Dion Jordan back on the field for Dolphins

Dion Jordan AP

While teams across the league were shedding bottom-of-the-roster filler yesterday, the Dolphins were getting their top draft pick back.

According to Joseph Goodman of the Miami Herald, No. 3 overall choice Dion Jordan went through drills Tuesday for the first time since aggravating his surgically repaired shoulder on Aug. 9

Physically, I felt good,” Jordan said. “For me, it’s mainly little things, continuing to brush up on my fundamentals, and whatever they ask me to do I’m able to go ahead and do it at full speed so I can help this team.”

While it’s unlikely he’d be ready to play —or they’d want to risk him — in Thursday’s preseason finale, getting him back this week is a good sign for his availability for the regular season opener.

“We wouldn’t put him out here if we didn’t feel he was ready to go,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said.

Of course, the Dolphins also plan to work him in gradually, not counting on him starting while they have a star on one side (Cameron Wake) and a solid starter on the other (Olivier Vernon), giving Jordan time to get well and grow into his role.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Dion Jordan back on the field for Dolphins”
  1. floridafootballologist says: Aug 28, 2013 7:37 AM

To all the posters who called Jordan a “bust” because a couple of hacks printed that he may not start the regular season: If he does start, does that mean he’s NOT a bust?

2. snowman36 says: Aug 28, 2013 7:53 AM

AFC East aka the formality division. Bills, dolphins, jets? Playing out the season is simply a formality for 75% of the division

3. liltifer says: Aug 28, 2013 8:10 AM

While I want to see him ASAP, I’d much rather they bring him along slowly instead of possibly missing an extended period of time in trying to rush him.

I’ve only seen him in a handful of plays in the preseason, but he looked just as explosive as he does in the highlight videos I’ve watched on YouTube.

Get healthy and be a beast in a few weeks rather than be a gimpy-armed bust…

4. tommynatorii says: Aug 28, 2013 8:23 AM

Wake and OV to start the season is just fine. No need to rush this guy through. Wake will cause havoc as usual, and OV is going to play lights out to try and secure his starter status knowing Jordan is preparing to take his spot.
    Win win for Fins.

5. FinFan68 says: Aug 28, 2013 9:02 AM

The Dolphins are deep on the defensive line. Do not rush him back simply because he was the #3 overall pick. Make sure he is healthy and can be used down the stretch. If that means he misses a few early games, so be it.

6. makenobones says: Aug 28, 2013 9:59 AM

I’m updating my depth chart in Madden right now….

7. tarniman says: Aug 28, 2013 12:47 PM

He maybe can miss the Brown and we’ll ok cause we don’t want this guy to suffer a major setback due to this shoulder injury. But we have a tough 5 game stretch that we will need every weapon we got to stay over .500 during those games. We will need this guy on the field definitely after the Browns