Anthony Spencer has knee setback, doesn’t practice

Anthony Spencer AP

The Cowboys are going to unveil a brand-new defense, and they might be doing it with a lot of brand-new defensive linemen.

According to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, defensive end Anthony Spencer said he had a setback with his knee, which kept him off the practice field. Spencer had surgery on his left knee early on July 25, keeping their franchise player off the field since.

Spencer still held out hope he might play this week, though a month and a half off doesn’t make that appear likely.

The Cowboys will also be without defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, who’s still on the PUP list. That has them starting George Selvie and Nick Hayden up front, hardly the kind of group new coordinator Monte Kiffin would have been hoping for.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Anthony Spencer has knee setback, doesn’t practice”
  1. onebucplace says: Sep 5, 2013 4:08 PM

The Tampa 2 only works if you can get pressure on the QB. However don’t think Monte only ever plays the Tampa 2, he mixes it up when the pressure isn’t available. In Tampa he sent Ronde on a ton of QB pressures, thus the reason Barber is the only player in NFL history to have more than 40 INTs and 25 sacks.

Also Dallas fans don’t panic if the Giants are moving the ball. The Tampa 2 allows for the ball to be moved between the 20s — but that zone gets real real tight inside the 20.

I WISH Monte would have came back to Tampa, it’s where he belongs. I will be watching the Cowboys to see how he does. My favorite coach ever, even more than Dungy.

2. nypd1056 says: Sep 5, 2013 4:25 PM

Unfortunately, Monte will not have Ronde Barber on the field Sunday night.

3. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 5, 2013 4:39 PM

Not saying Hayden is Sapp or anything but he has played well in preseason displaying good quickness.

The Dolphins couldn’t block Selvie in preseason and he is a very effective pass rusher from the right side. I like that these guys are hungry and eager to prove what they can do.

Jerry needs to move on from Spencer and Ratliff anyway.

4. justintuckrule says: Sep 5, 2013 4:43 PM

——–
    That’s where we’ve been panicking lately.

5. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 4:55 PM

Not a lot of national reporters have been covering some of the cowboys glaring holes. This site is not one of them. Many pick the cowboys to make the playoffs. The Cowboys have absolutely nobody on their d line behind their starters. And that’s in addition to the fact that the starting d linemen they do have don’t fit the 43. They have a poor secondary and a poor offensive line. The cowboys have more holes on their team this year than the Eagles do and the Eagles were 4 and 12 last year. That is not to say the Eagles are making the playoffs. But it is saying I don’t think the cowboys are either. Long year for Dallas fans. I just can’t stand the unnecessary and unwarranted hype the cowboys get year after year. They haven’t won a playoff game since Aikman was their quarterback.

6. cardslifer says: Sep 5, 2013 5:06 PM

As a Cowboys fan I just wish they weren’t in the headlines at all.

7. shanejacob55 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:14 PM

@mwitt5148
    How about you research things first? Romo has already won a playoff game

8. dallashomer says: Sep 5, 2013 5:15 PM

They beat the Eagles in a wild card game a few years back, babe. The Cowboys have been a mediocre franchise since ’96. We Cowboys fans know that; your record speaks for itself. As for the haters, deal with it. Sorry your franchise was late to the moniker assignment party. But we’re America’s Team.

9. athlete73 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:19 PM

MWitt must clearly be a delusional Eagles fan. The Cowboys have more holes than the Eagles??? A ridiculously off the mark statement! We were one game away from making the playoffs with 12 players on IR, many of which were starters. Your team, on the other hand quit last year. Same story every year (don’t forget McNabb, one of the most overrated QB’s of all time puking during the SB).

And by the way, Dallas did win a playoff game against your beloved Eagles. I agree, not much to brag about but certainly more than pulling for Philly, a team stuck in mediocrity and no SB’s since inception.

Start looking at mock drafts….you are guaranteed a top 3 pick in 2014!

10. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:29 PM

I forgot a about that game. One playoff win since Aikman which I was well aware of. I haven’t missed an eagles game since I was in 8th grade and that one is etched in my memory. Mcnabb playing air guitar before the game and then going out and laying an egg. Listen anybody who looks at what I comment on these boards knows I am not a delusional homer who toots his own teams horn as you clearly are doing. I call things as I see it. The eagles suck but the cowboys on paper do have more holes than the eagles. Do some research. So who has more credibility. Me who admits the eagles suck and am looking at both teams subjectively. Or you who is a Dallas fan tooting your teams horn. I’m guessing your not from Texas or went to school there either.

11. 1oldpro says: Sep 5, 2013 5:33 PM

Well, at least they still have Jay Ratliff!
    Wait…..What?

12. justintuckrule says: Sep 5, 2013 5:35 PM

—-
    There was a rainbow flag hanging outside the door to that party so the rest of us decided to drive right on by.

13. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:36 PM

Honestly I can’t believe I forgot about that one playoff win since I remember vividly being on the losing end of it. I do stand corrected. Mental error. Yes. Delusional homer. That buddy I am not.

14. justintuckrule says: Sep 5, 2013 5:40 PM

^ haha at mwitt. doesn’t know the difference between subjectively and objectively.

I bet when the doctor told him he was HIV negative, he thought he was dying. Costanza.

15. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:46 PM

I type everything on my iPhone which is why many of my posts are grammatically incorrect. I have a bachelors degree buddy and English was my favorite subject. Grow up.

16. Grulks says: Sep 5, 2013 6:31 PM

mwitt5148 said:

1.The Cowboys have absolutely nobody on their d line behind their starters.
    2. And that’s in addition to the fact that the starting d linemen they do have don’t fit the 43.
    3. They have a poor secondary
    4. and a poor offensive line.
    5. Long year for Dallas fans.
    6.I just can’t stand the unnecessary and unwarranted hype the cowboys get year after year.
    7. They haven’t won a playoff game since Aikman was their quarterback.
    1. Not having household names/name brands, and not having anyone are NOT the same thing. No one knew Kurt Warner or Tom Brady were going to be amazing until after blew up. George Selvie has shown serious potential. Caeser Rayford led the leagues in sacks in preseason. I would say they have people that can play.
    2. I didn’t realize that you were so knowledgeable about another team, YOU were the deciding factor on who fits 4-3 schemes. lucky for us, Dallas is uttilizing the T2 base. Guess what genius, NO defense out there sticks to their base alignment, whether its 3-4, 4-3, T2, 4-6, 6-4, whatever. Every player out there gets exposure to schemes.
    3. First if all, its clear you know nothing about T2 if you are talking secondary, so let me educate you: DBs are used to cover short routes in the flats, or blitz, not man coverage. Premiums are placed on LBs and DEs, not DBs. Second, Mo was outstanding his first year, Carr was excellent. Our Safeties are relatively new, jury is still out.
    4. OLine has been almost entirely revamped: three new players this year. How can you judge a line you havent seen play yet??
    5. HAHAHAHAHA!! This coming froma guy whose team is starting Riley Cooper?? Are you even being serious right now?!
    6. NOW we come to the most truthful thing you wrote, as well as the heart of the matter. You’re jealous of the attention Dallas gets. So what? Why do you care if they get hyped every year? Has it helped them any, or more importantly, has it hurt the eagles any? Then why care one way or another?
    7. Yeah, someone already ponted it out that Dallas smashed you beloved Eagles ( the third time that season unless I am mistaken) for a playoff win, but your glaring mistake deserves to be pointed out again for two reasons: A it highlights your lack of ANY credibility in your knowledge about Dallas B it shows you are so blinded by hatred and jealousy of Dallas, you cant think straight.

Its football. Its fine to dislike other teams, players, etc. But letting it consume you to the point of not thinking clearly is silly.

17. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 6:42 PM

I know about the Tampa 2. And yes I realize they don’t strictly play base. Every team runs a wide 9 or nine technique. Nickel and dime. And 43 and 34 alignments. You want to talk x and os I’d be glad to. You want to talk about 3 technique and 5 technique defensive ends or 0 technique where you line up straight in front of the o lineman. Maybe it bothers me that Dallas gets too much attention. But don’t question my football IQ. I simply stated that on paper they have a lot of holes which they do.

18. mwitt5148 says: Sep 5, 2013 6:49 PM

I was clearly embarrassed that I made such a glaring mental error about the playoff win especially when i vividly remember that game. However I don’t take kindly to personal attacks based on nothing else but team loyalty.

19. cmahdavi says: Sep 5, 2013 7:44 PM

mwitt – stop talking about yourself, degrees, football knowledge that is irrelevant and stick to the subject of argument:

1) Dallas’ D is not stacked with players who have experience or were drafted to play in that scheme. Maurice C (while a great man corner) will be wasted playing a short zone. Carr also is a great man to man db but that won’t matter. Also, since the corners play short zones and the mlb drops back to cover large chunk of middle of field (like Urlacher did like a boss) that means the pressure assuming offense keeps people in to block the stud dlinemen Dallas claims to have) is on the safeties.

Now honestly, Dallas safeties are not as good as most teams. So for Dallas to adopt a defense which calls upon a pass rush (which is as deep as two – one having 1 good year- pass rushers who were linebackers last year in a different system) and good saftey play…While having a linebacker core that has yet to stay healthy…Not a good idea.

Assuming the players from a different system learn and adopt this system quickly they will be at some point injured or in needing a rest and Dallas is now reliant on unproven players drafted for a different system to learn and excel quickly….what could go wrong…And saying that since Brady and pals were in the 6th or seventh round therefore ALL or ANY seventh rounders are safe bets to produce is a bad argument. One guy lit it up in preseason….see how he fares against starters…..

2) I love that Dallas gets the hype…Having to “explain” how such great teams constantly fail when it comes to making or staying in the playoffs is part of the reason for such high turnover in coaching….cuz it can’t be the players or God forbid the general manager would have to say he is not fit for the job….

3) The culture of Dallas has always been that of entitlement and Jerry’s world. He calls plays, overrides coaches’ picks for players, and makes questionable at best decisions when it comes to drafting (let’s look and see how many players from a draft a few years ago are still even on the team…answer ZERO (out of like 13 players) … Arguably worst draft of all time…

THEREFORE

Eagles do have holes but have a great Oline and not trusting people out of league for over a year and first round (in name only not talent) picks to hold up their end against giant and washington pass rush 2x a year. The Eagles personnel is a good fit for chip kelly (fast and athletic tackles for a start) and last year with their whole Oline hurt vick was throwing off his back most of the time…that is not the case this year…they will be a good team.

Eagles have fewer holes than Cowboys.

20. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 5, 2013 9:04 PM

dim-witt-5148

Do youorself a favor and just stop digging a deeper hole. You said the cowboys have more holes than the eagles which is just silly. Your eagles were the worst team in the NFC in 2012.

That eagle defense has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Can’t even begin to stop the run.

And Chip Kelly’s college offense? Come on man. Keep it real.

21. athlete73 says: Sep 5, 2013 9:28 PM

Let’s get out the anointing oil for Chip Kelly (aka. Steve Spurrier). He’ll be back in college in two years after a failed experience in the pros.

You seem to have a lot of faith in Vick playing a full season. Who many times has he accomplished that feat?? Hmmm? ONCE. Let’s be honest….Eagles will finish last in the East. They’ll be lucky to win 5 games!

22. athlete73 says: Sep 5, 2013 9:49 PM