Tim Tebow: I will continue trying to be an NFL quarterback

Tim Tebow AP

Tim Tebow was released by the Patriots today and faces an uncertain future in football, but he doesn’t think his NFL career is over yet.

Tebow wrote on Twitter shortly after the Patriots let him go that he still thinks he can be an NFL quarterback, no matter how many people may doubt him.

“I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback,” Tebow wrote.

Tebow also thanked Patriots owner Robert Kraft, coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for working with him, even though the team ultimately decided not to keep him around for the regular season.

“I would like to thank Mr. Kraft, Coach Belichick, Coach McDaniels and the entire Patriots organization for giving me the opportunity to be a part of such a classy organization. I pray for nothing but the best for you all,” Tebow wrote.

Although Tebow had some moments in his one season as a starter, leading the Broncos to several regular-season comebacks and a playoff win, the reality is the Patriots were the only team interested in him this year, and he played badly when the Patriots gave him an opportunity this preseason. Tebow may continue to try to be an NFL quarterback, but there’s a good chance that today was his last day on an NFL team.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
67 Responses to “Tim Tebow: I will continue trying to be an NFL quarterback”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Aug 31, 2013 3:26 PM

And the congregation said – LOL! #ThankGODImaREDSKINSfanandforRGIII

2. jcmeyer10 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:27 PM

This just makes me think that Belichick/McDaniels said, ‘Tim, you will make this team as a TE or not at all’.

Then they kept him around so Brady wouldn’t have to take a snap in the final preseason game.

3. jonevans83 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:27 PM

me too.

4. joaonmatz says: Aug 31, 2013 3:27 PM

He’s a good person. I wish nothing but fortune for him and his carrer, wherever it is.

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 31, 2013 3:29 PM

All he does is win.

6. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 31, 2013 3:30 PM

You can’t tell me Tebow is any worse than that guy the Packers kept. B.J. Honeycutt or something.

7. thepftpoet says: Aug 31, 2013 3:30 PM

Lol

8. thepftpoet says: Aug 31, 2013 3:31 PM

Packers suck

9. nflpoker says: Aug 31, 2013 3:31 PM

Tebow Watch. eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg

10. dellkev says: Aug 31, 2013 3:32 PM

It’s like charlie brown trying to kick a football. It just isn’t going to happen timmy.

11. timb12 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:33 PM

Why do people think he refused to play TE? This is the same guy who played receiver for the Broncos, and PP on the Jets. He may have said that, but I doubt it.

12. dobberdubinsky says: Aug 31, 2013 3:33 PM

Poor lil Timmy

13. FinFan68 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:34 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If he is not signed by anyone, look no farther than that quote. He can contribute to many teams but none of them want him as a starting QB. If he comes out and says he is willing to help a team in any way the coaches see fit he will have a job on an active roster. If not, he will be thinking “what might have been” for the rest of his life.

14. hockeyfootball98 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:38 PM

and you will continue to fail at that Mr. Tebow im sure he’s a nice guy but he is the worst QB in the league and possibly the worst I have ever seen passing wise.

15. thegonz13 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:38 PM

“My lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback”.

Keep dreaming, kid. You’re not a QB and I doubt you’ll be returning to the NFL any time soon!

16. mvpolamalu says: Aug 31, 2013 3:40 PM

He had one of the most legendary college careers of all time, he had his 15 minutes of fame in the NFL, time to accept your career as a fullback and move on.

17. jrebar88 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:41 PM

You will continue to suck.

18. boonevol says: Aug 31, 2013 3:41 PM

Do or do not, there is no try.

19. noburghfan says: Aug 31, 2013 3:41 PM

I’m going to continue to pursue , my calling as
    brain surgeon , as soon as i can get around all
    that schooling thing !

20. thepftpoet says: Aug 31, 2013 3:41 PM

Tim Tebow could probably be the starting Left Tackle on the depleted Green Bay Packers offensive line

21. cowboyfan45 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:42 PM

Tebow says he’s going to continue to try to be an NFL quarterback, I guess he didn’t get the Jerry Glanville memo that NFL stands for Not For Long….

22. therealraider says: Aug 31, 2013 3:43 PM

You know at some point Tebow needs to look in the mirror and be honest with himself but since he cant or wont ill spell it out for him. Tim 3 teams have dumped you in what 5 years… kids that were in middle school when you entered the league are now competing with you for a roster spot. You will NOT be a starting QB in this league ever again. either switch positions or go play in Canada, also look up Eric Crouch.

23. pekkle007 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:43 PM

Have your agent call Reggie Mackenzie. Tell him u can play the read option cuz this yr will go down the toilet regardless. Then fly to Oakland and get yourself the start over Pryor.

24. sjshark15 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:44 PM

I think the Raiders should give Tebow a chance. He may stand a good chance against Pryor and Flynn. It couldn’t hurt.

25. corkspop says: Aug 31, 2013 3:45 PM

Not going to make it. Clausen, McElroy, …… maybe. Tebow, no.

26. thehaljordanproject says: Aug 31, 2013 3:48 PM

Was is and always will be a scrub. He performed in college on a great team (harvin, Hernandez, Joe Haden just to name a few). Played terrible on a very good broncos team. Couldn’t beat out mark Sanchez or Greg McElroy for a job Jesus! ( no pun intended) the only reason we still know his name is you damn Christians ( who can’t be bother to go to church when football is on btw) need a “Hero”. You got to involved with NFL players personal lives and disagreed with their choices. Instead of being a parents yourselves, you were scared that your kids would emulate these offf the field things ( still zero evidence of a kid anywhere ever being dumb enough to think well is Chris Carter did drugs it will make me a great receiver too). So you put Tebow on the cross ( that one was intended) He is a no talent hack that isn’t fit for the Philadelphia Soul practice squad. Dear lord in heaven please let this be the end of tebow

27. jjbadd385 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:50 PM

I haven’t commented on a Tebow article in quite awhile, despite being one of his supporters. But even I realize this may possibly be his last stop in the NFL. But just like before, I remain convinced that he can be a successful QB in the NFL. How I came to this conclusion is simple…. he already has proven it. He has won more games as a starter than he has lost. There are backups and starters alike that are on rosters that can’t say the same….Best Wishes to Tebow….

28. haassauce21 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:51 PM

Good guy but he’s better off as a TE. Won’t make it anymore as a QB cuz no team is stupid enough to take him in that position.

29. adamjac78 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:52 PM

While with the Jets he stated in an interview that he would not change positions because he is a QB. IMHO he is a self-absorbed individual who hides behind his faith. He has all these individuals following him who think he’s the second coming and support him blindly.

So special will the antichrist appear, that nations will clamour over themselves to encourage him to visit their countries. He will be loved and will copy the last detail, every moment of My Mission, when I walked the Earth. Preaching of the importance of love, peace and the importance of unity among nations, he will be seen to create great wonders, wherever he goes. This is not a man like any other. This is not a man like any other charismatic figurehead. His star will shine and glitter, like no other before him. He will be seen as a figurehead of the one world humanitarian religion. The so-called success of this abomination will be attributed to him. Everyone will drop at his feet. Images of his face will be everywhere.

Sound familiar?

30. frostymugobeer says: Aug 31, 2013 3:58 PM

only shot at this point is as fullback or RB with a pass threat.
    but giving up a spot on a 53 man roster for some gadget plays is risky in this day and age.
    Tebow is a class act but I just don’t know if there’s a place for him in the NFL.
    if I were him I would be taking some broadcasting classes

31. jagtiger says: Aug 31, 2013 3:58 PM

He is a nice guy, but he is dumber than dirt!

32. mattw70 says: Aug 31, 2013 3:58 PM

All he does is..get cut.What’s wrong with being a TE? He could be the teams #3 QB. Just don’t understand his thinking.If I loved football,I would do what it took to get on the field.

33. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 31, 2013 3:59 PM

Tebow is a better quarterback throwing left handed, than Mallett Head.

34. NotoriousKDV says: Aug 31, 2013 4:06 PM

There are a lot of people that dream about playing sports at the professional level. I bet everyone here has had dreams of playing in the NFL at some point in our lives. The difference between us and Tim is that we’re realists. We knew a long time ago that our dreams weren’t going to come true.

Tim had his chance, in fact he had many chances, and now the NFL has collectively told him, thanks but no thanks. The guy hasn’t improved as a passer one bit since he came into the league, which seems impossible, as bad as he is. I have a hard time believing that people haven’t told him that he’s not a good QB. You would think at some point the message would get through to him. So the only conclusion that I can draw is that he’s prideful, stubborn and perhaps even delusional.

35. vikestud says: Aug 31, 2013 4:08 PM

Why is he such a nice guy or a good person? What has he done for people to say this, all I know is he sucks at football

36. orivar says: Aug 31, 2013 4:08 PM

Hey he’s made a couple million following his dream. I have nothing negative to say!

37. stealthjunk says: Aug 31, 2013 4:12 PM

I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an astronaut. #inspiredbytebow

38. gstoner2013 says: Aug 31, 2013 4:17 PM

Say what you want about Tim Tebow, but the man has heart. He is no idiot, he knows he hasn’t played well. But he keeps trying and isn’t afraid to fail. That’s a position that few people are willing to put themselves in. He sure doesn’t need to do it for the money, as he is going to make a fortune on the speaking circuit. It’s about him chasing his dream.

39. metrocritical says: Aug 31, 2013 4:21 PM

He may have a dream but he doesn’t have a prayer.

40. luz56 says: Aug 31, 2013 4:26 PM

Smart kid with no tools… Very one demential in a now passing league .. I’m not sure if they carried 4 QBs he could make it.. Not a CFL QB either…not sure why people think he can make it as a TE? I’d take T Jackson before Tebow any day and that’s bad

41. simontemplar80 says: Aug 31, 2013 4:26 PM

Nice kid. It’s a pity he can’t throw.

42. strokeytheclown says: Aug 31, 2013 4:27 PM

Geez Tim, take ALL the hints!

43. Obama's Ballsack says: Aug 31, 2013 4:27 PM

Matt Leinhart is more down to Earth than this guy.

44. souldogdave says: Aug 31, 2013 4:29 PM

Praise the Lord! Tebow time is OVER.

45. calebo94 says: Aug 31, 2013 4:29 PM

Come to Green Bay Tim!!!

46. fordmandalay says: Aug 31, 2013 4:35 PM

And I will continue to try to be a majestic sparkly unicorn. I think I have a better chance.

47. 1mommicked1 says: Aug 31, 2013 4:48 PM

do you want a qb with a winning record or not

48. andyisfat says: Aug 31, 2013 4:49 PM

Maybe the baby jesus and god have a team for you to QB.

49. beardinals says: Aug 31, 2013 5:10 PM

His positivity and purely canned responses just get more annoying with time. Looks like he’s just lining himself up for the book/movie deal and speaking circuit.

Dude can’t throw and wants to be a QB. Please, anyone challenge that statement.

50. beardinals says: Aug 31, 2013 5:12 PM

Oh yeah, in addition to not being able to throw, he also can’t read defenses.

51. thecaringkind says: Aug 31, 2013 5:13 PM

I have never in my life seen as big a joke of a football player than Tim Tebow. THE MAN CANNOT PLAY. He’s one of the worst QB’s to ever put on a helmet in the NFL. I don’t care now nice he is, I don’t care how much he loves Jesus, the MAN CAN’T PLAY. He needs to go do something productive with his life and stop the farce that is his dream of an NFL career.

52. themagicfanguy says: Aug 31, 2013 5:28 PM

It’s funny that the packers have TWO separate dedicated trolls posting in the comments of a Pats piece, that’s how you know you’re one of the best teams I guess.

53. denverwally says: Aug 31, 2013 5:46 PM

All I know is that the kid is chasing his dream. He may not ever get there but he has the guts to put it all on the line and try his best to get it. He is a man with class and courage. He may be lacking on the talent side of things, but he has courage to risk failure while chasing what he wants most out of life.
    And by the way, he has more playoff victories with the Broncos than Manning.

54. rcali says: Aug 31, 2013 5:47 PM

Well, at least the Jets are relieved he can’t beat them again. You know Belicheat was hoping he could keep him on the team so that he could put him in against the Jets when the Pats were up by 30 and have him go for TD’s.

55. easyeddie says: Aug 31, 2013 5:50 PM

thehaljordanproject says:
    Aug 31, 2013 3:48 PM
    —————————-

One thing I’m certain of. Tim Tebow is a better man than you are.

56. deadlevelbest says: Aug 31, 2013 5:55 PM

It’s just getting sad, now.

57. newjerseygiants says: Aug 31, 2013 6:00 PM

Tebow could make a fortune with his own evangelist style preacher TV show…you know, the kind where all the red necks who can’t afford clothing and dental hygiene send all their money into.

58. wisbadgfan says: Aug 31, 2013 6:06 PM

I wish Tim Tebow the very best—-he is a good man and he would be great in some capacity for an nfl team.

I do hope a team gives him an opportunity on the field.

If his playing opportunities are limited, as I have said before, he would be a great addition to an nfl franchise in public relations.

Dont lose your determination and confidence—-an opportunity will come forward for you.

59. 8man says: Aug 31, 2013 6:09 PM

I was really holding out hope that they were secretly working him out as TE or H back, or something that catches passes and runs.

The kid can play football and he’s healthy. He’ll end up on a roster somewhere. Buffalo?

60. prmpft says: Aug 31, 2013 6:11 PM

God Bless you Timmy

61. 1liondriven says: Aug 31, 2013 6:21 PM

Thank goodness he’s out.
    Tebow is a frickin moron.
    As far as playing TE…he has hands of stone.
    Now he can comb somebodies hair and go bra shopping.

62. bigbamboom1 says: Aug 31, 2013 8:29 PM

I’m not going to join the pile on. Because it was obvious to all but Tim, that he was not an NFL caliber QB. But I will suggest suggest that he is an outstanding young man and human being. And he obviously loves the game of football immensely. So Tim, I suggest this. Forget about playing NFL football. And start preparing yourself to Head Coach NFL football instead. I bet he would be tremendously successful at both the NFL and NCAA level. If for nothing more than his tremendous competitiveness, drive, determination, integrity and personal ethics.

What parent wouldn’t send their kid to play in his program in college? I sure would. ANd then sleep very good at night. So Tim; chase the bigger prize like Jim Harbaugh did. And be happy for the rest of your life.

63. coachbeck says: Aug 31, 2013 8:31 PM

He will keep going until he decides to sign the contract to work for university of Florida Athletic department.

64. daniel10017 says: Aug 31, 2013 8:53 PM

Tebow is living in denial. The only place he’s going is the ministry to a pastor. I’ve always rooted for him but the his atrocious statistics and his throwing motion is damming to really be an NFL quarterback. Goes to show you that the Heisman Trophy is the most worthless trophy in any field of vocation. Over 1/2 of the Heisman winners do not prosper at all in the NFL.

65. thefiesty1 says: Aug 31, 2013 11:55 PM

No more Tebow! Give it up.

66. dallasbaby says: Sep 1, 2013 1:13 AM

Timmy’s going to start looking mighty attractive to injury-laden teams come mid-season, trust and believe. Tebow Time’s not over yet!

67. bighurt228 says: Sep 1, 2013 3:28 PM

Sorry Tim, but I don’t even think God can help you with this one.