Skip to content

Few surprises as Panthers get down to 53 players

David Gettis, James Dockery AP

Earlier on Saturday, a few notable Panthers cuts leaked out before the team made its official announcement.

When the Panthers did release the full group, cornerback Drayton Florence, quarterback Jimmy Clausen and defensive tackle Sione Fua remained the biggest names to get dropped from the club. Of the 22 players cut on Saturday, only four had more than two years of experience in the NFL.

Wide receiver David Gettis and linebacker Jason Williams join Clausen and Florence in that group. Gettis, who was waived/injured, was a sixth-round pick in 2010 and caught 37 passes as a rookie, but only played two games in the last two years. Williams had two stints with the Panthers, playing five games with the team last season, and started his career as a third-round pick of the Cowboys in 2009.

Wide receiver Brenton Bersin, tackle Garrett Chisolm, tight end Dominique Curry, guard Hayworth Hicks, linebacker Doug Hogue, wide receiver Taulib Ikharo, linebacker Ben Jacobs, safety Robert Lester, guard Tori Mobley, tight end Zack Pianalto, running back Tauren Poole, defensive end Craig Roh, wide receiver James Shaw and defensive tackle Casey Walker were all waived. Tackle Patrick Brown was released and safeties D.J. Campbell and Anderson Russell were waived/injured along with Gettis.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
2 Responses to “Few surprises as Panthers get down to 53 players”
  1. mooremusicllc says: Sep 1, 2013 12:17 AM

    I hope we put Lester on the practice squad.

  2. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 1, 2013 5:13 PM

    Past time to drop Clausen.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!