Lamar Miller doesn’t know how much he’ll be getting the ball

Miller AP

Lamar Miller has won the starting tailback job in Miami.  But that doesn’t mean he’ll be the full-time workhorse.  Then again, it doesn’t mean he won’t be.

Either way, Miller currently doesn’t know how much he’ll be getting the ball.

“They haven’t told us anything yet so I’m not sure yet,” Miller told Erik Kuselias of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN regarding the team’s plan for carving up the touches.

“That’s the Coach’s decision,” Miller added.  “I’m just trying to do everything to help this team win and when I get the opportunity to put the ball in my hands, I’m just trying to make plays for the offense and for this team.”

Last year, Coach Joe Philbin’s decision included inviting NFL Films to camp, for Hard Knocks.  Miller is glad that Philbin decided not to do it again.

“With Hard Knocks, the little things that you do, they’re taping it and making sure they’re on you,” Miller said.  “Without Hard Knocks it’s just like a regular basis.  So, I like it without the cameras.”

There will be more cameras and other attention on Miller and the Dolphins if he can develop into a great running back, and if the Dolphins can develop into a great team.  The process begins on Sunday at Cleveland.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Lamar Miller doesn’t know how much he’ll be getting the ball”
  1. craniator says: Sep 3, 2013 7:50 PM

Fins up , Pats down.

2. robt2013 says: Sep 3, 2013 7:55 PM

It’s Miller Time!!

3. tannethrill says: Sep 3, 2013 7:56 PM

It’s up to Thomas to take away carries.

4. jakescott13 says: Sep 3, 2013 8:09 PM

19 carries….no wait, 21 carries…oh, wait….17 carries….yeah, that’s the ticket!

5. thechronicjoker says: Sep 3, 2013 8:12 PM

Thomas is nothing more than a short yardage back, he’ll be gone after this year anyway

6. annes22 says: Sep 3, 2013 8:27 PM

I wish Reggie hadn’t been let go. Lamar has a lot to live up to, so I hope he can do it.

7. trbowman says: Sep 3, 2013 8:44 PM

Who else are they gonna give the rock to, Dan Thomas? That guy can’t play.

8. trbowman says: Sep 3, 2013 8:48 PM

Dan Thomas is the guy who’s running with cinder blocks attached to his feet.

9. FinFan68 says: Sep 3, 2013 9:06 PM

I would imagine that his performance would have something to do with it :) I hope they don’t use a “pitch count” type of mentality. Sparano loved to strategize based on each player’s snap count and touches. That’s dumb and leads to stupid play calls based on numbers that do not matter. If the guy is winded, give him a rest. If he is on a roll, ride the train. Philbin is a smart guy but I hope he doesn’t stick to a hard-line numbers game.

Miller is one of those boom or bust kinda guys so the more he runs the better his chances of breaking a long one are. (1, 0, 9, 1, 2, 12, 0, 7, -2, 0, 1, 40…) How he would endure in the 4th qtr as a feature back getting 20+ carries is not known but he has a ton of potential for some exciting plays.

10. skleech22 says: Sep 3, 2013 9:20 PM

Hope this kid pans out and turns into a playmaker! Everyone in the NFL is sick of the Patriots!!!

11. hehateme2 says: Sep 4, 2013 1:04 PM

Looks like the Brownies will be 1-13 in their home openers.
    Yikes!!