Doug Marrone says Manuel would need a few days of practice to play opener

Erik Walden, Lawrence Sidbury, EJ Manuel AP

The only things standing between Jeff Tuel becoming the first undrafted rookie to start at quarterback on opening day in modern history are a possible injury, Matt Leinart and the return of E.J. Manuel from his recent knee surgery.

Coach Doug Marrone addressed the possibility of Manuel’s return on Tuesday, saying that Manuel started working out Sunday but that he hasn’t resumed throwing the ball yet. Manuel has been telling the coach that he’s ready to play, but Marrone said that he’d be relying on doctors to give him the green light for Manuel’s return to work. Marrone also outlined when that green light would have to come in order for Manuel to play against the Patriots.

“If the doctor said, ‘You’re not going to get him on that field until Thursday, and then he’ll be ready to play on Sunday,’ I would be concerned about doing that,” Marrone said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “If they said, ‘Hey, we can get him on that field on Monday or Wednesday, I would see how he played and make a decision.”

Marrone added that the days were necessary for him to decide whether Manuel is ready to play or if he needs more time to knock off the rust that built up while he was recovering. It might not be the likeliest outcome for Buffalo, but it is one that won’t be ruled out until the team’s absolutely sure he can’t play.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Doug Marrone says Manuel would need a few days of practice to play opener”
  1. billsfaninmiami says: Aug 27, 2013 12:29 PM

OPERATION PATIENCE T-shirts now in fashion in Buffalo??

2. reignjc says: Aug 27, 2013 12:32 PM

EJ3!

3. doublezero74 says: Aug 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Just a few days?

4. coltzfan166 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:01 PM

They should have drafted Ryan Nassib too when he was available in the 4th

5. corkspop says: Aug 27, 2013 1:01 PM

I’m thinking a Jeff Tuel with 2 weeks of practice with the starters is better than EJ Manuel rusty, hurt, and with just a couple of days practice. Let’s not pull a Rex Ryan here……. And, let’s ee how quickly Leinart picks up the offense and the timing. He DOES have experience.

6. mattyk72 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:03 PM

Clearly there’s a feud brewing in Buffalo between coach and QB.

7. smartanis says: Aug 27, 2013 1:06 PM

Didn’t Max Hall start on opening day of his rookie year for the Cardinals?

8. 52lightsxout52 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:37 PM

I think the Bills hit the nail on the head with EJ Manuel, he was my #1 QB coming out of Florida St., hope he gets healthy soon and plays well for BillsNation. :-)

9. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:37 PM

_____________________________

I wouldn’t say Leinart stands between anything. The guy was awful when he played and I can’t see Tuel, who’s familiar with the offense, not being started over Leinart.

Leinart was a joke when he did play.

10. rabidbillsfan says: Aug 27, 2013 1:54 PM

Can’t wait to see the look on the media slobs faces when the Bills pull out the victory. It’s more possible than people think. Do I need to remind everyone that CJ Spiller is still a Buffalo Bill? And Fred Jackson, and Kyle Williams, Mario, Byrd. Yeah, let’s sleep on those guys. Who is Tom Brady throwing to again? Who is even remotely close to a playmaker on that defense? People bash on Jeff like he is Ryan Fitzpatrick or something, except Fitz beat the Pats in Buffalo, had them on the ropes last season in both contests, with an amazingly bad defense, and a coach who was in over his head. I’m not saying the Bills WILL win, but I think writing them off is really a stupid idea. Pettine knows Brady, the defense knows Brady, and I don’t think they can hold CJ back, or the special teams back either. It really comes down to if the Bills can stop the run, if they can, I think the unthinkable will happen.

11. mattyk72 says: Aug 27, 2013 2:02 PM

Clearly nobody has a sense of humor regarding a “feud” between coach and QB in Buffalo. Sigh.

12. buddysguys says: Aug 27, 2013 2:17 PM

If i see Nassibs name on a Buffalo post one more time im going to freak out. They had too many holes to draft another QB in the 4th. its common damn sense

13. marima07 says: Aug 27, 2013 2:29 PM

Writing off the Bills is a bad idea, but the coach shouldn’t be the one seen holding the pen.

Why was the announcement even made that Tuel was starting Week 1, if Marrone is now saying that there’s still a chance Manuel will play? He has to make the decision and then give as many reps as possible to the starter, from now until the opener.

Otherwise the Bills end up with a Blaine Gabbert situation, a QB destined to fail after being thrown in as a starter in Week 3.

14. bullcharger says: Aug 27, 2013 2:29 PM

rabidbillsfan says:Aug 27, 2013 1:54 PM

——————

A) The Patriots DO have playmakers on defense. Wilfork, Mayo, Talib, McCourty (at Safety), Jones, Hightower. Last year they had the best turn over margin in the league. Pass defense was an issue, but they have many playmakers.

B) It doesn’t matter if the Bills can stop the run. That is counter intuitive. The Patriots have one of the best passing offenses in the league. It won’t change completely with the new guys… If you make Brady throw it he will do it successfully. Don’t forget Brady made Welker, Branch, Givens, etc. Not the other way around.

C) The Bills won’t have Fitzpatrick back there this game, instead it will be a happless rookie (even if it is Manuel). The Patriots are great at stopping the run. They will put it into the Buffalo QBs hands to win the game. I just don’t see that working out well.

15. pftstory says: Aug 27, 2013 2:53 PM

CJ Spiller vs a defense that can focus heavily on the run, and a QB, who will be a rookie and by nature will possess a high probability of turning it over, is not a scenario I would bet on.
    Sure, the Bills could pull it off. The 80 hockey team won.

I wouldn’t base it on the Bills stopping the run. Even if they do stop it, the Bills do need to score, and may not outscore the Pats D.

16. rabidbillsfan says: Aug 27, 2013 3:34 PM

Apparently I’m the only one that watches football. If I remeber correctly, and I do because I was at the game, the Bills lost in Buffalo last season because they were run all over by the Pats in the second half, not because of Brady. The second game in NE came down to the last play, so Brady or not, your point is moot. The Buffalo Defense is better, the Pats D is not. I’ll give you Wilfork, but listing the others is like me putting Ron Brooks, Kiko Alonso and Aaron Williams as Buffal playmakers. Danny Amendila is no Wes Welker, and the system made all of those players, even Brady. And go ahead and focus on the run, or even Spiller for that matter, we have reivers that can get behind your corners. I would take Tuel over Fitz any day. Again, thia will just make evrybody look that much more foolish when the Bills win, considering the Pats are already 1-0. Scoring 9 points on detroit in your dress rehersal, and seeing Brady get hammered makes me chuckle at the thought of anybody even looking past this game.

17. yanksbills says: Aug 27, 2013 4:20 PM

If the Bills win it will be thanks to the defense. Gilmore is out and Byrd is pouting. I’m not very hopeful.

18. mackcarrington says: Aug 27, 2013 5:19 PM

“knock off the rust”? He’s been working out since May. He’s not going to build up that much rust with 2 weeks off.

19. EJ says: Aug 27, 2013 5:51 PM

buddysguys says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:17 PM

================================================
    Agreed. That is why Buffalo took a chance on a undrafted-free agent in Jeff Tuel, who by the way looks like a nice find. He already looks better than Geno Smith, who the so called “Draft Experts” had as the most NFL ready QB in this past draft. There was way too many needs in this years draft to take more than 1 QB in rounds 1-7. Please people get off the Nassib talk!