Gronkowski’s timetable to play remains up in the air

Gronk AP

With Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski back at practice after multiple offseason surgeries (several to his arm, one to his back), it’s unclear when he’ll be able to play.  By not leaving him on the Physically Unable to Perform list, which would have sidelined Gronkowski for at least the first six weeks of the season, the Pats have signaled he’ll be back at some point before then.

At this point, it’s simply not clear when that will be.  Per a league source, it’s unlikely Gronkowski will play in Week One at Buffalo or in Week Two, a short-week Thursday night encounter at home against the Jets.  But it’s not completely out of the question that he’ll suit up in either of the first two games.

The earliest Gronkowski plays could be Week Three, when the Bucs bring their team (hopefully MRSA free) back to Foxborough.

For now, we’re told it’s impossible to know with certainty when he’ll be ready to go.  The bigger concern, given his recent history, is whether he’ll be able to stay healthy, once he gets healthy.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Gronkowski’s timetable to play remains up in the air”
  1. malab377 says: Sep 3, 2013 2:04 PM

I would say…
    – Stay on the sidelines with a grey hoodie for the first two weeks;
    – Stay on the sidelines with your helmet on for the third game;
    – Stay out of the field on extra-point for the 13 games after that.

2. AngryHumanoid says: Sep 3, 2013 2:06 PM

The second arm injury last year was a fluke, but having said that I HOPE they don’t rush him back. Would his presence earlier in the season likely lead to a couple more wins and a better record and, dare I say (dare, dare!) a better playoff berth? Probably. But it isn’t soon enough to be worried about that, so take your time, Gronk.

3. patriots123456 says: Sep 3, 2013 2:08 PM

Take it slow with the Gronk…

Don’t throw him to the wolves…

4. surfinbird1 says: Sep 3, 2013 2:10 PM

Makes sense not to put him on PUP. At least it allows him to practice and try to be ready before six wks. Last I heard he had a lot of work to do in the weight room. Hope they don’t rush it.

5. skoobyfl says: Sep 3, 2013 2:12 PM

Gronk won’t play until week 3. Brady could beat the Bills with 4 Pre-schoolers catching the ball.

6. gisellichek says: Sep 3, 2013 2:16 PM

It is my opinion he will dress for Sunday and not play… My key is to keep an eye on practise reps via the media… In the back of my mind I am feeling like he is good to go and BB is hoding him back. (as he should).

7. descendency says: Sep 3, 2013 2:22 PM

Just a guess, but I doubt we see him much (if at all) week 1-3. The Bills, Jets, and Bucs are not exactly the biggest threats to a NE win.

The Falcons, Bengals, and Saints are much more formidable.

8. wikidpissah says: Sep 3, 2013 3:07 PM

gisellichek says: Sep 3, 2013 2:16 PM

===========================

If he isn’t going to play, he won’t dress. They can only dress 40 of 53 and won’t waste a spot on someone who’s not playing.

9. wolfmanpatriot says: Sep 3, 2013 3:12 PM

Surfinbird1,
    From the little I have read, mostly from these comment sections by fans, it sounds like he is in poor shape, let alone football shape.
    I hope they work the heck out of him, then ease him back in games.
    If they can’t win games without him, his presence in the post season will not matter.

Ps. I got a mint condition Webber performer on san Diego craigs if you are interested .

10. 8man says: Sep 3, 2013 3:12 PM

patriots123456 says:
    Sep 3, 2013 2:08 PM
    Take it slow with the Gronk…

Don’t throw him to the wolves…
    ————————————————–
    First two games are against the Bills and the Jets. More dogs than wolves, but even more reason to let him sit.

11. xgarcia22 says: Sep 3, 2013 3:19 PM

Too much partying at bars and clubs.

12. furnhole says: Sep 3, 2013 3:57 PM

Enough of the MRSA stuff . I’m sure the Pats have plenty of their own viruses floating around. Go BUCS!

13. firstroyal says: Sep 3, 2013 4:22 PM

he should be back by week 4 and then 6 and then after that 12- can I wish you luck now for your next surgery?

14. jdfrox says: Sep 3, 2013 5:15 PM

Rub some deer antler spray on it and get back out there!! No weapon!!!

15. kev86 says: Sep 3, 2013 6:33 PM

They don’t need Gronkowski to win the lousy AFC East anyway.

16. frankiefiveangels says: Sep 3, 2013 6:33 PM

Wikidpissah its actually 46 of 53 but your logic is correct. Gronk should be inactive until he is ready to play and contribute. I think week 4 against Atlanta is the game they are targeting.

17. TheWizard says: Sep 3, 2013 7:04 PM

On paper they wipe the floor with the Bills and Jets, but after that Arizona game last year and the Cleveland debacle a few years ago, nothing is really for sure.

I think Bill plays him when he thinks he’s ready no matter the opponent.

18. theryanfitztragics says: Sep 4, 2013 9:11 AM

The Pats are going to miss Gronk when the Bills give them a game on Sunday… EJ starting for Buffalo is bad news for New England! Lets go Buffalo!!!!!!!!!