Packers’ DuJuan Harris out for season with knee injury

Getty Images

Packers running back DuJuan Harris got a second opinion on his knee injury today, and it wasn’t good.

Harris will miss the entire season, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy announced.

Last season Harris went from unemployed in September to the Packers’ practice squad in October to the active roster in December. He began to emerge as an important part of the Packers’ offense, starting both playoff games. He’s also listed as the starter on the team’s unofficial depth chart for this season.

With Harris out, the Packers will rely even more on rookies Eddie Lacy and Jonathan Franklin, and veterans Alex Green and James Starks become much more likely to make the 53-man roster.

85 responses to “Packers’ DuJuan Harris out for season with knee injury

1. Its just not even funny. What voodoo priest did the packers upset to constantly be plagued with injuries?

2. Tough loss but these other backs will have to step up. I feel bad for Harris, he is a good young player that i am rooting for.

3. It was nice when Harris came in and provided some running game last season, however it was almost certain Lacy would become the starter. This just confirms it

4. Instead of a “Days without Arrest” counter, this site should have a “Days Since Last Season Ending Injury” counter.

5. Funny how just a month ago it seemed the Packers O-line and run game just could not get any worse. Then Buluga drops, now the RB that was the #1 guy on last years postseason squad?

Ouch! Pack are getting worse and worse!

6. The most benign fall I have ever seen. How does this always happen? Every single year. It is just not an NFL season without the Packers missing 8 starters by Week 4.

7. I hope Eddie Lacy can seize the opportunity. It would be nice to see the Packers at least consider setting the RBs up for success with some sort of blocking. Pre-season weeks one and two they looked ok. This past game was absolutely horrible.

8. But these are the GLORIOUS PACKERS! The storied franchise. How can this happen to GODS team? I’ll tell ya how. He’s sick and tired of hearing about it over the past ten years. How dare anybody say anything negative about the packers. 8)

9. I still think the Pack should line up with 4 Wide, Have ARodge and Young in the backfield. Have them line up, side by side. They can call it the “Double Barrel Shotgun” formation. Who just got the ball snapped to them? Is Vince rolling out with the ball, or did ARodge take it for a rollout pass? Did they just run a QB Trap? This could be the new wave of formations coming….

OK, I am kidding this is obviously a gimmick play

10. Really like this guy, and especially his story. Unfortunately, injury stories like this seldom make it back. Doubt we’ll ever see him again on the Packer’s 53.

11. No doubt, it’s a tough blow for the Packers. But, you know what we do? We pick ourselves up and move forward. Because we’re Warriors. Because it’s about the Next Man Up. Next. Man. Up. We use that phrase as the backbone to a life committed to excellence. The rest of you losers use it as a punchline. We’ll be fine. Go. Pack. Go.

12. Tough break for this fine young player. I hope we see him back and healthy next year.

In the meantime, the Packers know that you don’t win a record 13 World Championships without overcoming some adversity.

13. allday28mvpmvp says: Aug 27, 2013 1:56 PM

Ouch! Pack are getting worse and worse!

—————————–

more bad news Viking fans…Cobb, Nelson and T. Williams are back at practice.

yuck it up!

14. drich1960 says:
    Aug 27, 2013 1:58 PM
    AWESOME! Go Vikes
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    As a Viking fan I dislike the Pack as much as anyone but that comment drich960 made sucked! To wish an injury on a guy that is working hard to get a dream job is just plain wrong. I hope the kid returns and has a good long career.

15. He’s had a rough spring & summer, having a cyst removed from near his lung … so the extra time off to completely heal will do him good.

Plus … we get to keep all our backs and don’t have to cut Starks.

And, so we only beat the Vikings by four touchdowns this year instead of five …. it’s still all good.

16. This is specifically for filthymcnasty, whatjushapped, and the other troll that remarks on all VIKING posts.

I said the football gods are angry, especially after your comments about Kevin Williams….who is bruised, but is ok.

Sorry fellas……you bring it on yourselves!

Erin is probably next…..

17. How many players, league-wide, are out for the year because of pre-season injuries?? It seems like an epidemic.

18. I’m a Vikings fan, and don’t like the Packers, but you hate to see this stuff. The thing is, with the new RBs the Packers have this year, I doubt they’ll miss a beat.

If the Vikings are going to over take the Pack this year, I’d like to see it happen with both team’s best talent on the field.

19. The good news is, when your team doesn’t even attempt to bring in a quality starting runningback, he is easy to replace with the next warm body. Packers are a wild card team as long as they don’t lose Rogers.

20. duece5 says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:24 PM

Sorry fellas……you bring it on yourselves!

Erin is probably next…..

———————————

This forum has the most superstitious group of people I’ve ever seen.

21. To those using a season-ending injury to a 20-something guy trying to make it in the NFL as an excuse to bash a team you don’t like: Get a little perspective.

22. Alright NFC North Trolls, if you want to join me (Tokyo) in a fantasy football league, email me with your PFT handle.

MDS, Mike, you’re welcome to join as well.

It’d be nice to get someone from each team, but Detroit doesn’t really have fans, so…

23. drich1960 says: Aug 27, 2013 1:58 PM

“AWESOME! Go Vikes”

Exactly how is DeJaun Harris blowing his knee out “awesome”? And then you added “Go Vikes”. I’m embarrassed that we are evidently fans of the same team.

24. I just gained a whole new respect for Viking fans, not all, but most of you. We may jab each other on here, but it was nice to see some of the responses on here.

Thumbs up to you guys.

25. I just wanna go on record as a Vikings fan and say that it sucks to have ANY player go injured on ANY squad.

I for one, wanna beat the best, when they are at their best.

Even if they are my division rivals, I don’t wish serious injury on anyone in the league.

And the Packers deserve credit where it is due. Playing through injury is the name of the game these days, not just as a individual but as a team too.

Good luck to the NFC North (toughest division in the league).

26. I’m a Vikings fan and I feel bad for the guy. I don’t wish that upon anyone. However, something is going on with the Packers trainers. Guys get hurt too easily on that team and stay hurt for way too long. They should get better trainers to avoid hammy injuries that keep guys out all year like Jennings and Mathews…

27. conormacleod says:
    _________________________________

Define attempt for me!!……………. Drafting Lacy & Franklin & getting Green & Starks back from injury from last year isn’t an attempt, to make there backfield competitive, then you need to attempt to make more sense. GB don’t need a pro bowl work horse running back… they need a back that is consistent running the ball, can block & catch…. Maybe MN should ATTEMPT to bring in a quality starting QB….

28. drich1960, contra and the other trolls do NOT speak for vikings fans. Please dont judge us by their comments.

Hope Harris gets better and returns next year

29. It’s a nice story when a guy from “the real world” gets his chance to play for any NFL team and makes good on it. Harris deserves a better ending to his inspirational story than this and I hope he gets it next year. Ready or not, Packer defense is going to have to contribute their share this year.

30. The Packers just can’t get a break on that running offense. Just when you think they are trying to build that up, an injury almost demolishes that progress.

31. As a Viking fan I’d like to apologize to all the Packers fans that one of us celebrated your player’s injury.

That’s just not right and there’s no place for that stuff in sports. I hope the young man recovers completely and can play again.

Lacy appears to be your workhorse now, best of luck with him. A good Packers-Vikings rivalry (and let’s not forget the Bears and Lions either) is good for the sport and for us as fans.

32. jayniner says: Aug 27, 2013 3:12 PM

“And the 49ers Defense/ST in my fantasy lineup for week 1 — check”

You decided to start them now because DeJaun Harris is out? You know they still have that one guy, ummm Aaron Rodgers or something? Were you expecting Green Bay to come out and run it down the Niners’ throats?

33. thetokyosandblasteratgmaildotcom says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:51 PM
    Maybe this will work better:

Email me at the above address if you want to be in the PFT NFC N Fantasy League.

Looking to have the draft on Monday night.

___________________________________

Not sure if tokyo troll or real tokyo….errrrrrrr….

34. Wow people are vastly overrating Harris here. He was a nice story late in the year, but he was the best average back amongst a group of backs who could never stay on the field. Theres a reason Thompson drafted two backs this year. Green probably makes it as the third back mainly for his versatility, but Harris wasnt much better talent wise last year. Lacy was pretty much the presumed starter as soon as the Packers drafted him.

35. This is one tough business to succeed in. Every day it’s like crossing a river on the backs of alligators. Who’s a goner today?

36. Tough luck for Harris. He looked really good at times. I’m still not ready to give up on Franklin, however. They just need to get him running outside rather than waiting for holes to open up the middle. He certainly has the speed for it.

37. jayniner says: Aug 27, 2013 3:12 PM

And the 49ers Defense/ST in my fantasy lineup for week 1 — check
    ===========================

FYI, the Packers did drop 31 on ’em in the playoffs last year. Good luck!

38. duece5 says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:24 PM
    Erin is probably next…..
    ////////////////////////////////////

Wrong team. I think he plays for Leslie.

39. Packers fans and Vikings slappies stroking each other is sickening. Every team has injuries. Only Packers fans play the victim.

You all sound like a bunch of sloppy, wet… rhymes with wussies.

40. Hate – please point out all the examples of Packer fans “playing the victim.” Most of the comments about GB getting hit hard are from fans of other teams. You sound… rhymes with some.

41. filthymcnasty1 says:Aug 27, 2013 4:39 PM

What round will that noodle armed Ponder chick go in?

———-

I would expect Rick to take him by Round 3 the way he talks….

42. tough break (x2). cheesebay will never escape the 1-dimensional offense image.
    Also, this further solidifies the medias outlook on gbs dyer “need to toughen up” evaluation.

43. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:01 PM
    There’s no reason to joke about another players season ending injury. That’s tough. Hope he gets better for next year.

With that said, remember when Adrian ran for over 400 yards on you guys last year?
    ……………………………………………………………………………….

And yet the Packers beat the Vikings once again when it counted.

44. No doubt it hurts to lose any player that was counted on, at a position where even more injuries could mount. I don’t see the Pack taking the ball out of their QB hands a lot anyway. Injuries to their WR corps would be worse for them.

45. thetokyosandblaster says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:49 PM

MDS, Mike, you’re welcome to join as well.

10 6
    thetokyosandblasteratgmaildotcom says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:51 PM
    Maybe this will work better:

Looking to have the draft on Monday night.

——————————————

I emailed you on gmail, hit me up tokyo…..