Taylor Mays being pressed into duty at linebacker

Indianapolis Colts v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

Bengals safety Taylor Mays plays kind of like a linebacker.

And because of injuries at the position, he might have to finally be one.

According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Mays is taking snaps at linebacker in the Bengals’ nickel and dime defenses.

“It’s the same thing as when a safety inserts into the box,” Mays said. “Some of the run gap fits are a little different. [Linebackers coach] Paul [Guenther] does a good job of teaching and making things simple. I’ve been picking it up quick. I feel good about it. Some stuff you have to learn on the field but I have to get it done.”

The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder was pressed into duty after Emmanuel Lamur was lost for the season with a shoulder injury, leaving the Bengals with just five linebackers on the 53-man roster.

“He’s playing a position that clones Emmanuel Lamur,” middle linebacker Rey Maualuga said. “Those two guys are similar in their playing abilities. I think Taylor will do a good job of coming in the nickel package.”

Mays has good speed, and won’t be physically overwhelmed in the passing game, but they’re trying something they’ve resisted in the past, and there might be a reason for that.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Taylor Mays being pressed into duty at linebacker”
  1. jokick2 says: Sep 4, 2013 5:27 PM

“I LOVE my girlfriend”

2. stoptrippn says: Sep 4, 2013 5:39 PM

This is a plus for bengals. I see them winning 11 games. Get it done Mays!!!

3. toad8572 says: Sep 4, 2013 5:45 PM

He couldn’t cover a dead man.

4. bonniebengal says: Sep 4, 2013 5:58 PM

Maybe linebacker is the place for him. They’ve got to be keeping him for some reason. They must see some potential and I do trust Zimmer’s judgement. Look what Zimmer’s done so far with the Bengals D.

5. afirst916 says: Sep 4, 2013 5:59 PM

Surprised this hasn’t happened already.

6. dcapettini says: Sep 4, 2013 6:45 PM

When guys are learning new positions the week before the season opens it does not portend well. It’s good to see the Bengals fanbase energized but linebacker wasn’t their strong suit when they had linebackers playing it. A good running game is going to demolish these guys.

7. schmitty2 says: Sep 4, 2013 6:49 PM

He couldn’t cover any worse than Maualuga so I guess that is a plus.

8. sfsugator says: Sep 4, 2013 7:42 PM

I always thought he would be a better outside linebacker because dude outgrew the safety position, and hits like a truck.

9. bert1913 says: Sep 4, 2013 8:15 PM

mays was pissed when carroll took earl thomas over him

10. hendeeze says: Sep 4, 2013 8:19 PM

There is good reason why he hasn’t played at LB. He can’t shed blocks nor does he have a head for the ball. The only time Mays plays well is in a straight line. With the ball carrier in front of him. He’s terrible flowing from sideline to sidelines or changing direction.

11. pooflingingmonkey says: Sep 4, 2013 9:10 PM

I don’t see why the Bengals traded for him, or kept him on the 53 man roster. He’s an out of control headhunter, a Troy Polamalu wannabe, without the talent or results.

12. dfeltz says: Sep 4, 2013 9:51 PM

The Bears have tried twice (under Lovie and Angelo) I believe in trying to acquire Mays to specifically play linebacker. Linebacker is exactly where he needs to be.

13. thebirdofprey says: Sep 4, 2013 10:54 PM

I know he is a Washington State boy but I really don’t like the way he plays. He is always a step behind the play and flat out terrible in coverage. If his D-coordinator doesn’t get the best out of him now, nobody ever will. I can’t believe Mays vs Thomas was even a debate back in that draft.

14. aaroncurryisbust says: Sep 4, 2013 11:06 PM

Remember when the Whiners drafted this bum in the 2nd round? And then Mays proceeded to cry that Pete Carroll drafted Earl Thomas over him, and that he would have revenge as additional motivation? LOL nice going.

15. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 10:18 AM

What, no waterboy on the team?

16. foosball1984 says: Sep 5, 2013 3:26 PM

i don’t understand why they don’t just release him and find an actual linebacker this guy sucks