string. Guys get desperate when they’re trying to prove their worth against superior players. Thought it was funny that Jared Allen was in there rushing the passer against our 3rd string tackle. But no, there’s no place for what Looney did.

20. whatjusthapped says: Aug 26, 2013 9:45 AM

Cheap shot, if the guy even makes the 49ers team, he should be suspended.

I hope its nothing serious for Williams, the team has no chance at making the playoffs but I want all hands on deck so his absence isn’t used as an excuse.

21. sethual says: Aug 26, 2013 9:50 AM

Be careful. You’ll reap what you sow.

22. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 26, 2013 9:51 AM

The Vikings have been blessed with no major injuries this preseason. This could be the worst, but it still doesn’t look like it could be that bad.

23. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Aug 26, 2013 9:56 AM

Was trying to scout our 1st week opponent, but it wasn’t like they were playing a real team so didn’t get much out of it. Vikes looked terrible.

That was a cheap shot on Williams though, hope he is okay.

24. wolfman55h says: Aug 26, 2013 10:34 AM

49ers coach is a tool. The Harbaugh with class is in Baltimore– where the Super Bowl trophy is.

25. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:43 AM

MN looks absolutely horrible.

26. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:48 AM

Well it’s a good thing guion and Evans are there too. They know the defense. Floyd is injured and might not be ready. I am assuming the worst for Kevin Williams because that looked bad.

After watching the Vikings offense, I have no hopes for this team. They are horrific. Enough of this Jerome Simpson experiment. Put joe Webb out there. I was not impressed with ponder. For some of the good throws he made he also had equally bad throws. He has some of the worst ten yard passes I’ve seen. They always look like they could be a pick six. He is late on the timing.

The offensive line looks horrendous. They looked so great last year but this year they are a mess, Khalil look like he has taken steps backward after a great rookie year. He is getting beat big time.

Kappernick destroyed the secondary. Josh Robinson does not like reliable corner, and Chris cook continues to under achieve. Their linebackers look slow. I don’t understand the love for Erin Henderson they have.

I don’t see this team winning more than five games with their schedule.

27. dfleming62 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:48 AM

49ers fan here too, that block was completely uncalled for. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be serious.

28. theheisenberg9 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:53 AM

I laugh at all the fools calling the niners cheap.. What about Kahlil’s 2 cheap shots he had in the first half? Niners aren’t a cheap team.

29. wdnemesis says: Aug 26, 2013 10:56 AM

I am sure a rule can be made on this. Cut block + defenseless defender. Injuries go alone with the game but certain plays like that should go under review.

30. tremoluxman says: Aug 26, 2013 11:00 AM

I live in Minnesota and have watched the Vikings since the 60s. Williams is not a whiner, show-boater, or loud-mouth. He does his job like a true professional and has earned the respect of opposing players.
    That ‘tackle’ was an unnecessary and uncalled for cheap-shot.

31. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 26, 2013 11:08 AM

It was a legal block right?
    Then what are you all complaining about?
    On a side note Christian Ponder looked shamefully bad last night. The Vikes are in for a long year. Get ready to be destroyed by the Lions in week one.

32. rikker12 says: Aug 26, 2013 11:11 AM

This Looney Tune guy obviously went low on Williams… He went right for his knee….
    Ponder look like crap… He finally looked ok when the 49ers put there 2nd unit in…. Very soft DB’s, the 49er receivers were open all night… This team will go 7-9 at best.

33. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 26, 2013 11:14 AM

filthymcnasty1 says:Aug 26, 2013 10:43 AM

MN looks absolutely horrible.
    _______

MN must stand for McNasty’s Noggin.

34. marvin49 says: Aug 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Gotta agree with all the Niner posters here. As much as I’d like to defend Looney, I just can’t. Play was totally uncalled for. He needs to be fined at least.

As for the “dirty team” stuff. Please. Kalil was hit TWICE for unsportsmanlike penalties. The Vikings got hit with a facemask penalty as well on WR Quinton Patton.

The 49ers are a physical team and they are going to beat some people up, but the young players are going to do stupid young player things. Just ask Lavelle Hawkins. Sigh.

35. reesesteel23 says: Aug 26, 2013 11:48 AM

I don’t think the 9′ers are dirty. Just overly physical at the most unnecessary times during a ballgame.

Wait……

36. purpleguy says: Aug 26, 2013 11:52 AM

Williams is the classiest, most soft-spoken guy on the team, which makes that cheap block even worse. Having said that, why in hell were he and Allen still in the game at that point? The starting defense had already proved itself. Now as to the offense. . . . .

37. 4deeniner says: Aug 26, 2013 12:05 PM

I’m a Niner fan, and that was a dirty block. BUT thats what the Vikings get for leaving the first team players in well into the 3rd quarter. They were playing against players that will not have a job in a few days.

38. billb49 says: Aug 26, 2013 12:10 PM

I hope everyone notices that the Niner fans here, and I’m one of them, all agree that this was a completely uncalled for cheap shot and we hope Looney gets fined and disciplined by the coaches.

But, I can’t help but point out that if the shoe were on the other foot and Niner fans were complaining about a cheap shot on one of their players, posters here would be calling them “whiners.”

39. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Aug 26, 2013 12:16 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 26, 2013 11:49 AM
    That noodle armed Ponder chick plays like Graham Harrell’s little sister. How can Viking fans even pretend that this could work out well
    ————————————————-

I have seen enough….I agree.

40. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 26, 2013 12:17 PM

Didn’t see the game, but it seems like it was a cheap shot. Hope this dude gets better, no place for stuff like this in the game.

That said: If any Packers player complained about a hit like this, the story would be littered with comments by vikings fans about how soft the packers players are, and how the hit looked clean.

And, just looking at the stats… it looks as though Ponder scored thanks to Colt McCoy and against a third string defense.

How do you guys feel about that? Lord knows we could point to the Vikings big goose egg vs the Niners starters as things to come, just like you backwoods morons point out that the Packers running backs won’t succeed because of one bad preseason game with the 2nd string.

But see… I understand that Peterson wasn’t playing, so it wasn’t how your offense will look.

Over here in the land of paved roads and indoor plumbing, we understand the “importance” of preseason.

41. realfootballfan says: Aug 26, 2013 12:41 PM

It was a cheap shot. Lucky his season and possibly his career considering his age weren’t ended last night.

42. duece5 says: Aug 26, 2013 12:47 PM

gbmickey says: Aug 26, 2013 8:08 AM

duece5 says:

Stay classy gbay turd!!!!!

You already have enough injuries on your team, and with your negative karma, the injury bug will befall more of your own due to your own mouth!!!

43. jayniner says: Aug 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Conversly, If Looney hit him high and knocked him out(because Williams wasn’t looking forward), everyone would be complaining about that too.

I’m sure Looney will be fined or penalized…last I checked, hitting other players was the point of football…..take that away and it might as well be the NFFL(National Flag Football League).

44. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 26, 2013 1:05 PM

duece5 says:
    Aug 26, 2013 12:47 PM
    gbmickey says: Aug 26, 2013 8:08 AM

duece5 says:

Stay classy gbay turd!!!!!

—-

You better hope there’s no such thing as karma. If that’s the case, your whole team will be on IR because of Contra, Veence, BarroomZero, GenExJay, pvyharvin, and dozens of others like them.

45. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 26, 2013 1:07 PM

duece5 says:
    Aug 26, 2013 12:47 PM

********************************************

This is why Korey Stringer died, and that bridge collapsed. Sure, there was MN cheapness and incompetence involved. But mostly you people just deserved it.

Darwin called it thinning the heard.

46. theytukrjobs says: Aug 26, 2013 1:09 PM

It was a pathetic cheap shot. People can say what they want, but guaranteed if it happens to a good player on your team you aren’t going to be happy about it. That isn’t unique to Vikings fans or even football.

That dude should get fined. It was the epitome of a cheap shot.

47. pack13queens0 says: Aug 26, 2013 1:21 PM

I guess the players on the Vikings are just as whiny as their fans now. This is football, players are going to get hit & it was perfectly clean.

48. ashtongronholz8 says: Aug 26, 2013 1:26 PM

Why do packers insist on telling Vikings fans to quit trolling yet they comment on everyone of ours? Even niner fans are saying it was a dirty hit. Packers fan base is the one lacking class

49. vikefan says: Aug 26, 2013 1:30 PM

Soft.
    ———————————————————
    dirty play is a dirty play……and we are not crying about it, just look at 49ers fans posts above

……….and we don’t complain bout refs either (including preseason games)

50. dirtyjersey9er says: Aug 26, 2013 2:30 PM

For sure that was uncalled for by Looney. That and his play thusfar makes me hope he never sees the field this season.

Also for those using this as a chap shot at Harbaugh I guess conveniently also see him ripping Hawkins for the crap he pulled that led to 3 different taunting penalties.

51. longcutskolvikes says: Aug 26, 2013 2:43 PM

I’m glad it looks like Kevin Williams is going to be alright, he’s one of the greatest Vikings of all time. I’ve said this before, and I’ll likely say it again. I have nothing but respect for the Green Bay Packers as an orginization, their players, coaches, and history. I’m even friends with a few Packers fans, which as anyone who lives in Minnesota knows, can be difficult during football season. To all the regular Packercentric posters who troll Vikings articles, I’m glad you love your team! I understand the rich cultural connection you feel to the Packers, and if I was from America’s Dairyland I likely would feel as you do. I know the Vikings have never won the Super Bowl, and yes, I must admit that it bothers me very much. We Vikings fans may never get to see the same level of success out of our team as you do from the Packers, but that’s alright. For now we Minnesotans will just keep enjoying our lower rates of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, fewer DUIs per captia, and stronger economy. I know many folks from Wisconsin move here to do the same.

52. contra74 says: Aug 26, 2013 2:57 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Aug 26, 2013 1:05 PM
    duece5 says:
    Aug 26, 2013 12:47 PM
    gbmickey says: Aug 26, 2013 8:08 AM

duece5 says:

Stay classy gbay turd!!!!!

—-

—-
    Are you done whining? What is it about anything Green Bay related that makes its fans and team whine. wow.

53. dirtyjersey9er says: Aug 26, 2013 3:05 PM

I wonder how much whining these Packers fans trolling this thread will do when they start the season 0-1 yet again?

54. silentfreedom5 says: Aug 26, 2013 3:11 PM

Still no word on K-Will’s MRI however the Vikes have sent the tape of the “block” to the league offices for review. Lets see how Rodger treats this

55. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 26, 2013 3:40 PM

dirtyjersey9er says:
    Aug 26, 2013 3:05 PM

********************************************

I guess it depends.

Will we still beat you twice again this season, like we have for each of the last 3 years?

56. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 26, 2013 3:54 PM

baaaaahahahaha

Whining?

Child, I laugh at you every time you post.

I’m better than you now, I’ve always been better than you, and I’ll always be better than you.

Much like the Packers and the Vikings… The Packers will always be better than the purple pansies.

57. deltaoracle says: Aug 26, 2013 4:00 PM

Okay Filthy, you know, I am really tired of you bringing up stuff like Korey Stringer and the I-35 bridge collapse. There is no place here or anywhere for taunting people over incidents where other people died. If you get banned, just look in the mirror boyo, because the guy you see there deserves it and more. Absolutely no place in a civilized world for celebrating injuries, let alone that crap.
    I hope Williams is not badly hurt.

58. tedlinko says: Aug 26, 2013 4:12 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 26, 2013 7:51 AM

Soft.

***********************************
    Comments like this are just idiotic. I guarantee that if a Viking player had taken a shot at Colin Kaepernick’s knee, 49er fans would be up in arms. And well they should.

Being upset when a player takes a cheap shot that stands a good chance of ending another player’s career, is not being “soft.” Doesn’t matter who you are. There is no place for that.

59. toes110 says: Aug 26, 2013 6:00 PM

Wisconsin is the armpit of Minnesota, say what you will about the vikes, but the great state of Minnesota is, and always will be superior..

60. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 26, 2013 6:02 PM

StarCaps cheaters deserve cheap shots. It’s too bad he couldn’t get fat Pat too.

61. jebdamone says: Aug 26, 2013 6:36 PM

anyone who watched the replay saw it was a dirty play deserving of a flag. yes, i am a vikings fan but my opinion would be no different had it been one of my guys taking a cheap shot on a niner.

62. dcviking says: Aug 26, 2013 7:11 PM

@deltaoracle -

You have restored my faith that is possible to have a healthy hatred of a rival team and still understand some things just don’t need to be said.

I will attempt to live up to your example.

63. underdog4587 says: Aug 26, 2013 10:29 PM

Isn’t this football? Did the 49ers have the ball?

64. themackstrong says: Aug 26, 2013 10:40 PM

Got to give respect to 49er fans who call it a cheapshot too. Most fans can be blind because of the colors but 95 % all calling it as it is and not standing for it.