Bears announce nine more cuts

Cleveland Browns v Chicago Bears Getty Images

The Bears have had a couple of player report their own releases and they’ve had beat writers report a few more on Friday, but that didn’t stop them from getting in on the fun themselves.

The team officially announced 17 cuts, including the previously reported departures of players like tackle J’Marcus Webb and quarterback Trent Edwards. Nine of the players on the list had not previously been reported, however.

Running back Armando Allen, who carried the ball 42 times for the Bears over the last two seasons, and tight end Fendi Onobun, who drew some good reviews early in training camp, are two of the better known names on the list. Defensive linemanĀ Aston Whiteside, defensive lineman Josh Williams, defensive lineman Christian Tupou, cornerback Demontre Hurst, guardĀ Derek Dennis, running back Harvey Unga and long snapper Brandon Hartson round out the list of cuts.

Not on the list passed out by the Bears is safety Brandon Hardin, who is still expected to be waived but, according to Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com, will be waived-injured with a fractured scapula. Tackle Cory Brandon is also reportedly set to be waived-injured, which would leave the team with just three moves to make to get to the 75-man limit.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Bears announce nine more cuts”
  1. claymatthewshairplugs says: Aug 30, 2013 3:48 PM

Good day, the human turnstile is gone and while I thought Onobun had some potential the guy’s hands were made of stone. He made me longing for Kellen DAvis.

2. azkev says: Aug 30, 2013 3:49 PM

Allen will be a good pick-up for somebody. Sorry to see him go but the rookie Ford, just plain beat him out.

3. beckhruby says: Aug 30, 2013 4:05 PM

They better damn well make sure they didnt make a mistake in releasing Webb. He was like a saloon door at left tackle but he could be a really good right tackle and an even better guard in my estimation. I hope everyone stays healthy. I just cant see how this guy couldnt stay around with his versatility.

4. jlevija says: Aug 30, 2013 4:34 PM

Now lets see who ends up on the practice Squad, i would think Allen would be there

5. thedano says: Aug 30, 2013 4:55 PM

-jlevija

Allen isn’t eligible for the P-squad. He’s done in CHI.

6. thedano says: Aug 30, 2013 5:00 PM

-beckhruby

Webb didn’t care. We saw it when Cutler bumped him on MNF. The media naturally went after Cutler first. But I think now they realize, he just didn’t care. Cutler was trying to get him going, to give stronger effort. But that’s the story on him. In preseason, when people were asked about Mills at RT……a common answer was “he wants to be there, he wants to get better.” Webb did not.

Webb had plenty of chances handed to him. It’s not all his fault, he’s a 7th round pick. Those guys aren’t suppose to be franchise LTs…..but Angelo/Lovie/Tice wouldn’t give him any competition, they just wanted him to be that guy magically. He’ll latch on somewhere, because there are many brutal OLs in the league. But I’m not sad to see him go. At this point it’s not a mistake to let him go. Finally there are better options at T in CHI.

7. LilTmac2003 says: Aug 30, 2013 5:25 PM

You know, I haven’t been to a Bears practice this season but I did watch all four preseason games.

I could tell you that them releasing Fendi Onobun is equally as good as getting rid of J’Marcus Webb.

They kept on saying he had a solid camp and does amazing in practice — and I’m sure that’s true — but NFL games are played under the big lights, not in Bourbonnais.

#TeamEmeryAndTrestman

8. hotketchup99 says: Aug 30, 2013 7:18 PM

I’ll bet you Hurst, Whiteside and Hardin make the practice squad.