Joe Looney says he’s not a dirty player

Joe Looney AP

Joe Looney knows what it looks like, which is why he wanted to try to clear his name.

The 49ers backup guard, who dove at the knee of Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams Sunday night, said he meant no harm.

I tried to find him after the game to apologize, to let him know I’m not that kind of player who’s trying to hurt guys and maliciously take violent hits at people” Looney said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “I’ve been injured myself. I know what it’s like. . . .

“I didn’t try to take a dirty cheap shot at him,” Looney said. “I was just trying to finish my block. I meant no harm by the block at all.”

Williams escaped without any ligament damage, though he could still miss some time. Looney’s block might not have been illegal, but it was far enough from the play to be completely unnecessary.

“I’ve always been taught to play to the whistle,” Looney said. “I’m not out on the field trying to hurt anybody. I hope Kevin is all right. I was just trying to do what I was coached, and play 100 percent to the whistle. I’m just trying to make the football team.”

And that’s the tacit admission from a second-year player who spent his rookie season on IR. He’s trying to make a roster, while a six-time Pro Bowler is trying to survive another preseason. That leads young players to do things they might not otherwise, in hopes of making a name for themselves, or showing up on film.

Unfortunately for Looney, the film shows him making a bad decision.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
40 Responses to “Joe Looney says he’s not a dirty player”
  1. DaveKShape says: Aug 27, 2013 7:59 AM

The hit certainly looked dirty, but maybe it really was just a “gone wrong” situation by a dude trying to play hard.

Also, props to this guy for trying to apologize/explain himself after the fact. So many people today are conditioned to just dig into their position and defend themselves/deny responsibility even when they know they’re in the wrong.

2. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 27, 2013 8:01 AM

He’s lying through his teeth. That entire team’s trademark is late, cheap hits after the whistle and generally dirty play. Fraudbaugh deliberately coaches them that way.

3. packerenglishmajor says: Aug 27, 2013 8:04 AM

this just in:
    Bozo says he’s not a clown.

Nixon says he’s not a crook.

4. greymares says: Aug 27, 2013 8:21 AM

There’s no need for an apology it’s the game of football. 2 choices play the game physical or write a blog about it.

5. vikingsnorth says: Aug 27, 2013 8:25 AM

Dirty.

6. aa1829 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:25 AM

Warren Sapp took the all time worst cheap shot on the Packers left tackle, yet gets a pass, and a job on the networks. WTF

7. vikingsnorth says: Aug 27, 2013 8:27 AM

He had all the time in the world to NOT do the one thing that can end a players career. It wasn’t a bang bang play that some players get fined on.

8. halen11 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:28 AM

Not a dirty player? That’s not for you to decide, Mr. Looney. We, the impartial and well reasoned residents of PFT Comments Section will be the judge of that.

9. dublindemonszfl says: Aug 27, 2013 8:32 AM

Dude it’s on film, you did in front of millions. You’re a dirty player, and in the sights of D-linemen across the league. D-linemen aren’t dirty their just mean!

10. goldrush36 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:35 AM

Tell your next team Looney. You were already likely to get cut anyway

11. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:35 AM

I believe this nice young man.

12. officialgame says: Aug 27, 2013 8:36 AM

Just from a fan watching the game Looney’s hit was ridicules and he needs to think about it for awhile. At minimum he should be given a two game suspension.

13. 49erstim says: Aug 27, 2013 8:38 AM

I’m glad Williams is alright and I hope him a very speedy recovery. I hope the coaches pull Looney aside and make sure this doesn’t happen again.

14. sactown9er916 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:50 AM

At least he owned it… Still a dirty play

15. jimmyt says: Aug 27, 2013 8:58 AM

This guy is crazy, insane. He’s looney I tell ya.

16. reesesteel23 says: Aug 27, 2013 9:14 AM

“….. I was just trying to do what I was coached, and play 100 percent to the whistle.”

Hmm….go on….

17. jpb12 says: Aug 27, 2013 9:28 AM

Why do guys do stuff and then say “That’s not who I am”. ???

Of course that’s who you are. How else does that crap happen?

18. monkeyhateclean says: Aug 27, 2013 9:31 AM

What else was he going to say? “Yep, I like to roll up on guys’ knees and end their careers.”?? Might as well ask the cat if it ate the canary.

A better question is why even ask him if takes cheap-shots, or bother to report his denial that he’s dirty. Its on film.

19. monkeyhateclean says: Aug 27, 2013 9:33 AM

And if the league wants to continue pretending that it cares about player health, this guy won’t see an NFL paycheck for a good long while.

20. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 27, 2013 9:49 AM

I’m sure he’s a fine person but there was no reason to go directly for the knee on that hit. I can’t believe it isn’t illegal to target the knee when you could easily block higher.

21. vikingsgohard says: Aug 27, 2013 9:54 AM

“Playing to the whistle” is not an excuse ?… He could have just as easily engaged KWill up high to finish that block?!… There was zero reason to go low in the given situation …well unless your not much of a blocker

22. thefhaloanguy says: Aug 27, 2013 10:02 AM

Cheap shot from an artist on a cheap shot team.

23. thefhaloanguy says: Aug 27, 2013 10:08 AM

2 teams that seem to have a ,lot of cheap shooters; 49er’s and Detroit. probably comes straight from leadership.

24. capsfan19 says: Aug 27, 2013 10:26 AM

Im only commenting because his name is looney. Wow. LOOONAAAYY TOONZ

25. purpleguy says: Aug 27, 2013 10:55 AM

He may not be a dirty player, but that was a dirty hit. Provided he makes an NFL roster, his future acts will determine if he really is a dirty player. If he apologized because he meant it, great. But if he apologized to minimize a fine, screw him.

26. zn0rseman says: Aug 27, 2013 11:02 AM

Didn’t this happen last year when the 49ers got beat by the Vikings? I think I remember Jared Allen getting hit low in the knee, mikes away from the play, from behind, by 49ers lineman.

Also, now that I think about it…

The same exact thing happened when the 49ers played the Seahawks last year. Anthony Davis was fined for it.

So, I guess maybe Looney is right…

He did what he was coached to do?

27. neer music says: Aug 27, 2013 11:49 AM

i hope he gets cut.

28. purpwalk says: Aug 27, 2013 12:05 PM

go for looney’s knees, before the whistle blows, of course

29. redandgoldhitman52 says: Aug 27, 2013 12:40 PM

i love the haters from crappy teams commenting on 49ers post. that cracks me up. dont stop. it makes my day.

30. 4ever9er says: Aug 27, 2013 12:45 PM

1. I don’t condone dirty play
    2. I don’t believe it was a cheap shot, the last time I checked cut blocking was legal in the NFL
    *3. Looney was playing through the whistle, Williams was letting up (he should be playing through the whistle)
    5. All and I mean All OL coaches teach the cut block and they don’t shy away from it.
    6. I would suggest that the majority of you watch your own teams OL and stop all of this senseless whining
    7. I know that some of you will say wait until it happens to a 49er, I expect defensive players to get cut in every game that I watch 9ers or not.

Here are some examples of dirty play that I have witnessed as a former player and coach;
    Kneeing or punching someone in the groin coming out of a pile, placing a thumb or fist in the side of the neck or rib area while in or getting out of a pile, going after a players known injury, putting a helmet or face mask on a shin or wrist, stepping on someone’s hand or ankle when it’s exposed, punching a player under the helmet just to name a few. Cut blocking isn’t dirty it’s part of the game.

*I wish Bubba Paris had the guts to keep playing and cut block Leonard Marshall in 1991, we may already have 6 Rings!
    9ers Today~9ers Tomorrow~9ers Forever

31. pack13queens0 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:24 PM

Maybe Kevin Williams & the Vikings fans should just quit crying. The hit was 100% clean so get over it.

32. 64post says: Aug 27, 2013 2:45 PM

aaroncurryisbust says:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:01 AM
    This, from a fan of a team that defines cheating and cheap shots, that’s the Pete Carroll way. Remember Manningham getting his ACL/PCL ripped by a Seahawk helmet to the knee while poor Mario was being stood up by a DB that couldn’t get him to the ground. Karma is coming.

33. simplesimon1 says: Aug 27, 2013 3:04 PM

OK…

The hit was dirty. Fine, it’s obvious. It was also unnecessary.

Two things aside from that though.

1) What in the heck are starters still in the game against guys trying everything to make a team? That’s how guys get injured.

2) Sorry, Vikings fans, but no franchise is model when it comes to being cheap. I remember Jared Allen punching guys in the junk last year, everybody just laughed. I remember time after time people head hunting every time Calvin Johnson caught the ball against you too. Just imagine if the head hunting was against your star, AP, or if it was Suh that punched your O-lineman….there would have been 20 front page stories about it.

Cheap shots everywhere. Time to move on and hopefully this young man doesn’t do anything lke this again.

34. jayniner says: Aug 27, 2013 3:58 PM

From the NFL:

“The NFL agreed with the opinion of San Francisco 49ers guard Joe Looney: His hit on Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams was not a “dirty” play. It wasn’t illegal at all, an NFL spokesman confirmed Tuesday to NFL.com.”

35. zn0rseman says: Aug 27, 2013 4:26 PM

simplesimon1 says:

The hit was dirty. Fine, it’s obvious. It was also unnecessary.
    ——————————-

——————————-
    Wait, what?!?

First off, nobody was headhunting Calvin Johnson. That is completely false. Second, Allen punched former teammate Ray Edwards after telling Edwards he was going to do it if Edwards blew him up.

Jared Allen; “I told him; You run me over and I’m going to punch you square in the wiener dude. ”

And yeah, that was hilarious. Even Edwards laughed about it.

36. simplesimon1 says: Aug 27, 2013 4:41 PM

znorseman:

“Wait, what?!?

First off, nobody was headhunting Calvin Johnson.”

Are you kidding?!!! Every catch he made in the game had a LB or safety leave his feet and aim high. It was beyond obvious. In fact, there was a fine over it and CJ had to be held out of practice over it with concussion like symptoms. But, class act that he is, he actually said that’s the way the game is played and it doesn’t surprize him that teams do try to do things to get him out of the game.

After that, sorry, but I stand by what I said. It wouldn’t matter who he was bagging, if it was Suh or Fairley, suspension without a doubt. I like Allen so it doesn’t bother me much, I was simply pointing out the double standard. Every game Clay Matthews gets in people’s faces after the whistle, so does Watt. They hit the QB on the late side as he releases the ball, etc. But, lord regret Suh does…that comes with a 15 yard penalty and talk of a possible suspension all week. Also get to hear article after article about the undisciplined Lions yet they were actually one of the least penalized teams last year, personal fouls and other penalties. But when they do it they are a dirty team, when the 49ers or one of the other darlings do it, it’s aggressive tough play.

37. hendeeze says: Aug 27, 2013 5:43 PM

NFL determines it was a legal block

So all the ones that wanted him cut of fined, go cry somewhere else.

38. briank1ne says: Aug 28, 2013 12:13 AM

wait… the niners are dirty? just cause one guy made a mistake doesnt mean the organization is dirty. wanna talk about dirty, cheating liars? go to the seahawks forum. there was a hit on i think kyle williams where after the play he was “clapping” the ball and got hit by two defenders so blatently…it was the biggest cheapshot ive ever seen.

39. oldlineman says: Aug 28, 2013 6:50 AM

Sure, go till the whistle young man, but be aware of the situation. The play was beyond your area, just a nudge high to get in the way of a heavy DT would do the trick. Not cutting low.
    Do to others as you would like done to you.

40. lindacaseauthor says: Aug 29, 2013 12:14 PM

Kevin Williams is a well loved and respected player across the NFL. I’d say Joe Looney watch out–you just made yourself a marked man.