Peyton’s retirement plans aren’t tied to winning another Super Bowl

Peyton Getty Images

Asked recently whether quarterback Peyton Manning would retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl this year, executive V.P. of football operations John Elway said he hopes that’s a bridge they’ll have to cross.

From Manning’s perspective, walking off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy under his arm (like Elway did) doesn’t seem to be a priority.

“It’s really not,” Manning told Erik Kuselias of NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk regarding whether the quarterback’s retirement is tied to winning another title.  “I really have no idea how much longer I’ll play.  In the 2011 season, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to play again.  I had a very strange injury.  I had different doctors that just couldn’t give me any type of definite timetable or any guarantee, and when you’re dealing with nerves in an injury, it’s just so unpredictable.”

And so it’s not about winning a championship and calling it quits.  It’s about chasing championships for as long as Manning likes all aspects of the hunt.

“I want to play, Erik, as long as I’m still a productive player, as long as I can still help a team, and as long as I still enjoy it,” Manning said.   “I don’t think it’s about enjoying the games, it’s about do you enjoy practice?  Do you enjoy meetings?  I’ve heard guys that retire, they just say they dreaded going to meetings, they dreaded going to a walk-through. If it’s just so miserable, then you probably should stop.  But I still enjoy the preparation.  I still enjoy the practice.  I enjoy getting to work with other great football players.  And as long as I can still be effective, I’m going to keep playing.”

Whether Peyton intended it or not, that last part sounds like an indirect dig at the annual angst Brett Favre experienced, because Favre got to a point where he liked playing in games but nothing else.  Manning likes it all.  As long as he does and as long as he can meet his own high standards, he’ll keep doing it.

For the full interview, which you should have watched on NBCSN but we’ll cut you a break and post it here, click on the button below.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Peyton’s retirement plans aren’t tied to winning another Super Bowl”
  1. thetooloftools says: Aug 28, 2013 7:59 PM

“Peyton’s retirement plans aren’t tied to winning another Super Bowl”, it’s tied to one more big hit to the head weather clean or not. Then it will end immediately.

2. smalltownqb says: Aug 28, 2013 8:13 PM

Then when he is done he can go on to win Superbowl(s) as a head coach. Can’t imagine he would not ascend to an NFL offensive coordinator as quick as he wanted to.

3. cmdrsmooth says: Aug 28, 2013 8:24 PM

Most wish they had Brett Favre’s problems.

4. jzone954 says: Aug 28, 2013 8:33 PM

I’m glad I got to see this guy in my era
    Arguably the best ever to play.

5. beerbratscheese says: Aug 28, 2013 8:42 PM

He want’s to break Favre’s career records more than winning another Super Bowl. I’d bet on it.

6. blue18hutthutt says: Aug 28, 2013 8:52 PM

Ahh gotta love the sad, pathetic haters with their predictable, unimaginative dribble

7. purplengold says: Aug 28, 2013 8:54 PM

he can retire whenever he wants and never have to worry about finding work again

8. staffordsyear says: Aug 28, 2013 8:56 PM

I hope he plays as long as possible, hes a joy to watch and one of the greats on and off the field.

9. thelastbesthope says: Aug 28, 2013 9:23 PM

Peyton Manning is a football quarterback to the bone. He’ll quit when his body does and not before.

Tom Brady is the same story.

10. grogansheroes says: Aug 28, 2013 10:16 PM

Then he can concentrate on his true calling. Commercials.

11. thefiesty1 says: Aug 28, 2013 10:28 PM

Why NOT? Win one more then sign with the
    Colts for one day and ride off into the sunset. No one can beat it.

12. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 28, 2013 10:35 PM

Peyton would be considered too young to retire in most countries of the world. If he was a school teacher.

13. we_global says: Aug 28, 2013 11:42 PM

Nothing that Peyton said was a direct or indirect dig at Brett Favre.

14. caseyanthonymunoz says: Aug 29, 2013 12:48 AM

9-11 in the postseason. Sorry, truth hurts.

15. tlmoon2112 says: Aug 29, 2013 2:19 AM

Right and the average American’s plan for retirement isn’t tied to Social Security either.

16. rushbacker says: Aug 29, 2013 2:25 AM

Barring one freak injury, this guy’s one of the gold standards for durability and consistency for the quarterback position. And at the most cerebral position in pro sports, he’s one of (if not the) smartest to ever play. If Chad Pennington could lead the Dolphins to the playoffs late in his career, Peyton can probably play as long as he wants to. Beast.

17. slick50ks says: Aug 29, 2013 6:04 AM

That’s a good thing, because he’ll never win another.

18. kev86 says: Aug 29, 2013 7:14 AM

One of the best ever. Mannings are football royalty. Eli will win another.

19. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Aug 29, 2013 7:58 AM

Peyton will always be my favorite Colts QB, that is until Andy runs us off about 10 in a row SuperBowls…no pressure..just get it done!!!

20. twobluegills says: Aug 29, 2013 8:21 AM

Gee I thought he had a Super Bowl ring with the Colts. Why would he care about another with the Broncos? Favre admitted that he played the last year with the Vikings for the money. AHHH millions…now there is a motivator.

21. hendawg21 says: Aug 29, 2013 9:26 AM

Well, he can’t retire until he catches Eli in Super bowl wins…personally I don’t see that happening.

With all the opportunites he had in Indy and only managed one, and albeit this was a good Denver team when he got there, this team now has some issues and I don’t see them contending for a Super bowl…they should make it to the playoffs considering the division their in.

22. jimmyt says: Aug 29, 2013 9:28 AM

Just retire the same year as Brady so we can watch Tommy cry when you are elected first ballot, unanimously to the HOF and he is passed over.

23. listenup823 says: Aug 29, 2013 10:27 AM

The whole “one big hit and it’s over” comments are getting tiresome.. If you don’t have anything new and interesting to say, just go back to your room with your Jergens lotion..

24. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 29, 2013 11:04 AM

this guy will always be known as a chump. not even close to a champs.

#losingplayoffrecord #seeyouin7days

25. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 29, 2013 11:08 AM

im willing to bet this chump retires after we get done with him week one

#seeyouin7days #youregoingtogetHIT

26. patriots123456 says: Aug 29, 2013 11:09 AM

He can’t retire this year…

No one is there to do the paperwork…

Most of the front office is at alcohol rehab…

27. mc1439 says: Aug 29, 2013 11:16 AM

Manning is a FRAUD! He is not even from this EARTH!

28. cospgsmadman says: Aug 29, 2013 11:16 AM

Win 2 Super Bowls in a row. (like Elway did)

29. baltimoresnativeson says: Aug 29, 2013 11:33 AM

Pretty sure Joe Flacco will finish with more rings than Peyton Manning. He just doesn’t perform well in the playoffs overall. Never has, even his championship playoff run was mediocre.

If you don’t believe it, you probably didn’t believe Joe would get the 1st one.

30. bwisnasky says: Aug 29, 2013 5:41 PM

You mean steal 2 superbowls in a row by cheating the salary cap like Elway did?

31. arrickrodgers1978 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:50 PM

I consider myself a die-hard Patriots fan, and enjoy the new Patriots/Broncos rivalry… But honestly (without bias) I think Brady is better with his ability to win no matter what. Without having a team built around him… I’m sure there’s more, but that’s my argument.