Danny Amendola: I’m ready to go

Tom Brady, Danny Amendola AP

Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola landed on the Patriots’ initial injury report of the season Wednesday as a limited participant in practice because of a groin injury.

It wasn’t a particularly surprising inclusion as the Patriots are fond of listing plenty of players on the injury report even if there’s little chance they’ll miss a game and because Amendola has been no stranger to injury reports over the course of his career. On top of both those things, he missed a chunk of time in August because of the previously undisclosed injury. Whatever the injury report says, Amendola says he’s raring to go for Sunday’s opener.

“I’m sick of talking about it, I just want to go play, to be honest with you,” Amendola said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I’m excited about getting out there. I’m just ready to go.”

When Amendola was healthy in the preseason, he was on the field almost all of the time allotted to the starters and that figures to remain the case in the regular season as long as he’s healthy. That should mean a Wes Welker-type impact on the offense, especially with a callow group of receivers around him and tight end Rob Gronkowski.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Danny Amendola: I’m ready to go”
  1. mhcamp21 says: Sep 5, 2013 11:31 AM

Heres to a big year Amendola

2. rushmatic says: Sep 5, 2013 11:39 AM

I’m looking for big things. Very excited and hopeful for he and Thompkins with Dobson/Edelman.

3. denverwally says: Sep 5, 2013 11:50 AM

Wes Welker, v2.0. Bigger, faster, better hands, and equally elusive in the slot.

4. whiteknightblackheart says: Sep 5, 2013 11:51 AM

I put the over/under at games played this season by Amendola at 10. I will take the under.

5. solidarityrules says: Sep 5, 2013 11:52 AM

What is surprising is that a Patriots player is providing information to the media that questions the injury report. I expect Amendola to learn that the official policy is no news, keep ‘em guessing.

6. patsfansknowitall says: Sep 5, 2013 12:04 PM

This guy will be great if no one touches him and he doesn’t get tackled!

7. mtrhead269 says: Sep 5, 2013 12:08 PM

“Missed a chunk of time”. Give me a break. Missed five practices and a preseason game. Patriots regularly rest veterans during preseason. Lets see what he does when the games count.

8. jimmyt says: Sep 5, 2013 12:08 PM

Ready to go to the IR list.

9. marvsleezy says: Sep 5, 2013 12:27 PM

I had never really thought about it, but he is right, they really are a callow group.

10. salutethis says: Sep 5, 2013 12:30 PM

You are on my fantasy team, dola! You better be there!!!

11. somekat says: Sep 5, 2013 12:42 PM

He’s going from Bradford to Brady. I’m sure he’s so excited, you’d have to cut his leg off to get him to sit down

12. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 5, 2013 12:55 PM

Boy oh boy is Belichick about to welcome Danny boy to the Patriots. Talking about injuries?? “Good to go?” Dude, you don’t utter those words working for the Pats. You limp away from the facility to your car when you’re starting. You don’t tell the World!

13. tomcous says: Sep 5, 2013 1:05 PM

#jimmyt says:
    Sep 5, 2013 12:08 PM
    Ready to go to the IR list.

————

I was think that he hadn’t finished the sentence … but you beat me to the punchline

14. dirtybird70 says: Sep 5, 2013 1:09 PM

I have him and Brady in my big money FFL, so yeah I’m rooting for him. Except when they play my Falcons Sept 29th :)

15. tomcous says: Sep 5, 2013 1:09 PM

Face it Pats fans … Amendola is very talented, but he will not be a 16 game a year WR. High Reward when he plays, but you better have a solid plan B …

Tompkins looks good and Sudfeld looks good, but Mr. & Mrs. Gisele would sleep a lot better with Welker there …

16. buddysguys says: Sep 5, 2013 1:21 PM

…to the hospital.

Should have been the finish to this sentence.

17. surfinbird1 says: Sep 5, 2013 1:35 PM

He’ll have a bigger year than Wes. He already got injured during pre-season playing with pizza boy Manning.

18. ampats says: Sep 5, 2013 2:04 PM

I love me some Wes Welker and was extremely disappointed he left, but as any Pats fan will tell you Wes is on the down side of his career. He was offered 8M per season for two years last year.Danny Amendola is a younger, faster more explosive receiver when healthy.

The biggest difference for Amendola he know has a HOF QB throwing to him and not hanging him out over the middle like Bradford did which will hopefully cut down on injuries.

19. dalcow4 says: Sep 5, 2013 2:08 PM

How the season is likely to unfold:

Amendola misses one or two games early: Pat Fan rabidly defends him.

Amendola misses a couple more: Pat Fan says “Yeah but he will be there for us in the Super Bowl run”.

Amendola misses several more: Pat Fan turns completely, “He’s a bum! Get rid of him! Why did Kraft make the Genius let Welker go!?”

20. thesteelskirt says: Sep 5, 2013 2:13 PM

Amen sola got injured on outside the hash passes last year, he didn’t get hung out to dry by any QB. Blaming a QB for his injuries is total bull, he isn’t known as delicate Danny for nothing.

21. tedmurph says: Sep 6, 2013 4:41 AM

dalcow4 says:Sep 5, 2013 2:08 PM

How the season is likely to unfold:

Amendola misses one or two games early: Pat Fan rabidly defends him.

———————————————————-

dalcow4 is completely wrong, as usual, and we don’t hear from him again. Until the next bag of BS he comes up with.

22. xxsweepthelegxx says: Sep 6, 2013 8:02 AM

Lets a year or two before the Welker vs Amendola comparisons. Welker was great for the Pats, but he never got along with BB and had a knack for dropping the “big one.” He also caught A LOT of important ones too though.

The injury thing is overblown. Wes blew his knee out (non-contact) but it was at the end of the season, week 16 I think (someone will correct me :)) He would have missed the majority of the season had that happened earlier in the year.

Amendola also had that weird elbow thing (non-contact) and the clavicle/lung one. He isn’t exactly missing games with hamstring soreness and such.

Either way, Wes will be missed but I’m excited for what Amendola can do as well. Things will sort themselves out in years to come one whether it was a smart move or not