Patriots reach 75-man limit, Tim Tebow survives first cuts

AP

Tim Tebow has survived the first round of roster cuts, as he’s still on the team today after the Patriots reached the 75-man limit.

New England announced that undrafted rookies Evan Landi and Anthony Rashad White were cut to meet the NFL-mandatory 75-player roster.

Although Tebow is the most-watched player on the roster bubble around the league, it’s no surprise that he made it. New England only has three quarterbacks on its roster, and it’s highly unlikely that any team would go into the fourth preseason game with only two quarterbacks.

The big question is whether Tebow will still be on the Patriots’ roster at the end of the day on Saturday, when every team must get down to 53 players. Tebow has not played well in the preseason, and the Patriots have often kept only two quarterbacks on the active roster, so he’s far from a lock to make it. He’ll get an opportunity to show he belongs when the Patriots close out the preseason on Thursday night.

68 responses to “Patriots reach 75-man limit, Tim Tebow survives first cuts

1. I’d like to think he would not be on the roster. There are ten other players that deserve it more than him. But Mc Doosh seems to have something on Belichick, so I think he will stick. No other way to explain all the lousy players he has been allowed to bring in.

2. He’ll play the 4th game. My prediction 12 for 27 125 yards..30 plus yards rushing and maybe a TD. He’ll probably make a few plays where he looks good because he’s playing against other players trying to make the roster or practice squad. So after we can be sure to hear all the Tebowites talk about how good he is that he makes up for his lack of accuracy with his ability to run.

3. He’ll make be a Patriot in uniform come starting day, mark my words.
    will he ever play under center?
    Not No, But Hell No.

I can see him playing special teams, and possibly FB, RB, & TE but that’s a stretch.

4. I love Tebow as a person but I have to admit the only reason he is on the roster is because of who he is and Josh McD. If any other QB put up Tebow’s stats they would be cut instantly and its a shame players that deserve to be on this team more than he does are getting axed instead of him.

5. There is no way Belichek cuts Tebow before using him against the Jets in some way to make them look incompetent. That is how BB works!

6. If anything they won’t cut him until Thursday. That lets him play on Thursday and the Pats don’t have to put one of their real back-ups in harms way.

@nyjetsknicks….. there is no reason to trash the mans faith. That’s clown shoes bro…. typical loud-mouth new yorker. There are plenty of football related reasons to dog the guy, but then again I bet knowing the game isn’t your strong suit.

7. Nice “straight arrow” kid but I’m sorry,this is a total waste of a roster spot. They need to shore up other areas that are way more important than Tebow. Admit the error for once Bill,and move on.

8. @ahostiletakeover

Now pleas explain to me what I don’t understand ?

9. They want him on the practice squad!!! They will use him to simulate the read option in practice. That has been his purpose for being on the roster the whole time!!
    ________________

@kgun80,

Secondly, he would have to clear waivers and I’m not sure Belichick wants to give the Jets a chance to pick him up given their QB situation.

He’ll either make the 53 or be cut, but no practice squad for Tebow.

10. Tebow must have some compromising pictures of Bob Kraft screwing a goat. Why else would he still be on this team, or any other team for that matter?

11. Grogansheroes, if only 10 other people deserve it more than him, that means he is still getting a roster spot because they have 53. And, for anyone thinking he goes to the practice squad, he can’t, he has too many seasons. Now, will he start? No. Will he play a lot? Probably not. Do I hope he stays on the roster to learn? I can think of no better place. And, can I blame the Patriots if they cut him, at this point? No.
    All this being said, I think if he plays well Thurs. he will be around at the beginning of the season. If he performs poorly, they will cut him, but don’t think you are rid of him, because his number will be on speed dial, in case Brady goes down. Tebow is not going to be done in the NFL, no matter how much all the haters wish he will be.

12. The 3 or 4 guys to make the final roster are always shuffled around but Tebow is taking a spot from someone who really deserves it in my opinion.

I’m not hating on the guy, in fact, I think he’s a terrific young man but he sucks as a QB.

13. I thought NE would be deep this year, but Tebow being one of their top 75 players doesnt really back up that theory.

14. 49erstim says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:01 PM

______________

I trash stupidity. I’ll make fun of guys who do terrible on the wonderlic or believe in magic sky daddy’s.

15. “I’m not sure Belichick wants to give the Jets a chance to pick him up given their QB situation.”

I’m fairly certain Belichick would be quite happy to have Tebow under center for the Jets when they play.

Of course, he probably feels the same way about Sanchez.

16. “Believe you can only be on the practice squad during your first 2 years in the league.

He’ll either make the 53 or be cut, but no practice squad for Tebow.”

You did good by pointing out that Tebow is not eligible for the practice squad.. then you got crazy. Do you really think the Jets would take Tebow back if he were available?? If I were The Hoodie… I would cut Tebow with the HOPES of the Jets picking him up…

17. It doesn’t matter anymore. Tim isn’t good enough to play QB, and he doesn’t have the experience or skill to warrant a roster over someone else at a different position.

I don’t understand why so many people care that he succeeds while ignoring so many other young players who don’t have to Twitter every 10 seconds “Im going to work so hard at practice” and “God preached this and that”.

Tim, you are a wonderful person, but you aren’t an NFL player. Move on with your life and make peace with the idea that you are not going to play in the National Football League.

18. kgun80 says:

The Patriots have always known that he’s ineligible for the practice squad, since he has three accrued NFL seasons. If you don’t know the practice squad rules, do some research (Google).

19. Aug 27, 2013 2:18 PM
    49erstim says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:01 PM

______________

_________________________________Can I trash you as stupid for using the apostrophe wrong then? 😀

Seriously though, I’m an atheist and I would never pigeonhole people who are religious as being stupid because it’s flat out not true. There are dumb religious people, dumb atheists etc. I think labeling people due to their beliefs is the only stupid thing.

20. I don’t understand how anyone would expect him to get cut NOW…there not gonna play Brady Thursday and why would you risk getting your back-up hurt? Tebow is being kept as the Preseason Game 4 QB Tackling Dummy as he he, or any other 3rd/4th QB would be. He’ll be cut after…

21. pioniere says: Aug 27, 2013 2:31 PM

Love it that the Pats are wasting a roster spot…

///
    How do they waste a roster spot if the count is still over 53?

22. The only people that still care, or ever cared, are the religious zealots that feel they need a voice everywhere they turn. Hey, if you’re religious, great! Have at it! But I don’t like being force fed anything, let alone religion (I’m talking more about the fans than Tebow himself).

Now, if Tebow is too stubborn and stupid to realize his future in football is not as a QB, then he deserves to be unemployed. Take a look at the Vikings. Joe Webb is smart. He knows his only prayer to play in the NFL was to abandon his dream of being a QB and keep a firm grasp on that secondary dream of just playing football at any position.

23. Career Comp %
    Tim Tebow: 47.9%
    Jamarcus Russell: 52.1%

Career Avg per att
    A: 6.7
    B: 6.0

Career total TD’s (Includes rushing)
    A: 29
    B: 19

Career total ints
    A: 19
    B: 23

Career total yards (includes rushing)
    A: 3,411
    B: 4,258

Jamarcus Russell was given one read on every play or told to fall down and he’s out thrown Tebow…Jamarcus Russell clearly had issues outside of everything that contributed to him not being back in the league and Russell has never even considered working as hard as Tebow. That said, as passers only, they had roughly the same amount of games (31-35 Russell) and Russell was betteror even. I watched all of Russells games. That’s sad.

Please switch to a power back/TE position. You’re not a natural passer of the football.

24. “The only people that still care, or ever cared, are the religious zealots that feel they need a voice everywhere they turn. Hey, if you’re religious, great! Have at it! But I don’t like being force fed anything, let alone religion”
    ———

Meh. The people who seem to care the most are the anti-religious zealots. But hey– if you are anti-religious, great! Have at it! But I don’t like being force fed anything, let alone anti-religion.

25. “I’m pretty sure you cut the guy and then as long as no other team grabs him they move him to the practice squad.. I’m pretty sure the practice squad is used to simulate the opposing teams offense and defense.. Being that they have 2 teams in their division with young QBs who will probably be using the read option it would make sense.

Now pleas explain to me what I don’t understand ?”

I only laugh because he still thought he was providing a point! Wrong

26. nyyjetsknicks says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:18 PM______________

—————————————————

…says the fool who states values are subjective as long as they don’t mess with yours. Who believes that from nothing comes something but only shrug shoulders as to why. Says the fool who trumpets loudly “there is no magic daddy in the sky” yet wonders why his life is filled with misery. Say what you will but some of us don’t have enough faith to be atheists and we’ll subscribe to the magic daddy scenario.

27. CKL says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:42 PM
    Aug 27, 2013 2:18 PM
    49erstim says:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:01 PM

______________

_________________

Are you not aware of auto correct on smart phones?

28. Please keep him N.E.!!!!
    Your not as good as years past and keeping that crappy a$$ qb on your roster just makes you one person weaker somewhere else!!!

I know your not that stupid N.E., but we can only hope you keep the most overrated, crappiest player in the NFL!!!!

29. What are Bill and Tom going to actually teach him? When it comes to the Xs and Os of football, he’s not very bright.

30. Tebow will be on the final roster. They will look at him as a situational/developmental guy.

He probably will be a healthy scratch most of the year and won’t dress.

31. ahostiletakeover says:
    Aug 27, 2013 1:54 PM

Kgun80, you have no idea how the practice squad wprks, huh?
    ================================================

Kgun80 is talking about the scouting team, not the practice squad.

32. He might be the nicest guy on the planet, but I’m totally lost on what he’s doing with the Pats. They seem to have no special use for him. I can’t fathom him making the roster because they have plenty of other needs, and without him playing even in preseason games, they’re not even getting a real look at him.

33. What is this cant cut him or the jets will pick him up crap? Has anyone seen this guys interpretation of qb this year? He makes snachez look competent.

He had better stats by not playing in week 3 then he did playing in week 2.

If the patriots thought he’d be the starter for the jets game BB would personally drive him down to NJ, give him a shower, and help him get his jets jersey on.

34. What a joke the patriots have become. Between murder and Tebow, one would think they envy the media attention that the jets receive.

Remember ***

35. If Bill O’Brien was still Offensive Coordinator for the Patriots, Tim Tebow wouldn’t be anywhere near this team. It is purely Josh McDaniel’s fantasy. And it may be a troubling vision of what awaits the Patriots after the Brady Belichick era is over. If Josh gets that job, Patriot fans can expect incompetent decisions like this one. Along with similar ones in his stops in Denver and St Louis. Time for Pat fans to drop down on the knees and appeal to higher powers, like Bob Kraft, to end this narcissistic charade before it becomes a team dividing sideshow.

36. Going into his 4th year in the NFL, Tebow hasn’t improved at all as a passer. He looks just as bad as he did when he first came into the league. I would have figured that he would have shown some improvement by this point but he hasn’t.

His footwork is atrocious. For someone that runs around as much as he does, I would think that his footwork on throws on the run would be better than it is but even that’s horrible. And we know that if he’s asked to be a straight drop back passer that he’s very limited with the types of throws that he can make.

What happened in 2011 was a fluke. Even if he somehow did get to start again, he’s not going to be facing the likes of Matt Moore, Tyler Thigpen, Caleb Haine, Mark Sanchez and Christian Ponder every week.

I think he’s a good football player. Terrible passer, but good football player. Problem is, he doesn’t have a position. And at this point I think it’s too late for him to transition to another position. Really the only position I can see him moving to is FB. Not TE, not even an H-Back, just a pure FB. So unless NE wants to start using a FB, then I don’t think Tebow makes the team.

37. @bsaleen12 who says: Aug 27, 2013 3:02 PM

Now pleas explain to me what I don’t understand ?”

I only laugh because he still thought he was providing a point! Wrong

I know you didn’t say the quote. But the real answer is this. Tim Tebow is not eligible to play on the practice squad, per NFL rules. 3-4 year players are ineligible to be stashed away like that. He either makes team or gets cut.

38. “Tebow has not played well in the preseason”

Hey dude, you win the prize for UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR. Geno Smith and some others haven’t played well, Tebow’s been downright GOD AWFUL AND HORRIBLE!!!! Why is it so hard for people in the media to write what anyone with eyesight who has watched this stink up the football field can see. I forgot, he’s God’s grandson. Still waiting on him to walk on water!!!!!!!