Jonathan Stewart to start year on PUP

Jonathan Stewart AP

The news Jonathan Stewart heard from his hometown doctor apparently wasn’t good.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Panthers running back will begin the season on the reserve/PUP list, knocking him out of at least the first six games.

Stewart visited with team doctor/foot and ankle specialist Dr. Robert Anderson today to get an update on his condition after offseason ankle surgery.

Not having him for the first half of the season will give DeAngelo Williams a chance to be the primary ballcarrier again, but also opens the doors for Mike Tolbert and Kenjon Barner to have larger roles.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Jonathan Stewart to start year on PUP”
  1. whenimrightimright says: Aug 27, 2013 1:41 PM

Stewarts hurt?…. typical

2. bgm9876 says: Aug 27, 2013 2:06 PM

should i drop him on my fantasy team?? He’s probably out the first 6 games of the season.

3. bgm9876 says: Aug 27, 2013 2:18 PM

that means yes?

4. tombstone7 says: Aug 27, 2013 2:57 PM

Man, I watched this young man play @ Oregon and he was a stud. Aside from the 1 good year he had two years ago, I think, he’s been non–dependable.

Might be his last year in Carolina….

5. pwebster919 says: Aug 27, 2013 3:04 PM

a 40 million dollar running back ladies and gents.

6. mrlaloosh says: Aug 27, 2013 3:30 PM

ATTENTION ATTENTION!! To all posters on this site. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, CARES ABOUT YOUR FANTASY TEAM! Except maybe your fantasy girlfriend. NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!

7. jgedgar70 says: Aug 27, 2013 3:45 PM

Well, now I don’t feel like I was just making a “homer” pick when I took DeAngelo for my fantasy team. Sucks for the Panthers though – unless Barner has found a cure for whatever allergy his arm gets when he has a football in it.

8. patch24680 says: Aug 27, 2013 4:53 PM

Seems like the Panthers are paying Stewart an awful lot of money to sit on the bench. When was the last time he actually played? Hmmm…..

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 27, 2013 8:37 PM

I would say Williams is THE only option at this point. Barner is a fumbler and Tolbert is a FB that runs like one.

10. tgcpanthersfan says: Aug 28, 2013 8:03 AM

@patch24680 even though Stewart has been hurt, alot, he has only missed 9 games (2 in 2010, 7 last year).

But to answer you on the Awful lot of money part.

Stewarts Contract is a 37.8 million dollar Contract. Of that only 22 mil is Guaranteed. 2013 he gets a 715,000 base Salary with 2.5 million in a “signing Bonus” so no he isn’t getting Paid an awful lot this year. He base Salary only becomes an issue in 2015 when it jumps from 1.5 (in 2014) to 4.25 million considering he wont be making the 6 million in incentive based bonuses.