Adrian Peterson: In my mind, I’m getting younger

Adrian Peterson, M.D. Jennings, Clay Matthews AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson did some quick calculations this summer and came up with the tail end of the 2017 season as his bet for the time when he passes Emmitt Smith to become the NFL’s all-time leading rusher.

Peterson will be 32 at that point and the years between now and then tend to be ones where the accumulation of hits begin to take their toll on running backs and productivity starts to decline. That’s not a topic that Peterson wants to spend much time thinking about, so he’s put himself in a mindset to make sure that no doubts creep into his head because of the way the sand is running through the hourglass.

“I feel like me not realizing that helps me,” Peterson said, via Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “Me not thinking about, ‘Well, my clock is starting to tick, getting older and older.’ That’s not doing nothing but hurting me. So I’m thinking in my mind that each year I’m getting younger. Any way I can look at it with the most positive view that’s going to help me, that’s the way I’m looking at it.”

While few would argue with the benefits of a positive mindset, there are physical realities to life as an NFL running back that should make it harder for Peterson to keep feeling like he’s living out a football version of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Of course, there are also physical realities to returning from a torn ACL that should make it hard to run for 2,097 yards the next year. Peterson was able to put them aside in 2012 and that makes him as good a bet as any to navigate the aging process without too much difficulty.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Adrian Peterson: In my mind, I’m getting younger”
  1. allday28mvpmvp says: Sep 1, 2013 11:35 AM

This guy cannot be stopped, an absolute BEAST

Prepare for back-to-back MVPs folks

2. drunkadamschefter says: Sep 1, 2013 11:41 AM

Did anyone else like it better when AD was quiet and just went about his business? Same for RGIII.

3. straighcashhomie84 says: Sep 1, 2013 11:56 AM

AD #1 All Time

4. thepvyharvin says: Sep 1, 2013 12:04 PM

Freakish human specimen + Super talent + Works harder than any other player = Sky is the limit for AD….plus some good old fashioned luck to not suffer major injury

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 1, 2013 2:23 PM

There have been plenty of players who have defied “physical realities.” Adrian Peterson seems like the kind of guy who would be one of them.

6. poolplayer8698 says: Sep 1, 2013 2:37 PM

AP can bring home all the MVP’s he wants….Good for him…maybe he should be concentrating on winning a title like the GREEN BAY PACKERS have many of….

7. allday69 says: Sep 1, 2013 3:18 PM

when it’s all said and done, he will be the greatest of all time!

8. allday28mvpmvp says: Sep 1, 2013 3:43 PM

poolplayer8698 says: Sep 1, 2013 2:37 PM

—–

If u think All Day isn’t focused on winning a ring then u r bananas.

and its not 2011 anymore, the Packers stink now.
    No defense, No O-line at all.
    Foolishly cut Vince Young so some no namer can finish the 6-10 season when that busted O-line gets Rodgers hurt

9. larrydavid7000 says: Sep 1, 2013 4:10 PM

ap go Goole a MAN NAMED JOHN RIGGINS and then get back to me. See what he accomplished in his early to mid 30s as a RB. I don’t think another RB has done what RIGGINS did late in his career and is a HOF by the way.!!!!!!!

10. ragnarsbeard says: Sep 1, 2013 7:15 PM

He is The Man amongst boys.

11. twobluegills says: Sep 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Sure AP is getting younger all of the time. I thought the Vikings fans were the only ones living in a dreamworld, now the players too? What a waste of talent, and to never get a ring its sad really.