Kraft: I’m rooting for Tebow, he’s a joy to be around

Tim Tebow, Robert Kraft AP

Patriots owner Robert Kraft has made no secret that he’s a big fan of quarterback Tim Tebow. And with final roster cuts approaching, Kraft is rooting for Tebow to make his team.

Kraft told reporters today that he’s in Tebow’s corner and would love to be signing paychecks for Tebow this season.

“I’m rooting for him big-time. He’s been real joy to have around. I see why he has such a strong national following,” Kraft said, via Mike Reiss ‏of ESPNBoston.com.

Kraft added, however, that he’s not the one who will decide whether Tebow is a Patriot this season. That job falls to head coach Bill Belichick, and Kraft said he trusts Belichick unconditionally.

“He has a pretty good record doing it,” Kraft said.

For Belichick, the decision will ultimately come down to whether he wants two quarterbacks or three on this year’s 53-man roster. If it’s two, the two will be Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett. If it’s three, Tebow gets the spot. Kraft has a rooting interest, but he’s not going to tell Belichick what to do.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
94 Responses to “Kraft: I’m rooting for Tebow, he’s a joy to be around”
  1. sdboltaction says: Aug 27, 2013 6:13 PM

Guess Tebow will be on the couch lol

2. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Kraft’s comments on Tebow’s ability to play football must have been redacted.

But hey, he’s a nice guy who’s famous, that’s gotta count for something right?

3. chut26 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM

AMAZING STORY! I was so sad when I got to the end of it.

4. buffalobills716 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Why wouldn’t u say that?with ur questionable three super bowls wins. With that cheater hoodie coach of yours… #Cheaters
    Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile

5. bennyb82 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Can’t Kraft just call up Goodell and tell him to change the roster limit to 54?

6. fin72 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:17 PM

Kraft has a rooting interest, but he’s not going to tell Belichick what to do.
    ______________________

Essentially in an indirect way he just did.

7. dalcow4 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Let the hate begin…

8. squared80 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Cut.

9. raiderman81 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:19 PM

I feel the same way

~ The almighty

10. lance19 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Emily Ratajkowski is also an absolute joy to be around. Maybe she’ll be returning punts?

11. steelers6rings says: Aug 27, 2013 6:19 PM

In other words, Tebow will be cut.

12. chaseutley says: Aug 27, 2013 6:20 PM

Kraft: “I’m rooting for Aaron Hernandez. He’d kill me if I didn’t.” (allegedly)

13. squared80 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:20 PM

What does it tell you that a ton of no-name, undrafted free agents are rocketing up the depth charts to fill voids left by injuries, murders, and departures… and Tim Tebow still won’t make the team.

14. allhailkingflacco says: Aug 27, 2013 6:22 PM

I think we all know how this story ends.

15. alwaysright1981 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:23 PM

Kraft: “I’d really like some dumb team to blow a draft pick on him in a trade. That’s really why we have this no talent hack around.”

16. eagleg17 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Tebow will be released and picked up by the Jets.

17. thelastpieceofcheese says: Aug 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Throughout his career Kraft has shown he is a stand up guy and a benevolent father figure.

His record speaks for itself.

18. thepvyharvin says: Aug 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Being a joy to be around doesn’t cut in the real world. It is all about performance. He does inspire people. Perhaps Tebow could be the first Patriot male cheerleader??

19. 480volt says: Aug 27, 2013 6:26 PM

Rooting for Tebow and he’s not the one to decide if he makes the team??? Really?? Last time I checked he owns the Pats and he’s the one who signs the checks like me as a business owner so I strongly disagree….

20. aaronfraudgers says: Aug 27, 2013 6:26 PM

21. firestarter0728 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:26 PM

He may be a “joy to have around”, but he still sucks as a QB.

I wish Tebow’s evangelical fans would wake up. People who criticize him are not “haters”. Nobody hates Tim Tebow, they’re just telling the truth. Anyone with a brain knows he can’t play quarterback. Watching him is truly embarrassing.

22. eagleg17 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:27 PM

Kraft, my friends say I’m also a pleasure to be around; want to send me a paycheck too?

23. ronmexicothecoachkiller says: Aug 27, 2013 6:29 PM

” Kraft has a rooting interest, but he’s not going to tell Belichick what to do.”

I think he just did.

24. zeke2517 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:31 PM

That’s nice. So all the nice guys who giggle and babble about God should be given multimillion dollar professional football contracts with little regard to how good they are at playing professional football. What a pleasant world we live in.

25. dsully69 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:32 PM

Mission accomplished, the questions the media are asking Kraft about are about Tebow, not Aaron Hernandez.

26. zeke2517 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:32 PM

Oh… and outside of the two times Belichick uses him to taunt the Jets, what’s the over/under on how many times Tebow steps on the field this season?

27. tindeaux says: Aug 27, 2013 6:33 PM

It’s good to be liked by someone, who makes it matter most!

Haters: suck it up!!!

28. ibreathefootball says: Aug 27, 2013 6:33 PM

I’m a big Tebow supporter and Florida Gators fan.. And even I think it’s time to become a Mike Alstott/Brian Leonard type of player. He was #1 in pass efficiency all 3 years starting at Florida, and 2nd, 4th, and 1st in the whole nation those 3 years in pass efficiency. But the reality is, he’s gotten too bulky up top, making his motion slower than ever. He threw the ball better at Nease HS than he does right now. He’s too good of a runner, to be throwing the ball. Good luck Tebow, it’s time tell Bill Belichick that you want either #20, #36 or #40, because they are all available for your fullback spot.

29. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Aug 27, 2013 6:33 PM

I would argue his “record of doing it”. As far as roster’s are concerned the Pats have done a terrible job with theirs. Tom brady is a huge security blanket. As far as drafting and signing free agents though. Well I think they out think themselves a little there. Taking risks on risky players in both areas has not been working. Even if they have gotten players on the cheap (HaynesWorth). I know BB asks his players to do a lot and his draft board can sometimes only have 10-15 players on it but jeez.. Imagine how good these past few years could have been if only he hit on idk 30-40% of his draft picks. (I’m sure its lower than this not 100% on that though)

30. iowalion72 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:34 PM

Wow. I don’t get the Tebow hate. All he said was that he was a pleasant person…and you folks want to argue about that. Yikes.

31. 6ball says: Aug 27, 2013 6:35 PM

Whether Tebow or anyone else makes the team Is entirely up to Belichick. He sets the roster.

32. ibreathefootball says: Aug 27, 2013 6:36 PM

Scratch that, #20 and #40 are retired. #36 only lol

33. tjacks7 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:38 PM

aaronfraudgers says:

——–

That defense that was so good because they were on the field 20 minutes a game and were always rested? The same defense that was so good during Kyle Ortons 1-4 (I think) time at QB?

34. eagleg17 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:38 PM

Belichek; cheater cheater pumpkin eater!

35. vertskate900 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:40 PM

Aug 27, 2013 6:26 PM

—————————————

Yet the Broncos were 1-4 before Tebow took over as the starter. Explain that one, genius.

36. barometerrrrising says: Aug 27, 2013 6:42 PM

“I’m rooting for him big-time. He’s been a real joy to have around.”

Didn’t Mr. Kraft say exactly the same thing about Wes Welker?

37. dalcow4 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:43 PM

“Wow. I don’t get the Tebow hate.”
    —–

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.”

38. skoobyfl says: Aug 27, 2013 6:43 PM

Jesus came back as a QB.

39. truths4all says: Aug 27, 2013 6:51 PM

Associated Press is reporting that the Jets are trying to trade for Tebow. They are offering Geno Smith straight up and the Patriots said NO!

40. armoderate says: Aug 27, 2013 6:56 PM

And you think Mallet is any better? His stats have been just as atrocious so let’s get back to reality, Smith. And how many regular season games has Mallet won again? At this point, I think if Brady goes down, the Patriots are cooked either way. Neither backup is the future for the Patriots. Next year, New England needs to figure out a way to get up in the draft since there should be a lot of quality QB’s.

41. donnymacjack says: Aug 27, 2013 6:57 PM

Talk about your opposite poles…. Hernandez and Tebow. Ya gotta root for Tebow.

42. sd5547 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:59 PM

I am sure Kraft can communicate with his late former wife through spiritual Tim Tebow, that should give him a roster spot.

43. warhammer420 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM

Just release Tebow so he can get on with his life already. You know, like get married to his soul mate (Skip Bayless)

44. kenstabler says: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM

I’m just rooting for you to get the ring back that you had Putined from you. As for Tebow, I hope you waste a roster spot on him as a QB.

45. thefiesty1 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM

I just lost all confidence in Kraft as an owner. Maybe he’s been drinking Jerry Jones cool aide. Just as ridiculous.

46. hatesycophants says: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM

It’s time to put grandpa in a home.

47. ProDolphinsTalk says: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM

No question he makes the team. The NE Patriots of 2013 have an image problem and it’s hurting the brand in Kraft’s eyes.

48. aldante66 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:03 PM

Sadly he will make the team and take a space from someone else Mr Kraft because you want your jesus feel good freek on the team and your the freekin owner.
    It was you who went out and got him so don’t give us the BS the coach makes the decision when the coach didn’t want him in the first place.

49. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 27, 2013 7:05 PM

Forget everything else and just consider his football skills. He is fighting to be a 3rd string quarterback on his third team. He can’t play the position. Sorry to break the news to his followers, but he isn’t good enough to be a wideout or a tight end. Being an all time college player doesn’t guarantee you success in the big boy league.

50. descendency says: Aug 27, 2013 7:05 PM

chut26 says:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM
    AMAZING STORY! I was so sad when I got to the end of it.

————–

Still a better love story than Twilight.

51. clarencewhorley says: Aug 27, 2013 7:06 PM

@andrejohnsonforpresident

The Pats draft poorly is greatly exaggerated.

Of course there have been some misses but in the trenches Bill picks studs. Wait till Chandler Jones has 12-15 sacks this year.

52. eagleg17 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:07 PM

If Tebow has any chance of staying on this team it won’t be at the Quarterback position, but rather the missionary position.

53. surfinbird1 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:07 PM

Why do people keep sayin’ there’s so much hate for Tebow? I haven’t many posts over the years by people who say they hate him. Mostly I see posts that say he sucks as a qb. What’s wrong with that opinion? That’s not hate.

54. turner28 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:09 PM

zeke2517 says:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:31 PM

——-

Is it your money? Why do you care? You sound kind of jealous. Hey if he can get paid millions of dollars for being a nice guy good for him.

55. donmcg2012 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:09 PM

The circus continues. Not sure which is the better circus, Kraft and his old age senility or Tebow still being a headline. Sick of both. Roger, could you slam down your ego hammer on these two please?

56. tkm678 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:28 PM

buffalobills716 says: Aug 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile
    __________________________

And your team with its un questionable 4 super bowl losses…#Chokers

Sent from my Raspberry…..

57. nflfan1326 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:31 PM

@vertskate900

Tebow finished 1-4 with that same defense.

58. dlbpatsfan says: Aug 27, 2013 7:39 PM

They probably talk about religion together.

59. deertay says: Aug 27, 2013 7:45 PM

He’ll be the official pre-game and half-time speech giver.

60. whiningpatriotfans says: Aug 27, 2013 7:50 PM

Smug fraud. Get out of my face and stop trying to bleed the town of foxboro and surrounding towns with your greediness. What a phony.

61. tedmurph says: Aug 27, 2013 7:59 PM

Tebow is lucky Stanzi didn’t slide through.

62. joewilliesshnoz says: Aug 27, 2013 8:01 PM

Too bad that Kraft isn’t more like George Steinbrenner, then he could tell his coach to do what he says.

63. toppdogg51 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:02 PM

@buffalobills716,
    When I read comments like the one you posted, it lets me know that your team must really suck for you to continue to live in the past. What’s wrong? Your team never makes it to the playoffs? Please stay current.

64. stonedwhitetrash says: Aug 27, 2013 8:04 PM

Bench Brady and make Tebow your starter and spread that joy around

65. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Aug 27, 2013 8:08 PM

I am rooting for him too. Do not want Tebowmania to ever end.

66. piratefreedom says: Aug 27, 2013 8:09 PM

To keep Tebow the Pats will need to cut a useful player that may be needed down the road.
    Hell, they’ll have to do that anyway but I don’t want to lose someone like Devlin, Washington, Fells, Hoomanawanui etc just to keep Tebow

67. TheWizard says: Aug 27, 2013 8:10 PM

They probably talk about religion together.

Your point?

68. TheWizard says: Aug 27, 2013 8:13 PM

What’s wrong with that opinion? That’s not hate.
    Yeah, I don’t recall any personal insults or anything.

69. jonkchar says: Aug 27, 2013 8:16 PM

good cop bad cop

70. gmsingh says: Aug 27, 2013 8:24 PM

I wonder if Kraft made some macaroni with that cheese.

71. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 27, 2013 8:27 PM

Tebow draws media coverage and probably puts butts in the seats too. But can they justify having him on the roster as the 3rd QB? Tough call.

72. nukeslovesit says: Aug 27, 2013 8:41 PM

If Tebow makes the team, does it make him a cheater too ?

73. annes22 says: Aug 27, 2013 8:44 PM

Talk about sending the Coach a message, he wants Tebow on the team, excuse me!! He may not be very good, but the owner wants him. Lets see if Coach Bill thinks he can play this game.

74. northstarnic says: Aug 27, 2013 9:09 PM

Yay! Boy did I miss tebow articles! Does this mean we can resume wall to wall coverage of one of the NFL’s worst QBs? Oh! That’s just great!

75. atkins63 says: Aug 27, 2013 9:18 PM

@aaronfraudgers

Denver’s defense was 28th… loser of 24-26 games out of the previous 36.

Other than that…I like the way Tebow plays the QB position when the seatbelts are taken off. Reminds me of the time when men played QB.

76. mljohns says: Aug 27, 2013 9:29 PM

I love the precedent this sets…

I’m a hell of a guy and I had 1 more passing yard than Tebow while sitting on my couch! Sign me and put me in, Coach!!!

77. lrical says: Aug 27, 2013 9:44 PM

That’s cuz this years madden lets me change players positions in the off season. I got plans for tebow

78. jayquintana says: Aug 27, 2013 9:53 PM

Essentially, Kraft has told Belichick to give Tebow every opportunity possible to make the team.

If he doesn’t, will Tebow fans STILL claim he wasn’t given a fair chance and that he was a victim of bias against Christians?

79. ravenheath21 says: Aug 27, 2013 10:01 PM

The Bills could use a 6th QB

80. dlbpatsfan says: Aug 27, 2013 10:17 PM

@TheWizard

“My point” is that they probably talk about religion together, didn’t say anything was wrong with it. Just my point, it’s a comment section. We leave comments.

81. bigdaddy44 says: Aug 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Won Heisman Trophy. Led, and I mean LED his team to two National Championships. 7-4 record as NFL regular season starter. Five come from behind victories. Four overtime victories. Threw for over 300 yards in first playoff game, including 80 yard game winning TD against Pittsburgh in overtime. All this for a T-H-I-R-D S-T-R-I-N-G QB for the Patriots. How many of you can name all the 3rd string NFL QBs? His first offseason there was a strike, and no camp in a wasted summer. He spent a year with the Jets, the most ridiculous team in football, with no chance to learn or play. He is now in a position where he belongs, with a real chance to develope, not be a sideshow. The people who want this third string QB cut are called haters. That is not fair. Oh, they are still haters, but they should also be called complete morons!

82. wwwmattcom says: Aug 27, 2013 10:45 PM

Not like that fellow Hernandez. Kraft would never want to associate with the likes of him.

83. vertskate900 says: Aug 27, 2013 11:00 PM

nflfan1326 says: Aug 27, 2013 7:31 PM

@vertskate900

Tebow finished 1-4 with that same defense.

———————

Yeah, and ultimately winning enough games after the Kyle Orton led 1-4 hole to finish with a post-season berth and winning a playoff game while making the Steelers vaunted defense look silly.

84. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Aug 27, 2013 11:04 PM

@clarencew/eblahhblahhblahhh

“Wilfork, Highhtower, Jones, Spikes, Mayo, McCourty, Denard, Volmer, Mankins, Solder, Gronk, Hernandez (pre-murder) Ridley, Vereen all drafted by Bill. Not to mention guys who play like Marcus Cannon, Mesko (punter) Goskowski (kicker) and Tom Brady”

I would Consider Wilfork the only good thing on there and mayo. Mccourty isn’t bad and its not like he knew tom brady was tom brady. Ridley could be really good too and idk about Vereen. The pats olineman are always solid but I think Tom brady makes their avg lineman look really good.

All in all I feel like BB could do better in the draft. From what I understand he wanted JJ but thank god that didn’t happen. Wilfork and JJ on the same team is painful to imagine. As the Pats go up 40 and you still can’t get a pass off.

85. xinellum says: Aug 27, 2013 11:42 PM

If Kraft likes Tenow as he says then whether or not he is a Patriots player may be one thing but he may very well end up a Patriots employee in some capacity or heading up one of Kraft’s businesses, like the cheese business. Tebow seriously is one of the most cheesey people I have seen in forever.

86. rooneyruleblues says: Aug 27, 2013 11:52 PM

It is pretty easy to see that the Patriots want to ensure that they eventually have the first openly gay NFL player.

87. mrplow3 says: Aug 28, 2013 12:06 AM

“Joy to be around or not, the fact of the matter is that Tebow’s a horrible QB who was carried in 2011 by the Broncos defense.”

So why couldn’t they carry Kyle Orton?

How quickly we forget Tebow only got a chance that year because the team was 1-4 and basically gave up on their season.

88. brohamma says: Aug 28, 2013 4:10 AM

It sounds to me that no matter what happens, between Tebow and playing in the NFL, the owner of one of the most diversified holding companies in the world (Mr. Kraft) is going to make room for their future “face of the company.”

89. txgator24 says: Aug 28, 2013 7:42 AM

If I am the owner and I said what Mr. Kraft just did, you better believe MY coach would hear “Keep him”.

90. tom48212 says: Aug 28, 2013 8:22 AM

Can Tebow be team Chaplain?

91. patsfan13 says: Aug 28, 2013 8:23 AM

To the Buffalo Bill’s fan above: The Pats could send out the third team with Tebow at QB, and still stomp the crap out of the Bills. And leave the cameras at home.

92. gmsingh says: Aug 28, 2013 8:32 AM

> Tebow draws media coverage and probably puts butts in the seats too.

That’s a really good point: he might be a draw for both the LGBT community and the televangelist crowd.

93. jolink653 says: Aug 28, 2013 9:50 AM

@ andrejohnsonforpresident

You consider Wilfork the only good player because you don’t know anything about the team…Most of those guys on the list have only been in the league for a year or two and they’re nowhere near their primes yet…You don’t consider Gronk to be good? Really? He’s the best tight end in the league and would have shown it again last season if he hadn’t broken his arm…Ridley is one of the best young rushers in the league, Vereen is a great compliment and will be able to showcase his ability as a pass-catcher more this year…The offensive line is always near the top of the league talent-wise, Mankins is consistently a Pro Bowler, Chandler Jones is universally looked upon as a great up-and-coming pass rusher, Dennard was a first round talent that Belichick got in the 7th round, Mayo is the leader of the defense, Spikes is a bigtime thumper and energy guy, and aside from the murder, Hernandez and Gronk were on pace to form the best TE 1-2 combination in history…Every coach can do better in the draft; no one ever hits on every pick and every coach makes mistakes on high picks, but I’d still take Belichick over almost all the other coaches…Good teams stay good through the draft; you don’t stay as consistently good as the Patriots have been if you can’t draft well and since the Patriots almost never splurge in the free agency market, they must be getting their talent from somewhere

94. patsfan51 says: Aug 28, 2013 1:17 PM

Lookout folks! If Tebow makes the roster on any NFL team, Brett Favre will be making a comeback!