Newton says Panthers are a playoff contender

Newton Getty Images

Last year, Panthers center Ryan Kalil called Carolina a Super Bowl team.  This year, Kalil hasn’t called his shot.

Quarterback Cam Newton has.

Appearing on WFNZ in Charlotte with Taylor Zarzour and Marc James, Newton said the Panthers are a playoff contender.

“I really do believe it,” Newton said.  “I’m not just saying anything because fans want to hear it.  I’m not saying just anything because it is good for my health.  And I won’t say anything that comes through my teeth that I really don’t believe in.  I believe in my players.  I believe in my offensive line that they are going to give me time to be successful.  And I believe that I have enough weapons at the wide receiver position that they are going to catch the football.  There’s no question about it in my mind.  I have an unbelievable running back corps.”

It’s good to be confident.  But there’s a fine line between optimism and delusion.  The Panthers play in a top-heavy division in a conference that has a strong group of great teams.

Can they contend for a playoff berth?  Sure; they won four straight games to end 2012 and five of six.  But it won’t be easy, especially with the Saints twice, the Falcons twice, the Bucs twice, the 49ers, the Seahawks, the Rams, the Vikings, the Giants, and the Patriots on the schedule.

Giving Newton a little extra motivation is the decision of Sports Illustrated to use a quartet of regional covers, featuring the four young quarterbacks who each got their teams to the playoffs in their debut seasons.  With Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick all 1-0 in that category and Cam at 0-2, it makes sense he’d be omitted, but he admitted that it gives him an extra chip on his shoulder as the 2013 regular season begins.

Coincidentally, one of those four guys — Wilson — will be coming to town to start the campaign.  The best way for Newton to get everyone’s attention would be to beat the Seahawks right out of the gates.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Newton says Panthers are a playoff contender”
  1. tolan04 says: Aug 28, 2013 6:58 PM

Good front 7 but their schedule is scary

2. bucrightoff says: Aug 28, 2013 7:01 PM

Cam Newton, he of 2 consecutive 2-8 starts to the season. And if preseason is an indicator his attitude hasn’t changed either. And you mentioned the schedule, but that could be 8-10 losses right there. Oh and Ron Rivera is a lame duck coach.

Playoffs would seriously be a miracle.

3. beastmode5150 says: Aug 28, 2013 7:04 PM

Can’t wait til week 1. Go Hawks.

4. carlsbadboltfan says: Aug 28, 2013 7:17 PM

Well, Cam did say he wanted to be an entertainer. He just made me laugh with these playoff comments. I’d count that as being entertained.

5. greatestgamensports says: Aug 28, 2013 7:24 PM

Not a fan, but Panthers do upset Seattle week 1

6. lagg1 says: Aug 28, 2013 7:25 PM

Problem with the Panthers is they have a very good front seven that must get a pass ruch to protect the back 4 which is a problem area. They need a running game and they just lost Jonathan Stewart for awhile. They also need receivers to help Cam who by the way is a very good quarterback. All they have on offence is Steve Smith and Greg Olsen. The problem is not the coach, the problem is the organization and what they are trying to do. They have some good young talent but unfortunately no connected pieces.

7. mvpolamalu says: Aug 28, 2013 7:44 PM

I do like the panthers this year. I think Newtons gonna have a good year, plus they have a good up and coming defense led by the white ray Lewis, Luke kuechley

8. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 28, 2013 8:40 PM

Their playoff push will have to start after Week 1 because the Seahawks are wiping the floor with that ass. Seattle still beat them in their own stadium with Russell Wilson playing his worst game of the season.

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 28, 2013 8:50 PM

Since they failed to address a weak offensive line, life will be tough for Cam and the run game. Not happening this season.

10. 302baller says: Aug 28, 2013 8:51 PM

ROTFL all day! Keuchly is a monster thou’.

11. croghan1919 says: Aug 28, 2013 9:06 PM

It takes a lot of brass to say your team is a SB contender in August…
    lol,
    WHAT???

12. lionshawk says: Aug 28, 2013 9:14 PM

I think everyone can say they are a contender for the playoffs prior to the season starting. That’s the point of the regular season.

13. romoscollarbone says: Aug 28, 2013 9:15 PM

I agree.

14. vicnocal says: Aug 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Literally all 32 teams are playoff contenders. Getting to 8-8 basically gets you into playoff contention.

15. mrwalterisgod says: Aug 28, 2013 10:29 PM

The Legion of Boom laughs.

You get Seattle week 1. Try and keep up.

16. aldante66 says: Aug 28, 2013 10:36 PM

Newton will costs his team this year trying to do it all instead of a controlled offense. He knows he has to be the man and out do Kaperdink, Wilson and Pryor. His ego won’t let him share the ball.

17. riderspantherssk says: Aug 28, 2013 11:09 PM

And if Cam had said “My line is brutal, my receivers are terrible and my running backs are old and injured” The haters would say he’s not a leader. Haters gon’ hate.

18. skarfacci says: Aug 28, 2013 11:16 PM

Newton’s attitude sucks. So will ‘cats bc of Newton.

19. ehart18 says: Aug 28, 2013 11:53 PM

Can someone PLEASE tell me what’s the problem with Cam saying that the Panthers are or will be a playoff contender… Also, WHY is it that every time this young man says something positive that some people find some way to twist it into something that’s negative! Please find something better to do with your time than ragging on a kid who feels CONFIDENT in his TEAM!

20. Hawk Rising says: Aug 29, 2013 12:18 AM

Will like seeing their defense. But their offense is nothing to be concerned about.

21. greenmeattruck says: Aug 29, 2013 8:16 AM

He’s serious, he’ll cry if they don’t make it this year!

22. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 29, 2013 11:01 AM

this guy stinks. didnt u see him against my world champion defense last week?

#aweful

23. patch24680 says: Aug 29, 2013 3:37 PM

Don’t talk about it. Go out and prove it on the field this year!!!